Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Finger Combing for a month/few months/year challenge!

Length
    APL/BSL/TBD
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Default Finger Combing for a month/few months/year challenge!

Much in the same spirit as the Wear your hair up challenge, I wanted to start a thread for finger combing!

I was inspired by Vanilla's Finger combing only in August 2016 challenge, which can be found here. I personally completed the month challenge , and came with the idea to have this be an ongoing thing (you guys asked, and you shall receive!)

This thread is for everyone, not just those who completed the initial challenge, so feel free to join!

Now for the "rules":
    • No brushes or wide tooth combs for whichever amount of time you desire
    • Post here to check in whenever you see fit so everyone knows how far you have come, with which day/week/month/year(?!) you are on!

Exceptions to the "rules":
    • If you have bangs that can only be tamed/shaped with a brush, it's totally understandable and it won't "disqualify" you. Bangs are such a small portion of hair, this is just to ensure that the lengths are being finger combed
    • If you come across significant tangles that can only be handled with a brush, don't sacrifice your hair for the sake of this challenge
    • If you need to wean yourself off of your brushes/combs and interchange their usage with finger combing, that's fine! You can always come here for support in your transition!
    • If you stretch washes and need to detangle with a brush/comb on wash day out of necessity only, then you are still eligible to join. As long as you are majority finger-combing you are still good to go. Come here to report on your finger detangling days and let us know when you need to use your heavy-duty detangling method. When logging your days, simply start the count again after those days (example: days 1-6 finger detangling, skip the tally on wash day, days 7-12, skip etc.)

The purpose of this challenge: To overcome the dependance on brushes and combs, and the mechanical damage that comes with over-doing their usage. Finger detangling is great for getting more intimate with your hair (as strange as that sounds!) to really feel what's going on with it.

Who's with me?? I'm going to try for a year!
    Last edited by vampyyri; September 1st, 2016 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Updates to the rules/exceptions

Lady Scarlette, Traveler of the Road to Dawn in the Order of Long Haired Knights
    Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds.
    You can grow flowers, or you can grow weeds. ☽◯☾

Length
    Waist/BSL/TBD
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Default Re: Finger Combing only for a month/few months/year challenge!

I'm going to start with a week. The first week it will be fingercomb first then run a comb through (to wean myself, I hope that is okay) and after that if I like it I will go to finger combing only.
    Cut 12 inches back to BSL and donated it. Now just doing whatever I feel like. Won't be going any shorter than BSL.

Length
    APL/BSL/TBD
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by RebekahE View Post
    I'm going to start with a week. The first week it will be fingercomb first then run a comb through (to wean myself, I hope that is okay) and after that if I like it I will go to finger combing only.
    Weaning is totally fine! No worries in fact, I will add that to the OP

Lady Scarlette, Traveler of the Road to Dawn in the Order of Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

What if you have a "system" that you finger detangle during the week, but comb/brush right before and after a wash? I suppose that disqualifies me, no?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    APL/BSL/TBD
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    What if you have a "system" that you finger detangle during the week, but comb/brush right before and after a wash? I suppose that disqualifies me, no?
    I just made an exception that I think will work!

If you stretch washes and need to detangle with a brush/comb on wash day out of necessity only, then you are still eligible to join. As long as you are majority finger-combing you are still good to go. Come here to report on your finger detangling days and let us know when you need to use your heavy-duty detangling method. When logging your days, simply start the count again after those days (example: days 1-6 finger detangling, skip the tally on wash day, days 7-12, skip etc.)
    I really need to get a mod to take out the "only" in the thread title

Length
    CLB+/APL/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I'm in! By now, I wanna complete one month without combs touching my hair (I don't have brushes).

I've been finger combing my hair since 25th Aug.

I'm wearing my hair up in a bun for this month after I detangle it with my fingers and I don't see any benefit from combs since my hair is all protected

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by vampyyri View Post
    I just made an exception that I think will work!
    Yeah, I was a tad confused by that. I guess I can stick to my weekly finger detangling. It works for me. Thanks!!!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    APL/BSL/TBD
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Stepo_NiNha View Post
    I'm in! By now, I wanna complete one month without combs touching my hair (I don't have brushes).

I've been finger combing my hair since 25th Aug.

I'm wearing my hair up in a bun for this month after I detangle it with my fingers and I don't see any benefit from combs since my hair is all protected
    Woo! Welcome fellow double-challenger! I'm looking forward to hearing how it all goes for you! :cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Yeah, I was a tad confused by that. I guess I can stick to my weekly finger detangling. It works for me. Thanks!!!
    Yay! Glad to have you on board! be sure to let us know how it's going on here!

Length
    WL/TBL/FTL?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I don't comb at all for a week and only run a wide toothed comb through my hair before the wash, just like Lapushka. So I am in as well

Length
    CLB+/APL/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by vampyyri View Post
    Woo! Welcome fellow double-challenger! I'm looking forward to hearing how it all goes for you! :cheers:

Yay! Glad to have you on board! be sure to let us know how it's going on here!
    Thanks! I'll keep you posted!