PDA

View Full Version : Wondering about others with 2a fine hair like me

mariazelie
June 18th, 2016, 07:15 AM
What is your hair like after shampooing for the comb out? I have a patch on top at the back by my crown that is the most snarly. Is it the little wave and curls that make it harder to comb? Just wondering how others manage this hair type and how you feel about it.

lapushka
June 18th, 2016, 07:20 AM
Judging from your avatar pic you might be more wavy than you think. Try posting a hairtyping picture for us to see, then type you. You just S/C and toweldry, don't touch your hair with a comb - nothing. Just let it dry then snap a picture.

That might be the reason you have an issue with combing out that "patch" of hair.

Also, are you using good moisturizing conditioners? I generally tend to use conditioners for dry, damaged hair on my lengths. Not because my hair is dry or damaged (it's virgin hair), but because those are the most moisturizing conditioners on the market. It will make it to the point where it's tangle-free, or as good as, which will make combing out a breeze.

pailin
June 18th, 2016, 07:38 AM
I tend to get knots at the right side of my nape, for some strange reason.
My hair requires really heavy moisturizing conditioners. But what I've recently begun doing is to not comb it until it's dry. I think I learned that from one of Gossamer's videos - she braids her hair while still wet then puts it up, but doesn't detangle until later. She said in the video that most of the tangles aren't real, they're only because it's wet. So I finally tried that, and if I wait until my hair is dry, detangling is actually really easy now! I know it's not good for waves (frizz) but I don't care, I'm never combing it wet again! And usually bunning it for a while takes care of the frizz.
ETA I can see now that if I try to detangle wet hair, it's like every knot I undo generates a bunch more in the undoing.

vampyyri
June 18th, 2016, 07:49 AM
I have this same issue with my crown if I comb my hair with conditioner when my head is flipped over, and flip back. So I normally don't flip my hair over my head to detangle anymore, it just causes more tangles!

Also make sure you're not doing it post-shampoo, and detangle when you have conditioner in your hair. I've tried to detangle post-shampoo and it's nearly impossible, I need the slip of a conditioner to help.

Beezle
June 18th, 2016, 07:57 AM
Seconding Pailin's recommendation to leave detangling til hair is completely dry. I started this (with great reservations) also because of Gossamer's advice and continue to be amazed that my tangle-prone hair benefits greatly from this method.

turtlelover
June 18th, 2016, 07:59 AM
Yes, I also have discovered that it is best to not detangle till my hair is dry. There are times when I HAVE to, in order to look presentable, but when I have a choice, I let it totally dry before touching it.

diddiedaisy
June 18th, 2016, 08:12 AM
I find it easy to comb through my hair after shampooing and conditioning. I tend to use heavy conditioners though, so it could be that. The only time it's knotty and I wouldn't be able comb through is when I've just dyed, so I don't bother until it's had a good conditioning. Maybe you need to change your products, I usually use products for dry hair so you get extra moisturising.

lapushka
June 18th, 2016, 08:18 AM
Please, if you have *any* wave to your hair, do *not* comb or brush it when dry, or it will go *POOF*. ;)

vampyyri
June 18th, 2016, 08:33 AM
Please, if you have *any* wave to your hair, do *not* comb or brush it when dry, or it will go *POOF*. ;)

I can attest to this statement, I learned the hard way and only remedied it yesterday :lol:

lithostoic
June 18th, 2016, 08:38 AM
My hair is quite a bit straighter than yours but uncharacteristically tangly for my hair type. If your hair is snarly when wet, I suggest brushing dry right before getting into the shower to wash your hair. Then do it a second time in the shower, only this time with a gentler comb and hair that is wet and soaked in conditioner.

lapushka
June 18th, 2016, 08:56 AM
My hair is quite a bit straighter than yours but uncharacteristically tangly for my hair type. If your hair is snarly when wet, I suggest brushing dry right before getting into the shower to wash your hair. Then do it a second time in the shower, only this time with a gentler comb and hair that is wet and soaked in conditioner.

I do this too, saves your drain while you're at it too!

Pre-comb, pre-brush your hair before washing it. This will get a lot of the sheds out. Hair will also shed while it's being washed so either comb when washing the hair (when it's full of conditioner), or do it straight after towel-drying when damp and before styling! That's what I do and it does not compromise my wave pattern whatsoever.

polarnatt
June 19th, 2016, 02:00 AM
I second (or third) the pre-wash plus mid-wash brushing with conditioner in, it's the easiest and most efficient way for me to detangle. I use a tangle teezer very gently starting from the ends and going section by section, and after the shower, only scrunching products in and sometimes plopping.

If I feel like my hair has tangled during the day and needs to be brushed, I do it and fix the inevitable poof with coconut oil, it works surprisingly well for me if I have enough moisture in my hair. I mean sometimes it doesn't work, sometimes it does, but definitely worth a try if you decide to brush your hair dry and it gets all poofy.

Nesoi
June 19th, 2016, 02:04 AM
I also used to get a weird tangly patch at the back of my crown, on one side, when my hair was at about your length. How strange! And I would always be like HOW ARE YOU TANGLING THERE ;D when it seemed like that part should be safe!

what are you doing with your hair to sleep? For me it was really just a case of growing long enough that I could pigtail or loose-scrunchie 'pineapple' for sleep. I also only detangle before I wash and the rest of the time just finger-comb.

pailin
June 19th, 2016, 02:25 AM

In my case, it's totally worth it. I have tried not combing or brushing dry, and it looks absolutely awful. I know it's supposed to work, and I'm not supposed to comb it dry, but mine only ever looks stringy and unkempt if I try this. I think my hair just doesn't have enough wave/curl for that to work, although I do have enough for frizz/poof. If I comb it wet, when it's dry it still looks uncombed. So if I wait and detangle it dry, at least I can detangle easily, and I almost always immediately bun it or braid it, so it doesn't matter if it poofs anyway. If I do want to leave it down, I just bun it for an hour or so while I get ready in the morning and have my coffee, and it usually looks pretty good when I take it down.

mariazelie
June 19th, 2016, 03:35 AM
I tend to get knots at the right side of my nape, for some strange reason.
My hair requires really heavy moisturizing conditioners. But what I've recently begun doing is to not comb it until it's dry. I think I learned that from one of Gossamer's videos - she braids her hair while still wet then puts it up, but doesn't detangle until later. She said in the video that most of the tangles aren't real, they're only because it's wet. So I finally tried that, and if I wait until my hair is dry, detangling is actually really easy now! I know it's not good for waves (frizz) but I don't care, I'm never combing it wet again! And usually bunning it for a while takes care of the frizz.
ETA I can see now that if I try to detangle wet hair, it's like every knot I undo generates a bunch more in the undoing.

That is exactly what I have been wondering, but I have been afraid to try not doing the wet combing, because I envisioned a dried mess! I may just try this next time, pailin.

mariazelie
June 19th, 2016, 03:48 AM
Judging from your avatar pic you might be more wavy than you think. Try posting a hairtyping picture for us to see, then type you. You just S/C and toweldry, don't touch your hair with a comb - nothing. Just let it dry then snap a picture.

That might be the reason you have an issue with combing out that "patch" of hair.

Also, are you using good moisturizing conditioners? I generally tend to use conditioners for dry, damaged hair on my lengths. Not because my hair is dry or damaged (it's virgin hair), but because those are the most moisturizing conditioners on the market. It will make it to the point where it's tangle-free, or as good as, which will make combing out a breeze.

lapushka, the atavar is the one I took after hair typing. I think it was Spidermom a few months ago that said "Why did I type my hair at 1a?" Well, she was right. I followed the directions, and the atavar showing is what I ended up with. When wet, my hair is more spiral-ish. Perhaps I'll try the atavar again, because it looks like I brushed my hair out in that photo. I don't remember.

As for moisturizers, I use Biolage leave it sometimes and conditioner sometimes, and do primarily WO washing, which works pretty good. Sometimes a bit of vinegar in water and then rinse it out. I just kind of gave up on trying products. And as dumb as it sounds, trying to read all the ingredients that sound like "something-xyz" and referring back to the lists drives me crazy. I use sulfate free and other things. What are your favorite moisturizers? What I dislike is that no matter how I finish up, my wet hair dries looking stiff. But brushing it out makes it loose the definition of the wave. I really don't wear my hair down much, it is much shorter now than it was and the beautician cannot keep herself from the layering a bit. I plan to let it grow longer again because I have much less of a tangle issue than I did six months ago. Tangles are worse in winter, but LHC has helped me to solve a lot of problems. I used to dread washing my hair. At least I am past that. Thanks LHC !

mariazelie
June 19th, 2016, 03:53 AM
I have this same issue with my crown if I comb my hair with conditioner when my head is flipped over, and flip back. So I normally don't flip my hair over my head to detangle anymore, it just causes more tangles!

Also make sure you're not doing it post-shampoo, and detangle when you have conditioner in your hair. I've tried to detangle post-shampoo and it's nearly impossible, I need the slip of a conditioner to help.

So do you detangle in the shower? I did try that with better result than I thought I would get, but I had to use so much conditioner. Then do you rinse and just let it dry?

mariazelie
June 19th, 2016, 03:54 AM
Beezle and turtlelover: thanks for the vote for no combing wet, I think I will just have to try this!

mariazelie
June 19th, 2016, 04:02 AM

My hair looks all gelled and stiff when it is dry; it dries in these separate little spiral things. My hair doesn't look frizzy after I brush, but just disappointingly straighter. I have often thought I would like frizz and poof just for the sake of fullness, but probably not...nobody wants frizz. My hair was not like this when I was younger, especially as a child. My mother swears my hair was straight. That is why I have so mistaken my hair type and that is why I am wondering if I have been taking care of it wrong and could be getting better results, so I just decided to see what the rest of you do with 2a fine hair. Does anyone else think their hair looks stiff when dry? And this is not dependent on product, but no matter what I do. Next time I wash, I will post a wet and post shampoo-untouched dry photo and see if anyone relates. It may be a few days before I wash, because I stretch washes.

mariazelie
June 19th, 2016, 04:08 AM
I also used to get a weird tangly patch at the back of my crown, on one side, when my hair was at about your length. How strange! And I would always be like HOW ARE YOU TANGLING THERE ;D when it seemed like that part should be safe!

what are you doing with your hair to sleep? For me it was really just a case of growing long enough that I could pigtail or loose-scrunchie 'pineapple' for sleep. I also only detangle before I wash and the rest of the time just finger-comb.
I rarely sleep with my hair loose, usually a braid at the back. It's funny, but the patch that gets the most tangly is probably the least effected by tossing and turning, as I think very little of that part touches anything! This is why I love asking everyone what they experience. I don't feel so alone anymore! (or crazy!)

mariazelie
June 19th, 2016, 04:11 AM
In my case, it's totally worth it. I have tried not combing or brushing dry, and it looks absolutely awful. I know it's supposed to work, and I'm not supposed to comb it dry, but mine only ever looks stringy and unkempt if I try this. I think my hair just doesn't have enough wave/curl for that to work, although I do have enough for frizz/poof. If I comb it wet, when it's dry it still looks uncombed. So if I wait and detangle it dry, at least I can detangle easily, and I almost always immediately bun it or braid it, so it doesn't matter if it poofs anyway. If I do want to leave it down, I just bun it for an hour or so while I get ready in the morning and have my coffee, and it usually looks pretty good when I take it down.

It sounds like my hair is pretty much like yours. That is what I experience, and putting it up, it usually has had a transformation when I take it back down again. It's also better the second day, etc; which is why I stretch washes.

pailin
June 19th, 2016, 04:22 AM
That is exactly what I have been wondering, but I have been afraid to try not doing the wet combing, because I envisioned a dried mess! I may just try this next time, pailin.

That's what I feared too, and my fears were totally ungrounded. I found that detangling in the morning (I wash at night, so it's dry in the morning) is no easier if I detangled it wet at night than if I just slept on it without detangling. So why bother wet detangling? It's just useless extra manipulation and hassle for me.

lapushka
June 19th, 2016, 04:25 AM
lWhat are your favorite moisturizers? What I dislike is that no matter how I finish up, my wet hair dries looking stiff. But brushing it out makes it loose the definition of the wave. I really don't wear my hair down much, it is much shorter now than it was and the beautician cannot keep herself from the layering a bit. I plan to let it grow longer again because I have much less of a tangle issue than I did six months ago. Tangles are worse in winter, but LHC has helped me to solve a lot of problems. I used to dread washing my hair. At least I am past that. Thanks LHC !

The Herbal Essences Hello Hydration is a fave of mine! It's an awesome detangler (does have silicone in it, though). I recently scored a hair mask from our local Aldi (brand name: Kyrell / Belgium) and it's got argan oil as the third (yes third) ingredient, and it's without silicones. It is awesome. You just have to keep your eyes peeled for good conditioners that are targeted more toward dry, damaged hair. Those are the most moisturizing.

mariazelie
June 19th, 2016, 08:12 PM
The Herbal Essences Hello Hydration is a fave of mine! It's an awesome detangler (does have silicone in it, though). I recently scored a hair mask from our local Aldi (brand name: Kyrell / Belgium) and it's got argan oil as the third (yes third) ingredient, and it's without silicones. It is awesome. You just have to keep your eyes peeled for good conditioners that are targeted more toward dry, damaged hair. Those are the most moisturizing.

I will try the Herbal Essences Hello Hydration and/or some conditioners for the dry and damaged hair. I may try more conditioner at the bottom, too and see how it dries. It's funny to me that WO gives me the least tangles, but I can experiment with some of the conditioners and diluted shampoo. Thanks, Lapushka.

Anje
June 19th, 2016, 08:40 PM
Mine can be a bit tangly if I only condition below the ears. I tend to get a little conditioner on my fingers and put it on the canopy on top, just not working it down to the scalp. That helps.

Definitely see if you can put off detangling till your hair dries. It isn't half bad when I do that. But I detangle when it's wet after the shower all the same, mostly out of habit.

ETA: I shed like crazy if I detangle in the shower, so I don't do that.

Anya15
June 19th, 2016, 08:50 PM
How I detangle-

The night before a wash, I oil, so I finger detangle with the oil in.

Pre wash, I finger detangle when my hair is dry (but it's oiled, which gives me some slip.) This helps remove the sheds before I get my hair wet. Shed hair can get stuck and cause more tangles.

After washing, I detangle with my fingers very gently with conditioner in (at this point I have almost zero tangles)

After rinsing out the conditioner, when I put my aloe gel in I rake my fingers through my hair to check for tangles. By this time I should have none.

After drying I finger detangle. At the most I will find one or two tangles.

Between washes I need a WT comb only once every two or three days. Rest of the time my fingers are sufficient. :)

mariazelie
June 20th, 2016, 07:08 AM
anou, your hair is very pretty

polarnatt
June 20th, 2016, 12:46 PM
My favorite moisturizing product (apart from oils) is the leave-in conditioner by Alba Botanica, which does have coconut oil in it, but doesn't give me the crunchy feeling pure coconut oil sometimes does. It's very affordable and my APL length hair only needs the smallest amount since the product is very creamy and thick, I'd recommend it to anyone! :) Plus, if you end up not liking it as a leave in, it works great as a frizz smoother and before shower protection, it really is a multi-use product.

I've noticed that finger combing just doesn't work for me - I shed a lot more and the tangles just get even more knotty, I have no idea why. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I don't know, but my trusty old tangle teezer works way better and damages my hair less than my fingers, lol. :)

Anje
June 20th, 2016, 01:08 PM
I've noticed that finger combing just doesn't work for me - I shed a lot more and the tangles just get even more knotty, I have no idea why. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I don't know, but my trusty old tangle teezer works way better and damages my hair less than my fingers, lol. :)

I'm still figuring out the finger-detangling thing, but what I've found is that it's not really a matter of raking my fingers through my hair. At least, not until it's nearly done. Most of the process is finding the knots and smoothing them out between two fingers so they unravel. Also, I need to do this with dry hair and dry fingers, or I end up with my hair just sticking to things and snagging.

Anya15
June 21st, 2016, 12:08 AM
anou, your hair is very pretty

Thank you! TBH my hair averages at M but I have a mix of everything. A good proportion of them are fine.

mariazelie
June 22nd, 2016, 05:32 AM
I have tried letting my hair dry after shampooing without combing, without touching it, and nothing horrible happened! I will continue to experiment with this.

pailin
June 22nd, 2016, 06:49 AM
I have tried letting my hair dry after shampooing without combing, without touching it, and nothing horrible happened! I will continue to experiment with this.

Great! I'm glad to hear it went ok.

mariazelie
July 6th, 2016, 04:18 PM
I am still not combing my hair out wet and it's working just fine. I can't believe it. It is because of the wave?

pailin
July 6th, 2016, 07:00 PM
When hair is wet, it swells and the cuticle doesn't lie as flat, so it can catch itself more. Or at least that's the idea. Think of velcro. There might be factors related to hair texture though; I suspect that wavy hair may tend to be more tangly than straight hair. But there's a lot of variability, and I think I remember someone in a thread once talking about how they used to take care of two little girls, sisters, with superficially identical hair, but only one with big tangle problems.
I guess all I really know for sure is that my hair is soooooooo much easier to comb dry.

turtlelover
July 7th, 2016, 05:49 AM

I think it depends on your particular hair type. Most of my coarse haired friends, or friends that are approaching true curly status, have problems brushing and combing when dry, but honestly, my hair tolerates it very well, and can basically look like I've had hot rollers in it when I brush it out my waves if the layering is done correctly. However, it only works if I don't mess with it until it is 100 percent dry, and only if I don't use products like gel, etc. My hair looks thin and awful if I don't comb/brush it out after it dries. The waves just lay too flat to my head and and look very sad and unkempt and gel and products just seem to add to the issue. Textbook advice just doesn't work for my hair! The curly girl method also makes it look like their was an oil spill on my head and gives me scalp issues. Blah!

lapushka
July 7th, 2016, 05:54 AM
I think it depends on your particular hair type. Most of my coarse haired friends, or friends that are approaching true curly status, have problems brushing and combing when dry, but honestly, my hair tolerates it very well, and can basically look like I've had hot rollers in it when I brush it out my waves if the layering is done correctly. However, it only works if I don't mess with it until it is 100 percent dry, and only if I don't use products like gel, etc. My hair looks thin and awful if I don't comb/brush it out after it dries. The waves just lay too flat to my head and and look very sad and unkempt and gel and products just seem to add to the issue. Textbook advice just doesn't work for my hair! The curly girl method also makes it look like their was an oil spill on my head and gives me scalp issues. Blah!

I get terrible poof when I comb dry. OMG, it's terrible. It's always been like that. YMMV, I guess. :)

turtlelover
July 7th, 2016, 06:20 AM
I get terrible poof when I comb dry. OMG, it's terrible. It's always been like that. YMMV, I guess. :)

I do too without layers when my hair is blunt cut, but with just the right amount of layering, I have very brushable hair. Your hair is also thicker than mine, so that is a factor. I'm almost a iii but not quite! If I had more hair, it would probably be a different story.

pailin
July 7th, 2016, 07:18 AM
Mine gets a little frizzy, but it doesn't really poof. On the other hand, any time I try to not brush or comb dry (ie, morning after washing), it ends up a stringy mess that just looks like I haven't brushed it. A curlier mess. Maybe there's another factor in texture we're just not aware of.

lapushka
July 7th, 2016, 07:29 AM
Mine gets a little frizzy, but it doesn't really poof. On the other hand, any time I try to not brush or comb dry (ie, morning after washing), it ends up a stringy mess that just looks like I haven't brushed it. A curlier mess. Maybe there's another factor in texture we're just not aware of.

Maybe it also depends on the routine itself. Could be.

Anya15
July 7th, 2016, 10:50 PM
Maybe it also depends on the routine itself. Could be.

I would say this does depend on routine. Pre LHC my hair used to look stringy and sad when left to air dry. Now it looks good enough. Combing dry on the first day just leads to poof. Second day and later, I do comb sometimes.

pailin
July 7th, 2016, 11:49 PM
I think routine is part of it. I don't have nearly the stringyness and flatness problems I had when I used moisturizing shampoos for dry/ hair. It's just been a matter of managing to get enough moisture into the length. But no matter what I do, I still have the unkempt look of having combed my hair with a pillow if I don't comb it dry. Not unless I get it so overloaded that it's full-on oil slick.
Actually I don't get poof really, but I do get some fluffiness,which I think is related. It's just the fluffiness looks waaaaay better than the didn't-comb-my-hair look. It also makes my hair look blonder and brighter.