PDA

View Full Version : Trimming advice

HeartofHaleth
January 15th, 2016, 10:28 PM
Hello!
I'd like to do a bit of a self-trim, since my ends are getting scraggly and my hairdresser always cuts off too much...:(
I want a bit of a U-shape, using Feye's method. I plan on picking up some haircutting shears to use. Any advice/ wise words of comfort?

Sarahlabyrinth
January 15th, 2016, 10:46 PM
Cut less than you want to. You can always cut more, later, but while you are just learning, just cut a little bit until you get it figured out. :) Have fun:) I love self - trimming.

Jo Ann
January 15th, 2016, 10:47 PM
Trim in little bits--about 1/2" (about 1 cm)...it's always better to cut off a little than a lot ;)

And use those shears ONLY for cutting hair! :)

Islandgrrl
January 15th, 2016, 11:24 PM
As they say, measure twice, cut once. When you band your hair for Feye's method, practice a few times first...make sure it looks right before you cut. Then micro trim. You can always cut more later if you need/want.

lapushka
January 16th, 2016, 06:03 AM
I agree! :agree: Study her guidelines well, print them out if you have to, or write them down. Then go slow. Make a ponytail, make sure it's all even, do it again if it's not perfect. Then cut a *small* amount of hair for the V shape, and cut a small amount again to even it out into a U (you need to put a V into it first). So you need to snip twice, keep that in mind!

Groovy Granny
January 16th, 2016, 10:40 AM
A 'short cut' of sorts is the under the chin method (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=134527&page=2&p=3103454&viewfull=1#post3103454) by spidermom.

I actually prefer it and get better results..... just look ahead, making sure the hair is even and snug under my chin with a hair tie.
Then I use a small crea clip,starting from the tie and sliding it to the end..... but I used to just use my fingers; Spidermom uses a book, closing the hair between the covers.

Occasionally when I am done that I will do a middle part, bring my hair to the front, and then compare each side to be sure they are even;but one snip usually gives a soft U shape hemline.

Good luck; hope you post pics :popcorn:

Anje
January 16th, 2016, 01:28 PM
Cut less than you want to. You can always cut more, later, but while you are just learning, just cut a little bit until you get it figured out. :) Have fun:) I love self - trimming.

This. Cut less than you want.

Also, if you're not happy after two tries, stop anyway. You can always just tuck it into a bun so no one can see the ends. Perfectionism has cost a few people more inches than they wanted, and it's hard to get perfection when you're dealing with the back of your own head, or to determine that you've achieved it.