PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with layers?

calmyogi
December 5th, 2014, 06:36 PM
I have noticed that a lot of people seem to be proud of the fact that they have a even hemline. I was just wondering what's wrong with layers, or why people strive to have all layers of hair the same length?

Is there anyone on here that last classic length hair or beyond with layers?

pearlsandpinups
December 5th, 2014, 06:42 PM
I can't speak for everyone and I certainly don't have classic length hair or beyond, but I don't mind layers at all! :) I think they can look quite lovely with long hair (As can an even hemline with all one length!) and it's just a different look!

Maybe some people don't like them because they do tend to make certain braids and updos a pain? Like you get little layers sticking out of your braids which definitely doesn't look as nice!

Elly May
December 5th, 2014, 06:46 PM
I have BSL hair that is straight, thin and fine. Layers make my hair look like it got caught in the weed whacker or chewed on. It makes my hair look thinner and stragglier. I have tried them repeatedly and they just don't work with my hair. However, I think they look incredible on people with more body, wave or curl. I'm jealous....

Also, for me it is much easier to braid or bun my hair without layers, but I struggle on a good day anyway. :)

arr
December 5th, 2014, 06:50 PM
There is nothing wrong with layers at all, and quite a few members like them, but you are right, the majority seem to prefer an even hemline, myself included. One reason is because many wear their hair up or in a braid most of the time, and layers poke out of braids and updos. Another reason is it is easier to trim one length hair, especially if you are doing it at home yourself. Another reason is because many like to do their own cuts/trims instead of going to a salon and it can be difficult to cut layers yourself. Ive noticed that those who enjoy wearing their hair down often have layers, which can add some interest and movement to the hair. Really its whatever you like and what works best for you personally.

alabaster
December 5th, 2014, 06:55 PM
I think it mostly has to do with the sticking out of the layers when doing certain styles. I am not sure if i am going to try for a blunt hemline or a layered hemline when i get longer. My hair is so think i think it might be crazy with it all one length.

minaa
December 5th, 2014, 07:20 PM
There is no demonization of layers here. :) Just personal preferences. Many ladies have braided styles, and braid shred (where you have bits and pieces sticking out of your braid as you go down the taper) is not to many members' likings, as a clean braid all the way down is generally preferred. There's no braid police, either--it's just what tends to be the preference here.

Layers are great when you wear your hair down a lot. The movement is lovely! And if you have thick hair like mine, layers take a lot of weight off. I'm growing out to an even hemline now, though, because I want to do different braided styles and more buns. :) And I want to see how thick I can get my ends.

Robot Ninja
December 5th, 2014, 07:21 PM
They stick out of updos and braids, that's what's wrong with them. My braids look like caterpillars after a few hours. I think the taper also makes braids look thinner; at least I always think my braids are thinner than they are, because the part I can pull over my shoulder is pretty thin.

That said, I do have classic-length hair with layers, and I'm keeping them. I like wearing my hair down and I don't want triangle head. I trim them using the ponytail on top of my head method.

Sterlyn
December 5th, 2014, 07:26 PM
I love long layered hair and I wish I had the thickness to wear it. My hair is far to fine with only a 2.5" circumference at it's widest, so I've learned from experience that my hair just looks thin and straggly with layers. I need all the thickness I can get on my ends. ;)

Beckstar
December 5th, 2014, 07:29 PM
There's absolutely nothing wrong with layers. I love them.

Hotrox
December 5th, 2014, 07:34 PM
I think that there is also the idea that hair all one length is less prone to damage on the ends, safety in number!

I enjoy my layers, my hair is so much better with them although I'm trying to shorten the distance between the shortest layer and the ends so my hemline will look fuller.

zen_oven
December 5th, 2014, 07:35 PM
I have to have layers or I get triangle head, or it's just so heavy it pulls it down and I just look, well, odd. I've had layers for years and love them. They are kind of a must for curly hair like mine. :)

Hotrox
December 5th, 2014, 07:35 PM
I think that there is also the idea that hair all one length is less prone to damage on the ends, safety in number!

I enjoy my layers, my hair is so much better with them although I'm trying to shorten the distance between the shortest layer and the ends so my hemline will look fuller.

Nadine <3
December 5th, 2014, 07:37 PM
Nothing wrong with them, I just don't like them on myself.

Madora
December 5th, 2014, 07:41 PM
Layers, to some (including me) are aesthetically unappealing as the hair looks choppy/butchered. Whereas, one length hair (if it has been well maintained) looks like a burnished mirror and has a delightful "swing" to it that creates the illusion of healthy hair...and thicker hair, too.

Then there's the problem of fighting with your layered hair when you're trying to do a beautiful updo! Those little bits and pieces springing up in the most unexpected places can drive you nuts!

Lastly, it is a lot easier to S and D one length hair, than it is hair that is layered!

Most of the folks who are yearning for uber long tresses, tend to wear their hair up to protect it, so layers aren't really necessary since their hair is never out and free flowing (well, most of the time). Personally, I could never see the need for layers. Layers might give the illusion of having thicker, more voluminous hair than you really possess, but the trade off in protectiveness is not worth it. Also, layers really have to be kept up (refreshed?) to look in tip top shape. Shaggy layers ...just...no!

captaincrunch
December 5th, 2014, 07:51 PM
I have layers and am 3" from reaching classic. I liked having layers until I got around waist. Now I want an even hemline. The reasons are because it makes the ends too thin at this length. And because my hair has to be in a bun now that it is this length and the layers stick out. I have to pin them.

calmyogi
December 5th, 2014, 08:15 PM
Ok. Everyone's answers makes since. I was just wondering because I have layers, but I wish I didn't now days so I could just trim my hair at home by myself. So, I was curious why others did or didn't like them.

Puffer Fish
December 5th, 2014, 08:28 PM
I used to have layers, and with the waviness of my hair, combined with my lack of heat styling it into submission, made me look disheveled and ridiculous a lot of the time.
My hair was also very, very short then (pixie mullet of doom) so that didn't help anything.

Hibernis
December 5th, 2014, 08:30 PM
I personally find that in addition to giving my hair a more lovely shape, layers make for easier S+D. I haven't had my hair cut in 6 months, and being able to take out 100% of a split end without making the ends look ragged has been a huge part of that. It all just blends in and I get compliments on what a nice haircut I got after a solid S+D (I say thank you and laugh to myself). I went from collar bone to APL, and until I can get an APL braid I wouldn't consider a straight hem.

That said, I do have to base my updos on my layers and my hair went from being 2a to 2b/c with better care so I can hide a lot of unevenness. I did lots of half-ups to start, but I've found that now that I'm long enough to twist a bun under itself and tuck the ends away, I can do full ups with a large enough flexi. Bobby pins take care of any strays. I personally never use any sprays and I can't be bothered with elaborate style right now.

My goal is 1 year with only S+D, especially since I have a lot of wisps growing back from a severe iron deficiency that shed a ton of my hair (went from 4.5" to 3" :( ) For now the layers keep the wisps not looking too out of place, so I'll keep them until next may at least.

jeanniet
December 5th, 2014, 08:31 PM
I prefer layers on me, but I like layers in general because I think it gives more life and movement to the hair. All one length is just not as attractive to me unless it's very straight and smooth (essentially 1a hair). When my hair was at hip, it was all one length but I really didn't think it looked nearly as nice as it did with some layers in.

HintOfMint
December 5th, 2014, 11:11 PM
I'm exceedingly pro-layers, although I don't think they work on every hairtype and a lot of people here are rebelling against the idea that one hairstyle (layers) fits all. Also some people have had some bad luck with layers being cut too deep, resulting in wispy ends. Some find them more difficult to tuck into braids and updos (I personally haven't had that trouble).

DweamGoiL
December 6th, 2014, 12:02 AM
My hair is solidly at hip with long layers, but this is the longest I will grow it. In February, I will most likely cut back to WL. I like being able to wear my hair down, particularly at work. I feel the layers make my hair look more styled, but then again, my hair is wavy and although it is fine, it is thick. Without the layers, it would be too heavy to maintain now. I had one length TBL in the past and got headaches all the time. I also didn't like I had to keep it up all the time.

I do agree it certainly has to do with preference and hairtype. For me, the triangular thick cape behind me is not desirable. Since my hair is fine, it tends to just sit flat on top of my head when it's not layered. I love the movement and the lift at the roots that the layers give my hair. I am not a big braider and I can do updos just fine. Any wispies will simly be pinned into the bun as needed.

Zindell
December 6th, 2014, 01:54 AM
With layers my hair:

- Looks (and is) thinner
- Looks less shiny
- Makes braids messy
- Makes it harder to self trim

Obviously I have an even hemline. :queen:

spirals
December 6th, 2014, 02:08 AM
I can see how layers poking out of one's braids would be annoying. I'm not one of the annoyed, though; I think messy hair is charming. It's all personal taste.

Gabriel
December 6th, 2014, 07:15 AM
I'm just about finger tip length. I haven't updated any pictures in a while though, sorry. It's really hard to get good pictures of dark hair at this length! Anyway, I have layers purposefully cut into my hair when I get a trim. Not severe layers, but soft ones in the front. And a soft u-hemline in the back. Then my stylist blends them together. She's really good and doesn't make my ends thin.

Back when I was a young teen, (and hair at about tailbone until my early twenties) I didn't have layers on purpose, but I still had uneven bits here and there. I know, from past experience, I'd have layers anyway, due to the different growth rates of shed hairs and the occasional broken hairs so I get them put in on purpose to keep things tidy. Oh and one side of my hair grows faster than the other, so this keeps things even, as I like to wear a middle part a lot.

I don't have too much of a problem with braid shred and I don't have any problems with updos. I've had a lot of time to practice though, and I'm pretty used to working with my hair.

Nique1202
December 6th, 2014, 07:44 AM
Until I hit hip, I was OK with my layers, they made protective updos easier because they thinned out the length. Now that hair of my full thickness should be able to do more of those styles on its own, and now that my hair would make a gorgeous long braid down my back, I'd do a lot of awful things to have an even hemline now instead of two years from now. The front of my hair won't even stay in a single english braid, let alone the taper from 4" down to 1" at the bottom with messy layer shreds sticking out the whole way. I wish I'd got the urge to braid sooner so I'd have got rid of my layers as I was growing out instead of having 14 inches of growth yet to go!

tigereye
December 6th, 2014, 08:04 AM
I think for me, it's three-fold:
1)they make my buns look smaller and I like my head-eating buns
2)layers on my hair means the ends flick in lots of different directions instead of sitting nice
3)I've yet to find a hairdresser who suggested layers that didn't also want to cut half a foot off the ends. My hairdresser that I love would probably convince me to keep a straight hemline to show off the thickness better.

I had layers before and they just annoyed me, in part because it was shorter and there wasn't as much hair to hold buns in place. However, I think once I'm past classic, I might not mind a fairytale-ends look.

spidermom
December 6th, 2014, 08:15 AM
I prefer layers in my hair. The last time I had hip-length hair without layers, I thought it looked kind of odd: like a teeny little pinhead at the top and great big sweep of hair at the bottom. Triangle. With layers, overall my hair length pictures look more balanced. (My head isn't really small by the way; it just looked that way to me in hair-length pictures.)

lapushka
December 6th, 2014, 09:12 AM
Is there anyone on here that last classic length hair or beyond with layers?

I have TBL with lots of layers, though. I love it. Makes my hair manageable and "light".

Hootenanny
December 6th, 2014, 09:43 AM
I've had layers for years, but as I'm finally getting to longer lengths (curly waist, straight hip), I'm thinking about trimming them out, at least a little bit. Since virtually everyone has some taper at some point in their growth journey, I'm concerned that my layers will exacerbate the appearance of that taper, when it finally happens to me.

AmyBeth
December 6th, 2014, 10:16 AM
I like layers a lot, at least until waist or hip length. There's something very artistic and sculptural about layered and razored cuts that is really fascinating to me. They're just so pretty! But I also think that nothing is so pretty as an unbroken length of long, long hair. So once hair gets to a longer length, I personally would (and did) trim them out. I also love fairy tale ends too, though!

Monsoonu
December 6th, 2014, 10:47 AM
I used to have layers, but after my hair reached the small of my back.

My hair is too fine to have layers at that length so I grew/cut them out, but have kept the feathering at the front top section to give my hair some shape.

Johannah
December 6th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Nothing wrong with layers, but I just don't like it on myself.

Anabell
December 6th, 2014, 11:02 AM
I can't speak for others but this is the reasons why I grew out my layers:
1. They make your ends look thinner
2. They stick out from hairstyles. Especially form braids. It also make the braid look thinner.
3. It took lots of time to grow them out if you change your mind (same as bangs).

I thing it also a challenge to spread layers evenly if your hair is classic length or beyond. I mean, you have a finite thickness to begin with, so you can't cut layers through all the length without loosing too much thickness for the last layer if the hair is very long. Hope it's makes sense.

But I saw some people in LHC with amazing layers. It all about personal preference and hair type. You need to be really sure you want it before you do it if you have long hair because it took forever to grow them out.

pinchbeck
December 6th, 2014, 11:18 AM
I have noticed that a lot of people seem to be proud of the fact that they have a even hemline.

I agree. It's like having a rite of passage.

One of my customers has waist length thick brown hair - with layers. I asked her if I could touch it (don't worry, we have a good rapport) and she said yes. Her husband said, "You're flirting with my wife, eh?" and I said, "Of course!". Although that was kind of a weird statement because I like to touch anyone's hair whether male or female, it was fun. Her hair is heavy and layers for her help keep it lighter. If her hair was one length I doubt she'd be able to keep it long.

I look better with layers due to my facial shape but because my virgin hair splits easily I end up with more splits at the ends of my layers. Keeping my hair all one length helps control the amount of splits because it gets trimmed every couple of months. Even still, there a splits and more splits...!

Maybe having layers exposes them to more damage for folks with hair like mine? I dunno...

calmyogi
December 7th, 2014, 06:41 AM
I can see how layers poking out of one's braids would be annoying. I'm not one of the annoyed, though; I think messy hair is charming. It's all personal taste.

Ya I don't find it annoying either. And I also like messy hair. Maybe it's a curly thing.... You either have to love or fight your curls because you can't force them to do what they don't want without getting frustrated lol.

calmyogi
December 7th, 2014, 06:48 AM
I like layers a lot, at least until waist or hip length. There's something very artistic and sculptural about layered and razored cuts that is really fascinating to me. They're just so pretty! But I also think that nothing is so pretty as an unbroken length of long, long hair. So once hair gets to a longer length, I personally would (and did) trim them out. I also love fairy tale ends too, though!

What exactly are fairytale ends? I always thought they were just kinda un trimmed ends?

DarleneH
December 7th, 2014, 09:16 AM
I can get "triangle head" without some layers at the bottom. It doesn't have to be a lot, but having a bit of layering keeps it from looking weirdly bulky.

bexcalo
December 7th, 2014, 10:06 AM
Reading this thread actually just spurred me to cut some layers into the ends of my length! My hair has gotten so thick and i really have not liked the blunt ends that i got cut in a month ago. Feel much better now. My hair was not holding curl or anything due to the weight and having dark hair it just looked like it hung. I will get it cut properly after xmas maybe but for noway shortest layers are now collar bone length ish

calmyogi
December 7th, 2014, 06:59 PM
Reading this thread actually just spurred me to cut some layers into the ends of my length! My hair has gotten so thick and i really have not liked the blunt ends that i got cut in a month ago. Feel much better now. My hair was not holding curl or anything due to the weight and having dark hair it just looked like it hung. I will get it cut properly after xmas maybe but for noway shortest layers are now collar bone length ish

I'm glad that my annoying questioning has helped someone :)

door72067
December 7th, 2014, 07:21 PM
I just don't care for layers (on myself, to each his/her own, otherwise!!)

I've had one-length hair forever, it's just been many different lengths over the years (full disclosure: about 10 years ago I had a sort of chin-length bob cut that had a choppy hemline, but not actual layers and that was gone by the next trim...otherwise, it's pretty much been all one length for decades)

but I do prefer a u-hem, not blunt

queenovnight
December 7th, 2014, 09:55 PM
I personally dislike layers because they make simple hairstyles incredibly difficult. And really, I just don't like the look of layers. - Had em and hated em.

maborosi
December 7th, 2014, 11:17 PM
I liked them when I had them, but they make braiding and bunning frustrating for me. I already deal with really slippy hair and having layers sticking out everywhere just made it all worse

mira-chan
December 9th, 2014, 05:28 PM
Never had them as my hair has always been trimmed straight across. Its natural taper creates a sort of layering anyway so far.

yahirwaO.o
December 9th, 2014, 05:29 PM
Lets see.....In me layers are a big joke (Straight, fine, tendency to go limp and stringy fast)..... but If u have crazy thick heavy hair, or some wave-curl going on, or wear it down oftenly then yeah layer are going to be life saviour and pretty.

To be honest, the feeling of having perfectly straight blunt cut hair with thick ends..... yeah its almost orgasmic to me rather than having choppy jokes all over my head!!! LOL

tokugawa.miyako
December 9th, 2014, 05:47 PM
I have layers now and I'm trying to grow them out. They were fine when my hair was shorter, but nowadays, it just makes my braids look messy and I wear braids a lot. Plus I've just always admired blunt hemlines on long hair. I don't know why exactly, the look just always appealed to me.

JadedByEntropy
December 9th, 2014, 05:48 PM
My goal is 1 year with only S+D, especially since I have a lot of wisps growing back from a severe iron deficiency that shed a ton of my hair (went from 4.5" to 3" :( ) For now the layers keep the wisps not looking too out of place, so I'll keep them until next may at least.

oh i'm so sorry, thats a pretty massive shed.
I used to do layers too till i found how much i love the A-line hem on my face. trying to configure layers with it, but cannot figure it out. Also fearful that i'm layering my most eager hairs who would race past them all if i let them. o.o Not to cause anyone else trauma ;)

teddygirl
December 9th, 2014, 06:23 PM
I love layers! When I started growing out my hair I got a straight blunt cut and hated it. I felt very plain? My waves just did not do anything. Layers have nice movement and I like how they fall better. I don't have any issues with putting my hair up, but I've had layers for most of my life and am used to it.

hannabiss
December 9th, 2014, 06:33 PM
I also have layers and plan to keep them. Its strange someone else said they have thin hair and hate layers i have thin hair love them. I think my hair looks oily and lank without them. Id dare to say dreadful even! (On me) i do see the convenience of one length as other have said but i look better with layers.