PDA

View Full Version : The much-recommended SMT (Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11

MsBubbles
September 28th, 2011, 08:06 PM
warmed in microwave for 12 seconds, applied to freshly cleansed damp hair. Used a plastic bag with a towel wrapped over that. waited an hour then rinsed.
oh well, i suppose one thing can't work for everyone.

Do you mean literally a plastic bag? I use a shower cap, or two, to keep it all in under the towel. Maybe a lot of it seeped into the towel instead of staying on your hair?

cmg
October 4th, 2011, 06:46 PM
I did an overnight SMT yesterday and I didnt have to wash it out! :disbelief I used about 2½ tablespoons each of coconut oil, Aloe vera gel and honey. I only gave it a short ACV rinse because I had the day off and didnt bother about oily looking hair. But it was completely sucked in :rolleyes: Usually, I have to give it some CO-washing at least.

Hairitic
October 5th, 2011, 06:29 AM
WOW, cmg; How did you hair look after it dried? Was it silky and shiny :)? Soft? Tangle-free? Was you hair clean to start with or was it in need of a wash before the SMT? This just sounds like a great way to go. I'm in need of a Henna root treatment but I think I'll try this afterward. Let us know the details, please?!? :D

cmg
October 5th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Oh well, it was in need of washing and I do deep treatments now and then. Not so regularly but perhaps once a month since spring (changed my hair regime drastically early this year). This time however it seemed like it sucked in alot more than usual. Dont know why. It felt strawy while rinsing. It usually does, also after henna or cassia treatments, probably because I have baby fine hair, but I took this as a good sign. I did an experiment and simply omitted the usual washing out of oil residues. It was a bit shiny afterwards and tangle free. Very strange. :) I dont have shiny hair normally really (the avatar is not accurate). I thought, on day two it would look good. Normally it looks poofy on day two, so I took a chance here. And there I was, thinking I would have reached some sort of saturation here :rolleyes: Check again.

My hair has been very weird since I changed everything last winter/spring. It has changed from "the whole hair looking bad and being damaged" to "half the hair looking ok" and "the other half acting weird".

I need to do a henna on my roots soon again also.

cmg
October 5th, 2011, 04:06 PM
PS
I did a BS wash right before the SMT. My hair likes this and gets soft from this, which is what I currently like. Not using cones, usually I do CO wash.

Soulina
October 8th, 2011, 02:14 AM
I have done this treatment for my self couple times. Great results so my mom wanted me to do it for her too.

Her hair is short, she desided she wanted it long again. She has redicilous amounts of hair. Lots of thick hair.
Well her hair went nuts whit this treatment. It has so much volume its standig up. Hair is at ear lenght. Its not bad thing, not at all. But what happend?

Sorry about the confusing explanation.

MasCat
October 9th, 2011, 03:31 AM
Did my SMT for the second time yesterday. I used my favourite Timotei henna condhish, heated the honey in a waterbath (I do not own a microwave, as it hasn't been too long since I have my own place) and added aloe juice (almost impossible to get aloe gel in Poland)

And so: my hair is shining like mad and looks really nice, though my little splits are showing a bit more than usually.. time for an s&d!

cmg
October 9th, 2011, 04:28 AM
MasCat: When I am in Poland I go to railway stations and try those shops for tourists! Last time I bought the German brand Heilbronner there. 200 ml and it works well in the hair. Its a bottle with flat top and it says: "AloeVeraGel Hochwertige Hautpflege aus dem Blattsaft der AloeVeraPflanze". Slightly pricy to buy in Poland, but at least they had it.

GRU
October 9th, 2011, 07:40 AM
I have done this treatment for my self couple times. Great results so my mom wanted me to do it for her too.

Her hair is short, she desided she wanted it long again. She has redicilous amounts of hair. Lots of thick hair.
Well her hair went nuts whit this treatment. It has so much volume its standig up. Hair is at ear lenght. Its not bad thing, not at all. But what happend?

Sorry about the confusing explanation.

My guess is that her hair is a lot curlier than anyone realized, and getting that moisture infusion really boosted the curl, which created the "new" volume.

We see it a lot in the Wavy/Wurly and Wurly/Curly threads... people start taking steps to start moisturizing their hair and stop abusing it with harsh products and heat styling, and "all of a sudden" they have curly hair.

MasCat
October 9th, 2011, 08:42 AM
cmg, thanks I might check it out when I'm finished with my aloe juice bottle :)

Meanwhile: I posted a picture of my post-SMT hair in my hair album :)

Tawnylioness
October 10th, 2011, 04:42 AM
i just used Pantines new aqua light conditioner and it worked perfectly in case anyone wanted to know :)

isbmlamloi
October 11th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Meep. I just tried this--4 parts SKR, 1 part aloe, 1 part honey, and a teaspoon or so of coconut oil on just-clarified damp hair. As I was combing through it, my hair came out in alarming chunks. Every swipe of the comb from the last inch through the process to being able to comb through the entire length, I'd lose several hairs. This was the result in my sink (linked rather than posted here because it's rather alarming, imo): pic link (http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6113/6236191170_cb8cba99c5_z.jpg)

This has me really worried. What's the point of taking such good care of my hair if it's going to all fall out?

EAE
October 11th, 2011, 06:37 PM
OMG. I tried this and my hair is so so shiny and soft. I don't use conditioner any more. I will do it again in couple weeks.

GRU
October 12th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Meep. I just tried this--4 parts SKR, 1 part aloe, 1 part honey, and a teaspoon or so of coconut oil on just-clarified damp hair. As I was combing through it, my hair came out in alarming chunks. Every swipe of the comb from the last inch through the process to being able to comb through the entire length, I'd lose several hairs. This was the result in my sink (linked rather than posted here because it's rather alarming, imo): http://www.flickr.com/photos/isbmlamloi/6236191170/

This has me really worried. What's the point of taking such good care of my hair if it's going to all fall out?

This photo is private.

Oops! You don't have permission to view this photo.

Can't see the photo, but I really doubt that the shedding is because of the SMT. Honestly, unless you accidentally put some sort of depilatory cream in the mixture, there's nothing to make your follicles suddenly start shedding hair.

If you had more hair than normal shed, I'd attribute it to the combing action rather than the product. SMTs don't have as much slip as plain conditioner, IME.

isbmlamloi
October 12th, 2011, 11:17 AM
This photo is private.

Oops! You don't have permission to view this photo.

Can't see the photo, but I really doubt that the shedding is because of the SMT. Honestly, unless you accidentally put some sort of depilatory cream in the mixture, there's nothing to make your follicles suddenly start shedding hair.

If you had more hair than normal shed, I'd attribute it to the combing action rather than the product. SMTs don't have as much slip as plain conditioner, IME.

Oops. Try this link (http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6113/6236191170_cb8cba99c5_z.jpg) if you're still curious to see the image.

The SMT had way more slip than my normal conditioning method, actually. Maybe that says something about my normal methods? But I am not a "yanker"--I comb my hair out slowly, starting at the bottom, and if I hit a tangle I get it out with my fingers, not with the comb. I hit very, very few tangles while combing the SMT through my hair. Instead there were just hairs in my comb. :P

C.H.
October 12th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Oops. Try this link (http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6113/6236191170_cb8cba99c5_z.jpg) if you're still curious to see the image.

The SMT had way more slip than my normal conditioning method, actually. Maybe that says something about my normal methods? But I am not a "yanker"--I comb my hair out slowly, starting at the bottom, and if I hit a tangle I get it out with my fingers, not with the comb. I hit very, very few tangles while combing the SMT through my hair. Instead there were just hairs in my comb. :P

Does that photo show the total amount of shed, or the amount that was coming out with each stroke? If that's the total shed, that really does not look like an alarming or unusual amount to me. Just my opinion.

GRU
October 12th, 2011, 11:42 AM

I was expecting way worse than that..... that looks like about 20-25% of what I lose on any given day!

cmg
October 12th, 2011, 08:03 PM
I was expecting way worse than that..... that looks like about 20-25% of what I lose on any given day!
Me too! And I dont even have your hair length yet! This amount is nothing to worry about. Seriously.

kidari
October 12th, 2011, 08:11 PM
I agree that is not a huge shed. I shed about that much, sometimes more, sometimes less. The hair loss you see after a washing always looks like more the longer your hair is. If your hair was 2 inches long all over it would look like easily 1/4 of the amount or less when in reality it's the same as the amount in your picture.

C.H.
October 13th, 2011, 02:03 AM
I agree that is not a huge shed. I shed about that much, sometimes more, sometimes less. The hair loss you see after a washing always looks like more the longer your hair is. If your hair was 2 inches long all over it would look like easily 1/4 of the amount or less when in reality it's the same as the amount in your picture.

Yeah. That doesn't look to me to be more than, like, 30 hairs? And it's normal to shed up to 100 hairs per day.

isbmlamloi
October 13th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Huh. Well then, consider me taking back my concern--I only know my experiences, and that's a lot of hair for me! I'll try consider myself lucky that I normally don't shed much rather than worry about an amount that isn't abnormal for others. Thank you for sharing your experiences, everyone!

Cassie 123
October 13th, 2011, 11:21 AM
What a difference little details can make. My hair was so happy with weekly SMT's all summer long, but when cool, wet weather hit - and coincided with me leaving the treatment on for an hour instead of my usual 20 minutes - my hair turned into cotton candy. shudder: I switched to just condish diluted with a little aloe juice and my hair is much happier. From now on I'll save the honey for use during the appropriate meteorological conditions. :sun:

Browniegirl
October 13th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I have done this with only conditioner( basically just letting it sit longer, then rinsing, which does not really count). I would really like to do this,except for one thing.I am very severly alergic to Aloe Vera.It would harm me, not help at all.Is there anything else that has the same effect for people with alergies?Suggestions anyone?

cmg
October 13th, 2011, 07:00 PM
If you have a true Aloe vera allergy, then you should pretty much stay away from all sorts of plant stuffs. :(

GlassWidow
October 13th, 2011, 07:17 PM
I mixed up an SMT tonight and stuck it under the globe lights in my bathroom while the kids showered. It was lovely and warm when I took it down. No need for a microwave here! :D

Lady Neeva
October 13th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Ah! Clever idea! (I'll try that next time!)

Browniegirl
October 14th, 2011, 03:36 PM
cmg, I do well with other plantish things,like shea butter,coconut oil,rosemary,nettle,etc,but yes, I do have to be carefull. Do you think a SMT would work just as well with just honey and conditioner?

cmg
October 14th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Browniegirl, Try it! Cross reactions are always possible, like for example if you have problems with terpenes from pine trees. The honey might give you a reaction. You could try a small portion of the mixture in your ellbow-pit for say, ten minutes, and then wash it off. If there is no reaction within an hour, you're probably safe. You could try mixing in things like mushed avocado or an egg (preferably the yellow, but apply no extra heat then). Honey acts like a protein, so it can sometimes give the hair abit of a strawy feel. This goes away with the next wash. I've always liked honey or agave sirup in my hair. Makes it really smooth and shiny. You might try cassia, but this may cause a reaction if you can't tolerate senna-plants or mustard.

GlassWidow
October 14th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Regarding the shedding, I noticed I shed a lot more than usual while I was rinsing out the SMT last night, but I shed a lot less than usual today. Interesting...and I only noticed it because of this thread.

Rowan1980
October 15th, 2011, 09:26 PM
I mixed some up earlier this week with Avalon Organics Nourishing Lavender conditioner. My hair LOVED it. I'll probably try it with some of my V05 Kiwi Lime this week and see how that turns out. :)

HintOfMint
October 18th, 2011, 12:35 AM
Just did another wildly modified SMT (read: an SMT that bears virtually no semblance to its original).
Honestly, it was deeply random.

A fingerful of Nightblooming's Panacea (Winter blend), a dollop of castor oil, raw wildflower honey, a squeeze of Giovanni Leave In conditioner, a quarter packet of Emergen C (don't ask, I wanted to add some acidity to the blend, it made sense at the time, also the sugar in it is another humectant), and topped off with Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition conditioner.

I was feeling adventurous. Hair is drying at the moment.

I will probably regret this in the morning. :o

cmg
October 19th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Not at all, I think it will be very shiny tomorrow! Sounded like an interesting concoction. :)

Revontuletar
October 20th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I just tried SMT for the first time the other day and it works great! I wasn't quite sure whether my conditioner would be suitable but it turned out it worked! YAY! You can add Australian Organics Moisture Recovery conditioner to the list of suitable conditioners :)

LocustSpawning
October 22nd, 2011, 10:41 AM
Ok...

I'm sat here now with this on my head, with a plastic bag over that, and a towel over that.

It felt very luxurious to put on, super soft :D

I used: Dr Organics extra virgin olive oil conditioner that you can buy in Holland and Barrat, Holland & barrat organic aloe vera gel and regular honey from Asda. I also added a splash of olive oil. I'm going to leave this on for an hour, using my hairdryer on it sometimes to heat it up a bit :)

Will report back soon!

LocustSpawning
October 22nd, 2011, 02:14 PM
Ok, my hair is totally dry now..

I LOOVE IT! Will be doing this weekly ^__^

GRU
October 22nd, 2011, 04:37 PM
I have my post-henna SMT/DT soaking on my head right now... gonna have some CURLS tomorrow! :shocked:

gazelle
October 22nd, 2011, 11:21 PM
I tried this once with Dove conditioner. It was very bad because the concoction didn't dissolved though mixing very well and warming. I used it anyway, and little balls of conditioner sticked on my hair and didn't clear away after rinsing. So I didn't dare using SMT again. I think I did something wrong

But I may try with another conditioner this week

GlassWidow
October 24th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Hi Gazelle,

Don't give up on the SMT just yet. If you check the first post in this thread, it does say that protein can be problematic, and silicones could be problematic as well.

Conditioners work best when they have minimal protein. Many people also avoid conditioners with silicone compounds for this. (I haven't experimented with protein ones, so that's word-of-mouth. I think protein-containing conditioners are likely to give lumpy, blobby results.)

I'm not sure which version of Dove conditioner you used, but upon googling, I can see that many (if not all) contain a fairly large amount of silicones, as well as things like silk amino acids, which are proteins.

Also at the beginning of this thread is a long list of conditioners that work well. I'm not sure what would be available to you in Turkey. There are other threads here that list protein-free products and silicone free products as well. It sounds like you're thinking about giving SMT another shot...I say go for it, with something protein free/silicone free. Good luck!

Rowan1980
October 24th, 2011, 01:10 PM
I've just found out that VO5 Strengthening Conditioner with Pomegranate and Grapeseed works very, very well with this recipe. :) 'Cone- and protein-free. (The U.S. version is anyway.)

MsBubbles
October 28th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Just a footnote: I did an SMT last night, same old formula I have always used with excellent results (Giovanni 50-50 cond., honey & pure aloe). Difference this time is I accidentally heated the mix up for 30 secs in the microwave instead of 20. When I combed it all out a few hours later I had the 'white dots' in my hair that some people here have mentioned in this thread.

So if you're getting a problem with the white dots, try heating the mix less.

Cowgirl16
October 28th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Just a footnote: I did an SMT last night, same old formula I have always used with excellent results (Giovanni 50-50 cond., honey & pure aloe). Difference this time is I accidentally heated the mix up for 30 secs in the microwave instead of 20. When I combed it all out a few hours later I had the 'white dots' in my hair that some people here have mentioned in this thread.

So if you're getting a problem with the white dots, try heating the mix less.

That makes sense that it would curdle from being overcooked. I had tried Suave coconut which is on the good list and it curdled. I usually heat mine for 30 seconds:shrug: I will definitely have to try it again. Thanks :)

giuditta
October 29th, 2011, 07:28 AM
I have my post-henna SMT/DT soaking on my head right now... gonna have some CURLS tomorrow! :shocked:

How many days after henna can you do an SMT? And won't the honey lighten it? I never did one, I don't want it to affect my henna colouring...

Also is it ok to SMT on fine hair or will it make it heavy and limp?

I wanted to use Fructis triple with aloe and honey...

GRU
October 29th, 2011, 07:40 AM
How many days after henna can you do an SMT? And won't the honey lighten it? I never did one, I don't want it to affect my henna colouring...

I do my SMT *immediately* after my henna. As in enter bathroom, rinse out henna, squeeze out excess moisture, apply SMT, wrap up head, exit bathroom.

The honey will only lighten if the chemical properties are there for peroxide to form, and with all the other stuff that's in the SMT, that is unlikely. Plus, honey lightening is a very slow process, requiring multiple applications over long periods of time, etc.

As for fine hair and SMTs, I'll let someone else answer that -- my hair is the exact OPPOSITE of fine!

giuditta
October 29th, 2011, 07:47 AM
I do my SMT *immediately* after my henna. As in enter bathroom, rinse out henna, squeeze out excess moisture, apply SMT, wrap up head, exit bathroom.

The honey will only lighten if the chemical properties are there for peroxide to form, and with all the other stuff that's in the SMT, that is unlikely. Plus, honey lightening is a very slow process, requiring multiple applications over long periods of time, etc.

As for fine hair and SMTs, I'll let someone else answer that -- my hair is the exact OPPOSITE of fine!

O wow that is nice to be able to do it right away as my hair gets shiney but also a bit dry from henna.

Haha yes your hair is the OPPOSITE of fine and it is EXACTLY the hair I will dream of the rest of my life :justy:

GRU
October 29th, 2011, 08:26 AM
O wow that is nice to be able to do it right away as my hair gets shiney but also a bit dry from henna.

I've noticed that the SMT helps remove the residue that gives hair that "dry" feeling after henna -- that's why I initially started doing it, and it works like a charm!

Haha yes your hair is the OPPOSITE of fine and it is EXACTLY the hair I will dream of the rest of my life :justy:

We always want what we don't have, I guess... I always wanted "Marcia Brady" hair! :lol:

giuditta
October 29th, 2011, 11:00 AM
We always want what we don't have, I guess... I always wanted "Marcia Brady" hair! :lol:

Haha that is my hair maybe we can swap for a few months!:D

Mairéad
October 29th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Heads up that Garnier Triple Nutrition gave me little white specks in my hair. But, if you can get past that (I did) it worked well as a SMT. Still doesn't beat Tresseme Naturals Aloe and Avocado for me. :D

Anyone else get while specks from Triple Nutrition in SMT? I just bought it today and so far I like it as a normal conditioner though. Decided to try it after the general raves here. Certainly don't seem unfounded.

Sundial
October 30th, 2011, 03:06 AM
Heads up that Garnier Triple Nutrition gave me little white specks in my hair. But, if you can get past that (I did) it worked well as a SMT. Still doesn't beat Tresseme Naturals Aloe and Avocado for me. :D

Anyone else get while specks from Triple Nutrition in SMT? I just bought it today and so far I like it as a normal conditioner though. Decided to try it after the general raves here. Certainly don't seem unfounded.

Me! I can't use GFTN in a SMT for that reason

Lissandria
October 30th, 2011, 04:13 AM

Did my very first SMT yesty with a friend we had a "hair day" LOL.
Used Tresseme Naturals Aloe and Avocado- It wasn't on either of the lists but I figured it was moisturising and cone free. Needless to say it went very well :disco:

Also to add: Plunkett's Aloe Vera gel- an Australian brand for the other Aussies out there (yellowish clear, alcohol free, organic) works great for an SMT. :):)

cmg
October 30th, 2011, 06:33 AM
I've noticed that the SMT helps remove the residue that gives hair that "dry" feeling after henna -- that's why I initially started doing it, and it works like a charm!
Same here with fine hair. The same feeling occurs after washing the hair with soya meal also. I guess its the "protein effect" that is very noticeable on fine hair. SMT or a leave in mixed with coconut takes care of that.

GRU
October 30th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Haha that is my hair maybe we can swap for a few months!:D

I've often said that if we could swap hair types as easily as we swap hair toys, the Swap Board here would be in constant overload/crash mode! :lol:

Plume
October 31st, 2011, 12:07 PM
I just had my first SMT experience yesterday after a shikakai+milk shampoo, and the result is very good: good volume and shiny.
I used Lavera sensitiv basis as conditionner: I'm not a big fan of the fragrance but the result is ok for me , i'll absolutely will do SMT again, sure!!

RedheadMistress
November 2nd, 2011, 09:39 PM
- I did my first SMT a couple of months ago and Wow, made a huge difference. My hair felt like silk !
One of my friends gave me honey so I'm going to do this as soon as I get my hands on some Aloe Vera gel . . depending .

Read that some people do it without, but idk, I liked it with and haven't tried without so I will do what I did before.
Hopefully I will start doing it at least weekly .

Soft nice smelling hair . . <3

MsBubbles
November 3rd, 2011, 10:44 AM

I do an SMT about once a week. I have fine, straight hair and a grease-prone scalp. I wash my scalp (scalp only) once a day weekdays because of having to look presentable at work. An all-over SMT does make my scalp hair get greasier faster but I still get a good 18 hours of non-greasy scalp with it, for as soft and silky as it makes my ends!

Sometimes I do ends-only SMT. That works out fine, too.

My hair is so fine though that I welcome anything that'll make the ends 'heavy'! :)

giuditta
November 3rd, 2011, 01:04 PM
I do an SMT about once a week. I have fine, straight hair and a grease-prone scalp. I wash my scalp (scalp only) once a day weekdays because of having to look presentable at work. An all-over SMT does make my scalp hair get greasier faster but I still get a good 18 hours of non-greasy scalp with it, for as soft and silky as it makes my ends!

Sometimes I do ends-only SMT. That works out fine, too.

My hair is so fine though that I welcome anything that'll make the ends 'heavy'! :)

Thanks for explaining, I'm going to give it a try!

cmg
November 3rd, 2011, 04:25 PM

It all depends on how much your hair needs it. I did it several times weekly, and then less often. And after a while my hair begun to feel so much better from it that I realized it was time to do it less often and change other things too. If I had continued doing SMTs weekly, then it might have made my hair limp and the roots oily. My ends would have loved it though.

I think the Fructis was actually the first condish I used for my SMTs. It was just totally sucked in for the first couple of treatments. So you have to find out how much your hair can take at any given time. Your hairs needs wouldn't always be the same.

RedheadMistress
November 3rd, 2011, 08:36 PM
- Just did one today but with half conditioner, half honey, in the microwave, since i didnt find aloe vera gel .

It's nice and soft but not as ridiculously as other times Ive done it. But idk, think the conditioner made a difference too . .

The mix was clumpy and it made the water turn dark brown (i have black dyed hair atm) so I think it was removing some of the colour even though i microwaved the mix for 25 seconds !

darklyndsea
November 6th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Is it just my imagination or does my hair dry faster after rinsing out an SMT than after a normal shower?

Sundial
November 7th, 2011, 12:23 AM
- Just did one today but with half conditioner, half honey, in the microwave, since i didnt find aloe vera gel .

It's nice and soft but not as ridiculously as other times Ive done it. But idk, think the conditioner made a difference too . .

The mix was clumpy and it made the water turn dark brown (i have black dyed hair atm) so I think it was removing some of the colour even though i microwaved the mix for 25 seconds !

I usually zap mine for 2 batches of 30 seconds until it starts to bubble because I had problems with honey lightening my hair

lastnite
November 7th, 2011, 12:40 AM
has anyone combined a SMT with a henna gloss? If I let a henna gloss sit for 3+ hours I'm thinking of getting the most out of it and do double duty...just need to add honey and aloe.

sorry if it's been asked before!

Hairitic
November 8th, 2011, 04:38 AM
I think you've got a great idea there! I have been doing my henna glosses mixed with Avocado and Coconut Milk and it does fine. I don't see why it wouldn't work great with Honey and Aloe Vera. I'd say "Go For It"! I have one more batch of the Avocado mix in the freezer. When it's gone, I'm gonna try a "Henna SMT Gloss" :D

LocustSpawning
November 10th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Oh noooo, I'm such a fool.

I did 2 parts conditioner with 1 part aloe and 1 part honey, instead of 4 parts conditioner. I thought the mixture looked a little different... hopefully this will turn out ok!

cmg
November 10th, 2011, 06:19 PM
It will be great, I'm sure! :poot: :D

LocustSpawning
November 11th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Hmm, it turned out ok, hair wasn't as soft as the last time I did it mind. But, this time I did it after I clarified so it would be dryer anyways

cmg
November 11th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Sometimes when the mixture alows for greater "protein effect" some hairs can feel a little strawy afterwards. This can happen for people who use hone. Usually this will go away after the next wash. It shows that something has been taken up by the hair, not a bad thing. Happens to me sometimes. Cassia does this to me nearly every time, and some deep treatments also.

cmg
November 11th, 2011, 02:54 PM
I meant honey. Can't spell these days :rolleyes:

Arrow
November 13th, 2011, 02:05 PM
This is a *very* long thread and I haven't read it all through (sorry)... but I wondered if anyone could give me the ingredients in a UK-friendly format such as ml and so on. The recipe on the first page says "parts" but I don't know how large a quantity a "part" is :0(

Arrow
>----->

Blond On Blond
November 13th, 2011, 03:13 PM
A part can be anything, it's simply a way to determine proportions. For example: 1 cup of conditioner to 1 cup of honey = 1 part of conditioner to 1 part of honey.

Lostsoule77
November 13th, 2011, 04:01 PM
I have my first SMT on my head right now. :) I used 4 Tbsps GFTN, 1 Tbsp Fruit of the Earth clear Aloe Vera Gel, & 1 Tbsp honey. I microwaved it for 20 seconds, stirring after 10. I put it on damp hair. I didn't wash first. I only have a leave in of GFTN from my wash last weekend so I'm hoping that won't matter. :) I'll wash it out in an hour or so and update you all. Probably tomorrow because I don't anticipate my hair drying tonight. :D

cmg
November 13th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Not that it has to be precise all the time when it comes to hair treatments, but a tablespoon can be approximated with 15 ml and a teaspoon with 5 ml.

Ashenputtel
November 13th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Yesterday I did a modified version of the SMT and it was the best result I had so far. I did a strong tea with senna (cassia) leaves and I mixed it with an SMT made with a thick natural hair treatment and just a little bit of evo. I shook it till whipped consistency and let it rest a little bit in the fridge. I left it on clarifyed damp hair for an hour with heat.

My hair looks so great. I got great shine and strenght. I'm sold. I'm never gonna bother with a cassia treatment again.

cmg
November 13th, 2011, 05:06 PM
That was interesting! I have never heard of senna/cassia being used like this! How did you wash it out?

Ashenputtel
November 13th, 2011, 08:22 PM
That was interesting! I have never heard of senna/cassia being used like this! How did you wash it out? I actually bought senna leaves wich is sold as a laxative. I just made a tea out of it. That why I needed a very rich treatment. Somebody was doing a tea out of senna leaves in the cassia thread I just took the idea and added a tiny bit of oil to it

Totte
November 14th, 2011, 06:38 AM
I finally tried this with a different approach! I've always been using Aloe Vera Juice instead of Gel since the latter hasn't been available to me and I've been getting good results but nothing to get excited about. But then I tried the Aloe Vera gel we sell at work used for sun burn (8D 97&#37; Aloe though!) and whilst it was a mess to get out of the hair, it felt wonderful afterwards! :)

cmg
November 14th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Maybe it also depends on the gel used. Some brands use a dried powder, extracted from the juice/gel rather than the juice/gel itself.

I just bought a new brand Aloe Vera gel today. Not very convincing, it had both alcohol and preservatives in it. The necessary essentials I guess. :mad: I will try it out next week as a gel, and then perhaps in the SMT next time I do one.

C.H.
November 14th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Hey, guys. How do you keep your SMT from being a drippy mess? I saturate my hair, pile it atop my head, and cover it with a showercap, but it ends up leaking at my hairline and into my face. Ick! I tried wrapping a scarf around my hairline to absorb some of the drips, and this helps but doesn't fully solve the problem. So, I end up rinsing the treatment out sooner than I otherwise would just because I'm tired of being all drippy and runny. Yet I hear some people even SMT overnight? How do people do people keep it contained enough to do this?

cmg
November 14th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Good question! I dont know the answer to that one either. My hair sucks up the good stuff in no time and leaves the head in a watery drippy mess for the rest of the application time :mad:

Clingfilm is ... eek.

GRU
November 14th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Terry cloth sweatbands are great for all types of treatments (DT, SMT, henna, etc.).

You can also buy Honey Powder so that the mix doesn't have quite so much liquid in it.....

kidari
November 15th, 2011, 12:54 AM
I also agree with the terry cloth hair band- they sell them at most beauty supply stores and it has a velcro closure. Personally I shampoo and then wrap my hair around a microfiber turban while I mix up and heat up the SMT then I apply it to my damp hair. This really helps with the dripping as well as allow more of the product to get absorbed since it's not so diluted from all the water now. I like using plastic grocery bags then microwave my same microfiber hair turban since it's wet now and wrap that over my plastic bag. The wrapping really helps keep my conditioned hair close to my scalp and catches any drips should there be any.

Sundial
November 15th, 2011, 03:10 AM
Hey, guys. How do you keep your SMT from being a drippy mess? I saturate my hair, pile it atop my head, and cover it with a showercap, but it ends up leaking at my hairline and into my face. Ick! I tried wrapping a scarf around my hairline to absorb some of the drips, and this helps but doesn't fully solve the problem. So, I end up rinsing the treatment out sooner than I otherwise would just because I'm tired of being all drippy and runny. Yet I hear some people even SMT overnight? How do people do people keep it contained enough to do this?

I just put SMT on dry hair. My SMT mix is also thick - although I heat up the honey to prevent hair lightening (the heat makes the honey runny), I stick it back into the fridge for a few minutes to harden before I use it

cmg
November 15th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Honey powder??? What comes next?
http://chibinihon.blogg.se/images/2010/japan_is_awesome_19_103045709.jpg

Lissandria
November 18th, 2011, 05:33 PM
^^ LOL. I love it. I never knew there was such a thing as honey powder?!

I am doing an SMT right now, it's becoming a weekly ritual for me. I just love what it does for the dry ends of my hair.
I always zap the mixture for 25 secs which makes it really, really runny. Stirring and adding another glob of conditioner makes the consistency creamy again. Also I have noticed I have to mix the conditioner and honey before adding the Aloe- otherwise it gets clear lumps in it.

Lostsoule77
November 20th, 2011, 10:41 AM
So when I did my SMT I used GFTN and got the same white dots that other people reported. Perhaps this should be edited into the do not use list. :) I wish I would've read that many pages back before I did it. They were a pain to wash out.

It did make my hair soft and silky, but not as amazing as everyone makes it seem. I'm thinking I should clarify first and then try it with the V05 Champagne kiss I picked up yesterday. I have a ton of cleaning to do today so I'll be home all day to try it. :)

MandyBeth
November 20th, 2011, 06:12 PM
I start with 90% dry hair, then plastic bag - we have tons always, so good use for me - then a knit hat. Same as I did with henna, and I get a few drips, but not bad. I do sleep in it. Anything with egg is goody, drippy and gross to me.

islandboo
November 20th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I apply to towel dried hair and use pretty thick conditioners (Biolage and AO honeysuckle rose) so my mixture isn't very drippy to start with. I also don't nuke it. I pile it on my head, cover with a shower cap and then a towel turban (which I just lay flat rather than twisting and securing with the button). I put a knit toque over the whole shebang and it doesnt drip too badly. I keep a dry washcloth on hand to wipe any drippies I might get but it doesn't get used much.

GRU
November 20th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I just saw the Turbie Twist Head Band (http://www.drugstore.com/turbie-twist-head-band/qxp373911) at Bed Bath & Beyond yesterday... thought it might be a perfect solution for drippies!

UltraBella
November 20th, 2011, 09:08 PM
I am doing my first ever SMT, it is gooped all over my head right now. Wish me luck !!!!
Why have I waited so long to try this ???

GRU
November 20th, 2011, 09:38 PM
I am doing my first ever SMT, it is gooped all over my head right now. Wish me luck !!!!
Why have I waited so long to try this ???

Probably b/c your hair is so freaking awesome that it doesn't need all the help that we mere mortals need.... ;)

UltraBella
November 20th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Probably b/c your hair is so freaking awesome that it doesn't need all the help that we mere mortals need.... ;)

Lol, then why are you the one wearing the cape ?? Huh??!

So, I just rinsed it out and my hair is drying.

I used Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition as the conditioner, plus aloe vera and honey.
1 cup conditioner, 1/4 cup aloe and 1/4 cup honey. I made a lot, because I had no idea how much I would need. I mixed it all together, heated for 20 seconds, stirred and heated for another 20 seconds. I had washed my hair before hand and it was still wet, I applied the SMT to my hair generously and piled it all on top of my head, wrapped with Saran Wrap and a towel. I left it on for an hour and then rinsed it all out. No white chunks, bits or tiny balls that have been reported by others.

Looking forward to seeing it dry !!

KatCooke
November 20th, 2011, 11:07 PM
So, a few questions- I finally ordered the fairy sachet sampler from Nightblooming, and I'm wondering how an smt would go using the panacea salve? I also want to possibly do an overnight smt/henna gloss like this:
2 parts henna mixture (defrosted)
2 parts panacea
1 part honey
1 part triple moon oil

and then follow up with an acv/nightblooming tea rinse.

Anyone see any issues with this? Should I change my proportions?
I want a bit more color and a lot of shine, my hair also HATES aloe with a fiery passion (or at least the aloe currently in my possession.) anything you'd add?

I wont be receiving my package for a few days, so I have some time to play with my recipe.

UltraBella
November 21st, 2011, 01:50 PM
I damp bunned my hair last night so this morning I took my bun out and let it finish drying. My hair is shinier that usual with no static and it is very soft. I would call this a success :)

Martukita
November 21st, 2011, 04:59 PM
I just tried a modified recipe (as I don't have any aloe at the moment). I used two conditioners (The Body Shop Rainforest Moisture and Lush American Cream), some honey, extra virgin olive oil and argan oil. Heated it in the microwave, applied to dry hair and bunned it up to sleep. Let's see if tomorrow I have a gorgeous hair! :cheese: Do you recommend me conditioning it after shampoo also tomorrow? Thanks!!

owlathena
November 21st, 2011, 05:02 PM
I'm going to watch a movie and do an SMT as soon as get home!

Cowgirl16
November 21st, 2011, 06:07 PM
I just tried a modified recipe (as I don't have any aloe at the moment). I used two conditioners (The Body Shop Rainforest Moisture and Lush American Cream), some honey, extra virgin olive oil and argan oil. Heated it in the microwave, applied to dry hair and bunned it up to sleep. Let's see if tomorrow I have a gorgeous hair! :cheese: Do you recommend me conditioning it after shampoo also tomorrow? Thanks!!

I've never washed my hair after a SMT. :shrug:

Martukita
November 21st, 2011, 06:31 PM
I've never washed my hair after a SMT. :shrug:

No washing? And how can you get rid of the honey? Just WO?

GRU
November 21st, 2011, 07:12 PM
Honey is water soluble, so it will just rinse out.

With all the oil you have in yours, though, you may want to CO-wash it if there's still oil in your hair after rinsing.

But you shouldn't need shampoo, regardless.

MandyBeth
November 21st, 2011, 07:38 PM
With my fine hair, I have to use dilute shampoo on my scalp, or I am a grease ball. But I just wash my scalp and rinse the shampoo while I rinse the SMT from my ends.

Hairitic
November 21st, 2011, 08:07 PM
So, a few questions- I finally ordered the fairy sachet sampler from Nightblooming, and I'm wondering how an smt would go using the panacea salve? I also want to possibly do an overnight smt/henna gloss like this:
2 parts henna mixture (defrosted)
2 parts panacea
1 part honey
1 part triple moon oil

and then follow up with an acv/nightblooming tea rinse.

Anyone see any issues with this? Should I change my proportions?
I want a bit more color and a lot of shine, my hair also HATES aloe with a fiery passion (or at least the aloe currently in my possession.) anything you'd add?

I wont be receiving my package for a few days, so I have some time to play with my recipe.

I'm not sure but I'd be concerned that all the oil content in the Panacea and The Triple Moon Oil might interfere with the absorption of the Henna :confused:???

Cowgirl16
November 21st, 2011, 09:45 PM

With all the oil you have in yours, though, you may want to CO-wash it if there's still oil in your hair after rinsing.

This exactly. I don't put oil in my mix though. :)

gracenotes
November 21st, 2011, 10:24 PM

I sometimes put oil in mine, and as long as I really massage the mixture into my scalp, CO style, I've never had a problem with the oil just rinsing out along with the other ingredients. That being said, I never put very much oil in; maybe the just-rinsing-out method wouldn't work with a mixture that has more oil. I second GRU's suggestion about COing--rather than shampooing--out any oil that ends up not just rinsing out.

arantxarivas
November 21st, 2011, 10:58 PM
Im so maaad! Because in my country i don't find
that clear aloe vera gel, here i just have seen the blue and green ones!
And i reallyyyy want to do that! :(

Martukita
November 22nd, 2011, 04:37 AM
thanks ladies, but I think I'm going to shampoo (SLS free) as I haven't tried CO yet and don't think it's the best day to begin:o

Ashenputtel
November 22nd, 2011, 09:51 AM
Im so maaad! Because in my country i don't find
that clear aloe vera gel, here i just have seen the blue and green ones!
And i reallyyyy want to do that! :( Can you find glycerin?

Neya
November 22nd, 2011, 12:05 PM
Glycerin is a good alternative. I saw it in a plastic plain bottle in the first aid isle @ pharmacy. I had to really really look for it. Costed about the same as aloe gel.

Martukita
November 22nd, 2011, 06:03 PM
My hair is gorgeous today after my SMT of yesterday :cheese: I finally washed it with shampoo and condishioned after again.

MagicAndMayhem
November 25th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Omg I found a bottle of Revlon Flew in the cabinet!!!! I was searching everywhere in the house today for cone-free stuff and found the Flex!! Since it's not on the list, I will report back house it works. Man, my hair was a tangly mess trying to work it in, though.

Keller1128
November 26th, 2011, 09:48 AM
I did an SMT last night with Aloe Vera gel from a plant and it worked great. It wasn't rubbery like the caution said it might be. I wanted to try it because it doesn't have alcohol in it (obviously) like most store brands. I might be buying an aloe plant soon (I used my aunt's this time).

BeatlesFanGirl
November 28th, 2011, 05:08 AM
I tried SMT - AWESOME! :D Strange thing is that, it mixed well with Faith in Nature Ginko biloba conditioner, but didn't mix that well with Faith in Nature seaweed one. I have a question, does honey lighten hair if you put it in conditioner?

LocustSpawning
November 28th, 2011, 06:13 AM
BeatlesFanGirl, it will only lighten if you don't heat up the mixture. The heat kills the peroxide in the honey :) I heat up mine for about 20 seconds in a microwave.

I did an SMT before with Dr Organics conditioner, Asda honey, and holland & barrat aloe gel. It turned out really well. I also added olive oil.

I have one on my head now made up of Asda's own brand 'caring almond' conditioner, holland & barrat aloe gel, olive oil and honey from the Spar... the mix was runnier than usual, and it was really lumpy! I put it on anyway, let's see how this turns out..

LocustSpawning
November 28th, 2011, 06:44 AM
AAAAAGH... if your mixture is lumpy... don't put it in your hair! It didn't even feel soft rinsing out at all, and there's stupid little white bits stuck in my hair everywhere! :( I will go back to doing the SMT I used to do for this...

Lissandria
November 28th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Does anyone else find this addictive? I just love SMT so much I'm doing them twice a week. Normal conditioner just doesnt compare anymore. I can sleep in these aswell which makes it easy to do while sleeping/napping :sleep:

LocustSpawning
November 29th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Yerp, I LOOOVE SMT's so much. I have (another) one on my head now after yesterdays mixed failed.

Lissandria
November 30th, 2011, 04:46 PM
^^ glad im not the only one. I look forward to my days off so I can do an SMT. I do have a life, I swear! ;)

gracenotes
November 30th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Ooooh my goodness! I will never stray away from SMTs again! I did them all the time this summer but have been very busy this semester and haven't really been spending as much time on haircare. My hair was looking a little lackluster, so I did a nice SMT with some added glycerin and coconut oil, and now my hair feels so gloriously soft. I've really got to go back to doing them weekly!

lolot
December 3rd, 2011, 01:51 PM
is my first but do you put it on the scalp o just the lenght ? im scared

anikadear
December 10th, 2011, 12:18 PM
So I tried this earlier today (well, about 2 hrs ago), washed out my hair and it is disgustingly dry and feels sticky. I rinsed forever because I knew a thorough rinsing was key and still, gross. I have no idea what I did wrong but it's got me a little unwilling to try again (although I will). I already have a problem with super dry, coarse hair so I was really hoping this would help :(

Mairéad
December 10th, 2011, 12:25 PM
So I tried this earlier today (well, about 2 hrs ago), washed out my hair and it is disgustingly dry and feels sticky. I rinsed forever because I knew a thorough rinsing was key and still, gross. I have no idea what I did wrong but it's got me a little unwilling to try again (although I will). I already have a problem with super dry, coarse hair so I was really hoping this would help :(

Two questions.
What kind of conditioner did you use?
And...
What kind of climate do you have?

-Cones and proteins can cause the feeling the treatment made but so could the honey and aloe if you're climate is particularly dry. You could try eliminating and substituting ingredients. You could also try clarifying shampoo before using the treatment.

cmg
December 10th, 2011, 02:26 PM
I thought the same thing. Perhaps the cause is to be found in previously used shampoos and condishes, leaving residue and resins in the hair? Clarifying might help. And dont forget treating it properly afterwards as well, essentially for 3:s :)

zombi
December 11th, 2011, 01:32 AM
if you DON'T have a microwave... has anyone made this without? will it work the same somehow??

doctorvkp1
December 11th, 2011, 02:07 AM
thanks it was easy n relievn.....

Hairitic
December 11th, 2011, 07:47 AM
if you DON'T have a microwave... has anyone made this without? will it work the same somehow??

You can heat the honey in a double boiler or just use one pan with water in it then another slightly smaller pan or stainless steel/glass/ceramic bowl down inside it with the honey in it if you don't have a double boiler ;).

luzakat
December 11th, 2011, 07:54 AM
I finally tried this and my hair looked great the first day but the ends are all tangled now. I looked again at the ingredients of my conditioner and it lists protein so is that likely to have caused the problem? I didn't get curds when I mixed it.

cmg
December 11th, 2011, 08:29 AM
I dont know what the reason for the tangles are in your case. Protein is a possibility. But also it could just be the ends showing their natural state now, which is being damaged. Cones conceal this of course. You could put a few drops of silicone or condish on the ends with your fingers, or take care of the hair and cut off the very ends (a tiny bit goes far!).

I use coconut butter, coconut oil or shea butter for the ends. Some people say they get an overload-sorta frizz from coconut oil on the very ends, but I havent experienced this yet inspite of daily use.

I never use a microwave for my SMTs. I sorta fogot about it and then stopped bothering. My henna head is permanent now :D

MissLiner
December 15th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Tried my first SMT last night, with mixed results. I've been CO-ing for about 3 months, but I decided to shampoo before trying this (not sure why). I don't have any LHC-approved shampoo, so I used Suave Naturals Coconut that I bought by mistake (thought it was the condish). Then I used GNTM, Trader Joe's Clear Aloe Gel, and Trader Joe's Clover Honey, and heated for 20 seconds. No clumps, applied thickly, left on under a shower cap for over an hour, and rinsed (my hair felt the same as usual). After rinsing/patting dry, I noticed the white things, but once dry they seemed to disappear. My hair has more volume and looks a little lighter, but I feel like this might be from the shampoo removing buildup from the CO. Besides that, I don't really feel a difference. I want to try again, any advice on which ingredient/step I should change first?

dmarie16
December 16th, 2011, 01:59 AM

What conditioner did you use? You can try less honey which is probably where the stickiness came from. I use 4 TBSP conditioner, 1 TBSP honey, 1 TBSP aloe, 1 tsp coconut oil along with a few drops of sweet orange and neroli EOs. I apply after washing with suave clarifying shampoo or with poo bar and ACV rinse. Leave on over night then rinse very well with warm water. Use extra conditioner if you get that sticky feeling and rinse again.

MoreWhenNuh
December 16th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Got my first SMT on my head now. I figured I need a really good moisture treatment since I clarified my hair a few days ago and never put any sort of conditioner in afterwards. I noticed the conditioner I bought has protein in it, I think. I just went for a cone-free one (suave tropical coconut) but then saw someone post that amino acids meant protein. Oh well.

zombi
December 17th, 2011, 05:33 AM
You can heat the honey in a double boiler or just use one pan with water in it then another slightly smaller pan or stainless steel/glass/ceramic bowl down inside it with the honey in it if you don't have a double boiler ;).
Wow! I didn't think of a double boiler. How obvious! Thanks so much -- I've really been wanting to try this.

MoreWhenNuh
December 17th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Well the suave trolocal coconut did not work well. It left little white bits of protein (I guess) in my hair. :(

Which I now see has happened to others with the same conditioner.

lolot
December 17th, 2011, 07:36 PM
i did one today, and it looks shiny but is not soft as i thought it would be, actually it feels a bit crunchy and kind of dry i have done 2 before without aloe and the results were kind of pleasant but not as wonderful, could it be the conditioner? it has cones in it.

Lissandria
December 18th, 2011, 03:15 AM
i did one today, and it looks shiny but is not soft as i thought it would be, actually it feels a bit crunchy and kind of dry i have done 2 before without aloe and the results were kind of pleasant but not as wonderful, could it be the conditioner? it has cones in it.

from what I've heard coney and protein conditioners don't usually work so well. Could be either of these, what did you use?

lolot
December 18th, 2011, 02:17 PM
from what I've heard coney and protein conditioners don't usually work so well. Could be either of these, what did you use?

i used klorane 2 spoons of cond of quinine and B vitamins and 2 spoons of Conditioner with mango butter wich i like but they are a bit expensive for the quantity of the product, today my hair looks really dry :(

Audhumla
December 19th, 2011, 12:57 AM
i used klorane 2 spoons of cond of quinine and B vitamins and 2 spoons of Conditioner with mango butter wich i like but they are a bit expensive for the quantity of the product, today my hair looks really dry
Even if your hair likes cones the klorane quinine and B vitamin conditioner has dimethicone as the second ingredient . . sounds more like a shine serum than a conditioner to me in a few ways. Maybe it would be worth clarifying and trying again ? All those cones could just be locking out any moisture you're trying to put in which is one of the reasons I believe clarifying before and cone-free conditioners work better in moisture treatments from what I've heard even if cones normally work for you.
I hope you work it out anyway :)

cmg
December 19th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Yes I second that. Try without cones and see if this works better for you.

lolot
December 19th, 2011, 10:57 PM
thanks girls :P
yeah ill try that, i just that is so much difficult to find conditioners without cones and shampoos without sulfates, i already found a good shampoo, but i have trouble with the cone thing, i might look better, maybe the body shop or sally

Jezerellica
December 20th, 2011, 12:09 AM
thanks girls :P
yeah ill try that, i just that is so much difficult to find conditioners without cones and shampoos without sulfates, i already found a good shampoo, but i have trouble with the cone thing, i might look better, maybe the body shop or sally
L"Oreal has a couple. I just picked up one to try. I am so exited to try my first SMT tomorrow! Wheeee!! :blossom: Good luck on your search!

Lissandria
December 20th, 2011, 07:19 PM
^^Also Vo5 if you're in the US/canada or TRESemme do good cone-free conditioners

bouclée
December 23rd, 2011, 05:29 AM
I just did a SMT today with Fructis Triple Nutrition as a conditioner (I am looking for a natural organic CO but have four bottles of Fructis left...). The result is great, as usual: soft hair and nice curls :)

aimison
December 24th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Trying my first SMT in a couple of minutes. I did a henna touch-up on my roots last night/this morning and I'm looking a bit frizzy today.

My plan is to do 4 parts conditioner (Suave Naturals Coconut) with 1 part aloe and split the 1 part honey into half honey and half coconut oil.

Will report back in a few hours. :)

airmid
December 24th, 2011, 08:57 AM
I did this the other day with Live Clean argan oil conditioner! I wasn't too sure on the conditioner, how well it would work, but it certainly didn't work badly! My ends were still a little dry from splits (yet much better than before!) but the rest of my hair was just... mmmmmm!!! I wish I'd had a better quality honey, it would have been even nicer then, I think!
Does anyone know if Live Clean conditioner has cones/protein in it?

aimison
December 24th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Yay! I am thrilled with the results of my first SMT. The top of my head was slightly crunchy/flaky after it dried so I might cut back on the amount of aloe used next time but overall I am very pleased.

I also think I mixed up waaaay too much (it was running down my face from under the shower cap for a little bit). How much do you all usually make up (as in volume-wise--I think I made 2 cups? total)?

Audhumla
December 24th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Does anyone know if Live Clean conditioner has cones/protein in it?
Here's the ingredient list I found:
Aqua (Purified Water), with Argania Spinosa Extract, Argania Spinosa Kernel (Argan) Oil, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil*, Olea Europea (Olive) Fruit Oil*, Cetrimonium Chloride, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Cera Alba, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol/Polysorbate 60, Quaternium-18, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate, Panthenol, Parfum, Citric Acid (*Certified Organic)

So can't see any cones or protein in there but it has quats (quaternary ammonium compounds) namely the Cetrimonium Chloride and Quaternium-18. Probably best to do your own research on quats and decide if they're for you or not.

suzye
December 25th, 2011, 12:18 AM
This is amazing, I can't wait to try it.

lolot
December 26th, 2011, 10:04 PM
^^Also Vo5 if you're in the US/canada or TRESemme do good cone-free conditioners

i was in a store yesterday and i had some bottles of Vo5 in my hand but i read a long list of ingredients that i dont know what they are and i didnt know what to do, so i didnt buy it, and i was travelling so i regret a bit
but it would be awesome to have a post explaining what are all those ingredients, isnt one already over here? :p

Audhumla
December 26th, 2011, 10:36 PM
it would be awesome to have a post explaining what are all those ingredients, isnt one already over here? :p
Did you mean for the live clean ingredient list I posted ?
I study chem so I'm sure I could give it a crack although there are certainly more qualified people lurking around.
Or did you mean how to identify cones and protein etc?

lolot
December 27th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Did you mean for the live clean ingredient list I posted ?
I study chem so I'm sure I could give it a crack although there are certainly more qualified people lurking around.
Or did you mean how to identify cones and protein etc?

that is so cool!
i would like to know what are those ingredients because when i see a long list of them with weird names i get a little scared of not knowing what i put to my body. I would love to see your list.
thanks for replying :o

Audhumla
December 27th, 2011, 10:50 PM
that is so cool!
i would like to know what are those ingredients because when i see a long list of them with weird names i get a little scared of not knowing what i put to my body. I would love to see your list.
thanks for replying :o
If you're looking for general information on ingredients you could check out:

This article http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53479 about cones and also their solubility

If you're looking for a quick and detailed reference on cosmetic ingredients this is a good site http://www.cosmeticscop.com/cosmetic-ingredient-dictionary/A.aspx (this site also allow you to look at categories of ingredients and they have a category for silicones so if you'd like to check if something is a silicone or not this would help)

or For a more summarised reference that some people may find easier to use there is also this site http://www.gina.antczak.btinternet.co.uk/CU/ING.HTM
(http://www.gina.antczak.btinternet.co.uk/CU/ING.HTM)
On the subject of proteins I haven't found a good specific reference but you can identify a protein firstly as any ingredient containing the word protein (duh :p) but also any ingredient containing the words amino acid(s), silk, rice, oat, wheat, soy, or milk or ingredients listed as hydrolysed_______ or any combination of those things. Keratin and Collagen are also proteins. The main effect that protein ingredients seem to have on hair is that they decrease elasticity. If your hair doesn't get enough protein it can strengthen the hair but if your hair already has enough and then you give it protein it can make the hair brittle / more prone to breakage.
If you want to experiment with proteins and want to see which ones work for you then this list may be helpful: (you may use it to see if any specific amino acid could potentially be the one that doesn't work for you as some people can use one protein and not another. For example from the list below if collagen worked for you but silk protein didn't then you might suspect the alanine and work from there. This is just an idea. I'd like to hear feedback if this helps or makes sense to anyone else :))
Protein Major Amino Acids

Collagen- Glycine, proline

Keratin- Proline, lysine, cysteine

Silk- Glycine and alanine

Soy- Glutamic acid, aspartic acid

Rice- Glutamic acid, aspartic acid, arginine

Milk- Glutamic acid, proline (contains all eight of the “essential” amino acids)

Oat- Glutamine, lysine

Wheat- Arginine, Leucine, Methionine

As for the specific ingredients in the Live Clean conditioner:

Out of the ingredients in my post at the top of the page, the ingredients that are oils and waxes are relatively obvious and you can probably investigate their properties elsewhere but for the other ingredients:

Cetrimonium Chloride: A quat (quaternary ammonium compound). Used as an anti-static agent as well as an antiseptic and cleanser/emulsifier. Quats(quaternary ammonium compounds) are attracted to hair and form a temporary smooth surface over the hair. Some quats can cause irritation but some of the more extreme reports on these chemicals are based on the safety information for the pure substance and clearly you are only using a dilute solution so I'd advise you to make your own assessment if they have any adverse affects for you and be mindful of whether you're looking at information for a pure substance or for lower concentrations. It is inadvisable according to some sources to use products containing quats on broken skin. Some people who use very gentle washing methods have mentioned that they avoid quats because they find them occassionally difficult to remove so you can be the judge of that for your situation.

Cera Alba: Beeswax. Commonly used as a thickening agent.

Cetyl Alcohol: Emollient(moisturiser), emulsifyer(cleanser and helps stability of the product) and thickening agent. It can also be used as an opacifier (to make a mixture opaque)

Stearyl Alcohol: Emollient and emulsion stabiliser(aids stability of product in storage especially considering how much plant oil this product contains)

Glycerin: A skin-friendly humectant (draws water to itself)

Cetearyl Alcohol/Polysorbate 60: An emulsifying wax.

Quaternium-18: Anti-static agent (quaternium-18 is a quat)

Phenoxyethanol: Preservative. I think the most commonly held view of phenoxyethanol is that it is safe up to 1% in cosmetics. I have read articles about the supposed dangers of phenoxyethanol and they all seem ill-advised to me. You could try reading this http://www.utahstories.com/2009/11/03/debating-the-chemical-of-the-month-phenoxyethanol/
if you're interested in reading more (I would suggest if you do read it to pay attention to the second post entitled "Response to Stepnahie's article by Dr. Alan D. Eastman" as that is the opinion on the subject of phenoxyethanol that has seemed the most considered and logical to me although I have to say I'm not an expert)

Sodium Benzoate: Preservative. The only information I've seen on this ingredient that identifies it as dangerous or problematic was based on safety information for the pure substance which is inappropriate to use for a dilute mixture.

Panthenol: Has humectant-like and anti-static properties. I have heard people who use gentle washing methods say that they try and avoid panthenol similar to quats but with most washing methods I haven't heard of any problems with build-up.

So there you go. I hope this helps but keep in mind I'm definitely not the most experienced voice on matters of the chemistry of cosmetics. Anyone with more knowledge and/or experience than me feel free to correct me if I'd made a mistake here.

aimison
December 28th, 2011, 08:28 PM
How often would you do an SMT? I love how my hair looked after my first one this weekend and I want to try again soon (maybe every week?)--however, I'm concerned it will make my hair over-conditioned/oily.

lolot
December 28th, 2011, 08:38 PM
wow Audhumla, thank you very much for sharing your knowledge, its pretty awesome and useful for someone like me.

akilina
December 28th, 2011, 10:55 PM
I did my first one tonight...my hair feels AMAZING!!! I used 2 different conditioners, clear 100&#37; aloe, and avocado oil. its only half dry right now but i can tell how good it feels. my only problem was that there was little tiny white chunks left in my hair...:/ but i just rinsed once more and i think they are gone

naturegirl321
December 29th, 2011, 02:55 AM
Would this work with aloe vera butter?

Audhumla
December 29th, 2011, 03:41 AM
Would this work with aloe vera butter?

I have read that aloe vera butter is made by combining aloe vera gel and coconut oil. If this is the case I don't see why it wouldn't work as a few people including myself seem to have substituted honey for various oils with success. Maybe try it with 2:1 conditioner to aloe vera butter instead of 4:1:1 conditioner, honey, aloe so that you get enough aloe in there. Just a thought.

naturegirl321
December 29th, 2011, 04:10 AM
ok, thanks. TIme to order aloe vera butter.

Katleen
January 4th, 2012, 05:31 AM
I did my first SMT yesterday... After rinsing it out, it felt a bit strange, not bad strange, just different from what it usually feels like :o

As it was late, I put my half dry hair in braids and went to sleep. When I took the braids out this morning... Wow!!
So soft and shiney! I put it up for work, but I can't seem to stop feeling and touching my hair :D
I did warm the mixture, so there shouldn't be a lightening effect, but the color is better. It has probably more to do with the restored moisture and shine though.

This could get addictive... But from now on a weekly treat for my hair!
Thanks for the recipe!!!!!

MissLiner
January 9th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Okay, yay, I finally got it right for my hair! I used Aussie Moist this time, Trader Joe honey and aloe gel, and a little jojoba oil. I didn't heat it since I don't care if it lightens. I applied it to my dry, unwashed hair, left it in for about 2 hours, then rinsed it like a CO-wash (got a great lather going). I can't believe how soft and light it is (weight-wise, not color-wise). I'm really surprised that the coney conditioner worked better than Suave or Triple Moisture, but it really is a noticable difference. It's crazy how different everyone's hair is!

sazzie88
January 10th, 2012, 12:26 PM
I have just bought some Aloe gel but it is the green one not the clear one would this still work? Im not sure if I have brought the correct thing

Anje
January 10th, 2012, 12:58 PM
The green type tends to have anesthetics for soothing sunburn. It won't hurt your hair (assuming it's not full of alcohol -- you might want to double-check), but I suppose it could numb your scalp for a little while.

sazzie88
January 10th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Oh my numb my head? Im am worried now ha ha. I really want to try it but unsure now. It contains:

aqua,alchohol denat, Glycerin, Aloe Barbadenis, Polysorbate 60, Dimethicone copolyol, Sodium Carbomer, Parfum, Imidazolidinyl Urea,Cl42090, and Cl 19140

Do you think this would be ok? they dont seem very natural ?

Anje
January 10th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Honestly, I'd go find some clear stuff. This has more alcohol in it than it does aloe.

I don't know where you are. If you have a Walmart near you, though, look among the lotions and such for "Fruit of the Earth" clear aloe gel. That's a favorite around here. My husband also likes it as a hair gel and to shave with.

sazzie88
January 10th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Ahh I wish there was a Walmart im in the Uk near london. :-( I hope |I can take it back it cost nearly &#163;10 ha ha.

Do you think it would damage/be silly to try it? Its wash night tonight

Lissandria
January 11th, 2012, 04:34 AM
^^Off topic, but that bugs me that pharmaceutical companies market stuff as aloe vera gel for sunburn when it has mostly alcohol. Ugh. Couldn't think of anything worse for Sunburn than alcohol even if it does have aloe in it :/

isbmlamloi
January 11th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Last night was my third SMT, using only the V05 Sun-Kissed Raspberry conditioner, Fruit of the Earth aloe, and honey, no other experimentation. The most notable thing about the SMT process was that this time, after the clarifying shampooing and before I had applied the SMT, I combed my hair out and had no problems! I'm used to thinking of my hair as impossible to comb out if it's not conditioned. This is definitely a change, so I must be doing something right!

Anje
January 11th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Ahh I wish there was a Walmart im in the Uk near london. :-( I hope |I can take it back it cost nearly £10 ha ha.

Do you think it would damage/be silly to try it? Its wash night tonight
Well, I might be too late getting back to you, but if I were in your position, I think I'd just leave the aloe out of the mix altogether. Even a warm blend of conditioner and honey will be nicely moisturizing.

Wish I could send you some. Or an aloe plant -- I've got two monster ones in my apartment.

sazzie88
January 12th, 2012, 03:38 AM
Well, I might be too late getting back to you, but if I were in your position, I think I'd just leave the aloe out of the mix altogether. Even a warm blend of conditioner and honey will be nicely moisturizing.

Wish I could send you some. Or an aloe plant -- I've got two monster ones in my apartment.

Thank you for your reply! I didnt do it in the end. Do you use your aloe plant on your hair? I might have to buy one:)

I tried some of the green icky stuff I had on a small section on dry hair and didnt do anymore it dried my hair out!

hellokrilly
January 13th, 2012, 07:25 AM
I've been using SMT successfully for a few months now,but yesterday I don't know why I've made another one with another condish.I usually use Inecto Pure Coconut Infusing (available in Uk and cone-free) and no Aloe since my hair hates it.After a clarifying shampoo,I've used Alberto Balsam Sunkissed Raspberry which contains cyclomethicone...oh dear it was a disaster: my hair was really dry and stiff especially my ends (which I trimmed before) and it left me a really strange smell that even my boyfriend noticed.It smelled of chemicals,I really don't know how to explain it,almost like really cheap hairspray.It still smelled this morning, so I rushed to the bathroom after oiling all night with coconut, and washed my hair,it was so dry that I had to use a heavy condish (VO5 Nourish me truly),my hair is better,softer but the funny smell is still here in the background...did anyone experienced this before?

sycamoreboutiqu
January 13th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Anybody have a good source for the clear aloe in bigger volumes ? I haven't checked Walmart recently but everywhere else I can only find the clear in small tubes but the green or blue in BIG bottles.
You would think less ingredients would cost less, but not so.

Scarlet_Heart
January 15th, 2012, 12:10 PM
It has probably already been asked, but this thread is so long. Has anyone tried using aloe vera juice? The stuff I have is all natural.

GRU
January 15th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Anybody have a good source for the clear aloe in bigger volumes ? I haven't checked Walmart recently but everywhere else I can only find the clear in small tubes but the green or blue in BIG bottles.
You would think less ingredients would cost less, but not so.

Walmart is the only place I've seen the big bottles.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fruit-Of-The-Earth-Aloe-Vera-Gel-12-oz/10314797

I typically find them on the bottom shelf alongside the other obscure hand lotions, like Corn Huskers.

MasCat
January 15th, 2012, 02:07 PM
I told my student's parents that I use aloe juice for my hair etc and they... gave me an aloe vera plant for my namesday :D When I go through my juice bottle I'll try some fresh squeezed aloe :D

B-L
January 15th, 2012, 02:22 PM
I have something to confess!!
I am an SMT virgin! O_o
I have long wanted to try this treatment but don't know why I have not done it yet..

Next washday - then my virginity will be taken! LOL :D

Audhumla
January 15th, 2012, 07:40 PM
It has probably already been asked, but this thread is so long. Has anyone tried using aloe vera juice? The stuff I have is all natural.
I've read several people in this thread saying that they've had very good results with aloe vera juice when they haven't been able to get the gel. As far as I can tell they've used the same ratio as the original recipe and just substituted the same number of tablespoons of juice for the gel.

Scarlet_Heart
January 15th, 2012, 07:45 PM
I've read several people in this thread saying that they've had very good results with aloe vera juice when they haven't been able to get the gel. As far as I can tell they've used the same ratio as the original recipe and just substituted the same number of tablespoons of juice for the gel.

Thank you! I have both clear aloe gel and aloe vera juice. But the gel tends to make my hair crunchy, so I'm leaning more toward the juice.

As a side note, I bought the aloe vera juice because I was getting winter scalp (dry, flaky, itchy). So I use a medicine dropper to squirt aloe juice onto my scalp and rub it in. It's worked wonders, no more flaky scalp.

Audhumla
January 15th, 2012, 09:17 PM
As a side note, I bought the aloe vera juice because I was getting winter scalp (dry, flaky, itchy). So I use a medicine dropper to squirt aloe juice onto my scalp and rub it in. It's worked wonders, no more flaky scalp.
Oh really, that's cool. I'll remember that for when winter rolls around in a few months.

CrunchyMama
January 22nd, 2012, 06:48 PM
I did my first SMT tonight. I have little white flecks left over that I couldn't rinse out, but I don't know if I can blame the SMT or not, because I preceded it with a DIY protein treatment... (tonight was spa Sunday at my house, lol)

So I had some slightly expired mayo in the fridge--I mixed a large amount of it with EVOO and some drops of peppermint EO so it didn't stink so badly. I applied it all over hair that I sprayed damp, twisted it up, and wrapped a plastic bag over it for an hour. I'd never done one before, but I thought I'd give it a whirl, since I have fine hair that felt a little "stretchy."

I mixed up my SMT, using Garnier Sleek & Shine conditioner (cone-free, of course), honey, a bit of coconut oil, and JASON AVG. I admit, I didn't measure, but eyeballed the proportions. Warmed it up in the microwave. It smelled INCREDIBLE, btw. Then I rinsed my protein mask out from my hair as best as I could using cool water until it felt like I'd gotten it all out, and slathered on the SMT. This I also wrapped in a plastic bag... and I think it was about 1.5 hours on my head.

So I rinsed it out while I took a shower. I did a little extra CO was on the scalp. But I could NOT get these little white fleckies out! I didn't want to shampoo because I'm on a CO trial til the end of the month... so if I can't brush them out when my hair is dry, I'll try another CO wash tomorrow.

Anyway, I eagerly await to see what my hair is like when it has dried. And I don't feel like this was an entirely failed experiment, because it felt nice to pamper myself for the evening!!!

beckishness
January 22nd, 2012, 07:23 PM
I did my first SMT tonight. I have little white flecks left over that I couldn't rinse out, but I don't know if I can blame the SMT or not, because I preceded it with a DIY protein treatment... (tonight was spa Sunday at my house, lol)

I did my first SMT tonight too and I noticed that I had little white flecks in my hair. Not sure what they are either....maybe they are just pieces of the mix that didn't rinse out?

BlueMuse
January 22nd, 2012, 08:45 PM
I've had the white flecks too. I think it's the aloe.

Roscata
January 23rd, 2012, 12:33 AM
That sucks about your flaky scalp CrunchyMama. Have you tried doing a sugar scalp scrub? (You mix granulated sugar with a light oil like EVOO and then scrub your scalp with it, you can wash it out with a CO.)

CrunchyMama
January 23rd, 2012, 07:18 AM
That sucks about your flaky scalp CrunchyMama. Have you tried doing a sugar scalp scrub? (You mix granulated sugar with a light oil like EVOO and then scrub your scalp with it, you can wash it out with a CO.)

It wasn't a flaky scalp, Roscata. It's not dry at all, in fact, the complete opposite, which is why I've been doing CO this month. It was some kind of white gunky residue. Problem is, I don't know if it was from the DIY protein treatment or one of the ingredients in my SMT!

I've had the white flecks too. I think it's the aloe.

BlueMuse, I don't think it was my aloe. I used one of the recommended brands...

As an update though, now that it is the next day and my hair is dry, the white gunky flecks seem to have vanished overnight. Perhaps they were absorbed? Perhaps they rubbed off onto my pillow? Who knows. My hair is SILKY SOFT AND SMOOTH, amazingly so... In fact, probably too slippy to hold with a hair stick, lol! It's a little greasy, but that's probably from the EVOO in my protein treatment--it may not have rinsed out all the way. Oh, and the shine! The non-greasy parts are soooo shiny and healthy looking! So overall, this was not a total fail, and I'm definitely going to try it again!!

snowfaery
January 23rd, 2012, 09:50 AM
I finally was able to mix up a correct treatment, took me a while to locate aloe vera, and I love it. The one thing I want to change is the frizz level it created. I think i'll just dial down the amount of honey until it's closer to what I want. I think another week of this and my hair will be henna ready.

Roscata
January 23rd, 2012, 10:20 AM
It wasn't a flaky scalp, Roscata. It's not dry at all, in fact, the complete opposite, which is why I've been doing CO this month. It was some kind of white gunky residue. Problem is, I don't know if it was from the DIY protein treatment or one of the ingredients in my SMT![...]

Scalp scrubs are meant to remove gunk, not to moisturize dry scalp. I get that stuff on my head too since I stopped SLS shampoo and I do overnight pre-wash oilings and have an oily scalp. I just thought you might want to give it a shot, since it made with ingredients you probably have and would only take a few minutes. It's up to you, really. :)

isbmlamloi
January 23rd, 2012, 11:17 AM
I have found that if I reduce the amount of time I heat up the SMT, the white flecks disappear. I think they're something in the mix cooking solid before you put it on your hair!

Lissandria
January 24th, 2012, 04:34 AM
Re: White Flecks, I find if I mix with the conditioner with the honey first, then microwave, THEN add the aloe gel I get a lump free, fleck free consistency. It all depends on your conditioner and gel ingredients of course, but thought it was worth mentioning :)

Lissandria
January 24th, 2012, 04:35 AM
Also haven't done an SMT in over 2 weeks. Im having withdrawals, man.

BrightStarPoet
January 31st, 2012, 12:45 AM
So I'm a long time lurker, possibly first time poster (I've been a member for so long, I can't remember if I've ever posted or not). :)

I just thought I would share my recent experiences with SMT.

The first time I did SMT was a month ago. First I clarified with VO5 Kiwi Lime, then I used Aussie Moist conditioner, with Fruit of the Earth aloe gel and wal-mart brand clover honey. It seemed to work well, it rinsed out easily, and my hair felt pretty moisturized, though my ends (as ever) were frizzier than the rest of my hair.

My second SMT was a few days ago, and since the first SMT I have started a CO routine, which seems to be going well for my always oily scalp. This time I added an ACV rinse after clarifying, used the same honey and aloe gel, but instead used Aubrey Organics White Camelia Ultra-Smoothing conditioner. For the life of me, I could not get this to rinse out. My hair was really smooth, shiny, and my ends were fab, but there was so much product left in my hair that it looked like I hadn't washed my hair for weeks. The treatment didn't dry on my hair, and I have used this conditioner before (and since) this treatment without any difficulty rinsing, so not sure what went wrong. After three WO rinses to no avail, I finally shampooed the SMT out with Aussie daily shampoo.

Anyone else have any experience with Aubrey White Camellia conditioner?

CrunchyMama
January 31st, 2012, 07:46 AM
Re: White Flecks, I find if I mix with the conditioner with the honey first, then microwave, THEN add the aloe gel I get a lump free, fleck free consistency. It all depends on your conditioner and gel ingredients of course, but thought it was worth mentioning :)

Thanks for this tip, I'll be sure to try this next time!!

BrightStarPoet
February 1st, 2012, 10:18 AM
Update: I think the AO White Camellia Ultra-Smoothing conditioner and I just don't get along. I used it this morning in a CO wash, and it has left my hair covered in a greasy residue. It doesn't do this if I use some other conditioner for the scalp and the AO from the ears down. I guess I'm going to have to work out a compromise, since this condish is nice on my ends.

In the meantime, I've got my hair in braids and a braided bun to hide the greasies. This will be a looong greasy hair day at work!

jtsck
February 1st, 2012, 09:07 PM
I did my first SMT last night and I am fairly happy with the results. I only CO'd it out and I don't normally do that. I would like to leave it on more time and see what happens with that. I will say that my newly discovered wavy hair soaked up the moisture and wanted to curl like crazy even after I brushed it!!!! I think more moisture could continue to expose more waves and curls!

snowfaery
February 1st, 2012, 10:58 PM
Ok I mixed up a half honey batch of SMT for a friend of mine after she saw how much sucess I have been having with it. She has used it twice and it is making her hair worse. She has kind of dry hair to begin with and it's making her hair more fragile and the non dry hair is drying out. It doesn't seem to be moisturizing it at all. Another side effect that she experiences with it is a much bigger concern. If she gets it on her scalp it actually causes her whole head to go really numb very similar to when she has allergic reactions to pineapple. Is this normal?

SoulOfTheSea
February 1st, 2012, 11:02 PM
Quick question- I live in a dry Mediterranean climate- so that means Aloe Vera gel alone does nothing for my hair in terms of moisturizing except smooth flyaways at my roots, is an SMT really going to work for me, especially in the dry dry winter?

Amazinggrace
February 2nd, 2012, 06:52 AM
Ok I mixed up a half honey batch of SMT for a friend of mine after she saw how much sucess I have been having with it. She has used it twice and it is making her hair worse. She has kind of dry hair to begin with and it's making her hair more fragile and the non dry hair is drying out. It doesn't seem to be moisturizing it at all. Another side effect that she experiences with it is a much bigger concern. If she gets it on her scalp it actually causes her whole head to go really numb very similar to when she has allergic reactions to pineapple. Is this normal?

No, those are not normal reactions. Diffrent thing work for diffrent people, I would tell her not to use it again.

kjirstiben
February 2nd, 2012, 07:58 AM
Quick question- I live in a dry Mediterranean climate- so that means Aloe Vera gel alone does nothing for my hair in terms of moisturizing except smooth flyaways at my roots, is an SMT really going to work for me, especially in the dry dry winter?

I live in the desert (southwestern United States), and I've done SMTs with excellent results. Make sure you apply it over wet hair, and you might want to apply some sort of oil/leave-in to your hair before letting it dry afterwards, and you'll get all the benefits even in a dry climate!

HelloKitteh
February 6th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Thank you for your reply! I didnt do it in the end. Do you use your aloe plant on your hair? I might have to buy one:)

I tried some of the green icky stuff I had on a small section on dry hair and didnt do anymore it dried my hair out!

Sazzie, in case you'd still be interested, the 1p sale at Holland and Barrett (buy one, get the 2nd for 1p) is going on right now, and you can get Aloe Vera Gel in that offer (clear gel, ingredients are aloe barbadensis leaf juice, acrylates, alkyl acrylate crosspolymer, panthenol, disodium EDTA, sodium hydroxide, phenoxyethanol) for GBP 5 I think. You can combine any 1p sale product, so no need to buy 2 of them, I think some honey is included in that sale :)

HelloKitteh
February 7th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Tried it for the first time last night after CO wash. It hasn't solved my puffy/poofy(?) hair problems, but there are less flyaways, hair is soft (it has been dry for ages but in the past 2 weeks I've been on LHC I've smothered my hair in oils and moisturizers of all kind) and isn't weighted down or greasy, so definitely a keeper. :cheese:
I did it with Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Luscious Long Hair (in the UK) which has some 'cones in. I heated the mixture in a pan (with a simmer plate below) but the aloe vera gel made a few clumps that I didn't manage to get rid off at application time. Those clumps did wash away no problem though.

jtsck
February 8th, 2012, 10:30 PM
I have done 2 SMTs and I am very happy with the results! I have been applying it to dampened hair and then COing it back out. I think I might try to CWC with it as the second C and then leave it overnight this weekend. My DH thinks I have gone nuts but my hair feels so soft and well moisturized!

Helenae
February 9th, 2012, 10:07 AM
I bought on the internet an electric heat cap for this conditioning treatment! Can't wait to try it out! :D

LocustSpawning
February 10th, 2012, 07:03 AM
I have another SMT on my head right now ^_^ well, kinda. No Aloe gel. 4 Tablespoons of Garnier Fructis Repair & Shine conditioner, 1 tablespoon of honey and half a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. I'm gonna leave it for about 4 hours I think..

LocustSpawning
February 10th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Argh... what the hell?! I left it on for AGES after clarifying, it's drying now and it feels straw like!!!!!

PurplePenguin
February 10th, 2012, 02:07 PM
I did my first SMT last night, I mixed it up with DH wasn't home so he wouldn't tease me about the ingredients. I used V05's split end treatment conditioner ('cone free...I still can't believe the V05's are 'cone free!), clover honey (I didn't have any other honey), and clear aloe gel. I smothered it on my hair and put a cap over it. I think I might have done something wrong though because I tried really hard to wring all the water out of my hair before I applied but it was still dripping like crazy. Also, does anyone else find it to be very sticky when it does drip onto your neck and face? Otherwise I was happy with the results (wasn't looking for a miracle as I had just chemically lightened my hair)!

Katleen
February 11th, 2012, 05:50 AM
Purple Penguin, I also find my hair dripping wet after I applied the mixture, but I put it up with a small claw clip before putting the tin foil (always use tin foil, works better for me to keep it warm) on.

I'm completely in love with SMT's, I have used them on my daughter, which worked miracles as well... At the moment I'm sitting here with the SMT on my head, wonderful!:p

Sundial
February 11th, 2012, 09:31 AM
I did my first SMT last night, I mixed it up with DH wasn't home so he wouldn't tease me about the ingredients. I used V05's split end treatment conditioner ('cone free...I still can't believe the V05's are 'cone free!), clover honey (I didn't have any other honey), and clear aloe gel. I smothered it on my hair and put a cap over it. I think I might have done something wrong though because I tried really hard to wring all the water out of my hair before I applied but it was still dripping like crazy. Also, does anyone else find it to be very sticky when it does drip onto your neck and face? Otherwise I was happy with the results (wasn't looking for a miracle as I had just chemically lightened my hair)!

I used to have that problem. You can do one of two things: stick the mixture in the fridge for a bit so that the honey in the mixture starts getting sticky, or you can just apply it directly to dry hair. Hope that helps

Sunny Elf
February 11th, 2012, 12:49 PM
I am just about to do my first SMT! I finally went and got Aloe Vera Gel, so here I go! Will post results later! I'm hoping that this will give my thirsty hair its needed moisture :) (Hehe, i'm excited, can you tell?)

Kitsu
February 11th, 2012, 01:37 PM
going to try this on my day off, can any honey be used? Also I thought honey lightened hair but if mixed like this I'll stay my colour?

Katleen
February 11th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Kitsu, you need to microwave the honey so that it doesn't lighten your hair.

Sunny Elf
February 12th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Oh. My. Goodness!! I am in love with SMT's!! I mixed four tablespoons of VO5 Sunkissed Raspberry conditioner, one tablespoon each of honey and aloe vera gel, smothered my hair with it, and left on for six hours. when I went to rinse it out I noticed it was a lot less slimy, as other people said, meaning my hair just soaked it right up! When I rinsed it out, even when it was still soaking wet I noticed how much softer and shinier and silkier it was! I sealed with a shea butter/aloe vera/EVOO mixture, put it in a french braid and went to sleep. Now my hair is softer than it's been in who knows how long! (Not to mention how nice my braid waves are!!)

rstuart1
February 13th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Figured we should get basic directions for an SMT up, since noobies tend to get directed to it quite often. This isn't my recipe -- LHCer Snowymoon (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=613) came up with it, and it's a great moisture treatment that many of us swear by.

SMT Recipe
4 parts conditioner
1 part honey
1 part clear aloe gel

Heat in the microwave for a few seconds til it's warm, then apply to wet or dry hair (especially the ends). Cover hair with a shower cap/shopping bag/clingy food wrap/whatever, and let it sit for as long as you can stand it (30 minutes to overnight). Rinse out, do not shampoo.

A few notes:
Conditioners work best when they have minimal protein. Many people also avoid conditioners with silicone compounds for this. (I haven't experimented with protein ones, so that's word-of-mouth. I think protein-containing conditioners are likely to give lumpy, blobby results.)
No, the honey shouldn't leave your hair sticky. Try it with the honey first.
Aloe gels should be free of alcohols and numbing agents. Usually, the clear ones (as opposed to the green and blue ones) are best in this regard.
ETA: Snowymoon's Original Post

Snowy's Deep Moisture Treatment:inlove:

I have used my own moisture treatment twice with GREAT results. Hair is still wet, but very happy!!!

Snowy's Fave Moisture Treatment
1 part Fave conditioner (must be moisture), mine is VO5-Sun Kissed Raspberry.
1/4 part honey
1/4 part clear aloe vera gel (I use Fruit of the Earth).

Place in a cup and warm in microwave for 10 to 15 seconds--just until warm. Wash hair and squeeze out excess, blot dry, leave in under heat cap, warm towels or shower cap, what have you, for an hour or so. Rinse well. Finish (add leave-in if you do so) and style as usual Wah-la!!! Extreme Moistness. This is great after protein treatments!!! WOOT!!!:rockerdud

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ My own Method ~

I thought I would share with you the method I use most often when using SMT.

When I make it, I do the following:

~ Mix all ingredients in a cup and stir with a spoon.
~ Pop in in the microwave for a very short time, just enough to warm it.
~ Stir it again with a spoon.
~ Thoroughly rinse hair.
~ Clean hair with method of choice if not using SMT as the cleanser (CO wash) and rinse well. If using SMT as the cleanser, rinse hair well and go to the next step.
~ Squeeze out excess water.
~ Blot dry with a towel gently.
~ Apply the SMT all over, massage it into the scalp and comb it through for a bit.
~ wrap hair in a bun on the top of my head and put a plastic bag or shower cap over this.
~ Can use a heat cap here, and sometimes I do, but usually I just put a towel over that.
~ Leave on for an hour, if you can, or even longer.
~ Rinse well.
~ Finish, dry and style as usual.
~ Shiny hair! :biggrin:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SMT...it's not just for deep treatments anymore!!

For an added treat, if your hair likes oils, you may want to try Ursula's Mega-Moisturizing Oil/SMT/Aloe Wash (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=66716#post66716) (MMW). It is a great way to use SMT as a cleaning method.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A NOTE OF THANKS

I would like to thank all the people who posted replies in this thread, and all who will post in the future. With your help, the following lists were created, which in turn will help all those coming across this thread for the first time. You all make this place great!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LIST OF CONDITIONERS; THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY

Some conditioners appear to work in this recipe better than others. In an SMT gone wrong, many report lumps, clumping and difficulty rinsing. So, if you try a conditioner you are unsure of and you see lumps, chances are it may not be a conditioner that will work well with SMT. You can post here or PM me if you would like to add a conditioner to the following lists.

Conditioners and other ingredients reported to work well
Africa shea oil
Aubrey Organics GPB
Aussie 3MM
Aussie Mega conditioner
bananas from babyfood jars
bear-jar honey
Biolage Conditioning Balm
Body Shop Brazil Nut Conditioner
Burt's Bees Avacado pre-shampoo treatment
castor oil
Devacurl One conditioner
Down Under Naturals papaya moisture care conditioner
Elucence conditionerExtra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
Fekkai shea butter
Flaxseed oil
Fresh f21c Meadowfoam Conditioner
Fudge Dynamite
Giannini's Curl & Twirl conditioner
Giovanni 50/50
Kenra
KMS Curlup Curl Hydrator
J/A/S/O/N Jojoba conditioner
Jessicurl Weekly Deep Treatment (best results reported when using Lily of the Valley aloe gel)
jojoba oil
Les Karités
L'Oreal Vive Smooth-Intense Masque
Lush Henna (1 square used as a henna glossing treatment)
Origins Happy Endings
ORS carrot oil
ORS Hair Mayonaise
Mane N' Tail conditioner
Melrose Spray-in conditioner
molassas
Nature's Gate Herbal
Nature's Gate Jojoba conditioner
Nexxus Ensure
Nexxus Humectress
Nexxus KeraPhix
Pantene conditioner
Terax Crema
Trader Joe's Aloe Vera Gel
Trader Joe's Honey
Trader Joe's NourishSpa
Redken Smooth Down
shea butter
Suave Aloe Vera
Suave Milk and Honey (contains protein--see problem list)*
Suave Naturals Chamomile
TRESemme Vitamin E Moisturizing conditioner (see the problem list)
various essential oils
VO5 Blueberries and Cream
VO5 Extra Body
VO5 Tangerine Tickle
VO5 Tea Therapy Calming Chamomile
VO5 Sunkissed Raspberry
VO5 Free Me Fresia

Conditioners and other ingredients reported to be problematic
AO Honeysuckle Rose (too thin?)
Beauty Formulas Avocado Oil Treatment Wax (no cones or proteins, but white buildup reported)
Burt's Bees Avacado (some stickiness reported)
Conditioners containing cones
Clover honey (flakes reported)
De~Luxe conditioner (specks reported and not good results)
Finesse Moisturizing
Jessicurl Weekly Deep Treatment when used with FOTE gel (curding reported)
Joico Moisturizer (white chunks, hard to rinse)
honey (frizz reported)
honey with beeswax
Inecto Moisture Miracle (flakes reported)
mango
Nature's Gate Herbal (rubbery feeling reported)
Nature's Gate Jojoba conditioner (flakes reported)
Redkin Heavy Cream (stringy, snotty white stuff reported)
Regis Olive Oil conditioner (white stuff reported)
Satinique Hair Repair Masque
Suave Aloe (chukiness reported)
Suave Mango Peach (some white chunks reported, but rinsed easily)
Suave Milk and Honey (curds reported)
Suave Strawberry (waxiness reported)
Toni and Guy Shine Addiction
Trader Joe's Clover Honey (rubbery feeling reported)
TRESemme Vitamin E Moisturizing conditioner (flecks reported--contains cones)
VO5 Blueberries and Cream (chunkiness reported)

Aloe gels reported to work well
Aloe fresh from live plant
Fruit of the Earth aloe gel clear (available at Wal-Mart)
Fruit of the Earth aloe gel green (see problem list)*
J/A/S/O/N Aloe Gel
Lilly of the Desert (available in health-food stores)
Nature's Life Aloe Vera Herbal Blend
Nature's Healer Aloe Vera
Mystify Your Senses
President's Choice Pure Aloe Gel

Aloe gels reported to be problematic
Aloe gels with pain relievers added (usually green in color)
Lilly of the Valley aloe gel (flakes reported)
Fruit of the Earth aloe gel (one report of this being problematic) clear gel
Real Aloe Vera Gel (rubbery feeling reported)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Trouble shooting:

If it went wrong it could be...

* It was overheated; try not heating the mix or just warming it.
* Wrong conditioner (see the above lists); cones seem to cause adverse effects, curdling and hard rinsing.
* Wrong aloe gel (see the above list)
* Wrong ratios; usually too much aloe gel will result in possible coating/harder rinsing.
* Not covering with a plastic bag or shower cap--if this mix dries on your hair, it can be hard to rinse out. If that does happen, soaking your hair in a tub of plain warm water for about 20 minutes and then doing a CO wash may loosen it and help remove it.

Hints:

* Some report using SMT as a CO wash with great results.
* If honey leaves you frizzy, try just using aloe gel mixed with conditioner.
* You may have to try different conditioners until you find the one that gives you the results you are looking for.
* You don't have to use a microwave to heat the mix, you can set a cup of it into a bowl of warm water. That may be a good option and an even more gentle way of warming it up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From the lists above, I think it is safe to say that dimethicone should be avoided when looking for a good SMT conditioner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some common abbreviations you may find in this thread:

CO - Conditioner or condition-only washing method.
C-COW-C - Condition-wash with shampoo/conditioner dilution-condition washing method.
CWC - Condition-wash-condition washing method.
SKR - VO5 Sun kissed Raspberry conditioner.
WO - Water only washing method

I <3 the idea of putting it on again and elaving it for a while also the other treatment sounds great thanks for reposting them 1 question how often to you SMT?

rstuart1
February 13th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Also has anyone tried this using the plant? if so what did you think of the results?

Amazinggrace
February 13th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Also has anyone tried this using the plant? if so what did you think of the results?

Many people have, if you go to the top of the page there is a search thread button, click that and type aloe plant into the search box, then you can see the posts that relate just to that (within this thread only).

:)

Dancing Fire
February 15th, 2012, 03:30 AM
I put a pinch of salt in my SMT last night, left it on for about 45 and today it feels so light and shiny!

Sherri
February 15th, 2012, 06:29 AM
I put a pinch of salt in my SMT last night, left it on for about 45 and today it feels so light and shiny!

What was the salt for?

Shypii90
February 15th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Sherri, the salt was probably to clean the hair and reduce the risk of it becoming too greasy.

I personally try this SMT mix with "Tresemme Naturals Conditioner"... it's quite new, has no cones and works really well on my hair! Maybe it's one to add to the original conditioner list :)

Sherri
February 15th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Sherri, the salt was probably to clean the hair and reduce the risk of it becoming too greasy.

I personally try this SMT mix with "Tresemme Naturals Conditioner"... it's quite new, has no cones and works really well on my hair! Maybe it's one to add to the original conditioner list :)

What was the salt for?
oh ok kinda like sugar scrub? I mainly have trouble with the clumps of conditioner that get left in my hair. That is why I do not SMT very often. I just dread tring to get the conditioner out of my hair :justy:

Dancing Fire
February 15th, 2012, 01:53 PM
I'm not sure what the salt does scientifically, but it felt cleaner and purified in a way. (read something about it brakes down the protein and as I henna my hair, it gets kind of crispy if I use to much protein containing products)

About the clumps of conditioner; (have never had clumps, only smooth easy to rinse) I've heard that it can happen if there is protein in your conditioner which coagulates when it's heated in the microwave oven. Try a different conditioner and see if it's lump-free?

cfreya
February 18th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Sitting with SMT on my hair right now, application etc seemed fine getting scared now though reading all your problems with washing it out

Going to leave it on for an hour praying it goes well! My hair neeeeds the moisture!

cfreya
February 19th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Wow my hair came out beautiful, so ridiculously soft and shiny. The only thing is my hair seems slightly greasy the next day, although I'm not sure I rinsed it out properly, will definitely be doing this again though, probably weekly as my hair seems so much thicker and softer

mommy2two
February 21st, 2012, 09:40 PM
I love this!! I even used it on my 2yr. DD as a CO, tonight I only left hers in a few minutes.:o We will see tomorrow hor her hair looks, I am gonna go dry mine now!!

Lipbalmbabe
February 23rd, 2012, 05:21 PM
Love this! I heard adding aloe Vera to co is great!

B-L
February 24th, 2012, 06:09 AM
So I've tried SMT few times with no success :wail:
I used honey, AV gel (99,6%) and my usual conditioner. I know my hair likes all these ingridients but not together! :hmm: My hair got crunchy and flat. I hade trouble washing it out.. so no wow-effect for me :(

I wonder why.. I really wanted this to work. My hair neeeeeds moisture!

Amazinggrace
February 24th, 2012, 06:46 AM
I used honey, AV gel (99,6%) and my usual conditioner. I know my hair likes all these ingridients but not together! :hmm: My hair got crunchy and flat. I hade trouble washing it out.. so no wow-effect for me :(

Does your conditioner have cones in it? I have found this works best with out cones, or a high protein conditioner (like Mane and tail). I like the Aussie 3MM or a VO5.

Anje
February 24th, 2012, 10:44 AM

I think sometimes the honey can give bad results. Ktani has blamed this on pollen particles in the past, which seems plausible. You might want to try it with a different form of sugar syrup, like molasses, corn syrup, or maple syrup.

Also, if you're not wrapping it up with a plastic baggy or shower cap, do that. It needs to stay moist.

blondyhead
February 24th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Thanks for posting, and thankyou Snowymoon for coming up with it in the first place :D Really helpful x

autumn leaves
February 24th, 2012, 12:03 PM
I had one last night. My hair feels nice today :D

Babs1039
February 24th, 2012, 07:12 PM
I've been searching everywhere for something to help my crispy bottom 6 inches of hair. It was so damaged for a previous bleach job gone terribly wrong. I've tried almost every conditioner on the market; even the Henna 'n' Placenta packs with no success. So this afternoon I tried my first SMT (what did I have to loose right?) and I love the way my hair feels. Not like squeaky straw anymore, but like real hair!!! I could actually comb my fingers through it with out it tangling or breaking after being conditioned. :cheese:

For my SMT I used:
1/4 cup Aussie 3 MM Deep Conditioner (with a small squirt of 3MM Smooth for the smell)
1TBSP white Aloe
1TBSP honey

I didn't warm the mixture as I wasn't worried about lightening effects it my have and I let it sit on my hair for 3 1/2 hours until I started getting a little drippage and rinsed clean. After my mom felt my hair she told me I have to do hers tomorrow. This will certainly become part of my new weekly hair care routine!

Lipbalmbabe
February 24th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Sounds great I'm going to try this tonight

B-L
February 25th, 2012, 12:29 AM
Does your conditioner have cones in it? I have found this works best with out cones, or a high protein conditioner (like Mane and tail). I like the Aussie 3MM or a VO5.

No, I don't use cones anymore.. so it can't be that. We only have Aussie in one store in this town and it's not near my house but maybe I'll drive out there :)

I think sometimes the honey can give bad results. Ktani has blamed this on pollen particles in the past, which seems plausible. You might want to try it with a different form of sugar syrup, like molasses, corn syrup, or maple syrup.

Also, if you're not wrapping it up with a plastic baggy or shower cap, do that. It needs to stay moist.

I do use plastic wrap because I know how honey can be if it dryes :bigeyes:
I'm gonna try a syrup.. does it matter if it's a dark or light syrup??

Lissandria
February 25th, 2012, 11:47 PM

Alot of people seem to use this conditioner for an SMT, myself included. It works AMAZINGLY well. It has been mentioned previously in this thread for sure, but yet to be added to the first post list. :)

ktani
February 26th, 2012, 08:40 AM
I think sometimes the honey can give bad results. Ktani has blamed this on pollen particles in the past, which seems plausible.

Not pollen, I am pretty sure it is beeswax particles, based on the way honey residue has been reported to leave hair, stiff and dry the way beeswax has been reported to leave it, and based on researching how honey is processed, with filters to remove honeycomb wax. Some filters are better than others.

autumnsdaughter
February 26th, 2012, 04:10 PM
I did a SMT last night with vo5 vanilla mint, Fruit of the earth aloe, and generic clover honey. On my roots and scalp, I put castor oil and amla oil. I left it in for several hours, bunned and under a shower cap. I washed it out and slept on it. Today, my hair is *gleaming*. It is so soft and shiny, smells amazing. The SMT helps to get the castor oil out, and my hair is moisturized but not greasy. It is also extra wavy. Did I mention how SOFT it is? SOOOO SOFFFT.:crush:

Lipbalmbabe
February 26th, 2012, 09:08 PM
I can't believe I haven't done this yet!

Katze
February 27th, 2012, 01:23 AM
Regular SMTs are making my hair look like other peoples' hair - it hangs down instead of sticking out, the ends have weight and do not wisp, and there is a shine to my hair.

I have been doing SMTs with every wash for about three weeks now, and am loving the results! I use a concentrated aloe product (Spinnrad), natural moisturizing conditioner, and whatever cheap or weird-tasting honey DH happens to have bought. The results don't seem to vary too much depending on the ingredients, but more on how I wash beforehand.

The SMTs with every wash was a tip I got years ago here, and it really worked then, and it is really working now. Cheers to whoever came up with the idea - it is the only thing that makes my hair presentable!

renee2day
March 3rd, 2012, 12:05 PM
SMT is something I'm doing at least once a week now.
I oil my hair with coconut the night before and apply smt in the morning to dry hair covered in a plastic grocery bag and then a bath towel wrapped over that to keep the heat in and to catch the drippies that I believe happen because of the honey. I then do some morning chores for a half hour or so and then hop in the shower.
Honey will pull moisture out of the conditioner and aloe. I noticed this when I tried putting my ingredients together the night before. I put the aloe, condtioner and honey in a bowl but planned to mix it the next morning. Where the honey contacted the other ingredients there was water. So drippies are just what happens when you use honey.
I find that my hair doesn't like the aloe. I used Fruit of the Earth clear aloe. It just makes my hair feel coated. I save it for use as a gel on days when im slicking my hair back.
So I tried substituting baby food bananas. :disco::disco::disco:
Love the results.
I have recently have added castor oil to my roots when I do my night before oiling. If I'm not feeling its coming out in the shower I have ended up doing a cwc. But it seems to depends on which condtioner I use in the smt.

I recently started to use my blow dryer to heat up the mix after I put the plastic bag on.
I would do smt every time I wash but I do get mornings that I hoped I could get away with not washing but after messin with the greasy roots for 5 or so minutes give up and slap conditioner on and go with my bath routine. Sometimes I can stretch out the washes to a planned smt and sometimes not

Thank you Snowy and every one who contributes to LHC I'm so grateful to find this community.:blossom::blossom::blossom:

malwes
March 13th, 2012, 12:11 PM
(almost impossible to get aloe gel in Poland)

Hi, check in Altana-Pharma (used to see clear aloe vera gel there!)

SC
March 14th, 2012, 10:14 AM
I tried SMT yesterday with XZ conditioner (no cones), dark honey, aloe vera gel and a little bit of glycerine. I kept it on under a shower cap for an hour and it was very moisturizing! My hair was a little bit tangled after it dried, but it was still very good. I'd do this soon again, but I think that my hair needs a little bit more reconstructing than moisturizing right now.

MinderMutsig
March 14th, 2012, 10:24 AM
I did an SMT yesterday as a post-trim treatment for my fresh new ends. I don't know why I haven't done one in so long because I know my hair loves it.

I use Garnier Triple Nutrition, honey, FOTE aloe and a couple of drops of coconut oil. Then I put on a shower cap and my heater cap for about 15 minutes.

BBdck1
March 17th, 2012, 04:33 AM
I did my first SMT today and I'm not sure how I feel about the result. My hair feel 'hard' but smooth if that makes any sense. There was very little frizz (my hair gets frizzy after wash).

For conditioner, I mix Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Hair with TRESemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner (Aloe Vera and Avocado). I also clarified before doing SMT. With all the conditioning I thought my hair will be softer. Both conditioners by themselves soften my hair so maybe it's the aloe vera and honey?

wallflower12789
March 20th, 2012, 09:39 PM
I just did my first SMT last night after my first cassia treatment two nights ago. I used 4 Tbs Suave Ocean Breeze and 1 Tbs each raw honey and LotD aloe vera for my thick BSL hair. Warmed in a bowl in a pot of simmering water (no microwave) until the honey de-crystallized and everything was thoroughly mixed. Sat w/plastic bag and towel for an hour, then rinsed.

My hair is much softer than usual and the squeaky-clean feeling from the cassia is gone, but it's still much more tangle-prone at the ends than I'm used to. This is after I oiled w/2x my usual amount of jojoba oil(2x 2 drops) after it dried. I think the cassia's to blame for that, though.

The scent of the conditioner seemed really strong even after my hair dried, but that could be because I haven't used artificially scented stuff in a long time. Thanks for all the advice from people who posted!

curlsgalore
March 20th, 2012, 09:44 PM
I haven't done this in ages!! Hmmm, maybe I need to revisit....:)

sunny_rae2
March 21st, 2012, 09:01 AM
I did my first SMT last night, and tried it as an overnight treatment.
I used Vo5 SKR and Lily of the Desert Aloe gel along with organic honey.
The problem is, my hair ended up sopping between my pre-treatment rinse and the SMT itself. I wasn't comfortable with a plastic bag over my head so I took it off.
Over night, the SMT dried in my hair. It seemed to rinse out alright this morning, but my hair's not dry yet and I'm not sure if it'll be sticky or greasy once it is.
Does letting it dry (not keeping it wet under plastic) hamper the moisturizing effects? Should I have COed to make sure it was all gone?

malwes
March 21st, 2012, 03:12 PM
Did my SMT for the second time yesterday. I used my favourite Timotei henna condhish, heated the honey in a waterbath (I do not own a microwave, as it hasn't been too long since I have my own place) and added aloe juice (almost impossible to get aloe gel in Poland)

And so: my hair is shining like mad and looks really nice, though my little splits are showing a bit more than usually.. time for an s&d!

I tried to check Altana-Farma or Super-Pharm stores, there is plenty of aloe vera juices but not gel, and they have some preservatives inside. Not much, but still. There are a few brands of pure (100% organic) aloe vera gels on Allegro but the price...over 40PLN (i.e. over 10 EUR) for 250g...ugh....

Silverbrumby
March 29th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Gak! I used Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera and got the worst white flakes!!!! I wish I had read the list at the beginning of this thread before apply lol.

xsweetpotatox
March 30th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Ohh, I haven't done one of these in so long. I need to get on this again!

Silverbrumby
March 31st, 2012, 09:50 AM
My hair loves this.

Cowgirl16
April 2nd, 2012, 07:34 PM
I have been neglecting this treatment lately.
Last night I washed my hair and then whipped up a batch of this using Suave Coconut, Garnier Fructis 3-minute undo, and honey. I heated it for 30 seconds and then added just a bit of sweet almond oil (no Aloe). I let it sit on my head for about 2 hours covered in plastic and a knit cap. My hair was SUPER soft this morning!

Lissandria
May 4th, 2012, 09:02 PM
I am currently doing an SMT with Golden Syrup in lieu of honey. Even though I always nuke the honey in my SMTs for 30 seconds I seem to be getting lighter ends and midlengths. It makes my colour very natural looking, but I really don't it want to be causing peroxide damage- especially while trying to do something nice for my hair. The golden syrup gives a yellower mix and very slightly different consistency. The goop is on my hair right now, hopefully with good results :)

cmg
May 5th, 2012, 06:05 AM
Even though I always nuke the honey in my SMTs for 30 seconds I seem to be getting lighter ends and midlengths.

Hi Lissandria!

I don´t think this is from the honey since youve been careful with that. You have listed F hair and everyday wear and tare can come out like this on fine hair. Perhaps you need some different way to take care of your hair to protect it, or even cut off the worst parts. Perhaps you could try adding protein to fill in the gaps on the weatered parts of the hair.

/CMG

afu
May 5th, 2012, 06:33 AM
can i ask what experiences people have had from..
1) leaving out the honey - just conditioner and AV
2) Shorter leave in times - my hair seems to react badly to long treatments (>15mins)

afu
May 5th, 2012, 06:33 AM
can i ask what experiences people have had from..
1) leaving out the honey - just conditioner and AV
2) Shorter leave in times - my hair seems to react badly to long treatments (>15mins)

Lissandria
May 6th, 2012, 05:37 AM
Weird double post

Lissandria
May 6th, 2012, 05:40 AM
Hi Lissandria!

I don´t think this is from the honey since youve been careful with that. You have listed F hair and everyday wear and tare can come out like this on fine hair. Perhaps you need some different way to take care of your hair to protect it, or even cut off the worst parts. Perhaps you could try adding protein to fill in the gaps on the weatered parts of the hair.

/CMG

Hmm you may be onto something, perhaps. It is the first time in 10 years I haven't used chemical dye to dye it darker. When using chemical dye- because it doesnt blend like indigo and henna you use it all over your hair and your ends become the darkest. This doesn't happen with henndigo because I only touch up my roots. But now that you mention it, when I didn't dye my hair, my ends were very easily bleached by the harsh Australian sun and always so much lighter than my roots. That being said, while lighter the ends of my hair are soft and in very good condition- I haven't heat styled (except my fringe) for over one year. I wear my hair up mostly, too. So I don't need to cut it. :shrug: Im still not sure what it is, I guess time will tell, as I think I will be sticking to golden syrup for the time being, it worked wonderfully!!

ETA: Your input is appreciated, cmg. I do think you may be right. I just wanted to say thanks :flower:

UpNorth
May 7th, 2012, 12:29 AM
Do anyone know if Dermanord conditioner works for this? I just have a little left in the bottle so I don&#180;t really want to waste any.

Aqua Purificata, Simmondsia Chinensis (virgin jojoba oil), Butyrospermum Parkii (Sheabutter), Brassica napus (canola oil), Glycerine, Cetearyl Alcohol (from coconut), Cetearyl Glucoside (from coconuts and corn), Lactic Acid, Undecylenoyl glycin (from sunflower), Capryloyl glycin (from sunflower and coconut), Foeniculum Vulgare (Fennell), Rosmarinus Officinalis

afu
May 7th, 2012, 11:28 AM
tried this the other day but with just the aloe added to a cheap cone-free conditioner and only left on for 10mins (my hair explodes with frizz with any long treatments), worked wonderfully :D Aloe vera is my newly discovered wonder product!

Diamond.Eyes
May 7th, 2012, 12:17 PM
I actually had time to let an SMT soak into my hair today. I have a mixture of VO5 strawberries and cream condish, Fruit of the Earth aloe vera gel, organic agave nectar and a wee bit of olive oil sitting on my hair covered by a shower cap with a beanie over that. I plan to wash it out this evening. I think my hair will be happy. :p