PDA

View Full Version : The much-recommended SMT (Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11

Kittykins
May 7th, 2012, 08:26 PM
I'm vegan, what could I use instead of honey?

afu
May 8th, 2012, 02:10 AM
kittykins as far as i know you can substitute in mollasses or syrup, i just leave it out though

cmg
May 9th, 2012, 09:01 AM
can i ask what experiences people have had from..
1) leaving out the honey - just conditioner and AV
2) Shorter leave in times - my hair seems to react badly to long treatments (>15mins)
1. Alot of people tried that. You might find the answer to your question earlier in this thread (Yes I know, this is a looooong thread to search in). I think you should try it and see if your hair likes it. Try different Conditioners also, before you give final judgement. I have used agave sirup on occasion when I didnīt have any honey at home. This worked very nice for my hair.
2. Could you tell us a little more about this?

ETA: Your input is appreciated, cmg. I do think you may be right. I just wanted to say thanks
Youre welcome. Sometimes we just need to "think out loud". :)

Do anyone know if Dermanord conditioner works for this? I just have a little left in the bottle so I donīt really want to waste any.
I can understand that. I get 42 bottles of the condish from COOP-Xtra for that price (for CO-wash). I buy stuff like this too sometimes, just for the heavenly smell ;) It will work nicely, though it seems a little overkill. Go ahead and pamper yourself with it!

Among the things I probably wount buy again are the aloe vera gels from Foreverliving Scandinavia or LR-Health and Beauty. There is absolute nothing wrong with them, except for the price. They are excellent products, but totally overpriced. I have started to use COOPīs foot-gel instead. It works just fine and has no unneccessary ingredients in it. The Apothekets counterpart is OK too but has some extra stuff in it.

But sometimes I get sucked in by the commercials too, or a flashy package :D

/CMG

cmg
May 9th, 2012, 09:18 AM
@Diamond.Eyes:

100% natural ginger who doesn't use henna/dye and proud of itWOW! Awesome color!
I have to work hard to get something like that.

/CMG

afu
May 9th, 2012, 09:51 AM
1. Alot of people tried that. You might find the answer to your question earlier in this thread (Yes I know, this is a looooong thread to search in). I think you should try it and see if your hair likes it. Try different Conditioners also, before you give final judgement. I have used agave sirup on occasion when I didnīt have any honey at home. This worked very nice for my hair.
2. Could you tell us a little more about this?

Thanks for your reply :)

I tried it without honey just left on for 10 mins and it gave a lovely result, ive now just squeezed some into my normal CO wash condish (i just do a 1 stage normally) for a mini treatment each wash.

With the long treatments issue, normally if i leave a treament on wet hair for a long time before washing out I end up with a huge mane of frizz after washing, especially with a coconut oil pre-wash overnight soak. For some reason my hair just doesn't like long treatments, i can do a thorough CO with only leaving it about 1-2mins when others need way longer, and where others leave things overnight, my hair prefers no more than 10mins. I suppose I should be glad, much more convenient! It did take me a while to work out what was going wrong though

Kittykins
May 11th, 2012, 12:18 AM
It's in! I used Tresemme Naturals nourishing moisture conditioner, blackstrap molasses, a little vegetable glycerin and fresh aloe vera gel from my aloe plant. I will wash it out in 3-4 hours.

Laur
May 11th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Oh the wonders of SMT. I need to start doing this regularly again, my hair loves it! I'm pretty sure VO5 has stopped making Tangerine Tickle though, which is the conditioner I used to use. Hopefully Suave Pomegranate will work out well, that's been my substitute for CO washing.

Katze
May 12th, 2012, 09:16 AM
I've been SMTing pretting regularly the past couple of months. It seems to be really good for my hair, and I alternate with WO washes (3-4 WO washes, then shampoo and then SMT left in for an hour or so). My hair gets really shiny after the SMTs, though it is still a lot darker because of all this good care. :(

In my many years of having good results from SMT, I have never found that leaving it in for more than an hour makes any difference at all. However, I have mostly fine hair so that might make a difference...

It's also really good for scalp problems because of the honey (humectant and mildly antibacterial). Whenever my scalp is unhappy, an SMT fixes it. :9

Kittykins
May 13th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Just remembered I didn't report back. My hair seems to love SMT. Next time I may add a little coconut oil.

Lachrymosa
May 13th, 2012, 11:41 PM
Trying this for the first time tonight! I'm going to leave it in overnight and am a little nervous...my husband and I cosleep with my 1 year old daughter and I'm afraid she'll try pulling it all off my head in the middle of the night...she tends to wake often. My hair is pretty damaged and I'm looking to do all that I can to make it healthy again so I'm sure hoping it stays on all night and this will help!

Lachrymosa
May 14th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Well I rinsed it out first thing this morning...it's super soft and seems really moisturized...but it's SOOOOOO frizzy! :( I've never used honey in my hair before, can that be what did it?

afu
May 14th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Well I rinsed it out first thing this morning...it's super soft and seems really moisturized...but it's SOOOOOO frizzy! :( I've never used honey in my hair before, can that be what did it?

My hair also goes insanely frizzy if i do long treatments (especially bad with coconut oil). For me treatments work best if i leave them on no longer than 15 minutes, maybe next time from a shorter amount of time

Lachrymosa
May 14th, 2012, 05:52 PM
My hair also goes insanely frizzy if i do long treatments (especially bad with coconut oil). For me treatments work best if i leave them on no longer than 15 minutes, maybe next time from a shorter amount of time

I would have never thought that something could be left on too long...I guess maybe it's a matter of too much of a good thing lol? I'll try a half hour or so this weekend and see if that helps. Thanks!

afu
May 15th, 2012, 04:16 AM
i know its strange isn't it, i couldn't work out what was going wrong for ages. My hair is much happier now ive stopped leaving treatments on

shirohane
May 15th, 2012, 09:38 AM
I'm kind of lazy so I'll just ask instead of looking through the thread... :o (Sorry, don't kill me! shudder:)

Anyone got good results with SMT without aloe vera? (CO + honey)

ETA: The answer is yes. For others looking for this a number of members got good results with this. (Old thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=41182)

CocoBean
May 19th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Well, I did my first SMT last night.
I used Aloe Vera Gel with chamomile and comfrey from the health food store, organic honey, and some old conditioner that was a combination of old bottles that I put into one. Most of it's from the health food store, and had tea tree oil in it.
We don't use a microwave, so I heated the 1 tbsp of honey in a small pyrex glass in a pan of water until hot. Then added 1 tbsp of AVG, and 4 tbsps of the conditioner. Mixed it up and didn't have the white flakes issues others have experienced. After a poo wash with TJ's Spa shampoo, and light rinse with their Spa conditioner, I blotted my hair dry, and poured on the SMT, wrapped my head up in shower cap and terry turbin for an hour. Watched Mythbusters, and then back into the shower to rinse it out.
My hair likes baby oil, so I put a little of that on, and then bun it up for the night. It's too thick to dry overnight, so I braid it for work. The pic in my sig file was taken the next day.
I think my hair really responded to the SMT, and will definitely do it again. Not sure if 1 hour is really necessary, but my dry damaged hair definitely soaked up the moisture!! Love the results!:cheese:

daffodil7
May 21st, 2012, 10:32 AM
Guys, please be careful with Fruit of the Earth (FOTE) Aloe Vera Gel!

When I was pregnant, I was avoiding many chemicals that were listed as dangerous to the fetus for various reasons. Well, one of them was Triethanolamine or TEA. Well, since I've had my child, I still avoid the same ingredients when I see them listed in our products after learning what they can potentially do, and TEA is just like unforgettable because it is in so much stuff. Like you see it in so many things. Mostly I see it listed as Triethanolamine though.

Anyway, I was thinking that it's probably better to use some sort of organic Aloe Vera treatment instead of FOTE for the SnowyMountainTreatment. Even though you are rinsing the Triethanolamine or TEA off of your hair, instead of letting it sit on your skin, neck and scalp, you are still not washing it off, and according to several things I have read, it could potentially be dangerous after long term exposure. This brief article seems to gather up the jist of what I've read several places: http://www.eco-friendly-digest.com/triethanolamine.html

I wish I could use the FOTE or they would change the ingredients or something because of the price and the volume I could get and the consistency. All of the organic Aloe is watery and stuff, but I'm going to have to use that to finally try this treatment out as my DC for moisture after my protein. The Triethanolamine is why I have avoided this conditioner for so long. Hopefully the organic aloe will work just as well.

Let me know if you have tried this with organic aloe and how the results were.

julierockhead
May 21st, 2012, 08:31 PM
Chemicals I can't pronounce or understand fully without the help of a chemist are not my favorite things, so I try to keep it simple and organic and stuff, but I also try not to get too paranoid. Here is another article on TEA that may be a little more balanced, although when pregnant I think avoiding every risk you can is a very good instinct.

http://personalcaretruth.com/2011/06/a-closer-look-at-triethanolamine-tea/

lilliemer
May 28th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Trying this for the first time today. Used Tresemme naturals aloe and avocado conditioner with grocery store clover honey and Lily of the Desert aloe gel in the originally recommended proportion 4:1:1. I microwaved the honey for 15s, added the aloe, microwaved again for 10s, then added the conditioner to the warm honey/aloe mixture. I had a total of 6 tbsp of mix and was surprised how much of it made it into my hair (about 2/3 of it). It is incubating now, I'm hanging out in the heat and humidity with a plastic bag on my head...Yummy. I hope this gets out the last of my issues with sunflower oil --> buildup --> overaggressive clarifying --> dry ends (fingers crossed).

lilliemer
May 29th, 2012, 08:04 AM
SMT definitely made a difference. I did use coconut oil after my hair had dried to smooth it out a bit. Is there any reason to think that adding the coconut oil to the SMT would impair it from penetrating the hair at all?

My super dry hair then soaked up all the coconut oil. I'm starting to think that I just have a huge moisture deficit...Will it ever catch up?

MintChocChip
May 29th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Thanks for this recipe. :) I'm going to be trying this at the weekend I think! I did a protein treatment (with coconut milk) and although it made my hair feel nice, the ends now look a little dry. I definately need a bit of a moisture kick!

NaturalVegan
May 29th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Avocado!

Has anyone tried an SMT using just mashed avocado as the conditioner?

(So avocado + honey + aloe.)

Sorry if this has already been discussed... I don't feel like reading through over 100 pages to check!

kidari
May 29th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Anyone notice that SMTs intensify the scent of the conditioner you use and it makes it linger for a longer time in your hair? Ever since I've been trying different conditioners I finally noticed this!

julierockhead
May 29th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Avocado!

Has anyone tried an SMT using just mashed avocado as the conditioner?

(So avocado + honey + aloe.)

Sorry if this has already been discussed... I don't feel like reading through over 100 pages to check!

Hmm, not a bad idea.

Vlientje
May 30th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Trying SMT right now! Got it in for 10minutes now, gonna keep it in for a little over an hour! *oh so curious*

Wildcat Diva
May 30th, 2012, 08:56 AM
I tried SMT, I loved it! I found that if I don't mix the hot honey too quickly with the conditioner, (let it cool off a bit first), I avoid the curdled clumps that I got the first time I tried it. But sometimes my honey gets too hot and turns too thick (I'm trying to kill the peroxide). So I'm still struggling with that.

Vlientje
May 31st, 2012, 09:21 AM
How often do you girls repeat this? I have no idea, should I think weekly or monthly?

Hollyfire3
May 31st, 2012, 10:05 AM
How often do you girls repeat this? I have no idea, should I think weekly or monthly?

I think it really depends on your hair, if you need the moisture, use weekly, it you are just doing upkeep, maybe monthly, just see how your hair reacts.

julierockhead
May 31st, 2012, 02:45 PM

I get great results with smt's so I do them as often as I can, overnight. It is possible to over moisturize your hair but so far I haven't.

Has any one ever added an egg yolk in place of part of the conditioner?

afu
June 1st, 2012, 05:37 AM
I add a big squirt of aloe vera gel to my normal conditioner bottle, so really im doing a mini SMT every time I wash - Id say just see how your hair reacts and go along with it. If your hair dries out very easily SMT more often

julierockhead
June 1st, 2012, 06:03 AM
I wish Snowymoon was still around. I would like to thank her.

MintChocChip
June 2nd, 2012, 05:17 AM
I've just rinsed my first ever SMT out of my hair (after leaving it an for an hour exactly :D). Wow, my hair has never felt so good. It's still wet at the moment, but if it looks as good as it feels when it dries it should look pretty good! :)

Wildcat Diva
June 2nd, 2012, 05:55 AM
I have purchased Aloe Vera Juice to use also instead of the gel and it worked fine. I think doing this weekly as long as my hair continued to like it would be a good idea. I am thinking that build up might be an issue if I did it like 3 times/ week or something. But I can't see doing it that often for pure time constraints.

Anapeli
June 2nd, 2012, 05:21 PM
Thank you do much for your thread! I tried a similar concoction: conditioner, honey, coconut oil and EVOO. I put it on my dry hair which is super duper over processed. Put a shower cap on and three hours later, Voila! My hair is so soft and pretty! I washed it off with a sulfate frees shampoo and then conditioned a little. It's great! Will be doing this again very soon!

Long_hair_bear
June 7th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Ok, question. I use cones so do I need to clarify before doing this? If so, that may be problematic because I usually do a protein treatment after I clarify. Can I mix babyface pure protein into the mix or is tat a bad idea?

julierockhead
June 7th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Protein in SMT is generally a no-no, see the first post in this thread. That said, experiment if you want, you never know! SMT exists because of experimentation.

Long_hair_bear
June 7th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Protein in SMT is generally a no-no, see the first post in this thread. That said, experiment if you want, you never know! SMT exists because of experimentation.

Oh,I dont want to experiment with my hair. Last time I did, I lost some. :( maybe I should alternate smt and protein treatments, doing one every other month.

Kittykins
June 7th, 2012, 11:49 PM
Anyone notice that SMTs intensify the scent of the conditioner you use and it makes it linger for a longer time in your hair? Ever since I've been trying different conditioners I finally noticed this!

I've noticed this. I adore the smell of my conditioner, so this is yet another bonus of SMT. :D

Long_hair_bear
June 8th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Has anyone noticed lightening due to the honey? I don't wanna lighten my hair.

GRU
June 8th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Just nuke/heat the honey really well first -- then it won't lighten at all b/c you've killed the peroxide-causing agents.

Long_hair_bear
June 8th, 2012, 07:55 AM
Thanks GRU..... I've never done an smt before and am kinda nervous. Still don't know how I'll fit it in with my protein treatment either.

GRU
June 8th, 2012, 08:06 AM
My hair LOVES the SMT, and I'm horrendously overdue for one myself right now. Not sure when I'll find the time, but I did manage to buy more honey at the store this week!

Wildcat Diva
June 9th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Don't be nervous, long hair bear, it's really a benign treatment, not much of a risk at all. No lightening here due to the honey.

Here's a tip. Heat the honey first maybe at least 30 seconds, then add the aloe gel, stir and heat again like maybe 20 seconds more, then I let it cool a few minutes before adding the condish. This way it won't be as likely to curdle the condish, which happened to me the first time and I got curds. Epic fail!

I have one in my hair right now with a plastic disposable shower cap and heating cap. I mixed the SMT in the VO5 bottle, and added it to my hair dry, and just dribbeled on a little water from a sports bottle for moisture. It was more liquid-like because I use aloe juice instead of gel.

My hair loves the SMT, my hair is extremely soft and shiny and silky. I have done one every week recently, even using as kind of as a CO wash. I am wondering about build up, but I plan to clarify with baking soda/ water once each month to take care of that.

Hope this helps anyone looking to take the plunge.

Long_hair_bear
June 10th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Don't be nervous, long hair bear, it's really a benign treatment, not much of a risk at all. No lightening here due to the honey.

Here's a tip. Heat the honey first maybe at least 30 seconds, then add the aloe gel, stir and heat again like maybe 20 seconds more, then I let it cool a few minutes before adding the condish. This way it won't be as likely to curdle the condish, which happened to me the first time and I got curds. Epic fail!

I have one in my hair right now with a plastic disposable shower cap and heating cap. I mixed the SMT in the VO5 bottle, and added it to my hair dry, and just dribbeled on a little water from a sports bottle for moisture. It was more liquid-like because I use aloe juice instead of gel.

My hair loves the SMT, my hair is extremely soft and shiny and silky. I have done one every week recently, even using as kind of as a CO wash. I am wondering about build up, but I plan to clarify with baking soda/ water once each month to take care of that.

Thanks for the tips! I'm gonna give it a try next Thursday after my monthly clarify! :D

afu
June 10th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Does anyone here pre-mix their SMT? I have a tub of deep conditioner to which I added some peppermint EO (because the conditioner smelled horrid!), aloe vera gel and honey and I just keep it in the bathroom. I use it on my lengths everytime I wash as part of my CO routine - 'wash' with cheap, thin conditioner then add my SMT premix to the lengths for a few minutes. If I do a very heavy oiling I will apply the SMT over the oil on dry hair to rinse it out.

cmg
June 10th, 2012, 10:29 AM
I dont premix my SMT, but I suppose thats OK because of the preservatives in fex the Aloe Vera gel and the condish will keep it ok for some time.

I think what curdles the SMT is acidic pH-values of the condish (this varies!) or other things you mix. Also the hair sebum and scalp keeps the surface at a pH level between 4 and 6. Depending on this you may experience curdling or not.

/ CMG

Wildcat Diva
June 10th, 2012, 05:00 PM
I don't premix mine. I got curds the first time right away the first time I did it, but I use the same exact ingredients now with no curds. I know I over heated it the first time and I suspect I cooked the VO5 SKR. Maybe others have had different results?

Long_hair_bear
June 12th, 2012, 09:52 AM
I think I need one of these for my smt! http://www.etsy.com/listing/47355444/thermal-conditioning-heat-cap-black-and

Too bad moneys tight at present!

Long_hair_bear
June 12th, 2012, 11:00 AM

Ok question.... If I'm only using 1/16th of a cupof honey, do I still microwave it that long?

Katze
June 12th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Does anyone here pre-mix their SMT? I have a tub of deep conditioner to which I added some peppermint EO (because the conditioner smelled horrid!), aloe vera gel and honey and I just keep it in the bathroom. I use it on my lengths everytime I wash as part of my CO routine - 'wash' with cheap, thin conditioner then add my SMT premix to the lengths for a few minutes. If I do a very heavy oiling I will apply the SMT over the oil on dry hair to rinse it out.

Yes, I keep mine in an old conditioner bottle in the bathroom. It fits about three doses of SMT for my almost-BSL hair, and makes it much easier to remember to use regularly (ha!). I neither microwave, nor do anything else special with my SMTs, and I don't usually get curds either, but if I do, so what, they rinse out! :D

It's time for another SMT this week, I'm thinking...my hair and scalp love them!

afu
June 12th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Yes, I keep mine in an old conditioner bottle in the bathroom. It fits about three doses of SMT for my almost-BSL hair, and makes it much easier to remember to use regularly (ha!). I neither microwave, nor do anything else special with my SMTs, and I don't usually get curds either, but if I do, so what, they rinse out! :D

It's time for another SMT this week, I'm thinking...my hair and scalp love them!

I don't heat mine either, im not worried about lightening and havn't had curdling problems either. I apply my SMT to my lenghts everytime I wash; CO with cheap conditioner followed by SMT on lengths

Growin'ItOut
June 12th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Thank you so much for re-posting this. My hair grew more because of this and my hair feels so soft!:cheese: I added a teaspoon of extra virgin coconut oil for extra softness. Thank you so much SnowyMoon!:joy:

Long_hair_bear
June 12th, 2012, 05:38 PM
I found the condish I'm going to do this with next week!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/78550597/goats-milk-conditioner-8-oz-custom-scent

battles
June 12th, 2012, 05:42 PM
I think I need one of these for my smt! http://www.etsy.com/listing/47355444/thermal-conditioning-heat-cap-black-and

Too bad moneys tight at present!

A quick option for now, I usually use a shower cap and then put a towel on top of my head. It keeps in a little extra heat and definitely helps. :)

dollyfish
June 12th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Just applied my first ever SMT as an emergency destressing attempt!
...it's working :wigtongue

Though I don't have any aloe gel at the moment, so I substituted EVOO (using less of it than I would have aloe). I'm sure my hair will be soft regardless.

Long_hair_bear
June 13th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Bought my aloe Vera gel today.... Will be trying it next Thursday after my clarify! :) will report back with results!

dollyfish
June 15th, 2012, 08:05 AM
So, I'm SO PLEASED I can barely contain myself :cheese:

Did an SMT as my first ever deep treatment a few days ago. I didn't have aloe gel so I used olive oil instead, which meant I had to lightly shampoo (and then ACV) to de-grease...but my hair is now soft and silky, COMPLETELY TANGLE FREE (I can comb it from top to bottom no problem) and so perfect I just want to shout from the roof tops. As someone with usually ultra-dry super tangle prone hair this is a miracle. I would post a picture but that doesn't do my hair justice. It's almost as if my M/C hair has been brought down to F. AMAZING.

I'll be doing these often!

Now I just need to run buy more conditioner and get some aloe gel to try out the "proper" SMT method ;)

henné
June 19th, 2012, 09:00 AM
I just got a hold of some pure aloe vera gel (thanks PolarCathy!) so I will be doing the SMT either tonight or tomorrow night. I can't wait. My hair is so so thirsty ... I just hope it will work with my WOing this week (not planning to shampoo until Saturday).

Yaaaay!

:joy:

afu
June 19th, 2012, 09:32 AM
when I first found this I used only conditioner and aloe vera as i didn't have any honey, and it worked really well. When I restocked on honey I tried the proper version and it was a disaster - my hair appears to hate honey and my ends just turned like a wire brush :(

So today I did another modified version - conditioner, aloe vera gel and sweet almond oil. I heated it a bit too much (my mothers microwave must be a lot more powerful than mine!) and it turned to a very watery consistancy. After leaving to cool it did thicken up however. Applied the mixture to dry, 3 day old hair and left on for 2hrs (bunned, no cap). Rinsed out just with water and my hair feels the softest ever and no detangling required :D My hair is still damp so I'm hoping that it will be just as lovely when dry...

MintChocChip
June 19th, 2012, 10:14 AM
when I first found this I used only conditioner and aloe vera as i didn't have any honey, and it worked really well. When I restocked on honey I tried the proper version and it was a disaster - my hair appears to hate honey and my ends just turned like a wire brush :(

So today I did another modified version - conditioner, aloe vera gel and sweet almond oil. I heated it a bit too much (my mothers microwave must be a lot more powerful than mine!) and it turned to a very watery consistancy. After leaving to cool it did thicken up however. Applied the mixture to dry, 3 day old hair and left on for 2hrs (bunned, no cap). Rinsed out just with water and my hair feels the softest ever and no detangling required :D My hair is still damp so I'm hoping that it will be just as lovely when dry...

Oooh, that's a good idea, I might try this! I love sweet almond oil.

henné
June 19th, 2012, 03:27 PM
I'm sitting around with the SMT on my head. I made way too much of it, so I think I have enough for another go.

I used a bit more honey than I should have and not as much aloe as I don't have that much to waste. I don't want to leave it on for longer than one hour. I can't wait to wash it out and see how it looks. I used my 'cleansing' lightweight conditioner that doesn't even have any smell to it ... it's formulated for sensitive/allergic folks - cone, paraben, you name it -free. I hope it will work ok. I have another conditioner that I use on my ends only, but because this treatment is supposed to go also on the scalp, I decided not to use that one ... I will put it in my hair after I WO.

Hoping for great result! Some of the negative SMT stories scared me a little ... :couch:

Rumpel
June 21st, 2012, 10:41 AM
I did my first ever SMT last night. My hair adores it! I didn't have pure aloe, so I went all ninja risk-taker and used the Ocean Potion Blue ICE gel with tea tree oil. I used Great Value Honey and Suave Green Apple conditioner, too, as well as a fingernail-sized bit of coconut oil. I nuked it for 20 seconds, stirred it up, and had no lumps at all. It went on my damp, freshly-washed hair really easily. It was super drippy, but I fixed that by using a shower cap, a heat cap, and a towel turban to keep that stuff contained! It rinsed out like a dream after being on for a couple of hours. This morning, my hair was soft, smooth, and tangle-and-frizz-free. As a bonus, it also smells like the most delicious combination of apples and honey :D I will be doing these weekly.

jeanniet
June 21st, 2012, 11:48 AM
Ok question.... If I'm only using 1/16th of a cupof honey, do I still microwave it that long?
I use a tablespoon of honey and microwave it for 30 seconds (my microwave is 1200 watts). But don't do it any longer than that--this last time I forgot and did it for a minute, and it burned/carmelized. It was good honey, too!

Wildcat Diva
June 21st, 2012, 11:56 AM
I use a tablespoon of honey and microwave it for 30 seconds (my microwave is 1200 watts). But don't do it any longer than that--this last time I forgot and did it for a minute, and it burned/carmelized. It was good honey, too!

I mircrowave it for 30 seconds, let it sit in there hot for a little bit, then I add aloe vera juice, and microwave for like 30 seconds more. Then I add conditioner. I tend to use more honey and aloe than the OP recipe, and about the same amount of conditioner. I add glycerin too!

Long_hair_bear
June 21st, 2012, 07:18 PM
Got it in my hair now! I'll post results tomorrow!

Long_hair_bear
June 21st, 2012, 07:39 PM
For those who premix their smt: how long does it stay good for? I accidentally made too much but don't want to throw the valuable stuff out. :D

afu
June 22nd, 2012, 04:42 AM
For those who premix their smt: how long does it stay good for? I accidentally made too much but don't want to throw the valuable stuff out. :D

Did you already heat the whole lot up? If it is still raw it should last quite a while, im not sure with a 'cooked' SMT though

Long_hair_bear
June 22nd, 2012, 06:07 AM
Did you already heat the whole lot up? If it is still raw it should last quite a while, im not sure with a 'cooked' SMT though

Not the condish, no, but the honey and aloe yes.

BrightEyes
June 22nd, 2012, 09:32 AM
I haven't done an SMT for a long time, so I thought I'd do one today. I've read here that some people put a little oil in the mix, so I added a little coconut oil. After the fact, I worried that might not have been a good idea because coconut oil usually makes my hair look greasy. But I only put in a tiny bit. So now I've got it on my head under a cap and towel. I'll see how it turns out in an hour or so.

Long_hair_bear
June 22nd, 2012, 10:08 AM
My hair seems to really like it! Very soft and shiny!

cmg
June 22nd, 2012, 05:40 PM
I think if the condish contains preservatives and the aloe gel also, it should be fine kept in the fridge for quite some time. :confused: I would use my nose in case of doubt.

/ CMG

firevegan
June 26th, 2012, 10:59 PM
I went to the store to get some cayanne pepper today and saw some fruit of the earth aloe vera gel. It made me think of the SMT treatment so I picked some up, and forgot the rest of the ingredients. Do I absolutely need honey? I try not to use it because I'm vegan.

BlueMuse
June 26th, 2012, 11:05 PM
I've heard others say they've left it out or used molasses. I do a molasses treatment sometimes and it is very moisturizing, so I think it could be a fair substitute.

firevegan
June 26th, 2012, 11:17 PM
BlueMuse, I know this has nothing to do with the SMT, or molasses, but.. I think we have a similar hair length and I was wondering if my hair type is actually 1a/1b, cause yours looks kind of like mine, and you're 1a. Can you tell from my pic?

Wildcat Diva
June 26th, 2012, 11:33 PM
I went to the store to get some cayanne pepper today and saw some fruit of the earth aloe vera gel. It made me think of the SMT treatment so I picked some up, and forgot the rest of the ingredients. Do I absolutely need honey? I try not to use it because I'm vegan.

I myself always add the honey. But you know what else I add that you might try: Vegetable glycerin.

You can use molasses too as some folks do instead of honey.

Kittykins
June 26th, 2012, 11:39 PM
I'm also vegan and use molasses instead with great results.

blond_betty
June 26th, 2012, 11:46 PM
Thank you so much for posting this, and Snowymoon for coming up with it! I have a feeling my hair is going to LOVE this! I also love that you can get some of those conditioners for very cheap too. DH will love that, too. Ha ha.

afu
June 27th, 2012, 05:48 AM

I leave the honey out because my hair doesn't like it, I either just leave it out without a replacement or i add a bit of oil (usually sweet almond)

kitekats
June 27th, 2012, 06:39 AM
uh... little off-topic here, but microwave is a very wicked thing, there were several experiments, one particular, where after a few days of consuming food heated in microwave, it caused changes in ones blood, showed, that it may cause gene altering and led to conclusion, that it is very harmful to human body, especially in long term, the professor, who discovered it, was fired after publishing the results of this experiment and was sued by powerful trade organization, but years later he won in the trial.
The Soviets even issued an international warning on the health hazards, both biological and environmental, of microwave ovens and similar frequency electronic devices, while in America, neither universities nor the federal government have conducted any tests concerning the effects on human bodies from eating microwaved foods. Isn't that a bit strange? They're more concerned with studies on what happens if the door on a microwave oven doesn't close properly.
And- I will try the recipe- I have a huge aloe at home ;)

Long_hair_bear
June 27th, 2012, 06:46 AM
uh... little off-topic here, but microwave is a very wicked thing, there were several experiments, one particular, where after a few days of consuming food heated in microwave, it caused changes in ones blood, showed, that it may cause gene altering and led to conclusion, that it is very harmful to human body, especially in long term, the professor, who discovered it, was fired after publishing the results of this experiment and was sued by powerful trade organization, but years later he won in the trial.
The Soviets even issued an international warning on the health hazards, both biological and environmental, of microwave ovens and similar frequency electronic devices, while in America, neither universities nor the federal government have conducted any tests concerning the effects on human bodies from eating microwaved foods. Isn't that a bit strange? They're more concerned with studies on what happens if the door on a microwave oven doesn't close properly.
And- I will try the recipe- I have a huge aloe at home ;)

Guess its good we aren't ingesting it then! :D

kitekats
June 27th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Honey, especially eco-ish and natural is the best thing you can lay your hands on, we are getting our honey from some beekeepers at countryside, but you can probably get some at farmer summer markets in your country, buying honey jars from supermarket isn't the best idea, especially if you don't know what are they putting in them besides the real honey ;)

kitekats
June 27th, 2012, 06:49 AM
But it's getting absorbed in blood stream...

Long_hair_bear
June 27th, 2012, 07:05 AM
But it's getting absorbed in blood stream...

I don't think much gets absorbed through your scalp into your blood stream. I was watching a news clip on people putting monistat on their scalps for hair growth and the doctor on there said it wasn't harmful because not much was absorbed through the scalp. Same goes for hair dye. Glad that's not absorbed! :)

PolarCathy
June 27th, 2012, 07:07 AM
I don't think much gets absorbed through your scalp into your blood stream. I was watching a news clip on people putting monistat on their scalps for hair growth and the doctor on there said it wasn't harmful because not much was absorbed through the scalp. Same goes for hair dye. Glad that's not absorbed! :)

All I can say to that is that once I used caffeine powder in some liquid on my head and you just don't want to know the rest of that story. Just be careful with everything you put on your scalps guys. SMT I wouldn't fear tho'.

Long_hair_bear
June 27th, 2012, 07:24 AM
If hair dye were absorbable, a lot of us would be dead. Heck, I used to bleach my hair down to the roots, I'd definitely be dead! :)

kitekats
June 27th, 2012, 08:01 AM
After dying my hair the first time with chem dye it really gave me a headache, so at least somehow those chemicals and other crappy things does influence ones health

PolarCathy
June 27th, 2012, 08:02 AM
If hair dye were absorbable, a lot of us would be dead. Heck, I used to bleach my hair down to the roots, I'd definitely be dead! :)

Apparently hair dye is safer than caffeine powder then ;)

cmg
June 27th, 2012, 02:09 PM
You cant say that B doesnt absorb, just because A doesnt. It totally depends on what it is. The scalp area has chemical and mechanical protection barrriers in the form of skin and sebum, but there still are lots of substances that can enter the body this way.

I am vegan also, but I still use honey. Isnt the honey itself plant-based? ;) (My excuse, because my hair loves it) I have beekepers living around me so I can gett really fresh stuff. Anyhow, I have used agave sirup many times too, and it is great! I can really recommend you try it.

/ CMG

griffinthecat
July 2nd, 2012, 01:33 PM
I just did this for the first time and it worked wonders!

I used:
Equal parts olive oil, coconut oil, and walnut oil, honey (microwaved so it wouldn't color my hair)
Then I mixed in banana puree (yay, baby food!) and a ton of conditioner.

Then I let it sit for 90 minutes and washed it. Such soft and shiny hair. Going to have to make this a regular thing!

Vanilla
July 3rd, 2012, 08:51 PM
Wildcat Diva's suggestion of using vegetable glycerin in with the SMT makes me finally love the SMT. I used to hate it because somehow the combo of honey and aloe made my ends super crunchy.

I use about 1/2 of vegetable glycerin to the honey, and substitute coconut milk for the conditioner. A little drippy, but it works really well on my hair. I also oil my hair prior to putting the SMT.

Wildcat Diva
July 3rd, 2012, 09:09 PM
Wildcat Diva's suggestion of using vegetable glycerin in with the SMT makes me finally love the SMT. I used to hate it because somehow the combo of honey and aloe made my ends super crunchy.

I use about 1/2 of vegetable glycerin to the honey, and substitute coconut milk for the conditioner. A little drippy, but it works really well on my hair. I also oil my hair prior to putting the SMT.

Thanks 'Nilla! I'm glad that that worked out for you. It's not my creation, I heard that on here somewhere, can't remember where.

Vanilla
July 3rd, 2012, 09:10 PM
Thanks 'Nilla! I'm glad that that worked out for you. It's not my creation, I heard that on here somewhere, can't remember where.

:). Thanks, I'm so glad I tried it :)

AstroGoob
July 5th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Not that the SMT needs any more praise, but I tried it two days ago for the first time with great success! I was definitely suffering from protein overload, crunchy ends and all! Even though I was a little scared to put honey (honey, really?!) in my hair, now I'm wishing I could do this with every wash.

I used the standard 4-1-1 ratio with Aussie 3MM, and I can't recall the last time my hair felt so nice. Also, I'm not sure if it's standard practice to clarify beforehand, but I suspect it had some hand in the success of the whole endeavor. Hooray for magic hair!

Wildcat Diva
July 14th, 2012, 05:15 PM
I tried mine tonight with the SMT as a kind of pre-treatment on dry hair tonight. No drips! It's on my hair now. I'll rinse and just do a scalp shampoo with a little more SMT left after the shampoo to finish it off. Kind of backwards, right? (But I won't shampoo the ends) Hair should be really moisturized, we will see.

Vanilla
July 14th, 2012, 05:40 PM
I tried mine tonight with the SMT as a kind of pre-treatment on dry hair tonight. No drips! It's on my hair now. I'll rinse and just do a scalp shampoo with a little more SMT left after the shampoo to finish it off. Kind of backwards, right? (But I won't shampoo the ends) Hair should be really moisturized, we will see.

Oooo this sounds good :). Can't wait to hear how it goes. The worst thing about SMT's is the drips.

Wildcat Diva
July 14th, 2012, 05:40 PM
I will let you know. I'm being lazy and it's still in my hair.

Wildcat Diva
July 14th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Here's an update about my SMT tonight which I APPLIED TO DRY HAIR as a PREWASH, and left on for a couple of hours before washing my scalp, and finished up with a diliuted SMT to finish. It's like CWC, I guess, which is not a new thing.

So:

It's almost completely dry after washing out the SMT, then using my shampoo bar on my scalp, dousing the ends with another really diluted SMT, rinsing, and doing a final citric acid rinse. Oh, and Nightblooming's Panacea when barely damp.

In the SMT itself, I went really heavy on the honey, aloe juice, and glycerin and less so on the conditioner. I don't seem to measure any more.

The benefit of this is that you don't have the drips this way. At least I didn't with my eyeballed ratio of ingredients.

I am 100% satisfied with the results. My hair is soft, shiny, light, and has good volume. Only thing wrong is it's not any longer LOL. It's worth trying the SMT on dry hair as a prewash DT IMO.

Good luck if you decide to try it!

Long_hair_bear
July 15th, 2012, 11:07 AM
I saw in the original post that you can add oils..... anyone ever try adding triple moon oil? i would, but didnt think of it till after the fact and its already in my hair. :)

velvetvenus
July 20th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Just jumping in to say my hair LOVES smts! What a little miracle recipe it is :)

Wildcat Diva
July 20th, 2012, 09:27 AM
I saw in the original post that you can add oils..... anyone ever try adding triple moon oil? i would, but didnt think of it till after the fact and its already in my hair. :)

Just for you, I'll experiment. I think my take on this is that I will pre-oil my hair with the triple moon oil, and add a few drops with the SMT, which I will try on dry hair again this weekend. I don't think I'm going to go to heavy on the oil tho, I have such a little bottle!

Wildcat Diva
July 22nd, 2012, 04:18 PM

Just for you, I'll experiment. I think my take on this is that I will pre-oil my hair with the triple moon oil, and add a few drops with the SMT, which I will try on dry hair again this weekend. I don't think I'm going to go to heavy on the oil tho, I have such a little bottle!

Ok, I did it. I pre-oiled with triple moon oil, but I added an extra factor in that may confound the results: I used coconut milk on my hair after that on dry hair as a leave-in. That dried up, THEN I added my SMT on top of that! I did use the VO5 SKR, Aloe Juice, Honey, and about 8 drops of triple moon oil. Bagged that, left it about an hour. Then I washed in out, all CO washing like, added a little more condish and massaged with that. I used one gallon of citric acid water to rinse after that. I never did add shampoo. My hair is now finished air drying, and real soft, shiny, not oily.

I'd say it's a go if you want to try it.

I did get the drips with my SMT this time, even though I used it on dry hair. So that stunk. I thought I had beaten the drips.

cmg
July 22nd, 2012, 06:08 PM
I did get the drips with my SMT this time, even though I used it on dry hair. So that stunk. I thought I had beaten the drips.

I usually avoid oiling the hair before SMTs. I assume coconut milk can have a similar effect. You might have sealed the hair with the fat in the coconut milk before you put on the SMT. So the hair could not absorb the SMT like it would have if you hadnt done that. My guess is this could have made the treatment drip because the moisture sat on top of everything, after your hair had the "coconut treatment".

On the other hand, a bad case of drip happened to me while my hair was extra thirsty: It sucked up all the oils and good stuff of the SMT within minutes, and suddenly the "remaining water" started to totally flood from the hair. This happened to me twice. I put it down to a bad condish (not enough emulgators) but it might just as well have been the condition of my hair that did this.

/ CMG

Wildcat Diva
July 22nd, 2012, 06:31 PM
I usually avoid oiling the hair before SMTs. I assume coconut milk can have a similar effect. You might have sealed the hair with the fat in the coconut milk before you put on the SMT. So the hair could not absorb the SMT like it would have if you hadnt done that. My guess is this could have made the treatment drip because the moisture sat on top of everything, after your hair had the "coconut treatment".

On the other hand, a bad case of drip happened to me while my hair was extra thirsty: It sucked up all the oils and good stuff of the SMT within minutes, and suddenly the "remaining water" started to totally flood from the hair. This happened to me twice. I put it down to a bad condish (not enough emulgators) but it might just as well have been the condition of my hair that did this.

/ CMG

This was very helpful information that may help me use the SMT more effectively.
I do not understand the part about the conditioner needing to have enough emulgators (I don't know what those even are). Can you point me somewhere? I have been using V05 Sun-Kissed Raspberry, FYI.

cmg
July 22nd, 2012, 06:59 PM
Sometimes when I use facial creams it gets sucked in and my skin gets wet. This is an example of bad product composition. Emulgators keep the different phases together in the mixture. The idea for the cream is to keep the moisture together with the other stuffs, so it can come into contact with the skin for an extended period of time.

For example if they had to produce cowmilk and put emulgators in it, then the fatty cream wouldnt stay on top separate from the rest of the milk. It would be mixed in and stay that way even if you say, heated it up or put it on your skin or whatever.

The most important function of emulgators is to keep things together, that are very different from each other. Another example of the function would be shower gels. They emulsify with the dirt particles, water hardiness particles and skin oils etc, so they can be rinsed off from your skin. If the emugators werent there, we would have to clean the bathtubs all the time like we did back in the 60:ies or 70:ies. :cool: Now we just let it all pour out.

A condish and milk are not as different as one might think. Both are emulsions, because none of the ingredients in the condish are truly dissolved in the water, they are dispersed (which is why it is wrong to say that there are water-soluble cones). Look for ingredients classified as "surfactants" or "detergents". These are the emulsifiers/emulgators.

Lately, the modern emulsifiers have become somewhat less effective again. I noticed this in some well known international brands. This is an effect of positive environmental thinking, which is good. But then we are back to cleaning bathtubs and sinks with more mechanical effort. :shrug:

I hope this helps. I dont get those particular products you mentioned where I live.

/ CMG

Wildcat Diva
July 22nd, 2012, 07:09 PM
Sometimes when I use facial creams it gets sucked in and my skin gets wet. This is an example of bad product composition. Emulgators keep the different phases together in the mixture. The idea for the cream is to keep the moisture together with the other stuffs, so it can come into contact with the skin for an extended period of time.

For example if they had to produce cowmilk and put emulgators in it, then the fatty cream wouldnt stay on top separate from the rest of the milk. It would be mixed in and stay that way even if you say, heated it up or put it on your skin or whatever.

The most important function of emulgators is to keep things together, that are very different from each other. Another example of the function would be shower gels. They emulsify with the dirt particles, water hardiness particles and skin oils etc, so they can be rinsed off from your skin. If the emugators werent there, we would have to clean the bathtubs all the time like we did back in the 60:ies or 70:ies. :cool: Now we just let it all pour out.

A condish and milk are not as different as one might think. Both are emulsions, because none of the ingredients in the condish are truly dissolved in the water, they are dispersed (which is why it is wrong to say that there are water-soluble cones). Look for ingredients classified as "surfactants" or "detergents". These are the emulsifiers/emulgators.

Lately, the modern emulsifiers have become somewhat less effective again. I noticed this in some well known international brands. This is an effect of positive environmental thinking, which is good. But then we are back to cleaning bathtubs and sinks with more mechanical effort. :shrug:

I hope this helps. I dont get those particular products you mentioned where I live.

/ CMG

This does help, and I will take a look at my products, and let this information soak in. Thank you for sharing your insight into the chemistry behind conditioners, and the SMT.
I have continued to be amazed how surfing LHC feels like science class, HA. It's good for my brain (and my hair).

Long_hair_bear
August 6th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Lmao omg! You guys should see my hubby right now! He's growing his hair out so I got him to do an smt treatment. Its his first tie in a shower cap and he looks absolutely ridiculous! Its so cute and funny all at once!

Wildcat Diva
August 6th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Lmao omg! You guys should see my hubby right now! He's growing his hair out so I got him to do an smt treatment. Its his first tie in a shower cap and he looks absolutely ridiculous! Its so cute and funny all at once!

you should totally snap a picture when he's not suspecting.

Sometimes I give my hubby a "scalp treatment" with triple moon oil massage, shower cap plus my big conehead electric heating cap. Now that is a sight!

Arakazi
August 14th, 2012, 08:18 PM
I was wondering if anyone has made a large batch of SMT to be kept and used at other times? I was thinking of making a jar up for my mum for her birthday and it would be great to have a jar on stand by for me.

I have collected to big aloe vera leaves(?) and would rather use them up instead of letting them go to waste.

cmg
August 15th, 2012, 03:30 PM
You wount be able to store them without a preservative. I actually did a little too much one time and left it in a jar. I went bad within a few days, which was to be expected.

If you already have pressed the juice out of the leaves, you may take 1 ml of bensoate and blend it with per 100 ml of juice and it will stay fresh. Lemon juice will not be enough to store it. Sorry I dont know measurements like "oz" and the like. 1 ml is like the amount you can make stay on a knifes edge.

/ CMG

pes3108
August 24th, 2012, 03:28 PM
I did my first SMT today! It turned out great, I had some curds after heating my conditioner, but they weren't too bad and came out after rinsing and combing. My hair is still drying but already it feels smoother and way less tangled than it normally would!!

I do have a question though - before I applied the SMT, I washed my hair. However, out of habit I applied conditioner after washing. I was planning on skipping that because I assumed the SMT would be more than enough. Does conditioning before doing the SMT make it less effective?

pes3108
August 25th, 2012, 08:45 AM
update --- my hair is actually really frizzy and the ends are kind of dry feeling. I think it was the honey ... I guess i will have to substitute that for something else next time. Oh well, it is fun to experiment!

spirals
August 26th, 2012, 12:21 AM
Sorry I dont know measurements like "oz" and the like. 1 ml is like the amount you can make stay on a knifes edge.

/ CMG
It's about 1/16 teaspoon.

cmg
August 26th, 2012, 02:09 PM
It's about 1/16 teaspoon.

It's 1/15 of a teaspoon :)

/ CMG

akilina
August 26th, 2012, 02:13 PM
update --- my hair is actually really frizzy and the ends are kind of dry feeling. I think it was the honey ... I guess i will have to substitute that for something else next time. Oh well, it is fun to experiment!
I don't seem to have this issue :) for the longest time I left out honey, but recently started using it.
I used to substitute my honey for whatever oil of my choice at the time :] It makes it feel amazingggg.

cmg
August 26th, 2012, 03:58 PM
My hair loves honey also.

Some people get frizzy ends from coconut oil used solo or in SMTs. This happens when the hair is very damaged, I suppose. When this happens to me, I take MORE coconut oil and work it in very carefully in the ends. I stroke the ends with fingertips and nails and do this pretty intensely. This may take one whole minute or more, until I feel the difference. Then also the ends become soft and frizz free.

/ CMG

akilina
August 26th, 2012, 04:14 PM
My hair loves honey also.

Some people get frizzy ends from coconut oil used solo or in SMTs. This happens when the hair is very damaged, I suppose. When this happens to me, I take MORE coconut oil and work it in very carefully in the ends. I stroke the ends with fingertips and nails and do this pretty intensely. This may take one whole minute or more, until I feel the difference. Then also the ends become soft and frizz free.

/ CMG
Ya know...I don't know that I could call what I do an SMT really. I like to call it a "modified" smt, but since I modify it, I think it loses the SMT name.
Now that I started using honey, I like to make a big mixture of condish, oil, aloe, and honey. I never measure things exactly either.

Now that I have chemically dyed hair- can't you microwave the honey for a few seconds to take away the peroxide action in it? I hate the idea of microwaving anything for my hair. I feel like microwaves deplete everything. What would you recommend? Putting it in a baggie and letting hot water run over it?

hairhelp121
August 26th, 2012, 04:14 PM
can anyone take a picture of what an SMT is supposed to look like? Like, the finished result? ive tried it a few times and i've no idea what the consistency is supposed to be. currently the way I do it, is that it comes out sort of chunky, like if I apply it to my hair there's a chunk of it where my fingers touched, and i have to distribute it amongst my hair like this. is that right?

also, what's the best way to apply it?

cmg
August 26th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Now that I have chemically dyed hair- can't you microwave the honey for a few seconds to take away the peroxide action in it? I hate the idea of microwaving anything for my hair. I feel like microwaves deplete everything.
I'm right with you there! I dont like the idea of nuking honey eiter. I strongly suspect, it isn't really neccessary either. Firstly, not every honey has any noticeable amounts of peroxide, secondly, when it is there, it takes at least ten treatments to take visible effect. So maybe you could try it as is anyway? I use it in small amounts and it seems OK.

currently the way I do it, is that it comes out sort of chunky, like if I apply it to my hair there's a chunk of it where my fingers touched, and i have to distribute it amongst my hair like this. is that right?

also, what's the best way to apply it?
It's gooey. I havent seen any chunks of any kind. Perhaps something has curdled in your mix? Try another condish or gel or something. The pH-level of one or more of the products you are using might be off. Dont stir it too much either. I just stir till it becomes thick and creamlike.

/ CMG

akilina
August 26th, 2012, 10:11 PM
I'm right with you there! I dont like the idea of nuking honey eiter. I strongly suspect, it isn't really neccessary either. Firstly, not every honey has any noticeable amounts of peroxide, secondly, when it is there, it takes at least ten treatments to take visible effect. So maybe you could try it as is anyway? I use it in small amounts and it seems OK.

That totally makes sense. Honey treatments never lighten for me :P Its like I am overly paranoid all the sudden for that reason though. I never was before when I used henna or did not care about my color but now I want to hold on to all the dye I can.

bunnylake
August 28th, 2012, 02:07 PM
I made this recipe a couple of weeks ago using Aussie 3MM and it was awesome! My hair felt like silk and smelled wonderful, too. I hennaed yesterday so I did another SMT just now, but I added a couple spoonfulls of Renpure Argan Oil Conditioner along with my Aussie 3MM (just to use some of it up... too many products in my shower teehee). Anyway it worked great and smelled even better. Woo!

I was so skeptical about the honey and aloe gel at first. I was like, how will this not make my hair a sticky mess? But now I wish I could do SMT every day :p

millyaulait
August 28th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Mine keeps coming out lumpy, LOL.

Geez... It was perfect the first time! :(

Wildcat Diva
August 28th, 2012, 08:52 PM
The only time I had lumps or curds was when I overheated it. Here's my method: Heat honey in microwave in glass dish, maybe 40 seconds. Let it sit a bit to cool, add some Aloe Vera Juice, heat about 15 seconds. Add conditioner, and vegetable glycerin, do not heat any more. Apply to hair.

animetor7
August 28th, 2012, 08:58 PM
I decided to try this today as I had a bottle of aloe vera sunburn relief gel lying around....the only difference between it and clear aloe vera is the color (blue) and the addition of tea tree extract. Despite this though it was still a wonderful treat for my hair, I think I'll have to add it into my routine.

millyaulait
August 29th, 2012, 07:54 AM
The only time I had lumps or curds was when I overheated it. Here's my method: Heat honey in microwave in glass dish, maybe 40 seconds. Let it sit a bit to cool, add some Aloe Vera Juice, heat about 15 seconds. Add conditioner, and vegetable glycerin, do not heat any more. Apply to hair.

Thanks, I'll try that! :)

Wildcat Diva
August 29th, 2012, 12:05 PM
I hope it works out for ya.

lilyofthevalley
August 30th, 2012, 07:57 PM
I did my first SMT tonight!

The honey was hard though, so when I microwaved it it didn't melt enough so to get it to melt I put it in for more...

I really hope it will still work although I heated it more than reccommended!

If not, I will try try again with Wildcat Diva's method. :)

DarkCurls
August 31st, 2012, 04:53 AM
Do you find the AVG really makes a difference? Because I tried it with only conditioner and honey, then conditioner, honey, and oil to replace the AVG, but it didn't do anything for my hair. Straight conditioner gives me better results. I've pretty much given up on SMTs because I didn't think one ingredient would change anything (why not use it straight in that case, you know?).
I was thinking of trying AVG anyway (not for SMTs though), but it's pretty expensive in the only store I've found (I don't buy hair stuff online). So, question: how much does the AVG help?

cmg
August 31st, 2012, 02:24 PM
Do you find the AVG really makes a difference? Because I tried it with only conditioner and honey, then conditioner, honey, and oil to replace the AVG, but it didn't do anything for my hair. Straight conditioner gives me better results. I've pretty much given up on SMTs because I didn't think one ingredient would change anything (why not use it straight in that case, you know?).
I was thinking of trying AVG anyway (not for SMTs though), but it's pretty expensive in the only store I've found (I don't buy hair stuff online). So, question: how much does the AVG help?

I'm thinking the hair needs different things at different times. Why don't you try the SMT without the AVG and see if it works for you? Lots of people make their own additions or leave out something.

I find AVG works very good in my hair. It makes it softer and shiny, especially under slightly more moist weather conditions where it usually frizzels upp. I have found a foot gel for less than half the price of the AVG from the health food shop. It has no bad ingredients either, just the AVG, water and c-vitamin as the preservative. Check the ingredients of other similar products, there may be one that you can use! For me it makes quite a difference in the SMT.

AVG works similar to honey in my hair, but makes it more soft perhaps and honey more shiny? Not sure, close call.

/ CMG

DarkCurls
August 31st, 2012, 02:36 PM
I'm thinking the hair needs different things at different times. Why don't you try the SMT without the AVG and see if it works for you? Lots of people make their own additions or leave out something.

I find AVG works very good in my hair. It makes it softer and shiny, especially under slightly more moist weather conditions where it usually frizzels upp. I have found a foot gel for less than half the price of the AVG from the health food shop. It has no bad ingredients either, just the AVG, water and c-vitamin as the preservative. Check the ingredients of other similar products, there may be one that you can use! For me it makes quite a difference in the SMT.

AVG works similar to honey in my hair, but makes it more soft perhaps and honey more shiny? Not sure, close call.

/ CMG
Thanks.
I actually have tried the SMT without AVG, so I'm wondering whether I should try it with. However, honey doesn't do anything for my hair. I hope AVG will.
I like the idea of avoiding frizz. ^^

cmg
August 31st, 2012, 02:47 PM
Your hair looks very shiny in your pics already :)

/ CMG

DarkCurls
September 1st, 2012, 05:45 AM
Your hair looks very shiny in your pics already :)

/ CMG
:D Thanks.

millyaulait
September 1st, 2012, 11:32 AM
Sorry to be a pest, but is this any good when cold?

My hair loves it so much, and I stretch my washes a lot anyway that I thought I could use it as a primary wash method.

I'd love to just throw some AVG & honey into my conditioner, shake it up, and apply it as I would straight conditioner, without the heat...

But I was wondering if it wouldn't give the same effects?

EleanorD
September 1st, 2012, 05:29 PM
I'm also having issues with the heat thing as I don't own a microwave. Is there another way to heat it?

....Nevermind, I found some replies in the thread from 2011, will be heating it on the hob or is a bowl of hot water.

cmg
September 2nd, 2012, 06:29 AM
Sorry to be a pest, but is this any good when cold?
When what is cold? The outdoor temperatures or the SMT when putting it on your head? I use it any time of the year and I never heat it or any of the ingredients. It always works great for me. Hmm, having said that, I think it's about time to do one myself now :stirpot:

/ CMG

millyaulait
September 2nd, 2012, 06:41 AM
When what is cold? The outdoor temperatures or the SMT when putting it on your head? I use it any time of the year and I never heat it or any of the ingredients. It always works great for me. Hmm, having said that, I think it's about time to do one myself now :stirpot:

/ CMG

Oops! I meant the SMT itself. :o

Thanks, I think I'll give it a go on my next wash day. :)

jessicac1
September 3rd, 2012, 05:33 AM
Help, are either of these conditioners suitable?
my hair is super dry :/
One has a form of dimethicone but is on the works well list, and one has sls.
It also has soy
https://www.lush.co.uk/product/333/Retread-Conditioner
http://m.tesco.com/mt/www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=252249168#un
_ingredients_exp
I am a UK resident and have trouble finding a conditioner without protein or dimethicone.

Wildcat Diva
September 3rd, 2012, 09:00 AM
Help, are either of these conditioners suitable?
my hair is super dry :/
One has a form of dimethicone but is on the works well list, and one has sls.
It also has soy
https://www.lush.co.uk/product/333/Retread-Conditioner
http://m.tesco.com/mt/www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=252249168#un
_ingredients_exp
I am a UK resident and have trouble finding a conditioner without protein or dimethicone.

I don't know, but I would say try it and see. What is the worst that can happen?

BlueMuse
September 3rd, 2012, 11:20 AM
I use cony conditioners a lot with SMTs and have never had a problem. Some products will work well for some, and not at all for others. One of the conditioners I used was on the "mixed results" list (can't remember which one now) and I didn't end up a frizzball, so apparently it was ok for me!

ozzy
September 5th, 2012, 01:28 PM
tried this first time today. my hair is not 100% dry, but WOW what a difference!!

jessicac1
September 6th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Ive found a conditioner with no cones or protein (I think my hair had a protein build up) woop :)
Its the boots naturals one for dry ends, looks like strawberry smoothie.
Or there was one by Naked called smooth with jojoba oil I found too.
Im giving no cones a go to see how my hair reacts (im now COing), and I agree no harm trying!

Wildcat Diva
September 6th, 2012, 09:08 AM
I use my old standby: VO5 sun-kissed raspberry. My "King Dollar" store carries it, for, of course $1.

xltorresx
September 6th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Wow this sounds good, thanks for posting :D

ladyfey
September 6th, 2012, 10:40 AM
I did this last night for the first time, I veganized it - agave instead of honey. I also didn't heat it at all. I braided my hair while it was damp, so I won't really see the results 'til tonight when I unbraid. But the top of my hair looks nice! :)

maborosi
September 6th, 2012, 11:06 AM
I really, really wanted to try this! But I couldn't find aloe gel at my local grocery store last night. I have some Aloe gel moisturizer, but I'm a bit hesitant to use it because it has a few other ingredients in it. Anyone ever use anything besides pure aloe in their hair and live to tell about it?

~maborosi~

Wildcat Diva
September 6th, 2012, 12:08 PM
I use Aloe Juice, from Walmart in the health aisle, where they have the protein bars, laxatives and stuff. I also add vegetable glycerine from the same aisle.

Perididdle
September 10th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Oh my goodness!

Gave this a try on Saturday night. Did a co-wash...then worried about build-up, so I washed with a bit of SLS free shampoo...then worried more...and shampooed with ICE Shine and conditioned with Tresemme naturals. Towel dried. Did 4 + 1 + 1 with Lily of the Desert aloe gel, generic store brand honey, and a mix of conditioners -- mostly Tresemme naturals, but some EverCreme for extra oomph and Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine (my formula has only one, minor silicone) for filler. I also put in just a bit of coconut oil. Slorped it all over my head, threw a bag on and tucked it under everything, then stuck a beanie on over it. Kept it on overnight.

It rinsed out so smooth and soft and gah! I used some Vo5 cheapie-cheap-cheap Vanilla Tea clarifying conditioner as a co-wash, just to make sure everything got out. It felt lovely in the shower. I didn't do any leave-ins, just to see, and it dried fairly poofy with curls undefined. However, the HAIR! It's SO shiny, soft, and BOUNCY. It's a bit tangly at the bottoms, which I don't usually get, so that's odd. I threw coconut oil on it last night and that helped.

I never thought I needed moisture, because when I used cheap "moisture" shampoos + conditioners, my hair got all gummy and gross. This was, I'm pretty sure, just from the gunky buildup of silicones and waxes. This feels AMAZING and my hair loves it. The sheer change in texture and feel is amazing. I will definitely be doing this again! It may be how I kick start into a CO routine. We'll see!

lilliemer
September 11th, 2012, 08:13 PM
I really, really wanted to try this! But I couldn't find aloe gel at my local grocery store last night. I have some Aloe gel moisturizer, but I'm a bit hesitant to use it because it has a few other ingredients in it. Anyone ever use anything besides pure aloe in their hair and live to tell about it?

~maborosi~

Aloe dries my hair out so I use a combination of honey, extra virgin olive oil, and conditioner for SMT. For me these results are a lot better than an aloe-containing mixture. Ratio about 1:1:4. You could substitute coconut oil for the olive oil if your hair likes coconut (mine doesn't seem to).

Mist
September 12th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Hey there!
I tried this today for the first time and I wanted to share my experience!
I wanted to try this treatment because in the last four months my hair has turned a little dry and it gets tangled more easily than usual:
http://i45.tinypic.com/34fz4ox.jpgStupid tangled hair >=(

These are the ingredients I used:

http://i45.tinypic.com/2ib0mir.jpg
- Aloe vera. It's quite difficult to find pure Aloe Vera in my city so I decided to make my own gel from a Aloe Vera plant I have in my garden (I followed these directions (http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Aloe-Vera-Gel) in orden to make it)
- Coconut milk conditioner (a cons- free with egg protein conditioner)
- Queen bee honey (love the bottle <3)
-Glycerin
-Almond oil

I microwaved the ingredients for about 20 seconds and it ended up in this soup. Then I put some drops of a henna treatment I love.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2dbudzr.jpg

I used it on my hair after the shampoo, covered my hair with a plastic bag and waited 20 minutes (I didn't have so much time).

The final results were amazing! my hair is shiny again, soft, and it tangles little less (my hair is really really fine so it tangles a lot).

Thank you Snowymoon for sharing this treatment.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2md2s77.jpg Happy hair (I don't know why my hair looks red in this picture haha)

Wildcat Diva
September 12th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Your hair in your after picture looks so much shinier!

rosance
September 16th, 2012, 01:34 AM
OMG. I want to try this really bad! I have VO5 (strawberries and cream), Aloe Vera Gel (clear and alcohol free), and Honey. :D I will report back after I try it. Most likely it will take place in two days! I am currently starting a co wash routine and will therefore co wash it out :)

Elessaelle
September 16th, 2012, 04:40 AM

Wow, the difference is really amazing!

Yosha
September 16th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Oh what a difference, it looks so soft and healthy! I haven't done one in a while, but seeing your pics made me do an SMT as well (it's in my hair now):p

rosance
September 16th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Snowy's Fave Moisture Treatment
1 part Fave conditioner (must be moisture), mine is VO5-Sun Kissed Raspberry.
1/4 part honey
1/4 part clear aloe vera gel (I use Fruit of the Earth).

So if I was to use 1 tablespoon of conditioner, I would use 1/4 of a tablespoon for honey and aloe vera gel right?:confused:
If I was to use two tablespoons of conditioner, I would use 1/2 a tablespoon of the other two substances.

Krystall
September 16th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Mist: Your hair looks absolutely :pegasus: ! I am definitely trying this.

isbmlamloi
September 17th, 2012, 10:06 AM
So if I was to use 1 tablespoon of conditioner, I would use 1/4 of a tablespoon for honey and aloe vera gel right?:confused:
If I was to use two tablespoons of conditioner, I would use 1/2 a tablespoon of the other two substances.

You are correct!

rosance
September 17th, 2012, 02:39 PM
You are correct!
I already did my mixture and will hopefully be applying it tomorrow :) So excited! :cheese:

SugarPlumDreams
September 17th, 2012, 06:11 PM
mist - such wonderful results!

I'm off to buy aloe vera gel tomorrow... Thanks for the inspiration!

catiebloo
September 19th, 2012, 08:45 AM
I currently have Mist's SMT mix on my hair at the moment. I plan to leave it on for a few hours & then rinse. I'm hoping despite this conditioner having egg protein in it, it won't go bitty :/

hellucy
September 24th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Ive found a conditioner with no cones or protein (I think my hair had a protein build up) woop :)
Its the boots naturals one for dry ends, looks like strawberry smoothie.
Or there was one by Naked called smooth with jojoba oil I found too.
Im giving no cones a go to see how my hair reacts (im now COing), and I agree no harm trying!

Another good brand for no cones is Superdrug naturals they have some lovely scents - coconut & sweet almond, cherry & fig, raspberry & macadamia, peppermint & tea tree, apple & lime - the one's I've tried worked well for SMT's & they are only 99p.

hufflepug
October 4th, 2012, 08:45 PM
I'm going to try this tonight (Finally!). I don't have honey though, so I'm going to leave that out and use a little jojoba oil, which my hair seems to like. Wish me luck!

cmg
October 11th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Did it again last night, but I used agave sirup instead of honey. Worked wonderfully!

/ CMG

anitacs9101
October 11th, 2012, 11:12 PM
I tried this with SKR, Fruit of the Earth aloe gel and some honey from a brand I forget. I had to microwave it a lot though for the honey to mix well, and I got a lot of curds. I just used it in my hair anyway but it was a pain to rinse and there were still some left >.< What causes the curds? How do I mix the honey?? I had to microwave it excessively for the honey to mix at all.
But minus the bits it made my hair feel soo nice ^.^

cmg
October 12th, 2012, 10:15 AM
The curds usually depend on bad/wrong/insufficient amount of emulgators in the mix (from the condish in this case). They can also appear from unsuitable differences in the pH-level. I wouldnt microwave the mix and see if that works better. Can you slowly heat it up in a bowl inside a pan with hot water? Then you can stop the temp to rise too quickly and too high. Might help or you will have to use another condish.

/ CMG

Wildcat Diva
October 12th, 2012, 12:13 PM
The very first time I used SMT I had hellacious curds. I had microwaved too long. I used SKR then and I still do. Now, I just microwave the honey alone first, then I add the AVG and nuke a few seconds more, then I add the condish (and glycerin).

isbmlamloi
December 4th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Oh my stars, everyone. I have been skipping SMTs for a few months, and last night finally sat myself down to do one for the first time in a while, and even spent an hour harvesting aloe straight from the plant rather than using gel. The consistency of the SMT was very different than using gel from a bottle. Today, my hair feels amazing. I don't think it has felt this good in years. I am so excited about this find, and will be doing the SMT with fresh aloe from now on.

Anwen
January 29th, 2013, 06:50 AM
Hmm, I have a tube of AVG languishing in my cupboard as I bought it on a whim and then couldn't quite work out what to do with it, I might try this. Not sure what conditioner to use, I've got a quite expensive organic one which is lovely but... quite expensive, or a Timotei "Pure" (sulphate/cone/paraben free) conditioner for normal to greasy hair which I bought to try co-washing (although I didn't realise it was for normal to greasy, and am now thinking it may be too stripping?? Although I guess if I'm using it to cleanse rather than moisturise it might be okay?) which I've not used yet so am not sure if it's any good. Otherwise I've got some L'Oreal Nutri Gloss Crystal which seems to be cone-free, although it's at my mum's place so I'd have to remember to grab it next time I'm there.

Aredhel77
January 29th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Hmm, I have a tube of AVG languishing in my cupboard as I bought it on a whim and then couldn't quite work out what to do with it, I might try this. Not sure what conditioner to use, I've got a quite expensive organic one which is lovely but... quite expensive, or a Timotei "Pure" (sulphate/cone/paraben free) conditioner for normal to greasy hair which I bought to try co-washing (although I didn't realise it was for normal to greasy, and am now thinking it may be too stripping?? Although I guess if I'm using it to cleanse rather than moisturise it might be okay?) which I've not used yet so am not sure if it's any good. Otherwise I've got some L'Oreal Nutri Gloss Crystal which seems to be cone-free, although it's at my mum's place so I'd have to remember to grab it next time I'm there.

The Timotei or Nutrigloss might be OK for SMT - and by the time you've added honey and aloe to it, it will be more moisturising anyway. The worst thing that happens with conditioners in an SMT mix is that occasionally they form 'curds' to varying degrees when you mix it up (I think it's the aloe in the mix that causes this to happen, I've not ever noticed it if I've just supplemented a conditioner with a bit of honey). I think I may have used the Nutrigloss conditioner for SMT before. I remember it had a very strong 'pink' scent that I didn't much care for! But I've never personally had problems rinsing 'curds' out when this has happened - it just causes a bit of a textural change to the conditioner.

Best of luck!

rowie
February 7th, 2013, 11:58 AM
My First SMT

Omg I can't believe I waited this long to try SMT! I love the feeling of my hair now, it feels so smooth and I can run my fingers through my hair without getting into a tangled mess. I'm so going to add this to my routine. I must confess at first I thought this was a gimmick and so yesterday I was desperate to try something to remedy my dried ends that felt like it easily tangled. I followed the first recipe that Anje brought up which is 4 part fav conditioner (I used a cone free one), 1 part honey, 1 part aloe vera gel and I substitute them with what I could find. I followed her directions. I also made sure to clarify my hair before doing this to get anything out of my hair.

Products I used plus clarifying shampoo before doing the procedure:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/shyboyfriend/E4440333-96C9-4A60-8B8C-FE6A79665F1D-11860-00000479044B31DB_zpsb44552fa.jpg

Final Results:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/shyboyfriend/IMAGE_FD179183-5F1B-4CFB-948B-3A43F84A9D44_zps052ddb35.jpg

ETA: I let my hair air dry instead of blow drying, and I did a final super cold rinse.

lydiajo
February 7th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Is there a difference between using aloe liquid vs the gel. I'm having trouble finding the gel right now.

Nebulae
February 7th, 2013, 02:15 PM
I did a cassia-SMT a couple of days ago, as a treatment after clarifying my hair. :D I used about 1.5 parts cassia powder that I mixed with rooibos tea, and added a bit more than 0.5 parts olive oil (I was aiming for 0.5, but I poured a bit fast!) to the SMT. It turned out a bit too runny for my liking, I will try mix the cassia directly with the conditioner if I decide to do this again.

I was amazed that my hair seemed to have absorbed almost everything of the treatment! Taking it out of the shower cap before rinsing, basically it was damp with cassia clumps in it XD
I haven't really looked at my hair since then, I have just kept it up since I've only been home. Had to take a look in the mirror now and I must say that yes, it looks shiny and nice! It's not dry from the cassia, yet not too moisturized either from the SMT. I'm happy with the results. :thumbsup:

And wow rowie - such sleek and thick hair! Looks great! :D

Wildcat Diva
February 7th, 2013, 10:46 PM
I have used the aloe juice successfullly, seems to be fine.

And Rowie, WOW! Your hair is beautiful! So glossy!

rowie
February 8th, 2013, 09:24 AM
I did a cassia-SMT a couple of days ago, as a treatment after clarifying my hair. :D I used about 1.5 parts cassia powder that I mixed with rooibos tea, and added a bit more than 0.5 parts olive oil (I was aiming for 0.5, but I poured a bit fast!) to the SMT. It turned out a bit too runny for my liking, I will try mix the cassia directly with the conditioner if I decide to do this again.

I was amazed that my hair seemed to have absorbed almost everything of the treatment! Taking it out of the shower cap before rinsing, basically it was damp with cassia clumps in it XD
I haven't really looked at my hair since then, I have just kept it up since I've only been home. Had to take a look in the mirror now and I must say that yes, it looks shiny and nice! It's not dry from the cassia, yet not too moisturized either from the SMT. I'm happy with the results. :thumbsup:

And wow rowie - such sleek and thick hair! Looks great! :D
Thanks Nebulae!:blossom: I think i'll try your treatment version but replace the cassia with one part of my favorite henna powder. I might have to let it sit longer since i'm putting on some henna. But thanks for the idea. :)

I have used the aloe juice successfullly, seems to be fine.

And Rowie, WOW! Your hair is beautiful! So glossy!

Thanks WildcatDiva. :blossom: It's nice to get a compliment from a person I admire for having beautiful blunt cut hairstyle and talented with using hair toys. Have you tried a newer version of your own? Or what I mean is did you make any newer versions of SMT lately?

Wildcat Diva
February 9th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Ooooohhhh, compliments! Lovely! Though I may have fairy tale ends before it's all said and done. Thanks!

I have not done any different recipes lately. I have added some glycerin a while back and that worked out pretty well.

Nebulae
February 11th, 2013, 04:39 PM
I just have to pop in to add - after washing as usual 3 days after my cassia-SMT-version I noticed that my hair feels ridiculously soft! I would touch it and be amazed every time.. I can't remember that my hair has ever felt that way! And it still feels the same, now that it is time to wash again. I haven't even felt the need to oil my ends, so it's perfectly moisturized too. So count me in as a convert, SMT's will now be a staple in my routine. :cheese:

I may have to try a regular SMT next time to see if there is any difference.. but I did feel the cassia-effect so it might very well play a role in how my hair feels.

Wildcat Diva
February 11th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Hey, anyone tried adding Amla to an SMT?

Mandie
March 9th, 2013, 11:51 PM
I tried my first SMT tonight after clarifying and I am THRILLED. I'm doing a 1mo up challenge and it's so hard to keep my hair up, it's silk!

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/602029_10200910846357185_618586728_n.jpg

Mommyof4
March 10th, 2013, 01:04 AM
Ok.. after my henna left my hair a little dry, I am DOING THIS tomorrow!!! I need to give my hair some moisture!

alyaziaaah
March 10th, 2013, 01:47 AM
OMG Rowie!
you have dream hair! so shiney silky perfect! :thudpile:

and Mandy! you too! :blossom: :crush:

i did smts long time ago and forgot about them, i will try this after tomorrow as i have a protein pack on my head right now and need to wait for next wash day :wethree:

Mommyof4
March 10th, 2013, 03:01 AM
Hopefully, it'll make mine like that.. I've never done a SMT before.

kelly20364
March 11th, 2013, 02:10 PM
I had been using trader joes nourish spa and I loved it, but ran out. I had some V05 Kiwi lime squeeze that I tried and it left little flakes all in my hair. I wouldn't recommend that one. I then used Pure Life Rosemary conditioner and it worked really well. :) pics later after my hair dries.

Rainbow2911
March 12th, 2013, 12:34 PM
I finally have all the ingredients and I'm about to try my first SMT after 7 years lurking here meaning to try it! My hair is pretty dry so hopefully it will like it.

Rainbow2911
March 12th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Well I think I can say my hair is a fan! I used 4tbsp treseme naturals moisturising conditioner, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp honey and 1 tbsp aloe vera juice. I applied to to dry hair after massaging a mix of castor oil and bringraj oil into my scalp, and left it all in under clingfilm and a bobble hat for 2 hours. Very sexy. Its now more or less dry and very soft and shiny. I still have slightly dry and velcro-y ends but they seem to be better. The oil didn't all come out of my scalp but other than that I'm really pleased.

How often are people using this? Weekly? Monthly?

kidari
March 13th, 2013, 01:09 AM
Personally, I do a treatment once a week. (I have read of others who do it every wash, especially if they are battling dryness for one reason or another to nurse it back.) So I do an SMT once a week unless I'm doing something else instead. Lately I've been mixing two different conditioners in my mix. Right now I have a mix with a bit of olive oil in it.

Rainbow2911
March 13th, 2013, 06:19 AM
Once a week until my hair forgives me for letting it get so dry sounds like a plan! Thanks.

BlueMuse
March 13th, 2013, 08:24 PM
I do a moisture treatment (either this or molasses since I have dark reddish hair) every now and again. Probably not even every month, but just when it feels like it's getting really dry. I should probably do it more really!

isbmlamloi
March 14th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Ooh, tell me more about molasses treatment?

BlueMuse
March 14th, 2013, 06:08 PM
This is the recipe I use.

molasses treatment

1 part molasses
1 part conditioner
1 part olive oil

method: apply to dry hair, let sit for 30 min to 1 hour, shampoo out and condition

It's a bit more "heavy duty" for me that the SMT and usually causes less static for whatever reason. It does however make your bath tub/shower look like an out take from a Hitchcock movie.

kidari
March 14th, 2013, 06:35 PM
I have tried mixing V05 conditioner with coconut milk on dry hair then leaving it in before shampoo and condition, I'm curious to try an SMT this way. I liked using plain coconut milk, because mixing it with conditioner (maybe it was that particular conditioner?) made my hair really floaty, so strange.

Anje
March 15th, 2013, 08:22 AM
This is the recipe I use.

molasses treatment

1 part molasses
1 part conditioner
1 part olive oil

method: apply to dry hair, let sit for 30 min to 1 hour, shampoo out and condition

It's a bit more "heavy duty" for me that the SMT and usually causes less static for whatever reason. It does however make your bath tub/shower look like an out take from a Hitchcock movie.
For what it's worth, I've experimented with several different sugary syrups (honey, molasses, pancake syrup, corn syrup), and I've gotten similar results from all of them. Other people have reported great results using maple syrup and agave syrup. So if people don't want murder-scene bathtubs or staining from molasses, I think you can pretty much substitute in your syrup of choice.

BlueMuse
March 15th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Oh good to know! I like the way molasses smells and it seems to bring out a bit of the red in my hair, but yeah, I'm not sure I'd recommend it to anyone with really light hair, and since it is super dark brown I'm pretty much tethered to the bath room area to avoid staining if it leaks from under the cap.

Rainbow2911
April 3rd, 2013, 02:56 PM
I just did an SMT with two spoonfuls of mayonnaise stirred in and oh my goodness! My hair is like silk and so shiny. Smells slightly odd but well worth it...!

kidari
April 7th, 2013, 06:49 PM
I just did an SMT with two spoonfuls of mayonnaise stirred in and oh my goodness! My hair is like silk and so shiny. Smells slightly odd but well worth it...!

I'm so tempted to try a hair treatment containing mayo or avocado one day! Your post and results are tempting to to add a scoop of mayo into my SMT this coming week :cheese:

Rainbow2911
April 8th, 2013, 01:47 AM
Really did add a ton of moisture and shine! I'll definitely be doing it again. Oh and the slight vinegar smell disappeared overnight. :)

aet2009
April 14th, 2013, 04:35 PM
SMT's SAVED my hair. I use honey, aloe, and matrix biolage conditioner. I tried it with a runnier conditioner and it didn't work as well.

Scarlet_Heart
May 17th, 2013, 05:40 PM
I can't believe I've been around this long and am doing my first SMT tonight. :)

Wildcat Diva
May 17th, 2013, 06:39 PM
All right SH! Awesome!

I'm mad at SMT, got the dreaded curds that refused rinsing out. I ended up letting hair dry and brushed them out. I think it was that I added really hot water to dilute it to a lotion and that curdled the VO5. Won't do that again!

Scarlet_Heart
May 17th, 2013, 07:20 PM
All right SH! Awesome!

I'm mad at SMT, got the dreaded curds that refused rinsing out. I ended up letting hair dry and brushed them out. I think it was that I added really hot water to dilute it to a lotion and that curdled the VO5. Won't do that again!

Lol, I put my mixture in the microwave for 20 seconds and when I opened the microwave, the lid shot off my container and it was scalding hot. I didn't think 20 seconds would do that. As a result, mine had curds too, but I thought it was the honey. Oh well, we'll see what the result is after it dries.

Wildcat Diva
May 17th, 2013, 07:44 PM
No, it's the conditioner. I never actually heat that part up. I normally heat up the honey (since I don't want lighter hair), let that sit a couple of minutes, then I add the aloe and heat a few more seconds. I add the conditioner, and whatever else (usually a bit of glycerin), mix it up, and it's plenty warm that way.

Sylvestrix
May 18th, 2013, 10:54 AM
-deep breaths- Okay. I've read this thread from top to tail, and I think I'm ready.:pray:

I think I'm going to try the much lauded SMT this week.:undecided

I've been so reluctant to try it, because almost everything I've been recommended here that does wonders on everyone elses beautiful hair, mine seems to hate, or at least not be bothered about. Like coconut oil (shudder, I won't be putting that on my hair again!:scared:). I see Aussie 3MM seems to yield acceptable results, which is good, since it's my go to conditioner. Cross all your crossable body parts for me, people!

alexis917
May 26th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Just applied my first SMT.
I have dark hair and want it to stay that way, and I was worried the honey would lighten it, so I didn't add any.
I used four tablespoons of conditioner, and one tablespoon gel. Fruit of the Earth, clear.
A first I tried to use my everyday conditioner, even though it has protein- VO5 strawberries and cream.
I noticed that it had the consistency of oatmeal even after microwaving. It was very clumpy.
I didn't feel comfortable using it on my hair, so I tossed that and made another batch with Herbal Essences relaunched Smooth Collection Rose Hip Conditioner.
The second batch came out much better, with the consistency of yogurt.
I applied to damp/wet hair. It felt AMAZING going on.
It had glide and slip like no other conditioner.
I'll post pictures when my hair dries!
Hopefully, it's super shiny.
My only problem: putting cling wrap on my hair is a pain!

Wildcat Diva
May 26th, 2013, 09:28 PM
My dollar store has a dozen plastic shower caps for $1. I use those.

Cania
May 27th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Thought I'd add that Tresemme "Naturals" conditioner works really well for this ^_^

alexis917
May 27th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Slightly damp because I sleep bunned it.
It's not very shiny, but it IS very soft!
I didn't use any honey, so I wonder what difference that makes.
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee437/ramyun67/IMG_3866-1.jpg (http://s1227.photobucket.com/user/ramyun67/media/IMG_3866-1.jpg.html)
Sorry for the size (IPhone/Photobucket).

Gilly
June 12th, 2013, 01:05 AM
I just mixed up a SMT and now have it on my head!
I used Aubrey Organics camillia conditioner and some honey that I had in the pantry.
I am getting really fed up with my hair looking like I have been dragged through a bush within 10 mins of drying it!
I am going to try and do SMTs on a very regular basis (several times a week) and I am hoping I can ditch the hairdryer (I only use it to blast dry while holding it at arms length but even so I don't think it's helping!)
I don't have hours to spend on leaving my hair to dry and I have to wash it in the morning (non-negotiable so don't go there please!)
I am going to try and use a headband to try and get some shape in it before I go to work.

rhosyn_du
June 15th, 2013, 08:26 PM
It's been a while since I did an SMT, but my hair was feeling like it needed moisture and I had some time, so I tried mixing one up with some VO5 Free Me Freesia that I had in the cupboard. Bad, bad plan. I think maybe they changed the formulation since it was put on the "good" SMT conditioners list, because my SMT mixed up the consistency of water (how does this even happen?! all of the ingredients are thick!) with little chunks in it. It did this just from mixing, no heat. I'm pretty disappointed. :nono:

GabrielleRose
June 19th, 2013, 03:44 PM
I'm trying this out right now. My hair has been feeling so yucky lately that I have been contemplating on yet another trim. So hopefully after this I might feel a wee bit better.

Here's what I used:

6 tablespoons Sherry's Potions & Lotions "Behave Thyself" Conditioner
2 tablespoons Jason Aloe Vera gel
2 tablespoons Central Market Organic Agave nectar (couldn't find the honey)

I heated up the mixture twice, 10 seconds each time. I then slathered it on my dry hair which I haven't washed in two days so I'm hoping my hair doesn't turn greasy once its dry, combed out the tangles and spritzed my hair with water to ease the detangling process, and then put my hair in a bun. Now I don't have a shower cap so I just wrapped my hair in a plastic bag and then a turbie twist towel to cover. I am off to do my exercises now and will update after I have washed my hair out.

Wish me luck! :D

kelly20364
June 19th, 2013, 06:17 PM
I was again out of my go-to trader joes nourish spa conditioner for my SMT and used my Toadstool Soaps conditioner. UGH. CURDS. :(

kidari
June 19th, 2013, 06:34 PM
I haven't done an SMT in a while either so I mixed up a batch and let it soak for 2+ hours after clarifying and wow my hair felt so much thicker afterwards and when it dried it looked fuller. I have to remember to do this once a week every week. The conditioner I used was the Clear line... I figured it's meant to condition your scalp as well and that takes waaaaay too much conditioner to cover all my scalp and hair so why not help it along and stretch the product by adding honey and aloe to it?

GabrielleRose
June 19th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Well the results so far are not what I hoped for. :(

The mixture was good, no curdles, but when I rinsed my hair felt and looked greasy so then I had to shampoo which made it so dry and tangly, and of course I slathered on conditioner. My hair is still wet, but perhaps I will need to try a different conditioner and use honey instead of the agave nectar.

Wildcat Diva
June 19th, 2013, 08:58 PM
I figured it's meant to condition your scalp as well and that takes waaaaay too much conditioner to cover all my scalp and hair so why not help it along and stretch the product by adding honey and aloe to it?

Amen sister

Wildcat Diva
June 20th, 2013, 10:54 PM
It's been a while since I did an SMT, but my hair was feeling like it needed moisture and I had some time, so I tried mixing one up with some VO5 Free Me Freesia that I had in the cupboard. Bad, bad plan. I think maybe they changed the formulation since it was put on the "good" SMT conditioners list, because my SMT mixed up the consistency of water (how does this even happen?! all of the ingredients are thick!) with little chunks in it. It did this just from mixing, no heat. I'm pretty disappointed. :nono:

Yeah curds/ chunks suck. And they are hard to wash out. It has happened to me more than once. Anyone else have little Imessage convos with friends from here? Here's one from a while back about SMT issues. I thought it was pretty funny. Please excuse the curse word.

https://imageshack.com/a/img11/7302/f8h.png

kidari
June 20th, 2013, 11:36 PM
^^ lol that is funny! I've never had curds before but I never understood how CO washing successfully removes heavy oilings. In my case a simple shampoo gets the job done whenever I do a heavy oiling. Back on the subject of curds... I really think it may be from microwaving it too long/too much. I never do any longer than 8 seconds at a time. My method is to nuke the honey for 8 seconds, mix everything else in, nuke it again for 7 seconds, done!

GRU
June 21st, 2013, 05:45 AM
I've never had curds before but I never understood how CO washing successfully removes heavy oilings. In my case a simple shampoo gets the job done whenever I do a heavy oiling.

Regarding CO-washing, there are enough surfactants in conditioner to remove even heavy oilings. The combination of the surfactants and the mechanical action of scrubbing/combing with your fingers/comb/brush is sufficient. It's kind of like the Oil Cleansing Method for your skin... oil lifts oil.

kidari
June 22nd, 2013, 05:47 PM
^^ I do use the OCM to remove makeup and it works better than any foamy cleanser ever can but I have yet to have this work on my hair. I'm thinking maybe I don't put in enough conditioner or something. I want to try a heavy oiling and rinse it out with an SMT sometime this month as an experiment.

GRU
June 23rd, 2013, 09:29 AM
^^ I do use the OCM to remove makeup and it works better than any foamy cleanser ever can but I have yet to have this work on my hair. I'm thinking maybe I don't put in enough conditioner or something. I want to try a heavy oiling and rinse it out with an SMT sometime this month as an experiment.

Have you tried CO-washing with a different conditioner?

I don't think it's necessarily a problem of "not enough conditioner" because I use very little conditioner mixed with a lot of water.... like an ounce (30ml) of conditioner with 7 ounces (210mL) of water, shaken together in an applicator bottle. If it was a copious amount of oil, I might CO-wash, rinse, CO-wash, rinse -- but I've never had to CO-wash more than twice to remove oil (henna yes, but not oil).

Are you using enough mechanical action? I like to brush through my hair with a Tangle Teezer with the conditioner solution... it helps to make sure that the conditioner gets thoroughly spread, and it helps to make the conditioner "foam up" and lift off oil/debris. (Works great for removing henna grit, too!)

I would try with several different conditioners to try to find the one that is your Holy Grail product.

kidari
June 24th, 2013, 01:03 AM
^^ Oh wow! I never thought to CO wash twice if the first time didn't do a thorough enough job! The old school instructions on shampooing would say to lather and repeat so why didn't it occur to me that it can also apply to CO washing? I think the conditioners I've used are too thick and therefore difficult to apply evenly. The best results for me have actually been the runnier conditioners like V05 over the thick creamy ones that are actually marketed as a cleansing conditioner. It's crazy that for your long thick hair you use so little conditioner. I already have squirt bottles meant for mixing up and applying hair dyes so I will try using a V05 conditioner diluted with water. Thank you!!

Wildcat Diva
June 24th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Yes, and I tried the tangle teezer thing with the VO5 conditioner on, and it DID foam up.

kelly20364
June 24th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Did an SMT last night for the 1st time in a long time with my restocked Trader Joe's nourish spa conditioner.....OMG! I'm in heaven right now! and no curds!!! My hair is back to its awesome self! So soft and shiny...I won't let myself run out ever again! :)

GRU
June 24th, 2013, 12:13 PM
^^ Oh wow! I never thought to CO wash twice if the first time didn't do a thorough enough job! The old school instructions on shampooing would say to lather and repeat so why didn't it occur to me that it can also apply to CO washing? I think the conditioners I've used are too thick and therefore difficult to apply evenly. The best results for me have actually been the runnier conditioners like V05 over the thick creamy ones that are actually marketed as a cleansing conditioner. It's crazy that for your long thick hair you use so little conditioner. I already have squirt bottles meant for mixing up and applying hair dyes so I will try using a V05 conditioner diluted with water. Thank you!!

Report back and let us know how it worked!

Yes, and I tried the tangle teezer thing with the VO5 conditioner on, and it DID foam up.

Good to know I'm not the only one that works for! I think that water hardness can affect how much foaming you get, in addition to the type of conditioner you use, but I've always had good luck with TTing and conditioner!

1hunky5monkeys
June 24th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Moved my post to the CO-wash thread.

kidari
June 24th, 2013, 04:24 PM
I haven't oiled prior to CO washing yet but I did try the CO wash by using V05 kiwi lime squeeze conditioner diluted with distilled water (in case it takes me 3 washes to use up the batch I made it doesn't go bad fast) in a squirty bottle meant for hair dye application. I thoroughly wet my hair then I made partings all over with the aid of the pointy applicator tip and liberally squirted the diluted V05 conditioner all over my scalp and massaged it with my fingertips. Then I tilted my head back so the water would help distribute the conditioner down towards my ends and it foamed and lathered a bit. Normally I might slather on a heavier conditioner on the ends prior to stuffing everything into a shower cap but I just squirted more of the diluted conditioner on the length, which was a tiny bit tricky due to the runny mixture. All in all it was a success! My hair and scalp feel more clean with this method- thank you GRU! It was faster and easier and more effective... plus I used less product! Next time I will try putting on a heavier conditioner on the length and I have yet to try it to wash off oil (I will keep in mind that I can CO wash twice to thoroughly remove the oil). I'm inspired by the post before mine by 1hunkey5monkeys I will experiment by adding things to my diluted CO washes. Although I'm weary of the additions(s) hindering with the sudsy/lathering quality of the method I used with just diluted V05.

GRU
June 24th, 2013, 05:09 PM
So glad that it worked for you!

When it comes to diluted-co-washing, I think of it like soap... you don't just put soap on your hands and expect it to lather up without adding water. Nor do you squirt (liquid soap) or rub (bar soap) over every single bit of skin on the front and back of your hands -- you put a bit of soap on a hand, add water, and rub the mixture all over.

If for some reason I were to go back to shampooing my hair, I would use this same dilution method. The only reason shampoo bottles say to use so much (and to lather-rinse-REPEAT!) is so that you'll go through the product more quickly and give their company more of your hard-earned money!

kidari
June 24th, 2013, 07:58 PM
^^ A lot of the times I dilute my shampoo in that same bottle. I've experimented and mixed shampoos that I found to be too gentle with harsher shampoos that lather a ton. I have even diluted shampoo with coconut milk and it's worked out great! Thanks again for my CO washing trouble shooting. I agree that salons, hair product companies, and etc. set everything up to brainwash and trick us into being ignorant and spending more money and becoming more reliant on them. The cleansing shampoos always say to use something like at least 10 pumps on shoulder length hair and that "the more you use the better the results" ahaha do you see how they are making you spend more $$? The reason why I love SMTs so much is that it helps me to stretch my conditioners much longer since I add more volume to my deep conditioning treatments with the aid of cheaper items like oils, aloe, honey, etc. Also, I love SMTs because you don't necessarily have to use a nicer conditioner, you can use any regular daily use conditioner and beef it up by mixing in the ingredients!

alexis917
June 25th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Suave Naturals Rosemary and Mint gave me CLUMPS....!
I didn't think there was any protein in it.
Has anyone tried this with Neutrogena's Triple Moisture Deep Conditioner?

bradlea
June 25th, 2013, 11:32 PM
Well, my hair is on its maiden SMT voyage right now! I tried just honey and conditioner last night, and it was great, so I'm excited to see if the aloe gel makes it even better. I'm using VO5 Kiwi Lime conditioner and Lily of the Desert aloe gel. I didn't heat it up, because I don't care if my hair is lightened a bit, and also I am very lazy. :3

Does anyone have any application tips? Mine came out very runny and I pretty much just scooped it up with my hands and put it on from the ends to the scalp, but it was messy. Maybe I could put it in a haircolor application bottle next time.

battles
July 15th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Where does everyone buy their aloe gel? I'm having a ridiculous time finding any online for a decent price, and anything in town is green.

(Also bump because SMTs!!)

deb1211
July 15th, 2013, 03:48 PM
I did my first SMT last night..used Suave Naturals Coconut mixed with Rainbow Resarch's henna/biotin conditioner. I tried to find Aloe Vera Gel by one of the recommended companies, but instead bought some generic CVS clear aloe..it was next to the sunscreen..couldn't find any other brand though..it all seemed to work well though!

oatmealpie
July 15th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Battles - I get my aloe gel from Trader Joe's. It's available on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Trader-Joes-Pure-Aloe-Vera/dp/B007T48LH4) for $12.96, but I think it was closer to $5 or $6 in the store. Whole Foods, Sprouts, or Sunflower Market should have it as well.

earthybee
July 15th, 2013, 05:15 PM
I tried this last night with DermOrganic's daily hydrating conditioner honey and aloe. It was perfect, my hair feels great!

Wildcat Diva
July 15th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Does anyone have any application tips? Mine came out very runny and I pretty much just scooped it up with my hands and put it on from the ends to the scalp, but it was messy. Maybe I could put it in a haircolor application bottle next time.

I use the haircolor application bottle for sure, and here's my application tip.

Start with dry, that's right, dry hair. Add some SMT to some strands, smooth and stroke it into your hair, do another strand, load your hair up. (This can get messy, so sorry). Then I add a cheap plastic cap, and sometimes a bandanna and go about my afternoon cleaning (yeah, right!... I'm surfing LHC!). I'm blessed with an electric heating cap, so I use this feature as well at this point. I add an absorbent cloth on my neck to catch the drips which are bound to happen for me.

oatmealpie
July 15th, 2013, 05:59 PM

I recommend the Generic Value Product (GVP) version of Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm from Sally's (http://www.sallybeauty.com/conditioning-balm/SBS-264074,default,pd.html). It's nice and thick, so it won't run. Putting on a shower cap (I got a package of 8 at the dollar store) will also help contain drips.

kidari
July 15th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Where does everyone buy their aloe gel? I'm having a ridiculous time finding any online for a decent price, and anything in town is green.

I bought my Fruit of the Earth aloe from drugstore.com (I'm in the US) and it was the much larger size with a pump in a 2 pack.

Anje
July 15th, 2013, 09:06 PM

Fruit of the Earth tends to be common around here, and it's what I use. I get mine from Walmart; look in the lotion and skincare section rather than with the sunblock or in the pharmacy if you go that route.

layla<33
July 15th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Any ideas on how I might incorperate shea butter into the mix? I whip my own shea butter with vitamin E and id like to try that in my SMT.

bradlea
July 16th, 2013, 05:46 AM

I found mine at GNC, the vitamin store! I couldn't find it anywhere and was glad I thought to check there before making the long trip to Whole Foods. They had aloe juice and aloe gel, and a few different brands and many different sizes. I can't remember how much it cost exactly, but it was reasonable, based on the other prices I've seen on this thread.

I use the haircolor application bottle for sure, and here's my application tip.

Start with dry, that's right, dry hair. Add some SMT to some strands, smooth and stroke it into your hair, do another strand, load your hair up. (This can get messy, so sorry). Then I add a cheap plastic cap, and sometimes a bandanna and go about my afternoon cleaning (yeah, right!... I'm surfing LHC!). I'm blessed with an electric heating cap, so I use this feature as well at this point. I add an absorbent cloth on my neck to catch the drips which are bound to happen for me.

I recommend the Generic Value Product (GVP) version of Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm from Sally's (http://www.sallybeauty.com/conditioning-balm/SBS-264074,default,pd.html). It's nice and thick, so it won't run. Putting on a shower cap (I got a package of 8 at the dollar store) will also help contain drips.

Thanks to both of you! I did it on dry hair, but just because I was too lazy to get my hair wet first. (Wow, now that I type that out, I'm realizing just how incredibly lazy that is.) I'm gonna try your guys' tips next time! :]

gingerclip
July 16th, 2013, 12:46 PM
I did my first SMT last week. First I did a clarifying shampoo. I realized after I started applying to goop that my hair was waaaay too wet still, and it ended up being pretty drippy. Thankfully my shower cap is really tight so there wasn't too much dripping down my neck. What did drip was sticky from the honey, so that was a little weird. Since I also used coconut scented conditioner, it was hard to resist the urge to wipe up the drip and then lick my finger. LOL

My hair is definitely softer and I've been able to go even longer than usual without washing (normally every 4 days, but it's been 5 already.) I don't know if that's from clarifying or the SMT. Also, I've noticed that I can see all my split ends now. That was a little disconcerting. But let's be honest, they were already there. I just hadn't noticed them before.

I made a double batch, so I plan to do it again this weekend.

battles
July 16th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Thanks! I found some at CVS. :D

Before next wash I'm definitely going to do another SMT.

battles
July 17th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Ick. I just mixed an SMT with Tresemme Naturals and the texture is kind of disgusting. I'm hoping it turns out okay and doesn't leave anything in my hair, but I'm definitely picking up a few bottles of v05. I always get really great results when I use really cheap, runny conditioner.

Edit: Yep. Not using this one again. It looks like I have really horrible dandruff.

teddygirl
July 17th, 2013, 06:56 PM
Ive been doing some modified smts lately, and noticed a big differennce. I dont use any humectants because its uber dry where i live, but i add a bit of extra olive oil instead.

alexis917
July 17th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Found out this works really nicely with Neutrogenas Triple Moisture Deep Condish!
Tempted to try it with my new Organix Coconut Milk conditioner....it would smell amazing.

lulana
July 18th, 2013, 02:02 AM
I did a SMT yesterday when i went swimming. I watered my hair, put the mixture on and secured it with a flexi, i didn't need all of the mixture, is it ok if i let it stay in the bottle till next time i go swimming or will it decay?
the result was just perfect so i hope that the next time it will work the same way :D

isbmlamloi
July 18th, 2013, 09:50 PM
I just did an SMT using aloe directly from an aloe plant, and my hair feels AMAZING. The conditioner I used was VO5 Tea Therapy. The aloe definitely made the SMT mixture feel more ... stretchy? Like melted cheese that makes long strings when you try to pull it apart? But wow, the results are amazing.

Anje
July 19th, 2013, 09:00 AM
I did a SMT yesterday when i went swimming. I watered my hair, put the mixture on and secured it with a flexi, i didn't need all of the mixture, is it ok if i let it stay in the bottle till next time i go swimming or will it decay?
the result was just perfect so i hope that the next time it will work the same way :D
I've kept it an embarassingly long time (forgot about it sitting it a tupperware) and it was OK, but I can't actually endorse doing that. After all, you've diluted the preservatives and added sugar to a nice watery solution. Mold and bacteria could love it.

ejking2
July 19th, 2013, 09:44 AM
I keep my leftover SMT mixture in the refrigerator just in case.

ExpectoPatronum
July 20th, 2013, 05:02 PM
I don't have any aloe gel (yet), so I substituted it for olive oil because my hair likes olive oil deep treatments.

All I can say right now is WOW. My hair is incredibly soft and shiny! Even the frizz is half of what it usually is. I can't wait to see the results I'll get when I can get my hands on some aloe gel!

For reference:
I put it in my hair, focusing at the ends. Then I put in in a bun and secured it with a claw clip. I put on a shower cap and then made a turban with a towel to hold in even more heat. I let it sit for maybe three hours before I showered.

I know it says in the directions to not wash, but I had to. I showered normally, but the end result was way softer hair!

Juniper.
July 21st, 2013, 05:31 AM
I did my first SMT last week and all I can do is echo everyone else. Wow! I also added a little olive oil to the mix and once I had applied it I put my hair into a bun and put on a shower cap. I left the mixture on for about 1.5 hours and when I washed it out...oh the softness! The softness was incredible. Someone mentioned that the smell of the conditioner lasted for ages and I noticed that too. I could still smell the conditioner 4 days later.

I'll definitely be doing this treatment again (probably every few weeks or so).

Medievalmaniac
July 21st, 2013, 02:52 PM
For those recently worrying about where to find clear aloe -- I got desperate and bought the green stuff when I could NOT find the clear in town, and have been using it since to finish the bottle, and I honestly have not noticed a difference in the results, so I think in a pinch the green is fine.

Temme
August 22nd, 2013, 06:59 PM
Anybody still on this thread? I'm interested in trying an SMT but have some questions. First, I don't want the honey to lighten my hair. I understand that microwaving it first cancels this effect. Would it be alright if I microwaved it then let it cool to room temperature before applying it to my hair? I don't really like applying anything with heat to my hair because of damage. Also, I was hoping to do this treatment overnight, but I think I would have trouble keeping a shower cap on my head. I usually sleep with a sleep cap, but I don't know. How do you keep your hair contained overnight? Thanks!

Temme
August 22nd, 2013, 07:06 PM
Also, how long should I microwave it to ensure my hair will not be lightened? Is leaving it on overnight to long to make sure my hair doesn't get lighter? I'm asking because I suppose lightening your hair with honey would be damaging like any dye, right?

ejking2
August 22nd, 2013, 07:12 PM
I think you only microwave the honey for 15 seconds or so. It's not long enough to make it hot.

I wouldn't recommend leaving SMT on your hair overnight. It might do more harm than good. Leaving your hair wet for a long time causes the protein in your hair to lose its structural integrity. I think the best effect from deep treatments is achieved at 30-45 minutes.