PDA

View Full Version : Hair dryer suggestions?

muddblood21
November 10th, 2014, 08:54 AM
So, with winter coming to Oklahoma pretty much this week, I realized I might need a new hair dryer. The one I have works okay, but the "cool setting" is actually just a trigger I have to hold down in order to get air that is not heated. I usually end up using the "warm" setting to save my finger some pain. The warm setting is not hot by any means and is likely a hair safe temp, but I have finally broken up with higher heat and I don't want to slip back into a cycle where I use high heat on the regular. Does anyone have a recommendation for a dryer with a cool setting I don't have to hold down? OR Is a cool setting even necessary if my current warm setting is not uncomfortable to skin?

allierat
November 10th, 2014, 09:11 AM
Every dryer I've ever used has a cool button that has to be held down, I always wondered why they make them like that rather than making just a cool setting! I would just use the warm setting, I do and as you said it's a comfortable temperature so I would think it would be fine. A few days back I saw someone post temperatures that they took from using a hair dryer, they didn't seem all that high really.

jeanniet
November 10th, 2014, 09:28 AM
I have a Revlon dryer I got at Target about a year ago. It has hot-warm-cool plus the cold shot button, and then high-low speed. I don't know what model it is, and maybe they don't make this model anymore because they change all the time, but try checking at Target or Walmart to see if there's other Revlon models that might work. It's a decent enough dryer, although honestly I never use the cool setting because it takes too long for my hair to dry as it is. I use hot and warm settings with a diffuser, but really only for about 5 minutes just to help take the soaking wet off.

diddiedaisy
November 10th, 2014, 10:24 AM
I have a tresemme dryer with 3 settings. Cold, Luke warm and hot. It also has a cols shot button, not sure why as it's got the cold setting.

lapushka
November 10th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Just have a look around and see. The things you need to look out for are:

- cool shot button
- separate temperature setting (multiple preferably)
- separate speed setting (multiple preferably)
- diffuser attachement (it's just a bonus)

kelseyxface
November 10th, 2014, 03:04 PM
My mother just bought a hair dryer that has a cool setting you can switch to, not one to be held down. I think now a days they're easy to find - I'd say try Target or Walmart and if not there you can find anything on Amazon and Ebay. :P

Anje
November 10th, 2014, 03:10 PM
The one I've had for several years now has separate hot-warm-cool and high-low-off sliders on it. I looked for that specifically (even though I really don't use the thing that often anyway). Realistically, you just gotta go hunting around in the stores -- they do exist. :) Mine was probably a $10-$15 Walmart one.

Failing that, I'll bet a shop vac with the hose stuck in the output side would do the same thing. :lol:

Entangled
November 10th, 2014, 06:32 PM
My hair dryer has the button and a switch-cool setting. They work the same, so I have no idea why there are two identical settings but two ways to trigger it, but I'm not complaining!

CurlyCap
November 11th, 2014, 07:00 PM
I posted in the Conventional Products forum about the YouReel I just bought. That should be enough for a search. Out and about now but can post link later.

kidari
November 11th, 2014, 07:04 PM
I have one with a cool/warm/hot setting as well as a low/medium/high speed with the cool shot button... the cool setting is not exactly cold air but it is definitely not warm/hot for sure. It's a Babyliss I got for a good deal on Amazon... I always used Conair and Revlon dryers in the past but this one is nicer for sure. Lighter weight, quieter, and dries faster.

heyitsmiriam
November 22nd, 2014, 09:58 PM
Tossed my old drier in the summer...traded it out for the Remington T-Studio blow dryer...best decision ever! It has a cool setting (no holding down needed), but for an extra icy blast, it has the option. :)

betterhairday
November 23rd, 2014, 05:15 AM
So, with winter coming to Oklahoma pretty much this week, I realized I might need a new hair dryer. The one I have works okay, but the "cool setting" is actually just a trigger I have to hold down in order to get air that is not heated. I usually end up using the "warm" setting to save my finger some pain. The warm setting is not hot by any means and is likely a hair safe temp, but I have finally broken up with higher heat and I don't want to slip back into a cycle where I use high heat on the regular. Does anyone have a recommendation for a dryer with a cool setting I don't have to hold down? OR Is a cool setting even necessary if my current warm setting is not uncomfortable to skin?

I understand that most professional hair dryers work this way. I have a Karmin Salon Series Ultralight Professional Ionic Hair Dryer. This has a cool shot button you need to hold and press, this is used by many professionals when drying the hair. If I want constant cold air, the hair dryer also has a cold feature so I can turn the hair dryer on with cold air, warm air and hot air. It only weighs 12ozs so working with your long hair will not give you arm ache. Hope this helps.

betterhairday
December 6th, 2014, 05:15 AM

My hair dryer has a cool shot button that I hold down (I believe all salon professional ones have this) but it also has 3 heat settings, a cool setting being one of them http://www.karminhairtools.com/karmin-salon-series-ultralight-professional-ionic-hair-dryer.html