PDA

View Full Version : So I have a really BAD hair cut.

gustavonut
October 12th, 2014, 12:24 PM
And it's my fault!shudder:

I trimmed it a couple times lately and oh my god. Thanks to my layers, it looks even more unhealthy and greasy! It's a disaster.

When I say bad cut, I mean BADDD. The bangs I used to have just hang there, can't tuck them behind my ears now. :'( And to top it all off, my hair isn't straight, wavy or curly, it's just...well, me. The ends don't curl, they bend like fish hooks. So of course I didn't know how to cut that sh*t. Some pieces of hair are longer than others, I didn't even notice it till I took a picture..

Right now my hair is between shoulder length and short length. I can't tell because the front is shorter than the back, ugh!!

What do you guys think I should do? Let it grow out or have a salon "trim" the rest off?

Help is very much appreciated!

embee
October 12th, 2014, 12:41 PM
Some times you just have to grow it out. Like people with a mullet or pixie or bangs, it's really hard to fix it and still grow, so there's this "hideous" stage where nothing seems to be right and it's so discouraging. But if you can push through that, it will be long enough to do something with.

Many of us have been there, the path is well traveled. ;)

Clarkie
October 12th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Is it long enough to put up into any kind of updo so that you could just wear it up for a while until it grows a bit more? I've got unwanted bangs and layers too and I'm just growing all that out. I still have to pin my bangs back because they are too long to be bangs (tip of my nose length) but too short to go into my bun.
I know its tempting to go and have it trimmed to one length but maybe think about it for a while first. ((hug))

dogzdinner
October 12th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Might be worth getting it tidied up professionally now, so you can grow it from a better startpoint.
I would say though before you do anything ask someone you trust if it truly is as bad as you think! Sometimes what we think is mad bag lady hair actually isnt that bad after all!

tokugawa.miyako
October 12th, 2014, 12:50 PM
That really sucks. I think I kind of know how you feel; my hair (especially the ends) does weird things at that length too. Parting your hair differently or sweeping your bangs to the side if possible might help with that problem. Pulling your hair back if might make it look less awkward. Even pinning the sides back if possible might help a little. Just remember, this state is only temporary. If you can stand it, try waiting a little longer before cutting it. It will grow past this awkward stage.

gustavonut
October 12th, 2014, 12:50 PM
Is it long enough to put up into any kind of updo so that you could just wear it up for a while until it grows a bit more? I've got unwanted bangs and layers too and I'm just growing all that out. I still have to pin my bangs back because they are too long to be bangs (tip of my nose length) but too short to go into my bun.
I know its tempting to go and have it trimmed to one length but maybe think about it for a while first. ((hug))

You see though, I can't do any updos besides a pony tail, because my hair sticks out all over the place. And ponytails cause damage (that's what I heard at least, correct me if I'm wrong..)
My hair is in pretty good condition in my opinion. It feels very soft to the touch but looks like a greasy mop in person, ew!
But anyway! Sure, I'll just let it grow a bit more and see how it goes heh.. I am going to start the inversion method this coming week, so maybe that will add a little bit of growth!

kittenface
October 12th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Oh, I've been there. It was a pretty long time ago, but I HAVE BEEN THERE. Don't panic. What I did was I went to the hairdresser, and they evened out the hemline and cut my hair into a sort of bob hairstyle that was just a tiny bit shorter than my hair was after that disastrous self-cut. They were very nice about it and I ended up liking that haircut a lot, and it made me feel a lot better about my hair as it grew out than I thought I would. Of course, if you want to leave it as is, it will probably look a lot better in just a few months time, so if you think you can deal with that then that's absolutely an option as well.

gustavonut
October 12th, 2014, 12:54 PM
That really sucks. I think I kind of know how you feel; my hair (especially the ends) does weird things at that length too. Parting your hair differently or sweeping your bangs to the side if possible might help with that problem. Pulling your hair back if might make it look less awkward. Even pinning the sides back if possible might help a little. Just remember, this state is only temporary. If you can stand it, try waiting a little longer before cutting it. It will grow past this awkward stage.

Alright, I didn't want it to be cut anyway. The only reason I would cut it is to get rid of the layers. (I cannot stand these cursed horrible layers, ahhhhh!)
I just wonder how long this will take :/ I'll wear it in a loose ponytail more often and maybe wear a headband to pull back the bangs. :) thanks for the help

Oh, I've been there. It was a pretty long time ago, but I HAVE BEEN THERE. Don't panic. What I did was I went to the hairdresser, and they evened out the hemline and cut my hair into a sort of bob hairstyle that was just a tiny bit shorter than my hair was after that disastrous self-cut. They were very nice about it and I ended up liking that haircut a lot, and it made me feel a lot better about my hair as it grew out than I thought I would. Of course, if you want to leave it as is, it will probably look a lot better in just a few months time, so if you think you can deal with that then that's absolutely an option as well.

Well I still want to keep the length I worked for, so I will wait to get it cut. NO MORE SELF TRIMS! Maybe an occasional s&d but that's it. I'm also going to try the inversion method, so let's see how that will go!

fiğrildi
October 12th, 2014, 01:38 PM
You could do this kind of bun, until your hair has grown a couple inches, and you can fix the cut: http://youtu.be/2rK7xYvxW74
The girl in the video has shoulder length hair. If you skip the part where she backcombs her hair (why on earth is she doing that??), I think the result looks quite good.

It would be more helpful if you uploaded a picture, so that we could see and give you more accurate suggestions. Sometimes, we tend to think of a bad haircut as something much worse than it really is :wink:
Patience, hair will grow back, and layers will grow back too :)

spidermom
October 12th, 2014, 01:42 PM
I would bend forward, brush my hair to hang toward my feet, put a ponytail at the very top-center of my head, then trim off any twigs of hair that don't flow with the rest. If you're going to have layers, better they flow evenly rather than looking all jagged and weird. You don't have to lose any length this way; you'll just neaten up the flow.

Again - only trim off any odd twigs of hair that are longer than the rest.

ooglipoo
October 12th, 2014, 01:54 PM
That's a great cut, spider-mom, like the compact cut method. It works well on many lengths of hair, if you like that layered look, which I need to keep my hair from being too large.

Gustavonut, there are some lengths you just have to power through. I can think of a myriad of ways different people here have chosen to deal with their horrid length... like you mentioned, head band/pony tail combo, head scarves, combs, jaw clips, bobby pins, beanies, etc. Kinda like a put it up and forget it kinda deal.

gustavonut
October 12th, 2014, 02:02 PM
You could do this kind of bun, until your hair has grown a couple inches, and you can fix the cut: http://youtu.be/2rK7xYvxW74
The girl in the video has shoulder length hair. If you skip the part where she backcombs her hair (why on earth is she doing that??), I think the result looks quite good.

It would be more helpful if you uploaded a picture, so that we could see and give you more accurate suggestions. Sometimes, we tend to think of a bad haircut as something much worse than it really is :wink:
Patience, hair will grow back, and layers will grow back too :)
The girl in the video looks like Cameron Diaz haha! That was really a helpful tutorial. You made me feel instantly better about growing my length back. Thank you!
Also, I will try to get a picture up tomorrow, since it's my wash day tomorrow.

ETA:

spidermom:Alright, should I try it after I wash my hair or no? I could do it right now since I have nothing better to do.

ETA2:

That's a great cut, spider-mom, like the compact cut method. It works well on many lengths of hair, if you like that layered look, which I need to keep my hair from being too large.

Gustavonut, there are some lengths you just have to power through. I can think of a myriad of ways different people here have chosen to deal with their horrid length... like you mentioned, head band/pony tail combo, head scarves, combs, jaw clips, bobby pins, beanies, etc. Kinda like a put it up and forget it kinda deal.

Benign neglect, exactly. Ooh I'm so happy to finally know what to do with my hair, thanks to everyone on LHC!

fiğrildi
October 12th, 2014, 02:10 PM
The girl in the video looks like Cameron Diaz haha! That was really a helpful tutorial. You made me feel instantly better about growing my length back. Thank you!
Also, I will try to get a picture up tomorrow, since it's my wash day tomorrow.

You're welcome :flower:
I'm glad that I made you feel better!
Looking forward to seeing the picture :thumbsup:

fairy_hair
October 12th, 2014, 03:45 PM
Keep growing! All will be well! Try out updos if you don't like your hair down at this stage :)

lapushka
October 12th, 2014, 03:51 PM
I'd second micro-trimming as well. This way you keep up with growth somewhat, at least.

aspartame gram
October 12th, 2014, 05:40 PM
I had to grow out a mullet once, after a hair stylist didn't understand what "short and edgy" meant... She was an older woman who wasn't used to those type of requests. There were so many awful layers that I couldn't even put it into a ponytail--when I did try it looked like a sliver of hair was poking out. Very depressing.

After growing out a pixie cut and the mullet mess I can suggest Dutch braids and French braids. You just braid the sides and then bobby pin the ends. If your hair is long enough, you can put the ends up into your already braided hair. It looks great! :) Hang in there, everyone has given great advice and I'm hoping some of it will help.

McFearless
October 12th, 2014, 06:21 PM
Hair often grows unevenly so time should help all lengths blend more. Put away your scissors and ignore your hair for at least a year before re-evaluating.

gustavonut
October 12th, 2014, 08:43 PM
I had to grow out a mullet once, after a hair stylist didn't understand what "short and edgy" meant... She was an older woman who wasn't used to those type of requests. There were so many awful layers that I couldn't even put it into a ponytail--when I did try it looked like a sliver of hair was poking out. Very depressing.

After growing out a pixie cut and the mullet mess I can suggest Dutch braids and French braids. You just braid the sides and then bobby pin the ends. If your hair is long enough, you can put the ends up into your already braided hair. It looks great! :) Hang in there, everyone has given great advice and I'm hoping some of it will help.

Oh jeez, that's why I'm done with salons completely. I've had enough disasters in the past!
And good thing I love French braids :D!

aspartame gram
October 12th, 2014, 09:30 PM
Not all salons are bad! There was this one stylist who was simply amazing. I requested a cut with not very many layers, if any, because I'm a wash and go girl and was growing it out at the time (pre-henna disaster). It was a glorious cut. It looked fantastic regardless. Of course, she moved to New Zealand! :(

Let us know how things are turning out! And aren't French braids wonderful? :D Just grab some bobby pins and you'll have great hairstyles until it starts to grow out more. ^_^

Fufu
October 13th, 2014, 02:32 AM
I had a really bad cut too before.

It was so bad, I can't even tie it up.
So I actually went to the salon and let the stylist helped me to re-trim.
Got a shorter hair, but I was happier at least I can grow my hair in peace. This was like 8 to 9 years ago.

I have grown out pixie, asymmetrical bob. If it's really very bad, I will choose to go to a professional to salvage.

Gertrude
October 13th, 2014, 07:00 AM
I would say that if you can make a ponytail, you can use a claw clip. There are so many now, not very expensive, that look very, very good. I see lots of them on the ladies with business careers in the huge offices near me.

My instinct would be put it up and away and review the situation well down the line.Well down it.........

gustavonut
October 13th, 2014, 04:14 PM
You're welcome :flower:
I'm glad that I made you feel better!
Looking forward to seeing the picture :thumbsup:

I took a picture today with a French braid in. It's on my profile. I may take a picture of it after I take the braid out later today. But if not, I'll take a picture my next (shampoo and conditioner) wash day! Which is in 3 days.

ooglipoo
October 13th, 2014, 04:18 PM
Don't forget the double dutch braids or double french braids! And lace braids across the front for accent. :D

lapushka
October 13th, 2014, 04:38 PM
I took a picture today with a French braid in. It's on my profile. I may take a picture of it after I take the braid out later today. But if not, I'll take a picture my next (shampoo and conditioner) wash day! Which is in 3 days.

Cute braid! :D

gustavonut
October 13th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Don't forget the double dutch braids or double french braids! And lace braids across the front for accent. :D

The only one I've ever done is french, I'll look these ones up! Thanks for the suggestions :)

gustavonut
October 13th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Cute braid! :D

I'm glad you like it! Another braid done by my momma, haha. ;)

spidermom
October 13th, 2014, 05:26 PM
Nicely done braid.

fiğrildi
October 13th, 2014, 05:34 PM
That braid looks fantastic :)
Well done!