PDA

View Full Version : Where do you put here hair while it dries?

Nadine <3
May 18th, 2014, 08:56 PM
This might just be my stupidest question yet, but where do you put your hair when it's wet? I don't like to brush it out because it frizzes and I loose my wave and that makes me sad. so I usually end up with wet hair for 2 hours and it likes to get smashed between my back and whatever I'm sitting on. It isnt long enough to drape over anything, but it's just long enough to get my shoulder and back pretty wet. What do you do with your wet hair?

mouse2cat
May 18th, 2014, 09:00 PM
For me anything that is out of the way really prevents it from drying. I'll drape a towel over my shoulders but often I will just wash my hair before I go to bed and then let it dry while I sleep..

woodswanderer
May 18th, 2014, 09:10 PM
I just squeeze the excess water out gently with my hands and let it hang down my back. I finger comb to get it to dry faster.. I try not to worry about a wet spot.

MINAKO
May 18th, 2014, 09:11 PM
I towel dry, shake my head a few times while applying body lotion and doing other stuff, leave it down for like 15 more minutes and then it's actually ready for LOC and goes up in a bun. It takes a few Hours for it to dry this way and the bun stays damp inside for half a day but it does dry faster than i remember it did a couple of years ago when it was shorter, but my routine was all different then.

Larki
May 18th, 2014, 09:15 PM
I wrap my hair in a towel for a couple minutes until I'm dressed, then I let it out of the towel and pull it over my shoulders, split in half. Once it's mostly dry, I brush it and put in leave-in conditioner. My hair takes just over an hour to dry completely.

Dessi
May 18th, 2014, 09:43 PM
I towel dry it, shake my head a few times and leave it hanging on my back for at least 4 hours until it's finally dry.

neko_kawaii
May 18th, 2014, 10:06 PM
It depends on what else needs to be done. I gently squeeze the water out and wrap it in a towel while I dress. Then it might be straight to a bun or braid, or left down my back to dry. It takes about an hour to dry completely. I might let it dry totally, or put it up damp. Really depends on if it is getting in the way of what needs to be done. Sometimes I'll sit on the porch so it will dry faster if there is something I can do like read while sitting.

Weewah
May 18th, 2014, 10:08 PM
I sit up and don't lean on anything, I just have it hanging down my back or over my shoulder if I must lean on something

FallingDarkness
May 18th, 2014, 10:24 PM
Depends. If I wash before I sleep, then I put my hair into two braids and hope it's mostly dry by morning.
If otherwise I just baby it while it air dries, trying to let it not get caught between my back and other things, etc. No matter what, my hair takes a looooooong time to dry. 4 hours when it is loose, and around 12 when it's in two braids. Not that bad I guess, but it's not that long yet, either.

Islandgrrl
May 18th, 2014, 10:25 PM
I wrap it in a towel while I get dressed, then shake it out with my head upside down. Then it gets hopefully damp bunned, but usually wet bunned. I'll try to take it out for a few minutes a couple times a day to help it dry, but it often ends up really drying inside my sleep cap overnight.

RainbowBowser
May 18th, 2014, 11:51 PM
I wrap my hair in a tshirt from soaking wet till dampness (like, 1 hour? its quicker with cotton) then just leave it down.

Simone_Fatale
May 19th, 2014, 12:14 AM
I wrap my hair in a towel for a couple minutes until I'm dressed, then I let it out of the towel and pull it over my shoulders, split in half. Once it's mostly dry, I brush it and put in leave-in conditioner. My hair takes just over an hour to dry completely.
My routine is exactly the same, just without brushing.

midbackorbust
May 19th, 2014, 12:15 AM
I go to bed right after I shower so I just towel dry then braid and it's only slightly damp by the morning.

MungoMania
May 19th, 2014, 12:36 AM
I wash and conditioner in the morning then part it and let it totally air dry hanging down my back while I do my morning exercises.

HintOfMint
May 19th, 2014, 01:03 AM
I'll towel-dry as much as possible, perhaps keep it in a turban for a little bit. Then, after shaking it out a bit, I'll put it in a bun on top of my head. Later, I'll take it down and it'll be just damp to the point where it will be dry in about an hour.

I LOATHE having wet hair on my body, and frankly, if I leave it loose and uncombed as it's drying, it will form the most wicked tangles that are nigh impossible to remove. So yes, I comb when it's wet (it just glides through, so I'm not being rough) and I put it up.

Panth
May 19th, 2014, 01:13 AM
I put it in a turban with a (regular, terry-cloth bath) towel until it stops dripping (10 mins ish?). Then I drape it over/across my shoulders. If I'm not in a dressing gown, I put the towel I used for turbanning over my shoulders to protect my clothes. Alternatively, I just bung it all in my sleep stocking and go to bed (the sleep stocking prevents the worst of the weird dried-in shapes around the scalp). Sometimes I'll wet bun it (nautilus) but I rarely wet braid it as that causes super-frizz and weird dry/tangly/rough hair for me.

Sometimes I'll comb it out when it's still quite wet, other times I'll wait until it's completely dry.

I'm not sure how long it takes to dry as I usually let it dry overnight.

LMB
May 19th, 2014, 02:16 AM
I wash in the morning and will put it up to dry in a t-shirt.

I don't like wet hair hanging down my back so I will blow dry the canopy (on cool) and then damp bun/plait.

If I am wearing it wavy then I will blow dry the canopy and put it in a pony (I am mid-back, but waves plus high pony means that mostly the ends graze my neck/shoulders and they usually dry pretty quick so no worries about feeling wet hair on my back) I will either leave it like that all day, take it down when dry or fix it back into bun/braid depending what I am doing when my hair is dry.

florenonite
May 19th, 2014, 04:01 AM
Well, my hair takes around six hours to dry, and it doesn't like being put up while wet (makes it greasy), so I put it up in a towel for fifteen minutes or so, take it down, fingercomb it out, and just deal with wet hair down my back for the rest of the day :shrug: Sometimes I blow-dry on cool-warm for five or ten minutes, which cuts my drying time by a couple of hours (I don't have the patience to blow-dry all the way). The amount of time it takes to dry, plus the fact I have to wash every other day, is definitely what I like least about long hair.

gus
May 19th, 2014, 04:12 AM
I always wash my hair at night and put it up in curlers after about half an hour of air-drying; sometimes if it's still damp in the morning I'll sit under the soft bonnet for a half-hour or so. And voila! Perfect curls without having to deal with a damp back and shoulders!

Bagginslover
May 19th, 2014, 04:23 AM
Towel turban for half an hour, turing the towel over half way through for better drying. buy then its about half dry, so I add my leave-in usually an oil, but sometimes and Aussie spray), brush through carefully, turn my head upside down and shake. Then mostly leave alone to dry, I might turn my head over and finger comb it upwards a few times for volumes if I'm at home, but if I'm at work I don't bother. after coming out of the turban, it takes about an hour to dry if I'm moving about.

lapushka
May 19th, 2014, 05:39 AM
It gets pinned up at the sides and front (curly girl drying method), and so it's out of my face, at least. The rest just air dries (after it's been in a turbie towel for 15 to 20 min.) for 1h to 1h and 30 min. before it gets diffused (5 minutes). And then: it's dry! Yay.

momschicklets
May 19th, 2014, 05:46 AM
I scrunch out as much water as I can with a cotton t-shirt, clip the sides away from my face and let it air-dry down my back. My hair takes between 2 and 3 hours to dry completely and it's only a bit past collarbone length. If I'm in a hurry I might flip my head over and diffuse a bit with cool air to speed things up.

Brynja
May 19th, 2014, 07:15 AM
i'm really careful with my wet hair,I don't squeeze it,just pat it with a dry towel,i live alone so i go around half naked so water won't drip on my shirt :cool: I finger comb it and then brush it when it's almost dry. I try not to sit in any chairs,or at least sit straight so that my hair won't get on the back of the chair. I don't really like braiding or putting up my wet hair because i'm afraid that it will break more easily.

Johannah
May 19th, 2014, 07:27 AM
I wrap it in a towel for 5 - 10 minutes, and just wear it down until it's almost dry. Then I use an anti-klit spray with argan oil and I comb it through with a wide tooth comb.

meteor
May 19th, 2014, 10:06 AM
I have to wear it down for at least an hour after I wash (or else it will never dry in a bun), so I just put an ordinary towel over my shoulders while I'm drip-drying my hair. I'm sure silk would work better to avoid mechanical damage, but silk is not absorbent enough. Are there any smooth materials that are actually absorbent? Those would probably work best for drying hair!

swearnsue
May 19th, 2014, 10:15 AM
I have 4 turbie twists that I use one after the other, each staying on for about 10 minutes. The last one I made myself out of an old cotton nightshirt and I leave that one on for maybe a half hour. After all that my hair is just damp and I clip it up on top of my head.

I hate cold wet hair on my neck and back!

PrincessPhoebe
May 19th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Wrapped up in one of my ancient Aquis hair towels for about 10 minutes then combed through. Then it just hangs around until dry - it isn't still damp enough to drip at this stage. Loose braid or bun if I have to go out. I tried the not combing until dry method but it made my scalp feel horrible.

DweamGoiL
May 19th, 2014, 10:51 AM
For me, it depends how I want to wear it (wavy or straightish). Either way, I turban it for a good 10 minutes while I get dressed and then I mix a small amount of Monoi Oil and a light gel. If wearing it wavy, I will simply apply the Monoi and gel mix from roots to ends and style it in a really loose half up with a generously sized plastic claw closer to my forehead rather than the back of my head and make sure the front gets as much air between the roots as possible. It's fluffly at front while it dries. This adds volume once it's dry. The rest of the hair gets scrunched for a minute or two and then I drape it if I am sitting or just sit in front of a fan and let nature do its thing.

It takes about a good 1.5-2 hrs to dry this way so if I am close to bedtime, I will just pineapple it on top of my head with a scrunci and pack everything in a Loc Soc and drape the Loc Soc with the hair over my pillow on top of my head so it gets as much circulation as possible.

If I want to wear it straighter and sleeker, and this is pretty rare since I am in love with my waves ;) , I will loosely damp bun it on top of my head (kinda like what the Sikh men do, but no head covering). It takes a lot longer to dry like this, but once it does, it is shinny and sleek.

Larki
May 19th, 2014, 10:53 AM
I have to wear it down for at least an hour after I wash (or else it will never dry in a bun), so I just put an ordinary towel over my shoulders while I'm drip-drying my hair. I'm sure silk would work better to avoid mechanical damage, but silk is not absorbent enough. Are there any smooth materials that are actually absorbent? Those would probably work best for drying hair!
Jersey cloth - what t-shirts are made out of. You can buy it by the yard.

nobeltonya
May 19th, 2014, 11:18 AM
I either wet bun or braid for 2-3 hours at least.. it turns out weird if I just let it air dry loose. :disco:

meteor
May 19th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Jersey cloth - what t-shirts are made out of. You can buy it by the yard.
Thank you! :) I can't believe I forgot about that. I already use t-shirts to pat-dry my hair a bit and I think I'll wear a t-shirt and put one over my shoulders while air-drying hair.

darklyndsea
May 19th, 2014, 11:58 AM
I squeeze out some of the excess water so it isn't constantly dripping. Then I drape it over the back of my towel-covered chair and stay there for ~6 hours. If it's not too cold, I turn on the ceiling fan in the hope that it'll make my hair dry slightly faster.

mira-chan
May 19th, 2014, 12:36 PM
I wash int he evening, and it goes into a microfiber towel after wash to get the worst drips out and then dries just down my back mostly and finishes drying during sleep, thrown over the pillow. It's finally long enough to stay there.

Sharysa
May 19th, 2014, 01:06 PM
I damp braid it after oiling so I don't get tangles, and it also helps enhance my waves. I also like to time my washes in the evening so I can sleep on my braids instead of wandering around for half a day with perpetually damp hair; my hair is the kind where it gets half dry fairly quickly, but it stays damp for another few hours unless it's warm weather.

If I had to leave my hair loose after a wash, it would probably mat up and I wouldn't be able to do anything productive because it's so thick and it gets everywhere.

jacqueline101
May 19th, 2014, 02:12 PM
I squeeze out the excess water, detangle, and put on my turbie towel. Then I detangle again and leave it loose.

ashke50
May 19th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Usually I wash my hair before bed, let it drip dry over my dressing gown or a towel for a bit, then plait it and put it over my pillow to sleep. If I've washed it during the day I'll most often keep the dressing gown on or a towel round my shoulders till it dries. Except yesterday when it was really sunny weather so I lay my hair on a towel on the windowsill and let the sun dry it!

ReneeG
May 19th, 2014, 08:52 PM
I twist it up into an old shirt after the shower and leave it there while I put on lotion and such. Then if its right before bed I'll put it up and over my pillow so that it kind of piles up at the headboard, and it dries by morning is my nice natural waves. If its daytime I let it hang down my back, and if I have to lean against something like my desk chair I out it up over the back of the chair so that it hangs down the back and dries like that. Usually frizzier if I day wash, because moving about keeps all my waves from clumping properly.