PDA

View Full Version : Hair Dyeing Advice

Heavy Raindrops
April 27th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Hi there :)

I was thinking of dyeing my hair (fully or highlights) but not sure if it's a good idea. I have natural black hair at the moment and my eyebrows are coarse and also black. They seem to be darker than my hair colour actually. I also have medium brown eyes and beige coloured skin with a yellow undertone. I was thinking of going for dark brown but worried that it will look weird, especially with the mis-matching eyebrows. What do you guys think? :)

lapushka
April 27th, 2014, 08:08 AM
Kind of hard to tell without a picture. I say it's all up to you!

momschicklets
April 27th, 2014, 08:15 AM

I was thinking of going for dark brown but worried that it will look weird, especially with the mis-matching eyebrows. What do you guys think? :)

Actually I read somewhere that's it is completely normal to have eyebrows that are darker than your hair...it lends depth to the overall look. Mine are nearly jet black but my natural hair color is dark brown. Anyway, I agree it's hard to give color advice without a pic. :D

Heavy Raindrops
April 27th, 2014, 08:34 AM
Added a picture... hate pictures. :p

momschicklets
April 27th, 2014, 08:40 AM

I was thinking of dyeing my hair (fully or highlights) but not sure if it's a good idea. I have natural black hair at the moment and my eyebrows are coarse and also black. They seem to be darker than my hair colour actually. I also have medium brown eyes and beige coloured skin with a yellow undertone. I was thinking of going for dark brown but worried that it will look weird, especially with the mis-matching eyebrows. What do you guys think? :)

http://i.imgur.com/9HX2JGil.jpg?1 (http://imgur.com/9HX2JGi)

Well it's hard for me to see how you could improve on that! Beautiful, dramatic coloring against your sensational eyebrows. And going much lighter would require constant upkeep. I vote for keeping it natural :)

fiğrildi
April 27th, 2014, 08:46 AM
I like your black hair very much, but I think dark brown would also look great on you :) As for the eyebrows, some people naturally have much darker eyebrows than hair colour (I'm a natural blonde with dark eyebrows). Your eyebrows are beautiful by the way!

Heavy Raindrops
April 27th, 2014, 08:47 AM
Well it's hard for me to see how you could improve on that! Beautiful, dramatic coloring against your sensational eyebrows. And going much lighter would require constant upkeep. I vote for keeping it natural :)

Haha thanks, I keep going back and forth between my decision to dye my hair. :p Just something I put on my bucket list 'dye your hair at least once'.

Heavy Raindrops
April 27th, 2014, 08:51 AM
I like your black hair very much, but I think dark brown would also look great on you :) As for the eyebrows, some people naturally have much darker eyebrows than hair colour (I'm a natural blonde with dark eyebrows). Your eyebrows are beautiful by the way!

Thank you. :) I find my eyebrows a pain because one grows nicely, the other one just does weird stuff. :p

pri108
April 27th, 2014, 09:42 AM

http://i.imgur.com/9HX2JGil.jpg?1 (http://imgur.com/9HX2JGi)

i have fair skin and yellow undertone too. when i had highlighted my hair (Quite golden) the mismatch between my black eyebrows and gold hair didn't really look bad. I had never thought about it until i read your post to be honest.

MINAKO
April 27th, 2014, 10:08 AM
omg, dont do anything in terms of highlighting! I almost have the exact same complexion and hair/brow color combination and i think the stronger the contrast, the better it looks. Its not impossible but keeping up with the makeup and brows would be quiet a challenge i guess. I use indigo and blueish black tints to keep my hair from fading towards the ends. The shimmer doesnt look exactly natural but it complements this kind of skintone better then anything light i would say.

MidnightMoon
April 27th, 2014, 10:30 AM
I would keep it natural, if anything, I would add bluish black streaks (kind of highlights but with a blue black colour). My skin is lighter than yours but with a similar tone, brown eyes and dark hair too and the lighter colour I used to dye my hair only made my look darker and kinda weird...I currently dye it all blue black by using pravana vivids in blue.

Heavy Raindrops
April 27th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Thanks everyone. :) The blue/black hair sounds like a pretty cool idea actually. :o

lapushka
April 27th, 2014, 11:07 AM
I'd most certainly not go lighter. I like your natural hair a *lot*!

UltraBella
April 27th, 2014, 11:15 AM
To go lighter you will not be "dying" your hair - when you dye you deposit color. You will be lifting your natural color, which is bleaching. Bleach damage is something you have to be prepared for. A lot of your natural shine may be gone and your hair will be weaker. However, may people successfully lighten their hair with not much visible damage. I wouldn't attempt it yourself, you'll most likely need to lift past your desired color and then tone your hair to the target color. Hair as dark as yours doesn't usually lift without looking brassy and usually requires that extra step.

It would be much easier on your hair to go darker with the blue/black idea.

meteor
April 27th, 2014, 11:24 AM
I love your natural hair, it looks perfect as it is.
The only thing I can think of is something like a henna / henndigo gloss. It could give you red flares in direct sunlight. But if your hair is really 100% black, not dark brown, nothing will show on it without bleaching first. I really can't recommend bleach on long hair, because it is damaging, but if you go this route, always apply a lot of coconut oil to hair a few hours before you bleach.
Why not get a few extensions in the lighter color that you like? You will get natural looking highlights without any damage, commitment or maintenance. I'd really recommend hair extensions instead of bleached highlights.

Heavy Raindrops
April 27th, 2014, 01:19 PM
To go lighter you will not be "dying" your hair - when you dye you deposit color. You will be lifting your natural color, which is bleaching. Bleach damage is something you have to be prepared for. A lot of your natural shine may be gone and your hair will be weaker. However, may people successfully lighten their hair with not much visible damage. I wouldn't attempt it yourself, you'll most likely need to lift past your desired color and then tone your hair to the target color. Hair as dark as yours doesn't usually lift without looking brassy and usually requires that extra step.

It would be much easier on your hair to go darker with the blue/black idea.

Ah, I see. Thanks for explaining :) I didn't know that actually. And yes bleach seems like a terrible idea.

I love your natural hair, it looks perfect as it is.
The only thing I can think of is something like a henna / henndigo gloss. It could give you red flares in direct sunlight. But if your hair is really 100% black, not dark brown, nothing will show on it without bleaching first. I really can't recommend bleach on long hair, because it is damaging, but if you go this route, always apply a lot of coconut oil to hair a few hours before you bleach.
Why not get a few extensions in the lighter color that you like? You will get natural looking highlights without any damage, commitment or maintenance. I'd really recommend hair extensions instead of bleached highlights.

Yeah it's black although in the sunlight my ends appear brown I guess. :p