PDA

View Full Version : Why YOU like your hair

FallingDarkness
April 7th, 2014, 05:26 PM
Hair type, color, length, you name it! I spend way too much time complaining about how I wish my hair was longer or wavier that I realized that I didn't even appreciate how amazing it is. :( So, go for it. Why do you like your hair? What's your favorite thing about it? I like my hair because it's really thick, and even though it can be unmanageable at times, it always looks impressive in a braid. :)

Larki
April 7th, 2014, 05:30 PM
I like how versatile my hair is: it holds curls all day when I decide to do heatless curls, but all it takes is a hairbrush in the morning to make it look nearly straight enough to be flat-ironed.

momschicklets
April 7th, 2014, 05:34 PM
Well I will try to think of something since most of the time all I can think is it's not long enough, growing too slow, odd layers, etc. But I will say that my hair is nice and shiny and has natural wave that I do love :o

ARG
April 7th, 2014, 05:46 PM
I really like how it tolerates my endless experimentation. From new oils, and masks, to the endless cycle of new shampoos and conditioners, it hasn't told me "no" once.

swearnsue
April 7th, 2014, 05:50 PM
I like how if feels the first two days after washing it. It's so soft. I try not to complain about how slow it grows, and how thin it is, so this is a great thread to have so we can appreciate the hair we have.

Kina
April 7th, 2014, 05:52 PM
I like my curls and waves. I like that my hair will take whatever shape I want it in and stay that way until I do something else to it.

MadeiraD
April 7th, 2014, 05:57 PM
I love the shine my hair has, and how quickly it grows, and I like how resilient it is, and I like how it's so easy to make it wavy with a braid or bun

maliaraQs
April 7th, 2014, 06:04 PM
I like that it has its own mind. Some days it wants to lay nice with no frizz; some days it wants to be loud and big and crazy. I've learned to go with it. (though right now it's being worn up most days).

Aingeal
April 7th, 2014, 06:06 PM
I like how my hair tends to do what I ask it to. It holds buns, braids, and its curl quite well.

dellad
April 7th, 2014, 06:21 PM
I like my hair color. It is almost black, but has subtle highlights of various shades of brown and very dark red. For a long time, I wished I had jet black hair, but people with jet black hair tell me that they spend lots of time and money trying to achieve my color.

Lady Mary
April 7th, 2014, 06:23 PM
It's shiny, very soft and straight, so it's fairly easy to manage :)

stargazer616
April 7th, 2014, 06:30 PM
I like the color. It's a nice dark brownish black, but I have a few hairs that are for some reason bright red. I also really enjoy the way people react to it. There's a girl I know who is always super surprised when I have my hair down and is always saying how pretty it is, and another girl keeps telling me I have mermaid hair :) agh I love them so much.

ExpectoPatronum
April 7th, 2014, 06:37 PM
I like how resilient my hair is. It took two dye jobs in a week like a champ. I also do like how much volume my hair has naturally. It's thick, but not too thick to where it's a pain to deal with.

I also like the color now that it's dyed. My hair looks so pretty on wash day. Soft black with pretty, shiny curls.

chen bao jun
April 7th, 2014, 06:46 PM
I like how my curls can sproing. How you can pull on them and they sproing back like a spring. I like how soft it feels when its recently washed. I like that it has a lot of body. I like the color. I like how its thick so that it makes fat braids and makes me look as if I have something of a bun even though its not long.

Aderyn
April 7th, 2014, 06:48 PM
I like the texture of it - wavy, going into ringlets at the ends. I think the ringlets at the end help my hemline look thicker than it actually is, even though it's in a v-shape. I also like the volume the texture of my hair gives - otherwise my hair would just fall flat because it's so fine (it still does around the scalp) and I just don't like the way it looks on me. The taper makes it easier for me to make buns, as well. Now that I've embraced my curls, they look quite nice.

I like generally having dark hair (it's only medium-dark brown). This in conjunction with being so pale provides and interesting look which I am fond of. Wouldn't mind having my hair be a few shades darker to further emphasize that.

My hair is quite resilient - even though it's fine. I've put it through a lot of abuse in my pre-LHC days (not so much as those who regularly heat styled and colored their hair, though), though even at its worst, it was still in remarkably good condition (aside from needing a 3-inch trim). Remains soft and shiny regardless of what I do, really. I don't really worry about ingredients that I'm putting in my hair based on how I think my hair will react, because it does quite well with a large variety of ingredients (though, my scalp is a bit sensitive). My hair has a good protein-moisture balance as is, don't need to go out of my way to avoid any and all protein or have to do specific protein treatments or the like.

The thickness is nice (~4 inches, which is a lot of hair considering my hair is fine). I get the benefits of having thick hair, without a lot of the drawbacks.

kmoc123
April 7th, 2014, 06:52 PM
My hair is a spiritual thing for me. It surrounds me and keeps me warm when I am cold. It flutters around me in the wind. It carries soft scents that comfort and calm me. It is a part of ME...all 46 inches!

Brileeka
April 7th, 2014, 07:04 PM
I like how my hair has gotten so much thinner but still looks thick when worn down. and I love how my hair waves when freshly washed.

Vanilla
April 7th, 2014, 07:07 PM
I love my hair color (dark neutral blonde) that changes to more golden blonde as it goes down the length. Photographs don't quite do it justice.

I've never seen another person with quite the same hair color as me. There isn't even a box color that corresponds to my natural color, as they are completely ash or completely golden.

ladylowtide
April 7th, 2014, 07:15 PM
I like how silky it is, and how light it feels for the amount of it there is.

Allie_snowflake
April 7th, 2014, 07:24 PM
My hair has always been my favorite part of me. I've received lots of complements on it (even when I thought I was having a bad hair day!) It's always held heat & heatless curls a long time. It has just enough body that it air-dries with nice waves. I finally have a rich color with lots of shine after years of being a bottle blond because chemical dyes couldn't give me a decent color. Thanks to the henna, I'm beginning to like my weird patterns of gray (they tint nicely!) Now I just want to get back the thickness I had twenty years ago!

jupiterinleo
April 7th, 2014, 07:42 PM
I like the thickness, color, and the soft waves I get. It also hold styles extremely well. I get braid waves until my next wash.

BrendaLoan
April 7th, 2014, 07:46 PM
Nice thread! :o I like my waves and volume, the way it feels when is recently washed (so soft!), and that it is very resilient :guns:

Jumper
April 7th, 2014, 08:31 PM
I love the color, the thickness, the natural variations in color through it, I love to play with it, I love the waves/wurls...

I just love my hair.

LunaLuvsU
April 7th, 2014, 08:38 PM
I love the fact that my hair tells me very bluntly what it likes and doesnt like, I love that its really shiny, and I love its slight wave.

jacqueline101
April 7th, 2014, 08:40 PM
I love how mine has taken to being with out monist and is growing again. I like the color and shine factor too. I also like the current length. I feel like my current length is a step towards my next mini goal. I like how I'm learning new hair styles. I like how my man is starting to appreciate my long hair.

NatNat
April 7th, 2014, 08:48 PM
I like how my hair is always shiny, even on dry shampoo day :)

molljo
April 7th, 2014, 09:05 PM
I like how medium it is. It's a medium thickness, medium strands, a medium wave, and even a medium brown. It used to bother me a lot, that it was boring, but now I feel like it's balanced. Nothing about it too much or not enough for me, in any direction.

BlueRabbit
April 7th, 2014, 10:57 PM
I like how my hair transforms over my wash cycle. I wash it once a month. Instead of going limp and greasy toward the end, it goes the opposite! I start out sleek and shiny and transform into huge and curly and fluffy. Its fun to watch it change every day.

Danu
April 7th, 2014, 11:36 PM
It's patient and loyal. Always there for me, whether I neglect it, love it, cut it off, or grow it out. It waits for me, comes back to me, and forgives me.

GoldenSilk
April 7th, 2014, 11:57 PM
I love how my hair is suggestible, taking up waves or brushing out almost straight, but also has its own mind sometimes to make messy styles much better than I could do intentionally. I love the color... I'm very lucky to have kept my blonde to adulthood. It suits my skin tone better than I can imagine any other color, and contrasts my eyes, and has shimmery natural highlights in the summer. I love that it is fine and soft, yet not so delicate that it can't grow long easily. I love that it grows fast. I love that it thrives on benign neglect, yet is ready when I want to put a little more effort into it.

Arciela
April 8th, 2014, 12:07 AM
Aww I love this thread :) I like my color, texture, shine, thickness and most of all how fast it grows.

MaryO
April 8th, 2014, 03:17 AM
Ummmm, this got me thinking because my hair rarely does what I want but I don't really mind it, don't love my colour but I dont dislike it and my texture and so on is ok but in saying all this I do love my hair! So it seems that I just appreciate it for being on my head and not falling out or disappearing! ;-) So I love my hair because it's mine! :-D

Toffeemonster
April 8th, 2014, 04:27 AM
It is a relatively good length and thickness, considering how it's been treated in recent years. I think/hope it's going to get quite thick and long now that I'm protecting it. :)

Edited to include, I also like my dark colour, it's fairly unusual here among native Irish people.

inanna
April 8th, 2014, 04:53 AM
I like how silky and slippery my hair is, I mostly comb it for recreational purposes. If I'm not actually going anywhere and am just playing around with it, I love the feeling of a stick-held bun sloooowly uncoiling itself, almost as if the hair is sneaking off to do something.

The amount of slip my hair has also makes for very nice messy hairstyles, all I have to do is let it do its own thing and if I'm lucky, there will be nice wavy pieces that slip out to soften the look. I think it fits my overall persona well, I'm always a bit rumpled around the edges and trying to hide a chocolate stain that mysteriously appeared after I left the house. I don't think sleek hair with a graphic cut would complement me as much!

shutterpillar
April 8th, 2014, 05:25 AM
I love my wave pattern, my color (even though it's enhanced with Henna), the shine, the softness, I love that it will hold a curl for me pretty well, I enjoy how it looks at it's current length and cannot wait to see what it looks like at goal length.

embee
April 8th, 2014, 06:09 AM
Good thread! We usually are b**tching and worrying about our hair, it's quite a change to be looking for good points.

I love my hair being long enough for my simple updo choices, for being so easy to care for, for the opportunity to wear different hairtoys. I can't recall any bad hair days since I grew out my 8 inch chop back in 2005. :)

Auburndreaming
April 8th, 2014, 07:21 AM
I like the thickness of my hair and how it looks quite large and full when its left down, I also like my natural hair colour, which is starting to show quite well since I stopped using the hair dye :D

Carolyn
April 8th, 2014, 07:51 AM
It's great to have a non bitch and moan thread! I love that I was born a blonde. I love my lack of curliness. I never have frizz. I can count on my hair to make me feel good about my appearance. I consider my best feature. I like how it makes me feel young and feminine. I love the weight of it. It's kind of a comfort and a security blanket.

ashke50
April 8th, 2014, 08:08 AM
I love my hair colour, the varied streaks and the way it changes colour from day to day, and depending on lighting. I love my silver streak, and the very blonde bits by my parting and the back of my neck. I love how beautiful my hair is with braid or bun waves, and how it catches the light and shines. I love how soft and shiny my hair is, and how obedient it is - it sometimes falls out of styles when its slippy, but it never runs wild or refuses to go into place. I also love the opportunity to learn new styles and skills that is gives me with plaiting and bunning and things.
Overall I am really very fond of my hair!

MissAlida
April 8th, 2014, 08:32 AM
My curls look as if I've made them with a curling iron. I've been asked many times, if I curl my hair every day. When I tell people, that it curls like this on it's own, they don't want to believe me. I really like my curls. :)

Redvelvetdragon
April 8th, 2014, 08:47 AM
I like that my hair is nearly black and very shiny. I'm not a fan of it thinning a little and I wish it could be coarser, but I'm told it feels soft like silk, and that makes me happy.

Irishrain
April 8th, 2014, 08:50 AM
I like how thick and wavy my hair is. I use to take a flat iron to it but I'm gone heat-less since then. Also I like the sprinkle of premature white hair I have. I've had it since I was 12.

VitaR86
April 8th, 2014, 09:35 AM
I love how accepting my hair is of henna. It may not be the bright neon red I used to get with chemical color, but its a unique shade of red. And is amazing in the sun light.

ositarosita
April 8th, 2014, 10:31 AM
I've been thinking about this since yesterday since I first read this thread I just wasn't sure as I've been getting to know my hair again. I love my hair colour - it's a stainless steel colour and if I spend enough time in the sun I go platinum. I love my curls, when I take good care of them I have perfect spirals, they look so nice in fact that I have people ask me if they're natural or if I curl my hair in some way (curling iron, curl formers, etc.) . I love how strong it is, I can go years without a cut or trim and then only find 5 splits, no breakage. Most of all I love how soft it is, I've been told that my hair is so soft it feels like a cat.

darklyndsea
April 8th, 2014, 11:27 AM
I like how resilient my hair is, only getting significant amounts of split ends/white dots at classic (even back when I wore my hair in a ponytail every day, it was the same) and never breaking on accident, only when I deliberately break it because it's caught in something. I like how it's getting darker as I get older and keep my hair covered more. I like that it's finally long enough to do most buns (figure 8 took till classic!).

HazelBug
April 8th, 2014, 11:52 AM
I have learned to love my very straight hair. I don't have any waves eating up length. Also, my hair grows really fast. Those two things go together really well. My hair is kind of fine. I would say that the strands are between fine and medium, but closer to the fine end of the spectrum. So my hair is really soft. But it isn't damaged too easilly. I'm glad that it doesn't damage easily because I tend to be rough on things that I own even when I try to be careful.
I hardly ever get split ends. I'm pretty happy about that. There are things I do dislike about my hair. But the positives outweigh the stuff I don't really care for. I'm so glad that I've learned to love the texture I have.

Mizumi
April 8th, 2014, 03:53 PM
I like my colour, and also the fact it shines nice in sunlight. Aaaand, because of it's thickness and texture it's quite light and it behaves a little like spiderweb, which actually make me feel ethereal :)

Hairitic
April 9th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Since coming upon TLHC AND henna, my hair is now, longer, straighter, shinier, sleeker and stronger than it has ever been. I LURVES it. :p

RainbowBowser
April 9th, 2014, 06:17 PM
I like how shiny my hair is, and the red shine that I get in the sunlight on my natural + peroxide brown color.

Stormynights
April 9th, 2014, 07:09 PM
I have neglected my hair for years and just noticed it's faults, but now I am finding out that what I once considered a negative is really a positive. My hair isn't very thick anymore, but if it was I believe the weight might be a problem now. I have a lot of new hair coming in so it might get thick again and if it does I will deal with that at that time. My husband has always loved my hair, but I am just now starting to, I always wanted salt and pepper hair, but I was a blonde and didn't want to color my hair, besides the only way to have S&P hair is from nature. You just can't make beautiful S&P hair chemically. My hair is mostly white now and I do like that, I love brushing and braiding and trying new things with my hair and making hair toys. Thanks to my BBB and glycerine it is getting a good shine.

Quixii
April 9th, 2014, 07:12 PM
I think my hair is really pretty. I love that when I wear my hair down it's curly and long and I feel like a goddess or princess. I love that I can wear it up in either intricate or super simply and speedy updos, and then it's all out of my face and off my neck and I don't even need to worry about it. I love the colour, which reminds me of gold in the sunlight, but is more beautiful to me. I love how long it is, and that it's getting even longer.

I really like my hair. :crush:

LongHairLesbian
April 9th, 2014, 10:18 PM
I like my hair's colour, and its numerous highlights, ranging from dark blonde to platinum to strawberry-ish. I love how soft and silky it always feels. I like that I don't have noticeable taper at waist+, and that my hair grows decently fast. It makes me feel beautiful and feminine and special. :)

rachel1031
April 10th, 2014, 12:13 AM
Oh, Not to be a creepster, but I like all of your hair! I have never grown my own hair, but I want to try before I turn 50! Thanks for this thread, but I do not like my hair, yet. One day maybe I will and will post a photo. But I have had a compliment recently on my "elegant" bun (all me, baby!) and just yesterday a woman I work with occasionally who has gorgeous hair complimented my bed head waves. I have been serious about growing for about 16 months, so maybe it is starting to pay off.

AuroraRory
April 10th, 2014, 12:28 AM
This forum really made me appreciate my curls more. When I was younger, I liked to straighten my hair; the reason for that was mostly because my naturally curly hair looks shorter than it is as it bounces up (it's actually at waist length when straight but when it's curly, it's at mid-back length.) This forum made me not want to damage my hair, so I cut out straightening tools for good years ago and now I'm happy with it's curly state :)

Maid M
April 10th, 2014, 12:39 AM
My hair is a spiritual thing for me. It surrounds me and keeps me warm when I am cold. It flutters around me in the wind. It carries soft scents that comfort and calm me. It is a part of ME...all 46 inches!

wow, that is so beautiful :)

MadeiraD
April 10th, 2014, 12:44 AM
My husband just said "your hair looks really good" he's not seen it loose and brushed out in a long time.

IGIT
April 10th, 2014, 08:51 AM
I like the fact it fakes long! My hair is really APL but huge dense and kinky so you may think it's longer than what you see.:)

Robot Ninja
April 10th, 2014, 09:25 AM
I like that it's swishy, it feels all soft and silky for the first few days after a wash, it's fairly low-maintenance and resilient enough that it hasn't been utterly destroyed from all the abuse I subjected it to before LHC. I even like my greys now, because I can get vibrant funky colors without bleach!

SunnyIC
April 11th, 2014, 12:15 PM
I used to dislike strongly the way it did whatever it wanted, but I learned to appreciate it. The waves/soft curls combination it gets is actually pretty if I have the patience. I like that it's still strong (surprisingly) after the tons of abuse it when through with hair brushes (my hair tangles a long and I used to just lose my patience and yank on it with the brush really hard *cringe*) and finally I really like the colour. My hair is a really dark brown colour and I use to hate being a brunette (because it's common) but I've learned to love it because it's me. :)

Nebulae
April 11th, 2014, 01:58 PM
I like how soft and silky it is, and the shine it has. I absolutely love what henna does to my hair, there is no dye that will ever come close to the depth and fire of henna. I like the fact that I discovered waves in my hair. I really like the length, and am really excited to see it get longer.. I find myself admiring it and imagining what it will look like at my goal length and condition in the mirror before I put it up for the day/night. I like that I can see the rewards of treating my hair right, there is a clear difference between my pre-LHC hair and what's grown out of my head since I found this place!
Great to see such a positive thread! :)

mrs_coffee
April 12th, 2014, 08:08 AM
I like the curls/waves and how resilient it is.

woodswanderer
April 12th, 2014, 08:48 AM
I like that my hair is reasonably thick and has very little taper. Nice idea for a thread.

truepeacenik
April 12th, 2014, 09:13 AM
Oh, the color for sure. I've avoided going purple or other fun, unnatural color because at root and heart I am a redhead with all that implies.
(But if anyone knows where I can get >40 inch clip in purple, blue or green hair, send me a link.)

The hair grows steadily, albeit with some stress markers. I can depend on visual and actual growth to be on the low side mathematically over two years (even as I trim on occasion). I don't get net loses from cutting.

I love-
the lessons imparted by days when I cannot be in control, because gravity is.
The feel of it on my arms, back and legs.
That I can feel it on the back of my legs.
The crazy colors it throws in sun.
The greys as badges that, yep, this is all my color. (So I'm fudging on my faded last six inches. They get help from lawsonia)
Braid waves and bun waves stay around for a long time.
The natural S wave or two, even as weight pulls them straighter.

ProverbsGirl
April 12th, 2014, 11:52 AM
I like mine because it is straight. All my life I wanted curly hair..and then I found a close friend. She has curly hair and so does her daughter. I see what all they go through to keep it neat and how much they have to deal with. It makes me thankful that mine is straight.

goldenlady
April 12th, 2014, 11:59 AM
I love how shiny my hair is. It used to look like straw, since giving up heat and harsh brushing it feels so super healthy.

tanchoulita
April 12th, 2014, 12:28 PM
I love that my hair barely takes 30 minutes to curl without heat and stay like that until I wash it off. I don't have a lot of hair but it is huge so I don't have to tease it or use volumizing products. Oh and I love how shiny and soft my hair is naturally while others spend money on products for that.

IubireaDraga
April 12th, 2014, 01:46 PM
I like the fact that it is getting long...........

That's pretty much it. It's really hard for me to compliment myself.
(Things i dont like - it's "only" 3 inches thick, it has split ends, not shiny, dry, ends not thick enough, stringy, tangles, the color is pretty dull ...)

grimsqueaker
April 12th, 2014, 09:45 PM
I really like the color, it's kind of an ash blondette with gold tinsel scattered throughout, very hard to replicate with box dyes! I admit, it's kind of a love/hate thing, but in the end, I would never sacrifice any of the thickness it has! I also like how soft it is, especially right after a wash!

grimsqueaker
April 12th, 2014, 09:48 PM
I can't believe I forgot this, but I also really like how curly it is! I admit, I do sometimes wish it was a bit curlier at the roots, but, I am very thankful for what I do have!