PDA

View Full Version : Are headbands bad for your hair?

FallingDarkness
January 30th, 2014, 07:40 PM
My hair isn't all that long right now. And I absolutely LOVE my headbands. I wear them all the time, meaning around three times a week. :P Is this damaging my hair, though? :/ Advice would be much appreciated.

Madora
January 30th, 2014, 08:04 PM
If the headband doesn't have any "snaggy" feel to it, and is not too tight, then I think it would be all right.

Metal and plastic headbands are another thing entirely.

Garnetgem
January 20th, 2016, 05:44 PM
Depends on the type of band and if its a good fit,i never wear them now as i always find they make my roots feel tender and bruised when i move my hair about after wearing one.

lapis_lazuli
January 20th, 2016, 05:52 PM
I think they could be if they're used continuously... that's putting stress on your crown hairs over and over again. If it's a stretchy, plush-like material, I think it's better but as Madora said, nothing that can snag!

khryz
January 20th, 2016, 07:08 PM
I love headbands! I I try to look for those satin-y ones. The downside is that they slide right out very easily and it's hard to hold my thick hair in place. Ever since I joined LHC I avoid those that grip my hair too much, unless it's for special occasions :)

As long as they're gentle on your hair, I don't think wearing them 3x a week will do much harm. But like we always say, let your hair/scalp tell you :)

languagenut
January 21st, 2016, 02:03 AM
I cannot stand those metal headbands that squeeze my head. Otherwise, I like non-metallic headbands, and I don't think they damage one's hair. If they do at all, they're surely at the low end of the spectrum, as hair accessories go.

rhosyn_du
January 21st, 2016, 02:22 PM
I love headbands! I I try to look for those satin-y ones. The downside is that they slide right out very easily and it's hard to hold my thick hair in place. Ever since I joined LHC I avoid those that grip my hair too much, unless it's for special occasions :)

I have super slippery hair, so most non-grippy headbands won't stay on my head on their own. However, I've found that clipping them to my hair with snap clips or bobby pins behind each ear and at the nape of my neck keeps them in place, and I haven't noticed any damage from wearing them like this several times a week.

Daydreamer.
January 22nd, 2016, 12:59 AM
Over time, they can cause thinning at the hairline because they put stress on the hair there. It happened to me a few years ago when I wore (fabric) headbands everyday. Now, I only wear them when I need them.

pailin
January 22nd, 2016, 01:07 AM
As long as they're not snaggy (see above), I think the only issue is that it's good to rotate your styles so as not always to stress the same hairs. If it's only three times a week, you're still spending at least 50% of your time with other hairstyles, so it seems like it ought to be safe enough.

Groovy Granny
January 22nd, 2016, 11:29 AM
I never noticed damage when I wore them often to contain my fringe as it grew out.

I always pushed it forward after placing it to add fluff and release any tension at the hairline.

I used the thin satin covered plastic because I have a sensitive scalp.

They are rarely used now because my hair is long and heavier, but when I do .....I use the same method.... but must use 2 together to hold.

The pin is a good tip.....I also use silicone elastics on the ends to avoid slipping.

meteor
January 22nd, 2016, 11:41 AM
I don't think they are damaging, unless the material or design is snaggy or the headband isn't used correctly.

Unfortunately, it can be really hard to find comfortable headbands that wouldn't bother scalp in terms of tension building up over time.

If you need to use a headband (say, for growing out bangs or roots in different color or something), and you don't want to use a standard headband, you could try braided headbands (using lace-braiding or Dutch-braiding techniques or just simple English braids pinned like coronets around the head).