PDA

View Full Version : HELP Hair Loss!!!

jnnfrch
November 20th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Hi, I'm Jennifer, 23, new to the forum and joined because I am in desperate need of your help!!!

Over the last couple of years, I've lost a little in the volume of my hair, which I probably put down to the stresses and lifestyle of doing a difficult university degree!
But since around September, the hair loss has rocketed! I've lost soooo much hair (at least 2/3?) and I think it's worst where the center part is at the front of my head and all through the sides of my head above my ears although it's a general loss all over I think.

My mother experienced some hairloss but only after menopause and my aunts and grandmother have amazing, thick hair.

I've been to see my doctors, had blood tests which came back fine: I was towards the lower section for iron but above the minimum and no thyroid problems. The only thing was a slight deficiency in Vitamin D. My doctor also examined my scalp and said that was fine, although my scalp does itch slightly, frequently.

I would be SOOO appreciative of any help, tips, advice you could give, experiences you've had or potential causes/remedies??? It's really panicking me a lot now, I can pull great big clumps out when I brush and wash my hair and there are always loose strands even if I make a big effort not to touch it! I have a lot of flyaways which may be new hairs trying to grow through?! or they may be breakage :(

Many thanks in advance!
Jennifer

breezefaerie
November 20th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Can you tell us what your diet is like, your lifestyle, how you care for your hair? Has anything in your routine changed?

It's so frustrating and defeating when you lose your hair with no apparent reason. :(

Isilme
November 20th, 2013, 01:14 PM
First, rule about actual breakage by treating your hair gently, no hairtoys with sharp edges or thin elastics with a metal clip. Use a wide toothed comb, also with no sharp edges and gently detangle from the ends. The Body Shop has a very affordable wooden comb of high quality. http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/hair-care-products/hair-brush/detangling-comb.aspx
Second, go trough your hair products and only use the most gentle products you can find for two weeks, see if it gets better and then you can slowly re-introduce other ones. If your scalp is itchy it is most likely dry from overuse of shampoo. Try co-washing, it might help.
Get enough sleep, fresh air, exercise and healthy food. Don't hesitate to contact another doctor or a skin doctor (I think you call them dermatologists?)
It wouldn't hurt to get someone you trust (or do it yourself!) to give you a scalp massage :)

meteor
November 20th, 2013, 01:32 PM
So sorry to hear about your hair loss. It sounds extreme enough that I would push the doctor to refer me to a dermatologist or trichologist for this. Even though he said the blood-work is fine, the problem persists.

Serious stress could definitely do it (the time lag is about 3 months, usually), as well as changes in the diet (even though that would usually show in blood tests) but other things could be potential culprit, too. You mentioned that your scalp is itchy... it could be some fungal/bacterial issue or an allergy to something in one of your hair products. Maybe something as simple as going sulfate-free and using anti-fungals like monistat or neem oil could help, but it's really impossible to do this guesswork without a proper diagnosis. Please do try to get to a derm.
And I really hope this hair loss will stop soon and your previous thickness recover! :) Best of luck! :)

arielįgua
November 20th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Hi! Hang in there, I have also experienced it. My hair loss was because of stress post-surgery. It actually has a scientific name and everything, but I can't remember it. It's been 2.5 years since then. The hair loss only appeared 2-3 months after the surgery, I wasn't expecting it at all.

I would second what Isilme said. I would emphasise on the diet mostly. It's so important what we put inside our bodies more than outside in my opinion. Eat lots and varied vegetables and fruits and protein rich foods like nuts, seeds and beans. Exercising can help you forget the stress and improve your blood circulation.

I did try lots of things, oils, products etc, like you I was desperate too, I would run my hands through my hair and have clumps of hair falling out. Do not worry though, if your case is a stress case like mine, it will cease within 3-6 months, if it persists, than you should definitely go see the doctor again. I know 3-6 months sounds a lot, but that's just the way our body works, sometimes it takes time so try not to stress more as that can make things worse. :)

I know it's difficult, hair can be such a big deal sometimes, I've been there! :)

Lots of good luck and hopefully soon you will regain your hair! :flowers:

jnnfrch
November 20th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Thank you so much for answering :)
If I'm honest, my diet could do with improvement, I do eat healthy, wholegrains, lots of fruit and veg etc, but I eat some junk on top of that!! My lifestyle.. I've been struggling with depression for a little while now, maybe the stress of that is impacting on my hair? I just didn't think it would be such a sudden effect like this!
I treat my hair SO carefully now, I wash it 2-3 times a week with an SLS free shampoo, only use these plastic-y coils from Asia to tie it up that don't snag at all, I've found it gets tangled easily so I comb it with a wide toothed comb before bed and run a little argan oil to keep it from getting too tangled then tie it into a loose bun on top of my head.
I'm just so worried and panicky about it now, I HOPEHOPEHOPE it will grow back?! :/

jnnfrch
November 20th, 2013, 03:39 PM
sorry that 1st answer there ^^ was for breezefaerie!

jnnfrch
November 20th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Isilme: thank you for replying, honestly!

I am really careful with my hair now, I've always treated it gently but no heat, super gentle combing etcetc! I also only use SLS free shampoo so hopefully that will help..

You're so right about sleep/exercise/food, and I will definitely give the scalp massage a go. My doctor said I can't be referred to a dermatologist/trichologist through the surgery, I would have to go privately and the only place I would trust has a consultation fee of £275!! You never know though.. that may sound cheaper the more desperate I get :/

Thank you so much for your help though, if I'm super good about everything, do you think I have a good chance of it growing back???

jnnfrch
November 20th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Meteor: thank you so much for replying

I will try and push for the trichologist/dermatologist, even though I've already been told this isn't possible through my surgery! I did think about something fungal, my skin can play up sometimes like that, my doctor seemed to think it was fine though and she used to run a skin clinic!

I've been under a huge amount of stress during May because I really need to push through with my Uni finals, and in July-August I did a juicing diet for my graduation, I made sure I kept up everything with multivitamins and had a lot of kale/spinach/broccoli etc to keep my iron levels up but do you think this may have had an effect??? It's a little outside the 3 month window?

You mentioned that you hope it regains its thickness, is that possible?? Everything I've read sounds so depressing and full of doom, once it's fallen out there's not a lot you can do :/

jnnfrch
November 20th, 2013, 03:52 PM
arielįgua:

I think I will definitely try and be better with my diet and exercise, I find it really hard to cope with stress so exercise might be a good outlet.

Sorry to hear that this happened to you! :( When it stopped falling out, did it start growing back??

Thank you so much for replying, really means a lot to me as you're right, hair can seem like such a huge deal!

meteor
November 20th, 2013, 04:06 PM
If I'm honest, my diet could do with improvement, I do eat healthy, wholegrains, lots of fruit and veg etc, but I eat some junk on top of that!! My lifestyle.. I've been struggling with depression for a little while now, maybe the stress of that is impacting on my hair?
Definitely! I recommend trying to find healthy simple ways of de-stressing. Anything like sports, walks, yoga, meditation, arts... And it's amazing what a strategically spent vacation or weekend can do for health.
In terms of diet, it's great that you are eating lots of fruit and veg, but I'd add that healthy fats and proteins are critical, I'd start with increasing fish consumption (most people don't eat enough fish at all).

I'm just so worried and panicky about it now, I HOPEHOPEHOPE it will grow back?! :/
Try not to panic about the regrowth so much: usually after the health is restored, the hair grows back as thick as previously... but it can take quite a bit of time.
If the derm fees are restrictive right now, why not try your luck with hair loss / trichology support forums? They might help you in your search for answers. LHC has a hair loss support thread that might be of help, too: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1124

I wish you best of luck! :) And I really hope your doctor will do more tests for you! Check if you have any other symptoms that could help the doctor to order the right tests for you.

breezefaerie
November 21st, 2013, 06:38 AM
It sounds like you are trying to do the best for your hair and body. It could be that you are just having a delayed stress reaction.
And I agree not to stress about the hair loss. Please keep us updated! I bet any day now you will se a new crop of baby hairs popping up!

Madora
November 21st, 2013, 08:20 AM
If I'm honest, my diet could do with improvement, I do eat healthy, wholegrains, lots of fruit and veg etc, but I eat some junk on top of that!! My lifestyle.. I've been struggling with depression for a little while now, maybe the stress of that is impacting on my hair? I just didn't think it would be such a sudden effect like this!
I treat my hair SO carefully now, I wash it 2-3 times a week with an SLS free shampoo, only use these plastic-y coils from Asia to tie it up that don't snag at all, I've found it gets tangled easily so I comb it with a wide toothed comb before bed and run a little argan oil to keep it from getting too tangled then tie it into a loose bun on top of my head.

Unless it is really necessary, I'd suggest you limit your shampooing to once a week (less hair manipulation involved).

I'm not familiar with "plasticky coils from Asia" but since they ARE plastic, I would suggest you not use them (plastic causes friction, and friction leads to breakage.

Also, perhaps you could try using a satin sleep cap to contain your hair, instead of putting it up. Give your follicles a break at night.

Your original post mentioned your noticed a lot of hair loss in the center. If you part your hair in the center...and do it over a period of time, the center part will begin to lose hair and become noticeably wider.

Lastly, be sure you are eating enough meat. Good luck!

GeoJ
November 21st, 2013, 09:57 AM
I'm sorry you are suffering from hair loss. I hope the loss will end soon and you regrow what was lost.

I have had hair loss issues due to illness (stress of illness) and the associated malnutrition (I was eating, but my body was not absorbing most of the nutrients). Now that my digestive system is in better condition I have been seeing my thickness return. At first my hair stopped falling out, periodically. I would think it was over, see a few baby hairs, & then it would start again. Eventually it stopped and my baby hairs grew, along with my length increasing again. Now, over a year since my worst problems, my hair is still getting thicker. I am up to a 3 inch ponytail cirumference now, so I only have 3/4 of an inch left to return to my original thickness. I just started having to separate my hair again when I wash to rinse my scalp well enough, so that's a good sign.

I wrote all of that to show that it can grow back! It helped me a lot to make sure I get enough protein. A healthy diet is so important! Even if you have a few treats now and then... the important part is to make sure you drink plenty of water and try to eat mostly foods that haven't been processed too much. For example, I try to eat about 15 servings of vegetables & fruits per day (green smoothies make this easier), and have meat daily (chunks of meat that I cook myself, not processed meats), and I drink a lot of water. I will also have some small treats like a high quality chocolate fairly often, and I might make something like crustless pumpkin pie once or twice a year (I have very severe gluten intolerance, among other food sensitivities, if you're wondering why I'm leaving out things like whole grains). I used to bake my own whole grain bread.

Yoga really helps me with destressing, so does running or hiking in wilderness areas. Yoga is a good choice because it gets you moving and stretching.

I don't know what the plastic coils are either, but be careful about plastic hair toys. They often have seams (due to how they are manufactured) that are rough or sharp. Check all of your hair things for sharp edges & seams. You can file the seams down with a nail file (I do that with plastic jaw clips).

:)

Agnieszka
November 21st, 2013, 10:55 AM
Did you say that your iron level is on lower side? My doctor told me it has to be in a middle range at least for hair to stop falling. I'm on iron tablets right now, taking them at night on empty stomach with vitamin c to increase absorption. All the best to you!!!

jnnfrch
November 21st, 2013, 03:45 PM
I'm sorry you are suffering from hair loss. I hope the loss will end soon and you regrow what was lost.

I have had hair loss issues due to illness (stress of illness) and the associated malnutrition (I was eating, but my body was not absorbing most of the nutrients). Now that my digestive system is in better condition I have been seeing my thickness return. At first my hair stopped falling out, periodically. I would think it was over, see a few baby hairs, & then it would start again. Eventually it stopped and my baby hairs grew, along with my length increasing again. Now, over a year since my worst problems, my hair is still getting thicker. I am up to a 3 inch ponytail cirumference now, so I only have 3/4 of an inch left to return to my original thickness. I just started having to separate my hair again when I wash to rinse my scalp well enough, so that's a good sign.

I wrote all of that to show that it can grow back! It helped me a lot to make sure I get enough protein. A healthy diet is so important! Even if you have a few treats now and then... the important part is to make sure you drink plenty of water and try to eat mostly foods that haven't been processed too much. For example, I try to eat about 15 servings of vegetables & fruits per day (green smoothies make this easier), and have meat daily (chunks of meat that I cook myself, not processed meats), and I drink a lot of water. I will also have some small treats like a high quality chocolate fairly often, and I might make something like crustless pumpkin pie once or twice a year (I have very severe gluten intolerance, among other food sensitivities, if you're wondering why I'm leaving out things like whole grains). I used to bake my own whole grain bread.

Yoga really helps me with destressing, so does running or hiking in wilderness areas. Yoga is a good choice because it gets you moving and stretching.

I don't know what the plastic coils are either, but be careful about plastic hair toys. They often have seams (due to how they are manufactured) that are rough or sharp. Check all of your hair things for sharp edges & seams. You can file the seams down with a nail file (I do that with plastic jaw clips).

Losing hair feels like the end of the world (dramatic I know) but I would really go to a lot of trouble to fix it, if only I knew I had a really good chance of it growing back, so thank you sooooo much for posting this, your story is really encouraging.
I can definitely say I've been through a lot of stress and I did juice for my graduation so hopefully that's my cause... I was worried it was hereditory because of my mum, but hopefully I won't see those signs until I'm her age?!

The plastic thingys (my awful description) are these coils used instead of hair elastic, very popular in Asia and they take out much less of my hair than hair elastics or scrunchies, so hopefully they're ok, but that's a good idea about filing them down!

jnnfrch
November 21st, 2013, 03:46 PM

Losing hair feels like the end of the world (dramatic I know) but I would really go to a lot of trouble to fix it, if only I knew I had a really good chance of it growing back, so thank you sooooo much for posting this, your story is really encouraging.
I can definitely say I've been through a lot of stress and I did juice for my graduation so hopefully that's my cause... I was worried it was hereditory because of my mum, but hopefully I won't see those signs until I'm her age?!

The plastic thingys (my awful description) are these coils used instead of hair elastic, very popular in Asia and they take out much less of my hair than hair elastics or scrunchies, so hopefully they're ok, but that's a good idea about filing them down!

jnnfrch
November 21st, 2013, 03:49 PM
Did you say that your iron level is on lower side? My doctor told me it has to be in a middle range at least for hair to stop falling. I'm on iron tablets right now, taking them at night on empty stomach with vitamin c to increase absorption. All the best to you!!!

ooh I didn't know that, I'm sure it can't hurt to up my iron a little, women need more anyway and I'd be well under the maximum levels! That's a good idea about the empty stomach and vit c, I'll def try that out, thank you so much for answering :)

jnnfrch
November 21st, 2013, 03:51 PM
It sounds like you are trying to do the best for your hair and body. It could be that you are just having a delayed stress reaction.
And I agree not to stress about the hair loss. Please keep us updated! I bet any day now you will se a new crop of baby hairs popping up!

I'll definitely keep you updated, especially if my hair grows back and I can help other people through this (what feels like) harrowing situation!

jnnfrch
November 21st, 2013, 03:55 PM
Definitely! I recommend trying to find healthy simple ways of de-stressing. Anything like sports, walks, yoga, meditation, arts... And it's amazing what a strategically spent vacation or weekend can do for health.
In terms of diet, it's great that you are eating lots of fruit and veg, but I'd add that healthy fats and proteins are critical, I'd start with increasing fish consumption (most people don't eat enough fish at all).

Try not to panic about the regrowth so much: usually after the health is restored, the hair grows back as thick as previously... but it can take quite a bit of time.
If the derm fees are restrictive right now, why not try your luck with hair loss / trichology support forums? They might help you in your search for answers. LHC has a hair loss support thread that might be of help, too: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1124

I wish you best of luck! :) And I really hope your doctor will do more tests for you! Check if you have any other symptoms that could help the doctor to order the right tests for you.

The forum is a really good idea actually, thank you. I've just been researching good foods for hair health, fish did come up quite a lot! Will have to up my salmon/mackerel/white fish intakes..

My doctor has just prescribed me Betnovate (betamethasone valerate) to stop my scalp from being so fidgety and itchy, has anybody tried this? I'm a little hesitant of putting chemicals onto my scalp everyday, especially as I'm losing so much hair as it is, don't want to risk making it worse :/

Silverbrumby
November 21st, 2013, 04:01 PM
Are you on anti depressants of any kind? Also the itchy scalp sounds like you need a referral to someone who knows skin and hair. A gp can't really deal with this. I'd start with a good quality iron supplement from whole foods. Talk to someone there. Also vit D.

Is your actual hair shafts thinning?

jnnfrch
November 22nd, 2013, 09:38 AM
Are you on anti depressants of any kind? Also the itchy scalp sounds like you need a referral to someone who knows skin and hair. A gp can't really deal with this. I'd start with a good quality iron supplement from whole foods. Talk to someone there. Also vit D.

Is your actual hair shafts thinning?

nope, I tried 3 antidepressants around a year ago and hated them all so stopped altogether. 3 doctors have said I either can't or don't need to see a trichologist/dermatologist, my usual doctor used to run a skin clinic and I saw a new doctor today who worked on Harley St regarding women's hair loss. She said I need to up my iron from under 30 to 70+! so has given me iron tablets. Sh'es also recommended Betnovate, I'm not sure how I feel applying steroids onto my scalp though, and it's not a long term fix. I would still like to see a dermatologist too....

I don't think my hair shafts are thinning, just the number of hairs on my head

Thanks for your help!

arielįgua
November 22nd, 2013, 10:51 AM
Hi jnnfrch

Yes I regained my hair back but it took me almost 1 year and a half. I found exercising really liberating, running, going for long walks, dancing or messing with my dog to help forgettting the hair loss, and it stopped after 5 months. I know, it took a while to stop, but if your case is stress, which is a very common factor for hair loss.
Just hang in there really, I can't promise you anything, as everyone is different and reacts differently too, but I regained my hair.

This is what I had: Telogen Effluvium and here's a link, try and read it and see if you identify with it or not: http://www.drugs.com/health-guide/telogen-effluvium.html

Best of luck! I am here to support you, if you need anything or just talk! :flowers:

Silverbrumby
November 22nd, 2013, 12:32 PM
That's good the hair itself isn't getting thinner. THat's a sign or hormonal issues effecting the hair root.

I bet the iron helps. It did with me (reminder to self to get more!). You know, it's just a thought but anti depressants can make hair fall out. Maybe the shedding recently is a reaction to the three you were on earlier. Hair has a delayed sort of reaction I've found to life, meds, stress, foods etc. It doesn't fall out at the time but later.

It would be lovely if you kept us updated in the next month or so to see if the iron tablets help.

Thanks for your help![/QUOTE]

Agnieszka
November 22nd, 2013, 02:15 PM
ooh I didn't know that, I'm sure it can't hurt to up my iron a little, women need more anyway and I'd be well under the maximum levels! That's a good idea about the empty stomach and vit c, I'll def try that out, thank you so much for answering :)

I'm happy that you found my answer helpful :-) I just need to add that my doctor also said that it takes at least few months for Iron levels to pick up significantly and from my experience Ferrous Fumerate 210mg (30mg actual elemental iron) didn't upset my stomach at all while Ferrous Sulphate with similar dose made me literally sick.

jnnfrch
November 22nd, 2013, 03:13 PM
Hi jnnfrch

Yes I regained my hair back but it took me almost 1 year and a half. I found exercising really liberating, running, going for long walks, dancing or messing with my dog to help forgettting the hair loss, and it stopped after 5 months. I know, it took a while to stop, but if your case is stress, which is a very common factor for hair loss.
Just hang in there really, I can't promise you anything, as everyone is different and reacts differently too, but I regained my hair.

This is what I had: Telogen Effluvium and here's a link, try and read it and see if you identify with it or not: http://www.drugs.com/health-guide/telogen-effluvium.html

Best of luck! I am here to support you, if you need anything or just talk! :flowers:

That is so sweet of you!!! I may just take you up on it :) That's really good that your hair grew back, I'm so glad for you :) The Doctor I saw today said I had Telogen Effluvuim, she had to write it down so I wouldn't forget :P

It's really just having the hope that it will grow back, and hopefully soon enough before the rest of my hair falls out! I'm willing to make big changes to my diet and lifestyle etcetc so hopefully I'll reap some benefits..

Thanks again, really :):)

jnnfrch
November 22nd, 2013, 03:16 PM
It's definitely a thought! I didn't really think about it at all because it was quite a long time ago..

I will really try and up my iron, both with the tablets and through my diet, I'm due to go back to the doctors in a month at least to have more blood tests done to see how my iron levels are doing so I will definitely update this thread! Hopefully all this will help out other people too.

Thank you again :)

jnnfrch
November 22nd, 2013, 03:20 PM
I'm happy that you found my answer helpful :-) I just need to add that my doctor also said that it takes at least few months for Iron levels to pick up significantly and from my experience Ferrous Fumerate 210mg (30mg actual elemental iron) didn't upset my stomach at all while Ferrous Sulphate with similar dose made me literally sick.

thank goodness! My doctor has given me Ferrous Fumerate, (from memory) I think the actual elemental iron is 68 though, I will check that one.. She said my irons will pick up within a month if I'm really good about my diet too and she said try and take 2 tablets a day if I can stomach it (literally....)

Thanks so much for your help!

(and my above reply was for Silverbrumby, sorry I am awful at formatting the replies properly..)

jnnfrch
November 27th, 2013, 04:04 AM
UPDATE:

Went to see the doctors again, got told I didn't need to see a dermatologist AGAIN.
I am supposed to be using Betnovate twice a day for a month, seems a bit too extreme for my liking, bought neem oil to try as a natural remedy.
Also the iron tablets (ferrous fumerate) Im taking are 68mg elemental iron.
Not yet seeing any changes/improvements but it's really early days yet

Jennifer

jnnfrch
January 15th, 2014, 09:23 AM
UPDATE

Thanks for your messages, this is a little update, I was seeing improvements in the amount of shedding until recently. It's about 3 months since the last BIG shed so I'm guessing its something to do with the natural hair lifecycle, still, I'm getting really depressed about it now. I'm not actually sure if anything at all is growing back :/

On the plus, I've changed my diet and am eating a lot more wholefoods, fruit and veg, lean protein etc

My doctor used to work on Harley Street in London with hair and she's given me some good tips. My bloodwork showed that although my iron is in the "normal range", she says its wayyy under in terms of hair. She also said to check out the TRX2 supplement, I looked and its just BCAA's, potassium chloride, zinc, biotin, L-carnitine and selenium. I think everything except the BCAA's are in my multivitamin that I take (B-complex orientated). Has anyone tried TRX2 or it's ingredients???

I've been having a good think about what caused it and I think it's predominantly a couple of years of intense stress, triggered by the juicing I did for graduation. The diet is more or less on track now, so just gotta combat the stress...

If anyone's had Telogen Effluvium or hair loss and come out of it ok, please let me know, I need to hear some good news! Everything I read about hair loss tends to be so negative and depressing :(

Thanks for all the support guys!

~*~Aspen~*~
January 15th, 2014, 09:31 AM
Lots of great advice on this thread..

I've been there my dear. It is no fun, even bought non thinning systems.. try to go easier on yourself, please? ;)

Get the protein. and drink camomile,mint teas, take your iron pills and watch your pushing yourself too much if possible.-

Also, maybe put a little yogurt, veggie chips, in your diet too!

meteor
January 15th, 2014, 11:17 AM
I see you guys are discussing iron in tablets. I take a very big dose (as I'm very anemic), but it's not something you should do if the iron is within the norm, as one can get major health problems due to iron overdose.
The best approach to safely increase iron is to eat more green leafy veggies, red bell peppers (extremely high in vit C) with dark meat (especially organ meats, like liver), combine naturally occurring iron with vitamin C, mix heme and non-heme iron sources in meals (this helps absorption) and avoid tannins (e.g. tea, coffee) and calcium (e.g. milk), which hinder absorption, an hour or so around your iron + vit. c consumption.

meteor
January 15th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Sorry, double post.

ErinLeigh
January 15th, 2014, 12:13 PM
nope, I tried 3 antidepressants around a year ago and hated them all so stopped altogether. 3 doctors have said I either can't or don't need to see a trichologist/dermatologist, my usual doctor used to run a skin clinic and I saw a new doctor today who worked on Harley St regarding women's hair loss. She said I need to up my iron from under 30 to 70+! so has given me iron tablets. Sh'es also recommended Betnovate, I'm not sure how I feel applying steroids onto my scalp though, and it's not a long term fix. I would still like to see a dermatologist too....

I don't think my hair shafts are thinning, just the number of hairs on my head

Thanks for your help!

Has you Dr advised that low levels of vitamin D attribute to depression? I found out first hand this one. Even if slightly low you want to get that level back to normal.

LScott317
January 17th, 2014, 11:22 PM
I've been there too, and have done lots of research on the topic. You said your iron and vitamin D was low - Iron needs to be around 70 for healthy hair, and is best around 100. Low vitamin D can also impact hair, so you could supplement safely with 2,000 IU of vitamin D/day (most multis don't contain nearly enough). The tingle is common with telogen effluvium - it means that more hairs are moving into the resting phase that normal. It can also mean regrowth - basically the tingle can happen anytime there is a lot of activity going on with your follicles. My hair is recovering now from my 2 year bout with chronic TE due to going off birth control and an underlying thyroid condition. My scalp tingles randomly and it drives me absolutely crazy! Ketoconazole shampoo can also help (it cleans the androgens off your scalp) and so can viviscal - although it personally makes me break out. If iron and vitamin D don't help, have them check your thyroid antibodies not just TSH because that can be deceiving (when you have hashimotos your TSH goes up and down due to the antibodies attacking the thyroid). They can also check your hormones, including androgen hormones to make sure they are all in sync. Hope this helps!

Boudicca
January 19th, 2014, 10:44 AM
Hi. Going through a hair loss situation myself, and wanted to ask if your doc had done a hormone profile? Maybe there's something at play there?

Also wanted to recommend following the advice here on the forum as regards hair care - although I've noticed thinning, I think things would look much worse if I didn't take care of my hair like I learned here.