PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone really hate their layers?

goldenlady
September 13th, 2013, 11:00 AM
So about a year ago I was very silly...I had lots (too many) layers cut into my baby-fine hair. Basically I was about to begin my first trainee teacher placement and really wanted a hairstyle that I could just wake up and go with... I had started to grow out my full-fringe by this point and so my shortest layer was cut in above my chin to blend in with this growth. I wasn't particularly pleased with the result: My hair felt a lot shorter and thinner! and being a 2a hair type the short bits curled and the long bits were stick straight due to the weight - Disaster. Anyways, I'm still growing this hairstyle out and despite my hair being mid-back length.. It looks a lot shorter because of the fiddly short layers. Does anyone else here really hate their layers? & How close are you to growing them out? Did it take a long time? I feel like it's taking forever.

deja
September 13th, 2013, 11:10 AM
I think the question is does anyone really like their layers after the first few months? My layers range from chin to shoulder length and the rest is APL. They're annoying and I'm waiting until I'm at my goal (hip) to cut my longer hairs to wherever the shortest layer is.

deja
September 13th, 2013, 11:10 AM
And they actually seemed to grow faster than my regular hair because they're not rubbing against clothes or anything yet.

Stray_mind
September 13th, 2013, 11:12 AM
My hair is actually longer in front and shorter in the back. I really dislike that now. I can't put them up properly.

Arien
September 13th, 2013, 11:18 AM
I actually rather liked my layers, but realised over time that my hair was becoming thin/scraggly looking at the ends. I had been having new layers cut in every time I went to the hairdressers (every 8 weeks), so it just gradually thinned out my ends.

Last November I asked for a blunt cut to thicken my ends up and I love it :). My hair looks a lot thicker now.

I do still have some longer layers which I am growing out and a few shorter, face framing ones at the front left over from my sweepy fringe.

I think they do make my hair appear shorter then it actually is. When I have a half up, my hair looks a lot longer. I will be glad when they have all grown out.

Even when my hair was at it's longest (quite a few years ago now), I had some shorter bits at the front from when I decided to have a fringe cut and then started growing it out again. They never caught up with the rest of my hair because my hair was so long at the time I had the fringe cut in. They were alright when they were at a face framing length and then as they got longer, they were the constant bane of my life.

I suspect I will feel the same about the ones I have now when they get to that length lol :D.

samanthajenalyn
September 13th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Yes, I really hate my layers. About two months ago I decided that I was going to cut all of my damaged hair off. So I went from a little longer than APL to above my shoulders. I also had to get layers to make sure I got all of the damage out. (I had gotten 2 perms the year before, a relaxer to take the perm out, and heat damage from flat ironing everyday) My shortest layer is right at chin length right now, and they absolutely drive me crazy lol.

goldenlady
September 13th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Hahaa I'm glad I'm not alone in this.. I rant to my friends but they think I'm weird to complain when I 'have long hair'...

lapushka
September 13th, 2013, 11:27 AM
I hope you get some support. Me? I love layers, they help with the wave pattern (it waves more). Just a few weeks ago, I had layers cut into my hair using one of the "compact cut" methods from the book, "Haircutting for dummies". It's the method where you put all your hair into a ponytail on the top of your forehead and snip a bit off. My shortest layers are APL, my length is waist. Love it. I have F hair too, and just a little more thickness than you.

I'd just leave the layers alone, and see what it does when it grows some more.

velorutionista
September 13th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Sometimes I don't mind them, and sometimes I want to chop everything blunt...but that would make it barely shoulder length and I can't bring myself to do it! (Plus I'd probably end up talking myself back into getting more layers b/c a blunt cut at that length makes my hair really triangle-y and poufy since it's not long enough to weigh down anything). So I'm slowly growing them out.

I actually really like them when my hair is curly--it lays really nicely. But when I try to do updos or braids and run out of hair (or it gets too thin to work with long before the ends) I get really frustrated. I also find my hair looks thinner at the ends than I'd like since I've had layers cut in for years.

Crumpet
September 13th, 2013, 11:32 AM
I love layers when they are first cut but over time they don't look great. I also have i or ii hair and so they make the bottom of my braid look really pitiful. I won't wear a braid out and about because of the taper. Layers are also like highlights...the first time looks great but the more you have it done the more drastic the change is over time.

I'm growing my layers out a bit but I might do something like lapushka did when I hit waist. I'm hoping some gentle layers will bring out my wave.

goldenlady
September 13th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Sometimes I don't mind them, and sometimes I want to chop everything blunt...but that would make it barely shoulder length and I can't bring myself to do it! (Plus I'd probably end up talking myself back into getting more layers b/c a blunt cut at that length makes my hair really triangle-y and poufy since it's not long enough to weigh down anything). So I'm slowly growing them out.

I actually really like them when my hair is curly--it lays really nicely. But when I try to do updos or braids and run out of hair (or it gets too thin to work with long before the ends) I get really frustrated. I also find my hair looks thinner at the ends than I'd like since I've had layers cut in for years.

I've debated so many times on just chopping it off but I daren't... I keep reminding myself that in a couple of years the layers won't be noticeable. They're just really annoying the time being :/ Hopefully I've learnt my lesson that they don't work for me.

shutterpillar
September 13th, 2013, 11:46 AM
I like layers, but I have not been able to find the right stylist that is able to cut layers into my hair in a way that will enhance my wave while not making the ends of my hair look too thin. So, I have just been growing my (bad) layers out and doing self trims at home. :undecided I have about 3 more inches to go until I am free of them, then it will be the very LONG process of growing out the bangs that I cut into my hair last July.

goldenlady
September 13th, 2013, 11:56 AM
I think stylists seem to struggle with mine.. They tend to do the top layers really thick and then run out of hair..

browneyedsusan
September 13th, 2013, 11:58 AM
I like mine.
They slip loose from my updos and look nice around my face, but they're long enough to contain with a couple of accent braids.
(They aren't true layers, just crazy grow-outs from the pixie that were evened up this February.)

HintOfMint
September 13th, 2013, 12:01 PM
I love my layers, but at longer lengths they can be overdone to make the ends look a bit too wispy for my taste. My hairstylist overthinned my hair last time and I'm a bit concerned of how it's going to look as it grows to classic.

jacqueline101
September 13th, 2013, 12:08 PM
I hated mine I got rid of the pest.

ositarosita
September 13th, 2013, 12:12 PM
Personally I love my layers.. they let my curls really bounce and when I wear my hair straight thy give me lots of movement and body, layers are my friend.

YamaMaya
September 13th, 2013, 12:43 PM
I stupidly cut layers into my hair all the way up to my chin. My braids always end up looking like a frayed rope no matter how tightly I braid. I so regret doing this now, they have grown out some but the shortest ones are still around APL. To top it off I cut in a fringe, so I'm having a nightmare of a time with styling until it all evens out. It will be years before I'm all one length again.

goldenlady
September 13th, 2013, 12:46 PM
I stupidly cut layers into my hair all the way up to my chin. My braids always end up looking like a frayed rope no matter how tightly I braid. I so regret doing this now, they have grown out some but the shortest ones are still around APL. To top it off I cut in a fringe, so I'm having a nightmare of a time with styling until it all evens out. It will be years before I'm all one length again.

Sounds like you're in a similar predicament!

martyna_22
September 13th, 2013, 12:51 PM
I used to hate my layers too, but I don't have that many of them anymore. My original layers were some 4 long while my hair was chin length. I had bangs as well. Then all the growing out started, but I still trimmed my bangs. Now, after about 3 years of growing (1 year of not really taking proper care of my hair) I'm almost at waist (still less than 2 inches to go)... and my shortest layers are maybe 3 inches shorter than my hair overall, and these are my grown out bangs.
I don't think I'n ever going to layer my hair again.

kitschy
September 13th, 2013, 12:53 PM
I spent the last 4 years growing mine out. I love my braids and updos now. ...., but my hair is curly and it needs layers to look its best. I am torn, torn I tell you.

YamaMaya
September 13th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Sounds like you're in a similar predicament!

Such a pain isn't it :boohoo:

0xalis
September 13th, 2013, 01:38 PM
I had really good layers before I bleached my hair and had to cut it off. They made my hair super wavy and it made a spiral when I put it into a ponytail! also they were all long enough that it didn't mess up any of my up-dos [my hair was apl]

Now the layers that I have from my pixie cut P*** ME THE HECK OFF OMG. They're ugly and stupid :P

sourgrl
September 13th, 2013, 01:50 PM
I love layers at the right length. I've found my layers look their best between shoulder and APL. Anything longer and it just looks thin on me. That's why usually around BSL I chop it back. Trying to resist the urge to chop it now and just gradually cut them out to maintain my length.

rose313
September 13th, 2013, 03:16 PM
I don't like layers on myself. I grew mine out a few years ago and started getting my hair in a slight "V" line but otherwise blunt and all the same length. I think long hair looks best that way. Layers make my hair curl and frizz and puff up, and it's harder to braid without pieces sticking out.

sharonluvscats
September 13th, 2013, 04:25 PM
I've been growing my layers and bangs for over a year now. My longest layers are hip length while most of my other layers are between bsl and waist. My bangs are around apl now. I absolutely HATE my layers. My hair is relatively thick but hair looks so thin past my waist. I hardly ever wear my hair down because, I feel so self-conscious. I'm always tempted to cut off a couple inches but I would really miss my long braid.

UltraBella
September 14th, 2013, 12:35 AM
I *LOVE* layers. I love them when they're first cut, I love them six months later, I love them !! I will never have hair without layers, it just wouldn't be "me".

Layers aren't meant for everyone though & not all stylists are skilled at cutting them. But the right head of hair + a great stylist can equal layer heaven !!!!

sofo
September 14th, 2013, 01:00 AM
I like my layers and how they look, but it seems like the top layer on the back of my head (about chin length) gets a lot of damage. This annoys me a lot, I don't even know what I'm doing wrong.

clioariane
September 14th, 2013, 01:17 AM
I'm in the same boat, I'm growing out my bangs and they're at collarbone length now, but the rest is almost at BSL so I feel like there's a big gap between those lengths that looks awkward. My stylist is really good at blending them in but I can't wait to have it all one length again.

FuzzyBlackWaves
September 14th, 2013, 01:56 AM
To have my fringe I need little layers either side of it to incorporate it into the rest of my hair. They drive me insane when I try to put it up because they're short enough to break free of any kind of tie or band I try to include them in.

goldenlady
September 14th, 2013, 03:28 AM
I think the general consensus is that layers work really nicely on thicker hair and if cut in by a skilled stylist.. Mine is/was neither, but I'm glad that many people have managed to grow out their layers eventually.. Gives me hope!

MyKing'sQueen
September 14th, 2013, 03:39 AM
I really hate mine now, because they make my already thin fine hair look even thinner. But when I first got them my hair was only about apl and they looked good and seemed to add more body and movement to my hair and frame my face really nicely. Unfortunately they do take forever to grow out((

Bagginslover
September 14th, 2013, 04:15 AM
I hated mine, so 'trimmed' off 3 inches to get rid of most of them, then regreted it!! I just cut them back in a few weeks ago, and I couldn't be happier with them :)

It definitely depends on how they're cut though, I've had layers I've hated with a passion in the past, and had to fix up myself, but now I do them myself with the forehead ponytail method, they're just how I like them every time :D

Anabell
September 14th, 2013, 04:32 AM
I wasn't hate my layers. It was cut in a collar bone length hair and it was nice back then. I also used to love the spiky\fairytale like ends that created that way (cut diagonally so they tapper at the end). I guess all this cutting method was created to mimic the natural tapper ends to give more natural look. Most of the time when I grow out my hair the layers didn't bother me. I wear it down so I never notice the tapper messy braids that you got with layers. The reason why I stopped cut layers in is because I wanted more hair and blunt ends. Now that the layers bother me because of the tapper I have left only two of them. So just one more layer to go...
I (hopefully) will be layer free by the next year.

goldenlady
September 14th, 2013, 04:54 AM
I wasn't hate my layers. It was cut in a collar bone length hair and it was nice back then. I also used to love the spiky\fairytale like ends that created that way (cut diagonally so they tapper at the end). I guess all this cutting method was created to mimic the natural tapper ends to give more natural look. Most of the time when I grow out my hair the layers didn't bother me. I wear it down so I never notice the tapper messy braids that you got with layers. The reason why I stopped cut layers in is because I wanted more hair and blunt ends. Now that the layers bother me because of the tapper I have left only two of them. So just one more layer to go...
I (hopefully) will be layer free by the next year.

I'm envious.. I think I have two years before being layer free.. My hair grows fast but they were so ridiculously short to begin with :/

lulana
September 14th, 2013, 05:02 AM
I don't really hate my layers but i would never ever cut layers again! the last layer will be eliminated in 2014 and i hope i will then reach a solid tailbone length

goldenlady
September 14th, 2013, 05:40 AM
I don't really hate my layers but i would never ever cut layers again! the last layer will be eliminated in 2014 and i hope i will then reach a solid tailbone length

You have very pretty hair lulana!

peepopowitz
September 14th, 2013, 06:22 AM
Yes. Yes, I really hate my layers. However, they weren't layers that I had intentionally cut into my hair at this length, they are merely the natural result of growing out very short hair so that adds to my frustration with them. They didn't come from some super stylish decision I made, it's just the craziness that happens as hair grows, ugh. My issue with them is that they make my already not-long hair behave as though it were even shorter. I can't braid it, I can't pull it all into one ponytail, etc.. I'm considering going the next 12-16 weeks without a trim and then just hacking off three inches to even it up a bit. No. No, that's too frustrating to think about. I'm just gonna keep it in a messy pony for, like, a year.

NataschaB.
September 14th, 2013, 09:56 AM
I don't have layers anymore, but when I had long hair I had and hated them. Then I cut my hair into a pixie and got rid of them - now my hair is SL+ and I don't miss the layers at all.

tigerlily.
September 14th, 2013, 06:50 PM
I used to chin length hair and I'm growing out the layers from that cut. When I got them, I loved them. Now my hair is growing out, the face framing layers make my hair so thin, and unless they're heat styled they look scraggly when I wear my hair down. I don't want to lose any length by trimming to get rid of them, I want to get to waist and maintain and trim them out bit by bit. Just another reason to wear my hair up in protective styles I guess!

Squiggy
September 14th, 2013, 07:49 PM
Gah, I hate mine! There is about a 1.5 inch gap between the longest layer and my hemline. So when I wear it down it appears that I have a terrible haircut. My shortest layers are at collarbone, and my bangs are at chin. It will probably take a year and a half to grow out my layers, 2 to grow out the bangs. That's if I cut off all new growth each month! So yeah. I'm in it for the long haul of growing them out.

MeowScat
September 15th, 2013, 05:17 PM
I've had layers so many times throughout my life. I even rocked an awesome mullet in the 80's. :spitting:

I always hated my layers since my hair is so straight and fine, it would just hang there, looking shaggy and even thinner than it was. Now that I finally grew out this last batch of layers, I'm happier with how my hair feels and looks.

Applegirl84
September 15th, 2013, 05:23 PM
I don't *hate* them, but I do wish I had thought twice about getting them. They do give me pretty waves, but they make my braids looks funny, because there are so many pieces sticking out.

panffle
September 15th, 2013, 05:43 PM
I don't like mine... Takes so long to grow out layers for me :( Also I think they were too short.

teddygirl
September 15th, 2013, 07:37 PM
They make my waves look nice, and sine I wear my hair down a lot they look better with layers.

goldenlady
September 16th, 2013, 06:13 AM
I think the lesson is to do what YOU think looks best on YOUR hair rather than following a fashion trend or listening to someone else's advice. I know I was influenced by Cheryl Cole's long layered hair.. which was highly fashionable in the UK when I got them cut in..

ExpectoPatronum
September 16th, 2013, 08:56 AM
I have layers...and I hate them. I hate them a little less now that I've evened them out, but I still want them gone as they make my hair look shorter than it is. My hair is just past BSL, with my shortest layer being just above SL. I'm strongly tempted to cut my hair to APL (at most). That would make my length so much thicker and I'd only have a couple wispy layers instead of nearly half my hair being shorter than the rest. But at the same time, I don't want to undo all of my progress with my length. So, I settle for microtrimming once a month to slowly get rid of these pesky layers.

CrazyDaysHair
September 16th, 2013, 03:35 PM
So about a year ago I was very silly...I had lots (too many) layers cut into my baby-fine hair. Basically I was about to begin my first trainee teacher placement and really wanted a hairstyle that I could just wake up and go with... I had started to grow out my full-fringe by this point and so my shortest layer was cut in above my chin to blend in with this growth. I wasn't particularly pleased with the result: My hair felt a lot shorter and thinner! and being a 2a hair type the short bits curled and the long bits were stick straight due to the weight - Disaster. Anyways, I'm still growing this hairstyle out and despite my hair being mid-back length.. It looks a lot shorter because of the fiddly short layers. Does anyone else here really hate their layers? & How close are you to growing them out? Did it take a long time? I feel like it's taking forever.

Goodness I am right with you!

Months upon months ago, I was into the modern mullet look (basically a bunch of short layers and then one solid length) what a lot of teenagers have nowadays. Well, a couple of months ago, I chopped up some layers into my hair WITH A RAZOR :thud: which I learned recently is absolutely horrible for hair! I now have an appropriate tool for cutting hair, and at this point, i'm trying to let my layers grow out without looking at my hair too much.. there is so many layers poking out since I don't use heat styling tools anymore!

Thank goodness my layers have been growing like weeds: otherwise this look would be the death of me right now! :D

Emanuelle
September 18th, 2013, 08:41 AM
I dislike mine. I don't like how they look and they make it hard to do updos. Also my braids are messy due to layers.

I'm growing them out, they're currently at BSL.

jupiterinleo
September 18th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Yes. Layers make my hair look like a triangle. They're almost all grown out, thankfully.

Liz_park
September 18th, 2013, 11:25 AM
I've had layers so many times throughout my life. I even rocked an awesome mullet in the 80's. :spitting:

I always hated my layers since my hair is so straight and fine, it would just hang there, looking shaggy and even thinner than it was. Now that I finally grew out this last batch of layers, I'm happier with how my hair feels and looks.

Meowscat, I'm right there with you. The last time I went to the hair salon, the stylist cut a whole much of layers into my straight, fine hair. She claimed that I "needed layers" and that it would make my hair look fuller. I respectfully disagree with her, I think it makes it look even more fine and rather shaggy. I am currently growing them out and hoping to be all one length someday.

I'm happy to hear that you grew all your layers out and you're pleased with the result!

earthnut
September 18th, 2013, 11:42 AM
I cut my hair for a while in a way that produced too many layers. I realized I was cutting it wrong when my bun got really small despite having longer hair. So I switched to Feye's method to grow out my layers. After a few months, my bun size is much bigger. My hair is curly enough that it doesn't look good with a blunt cut, but if the layers are too deep, my updos suffer. So I'll be looking for a happy medium.

chen bao jun
September 18th, 2013, 08:05 PM
I don[t like layers because I want the option to wear my hair up. having thick hair that easily looks out of control, even before joining LHC and putting it up for growth, I liked to put it up and you basically can't with layers. They stick out all over the place.
I've hated layers for years and one reason I stopped going to hairdressers was the continual fight with them--they feel that thick hair NEEDS layers and have even cut them in without my permission.
Actually though, I think that for the last ten years or so, hairdressers have been trained that everybody needs layers. My thin haired friends get told that thin hair needs layers. sometimes I wonder if its all they know to do.
Good luck growing them out. I don't have them now and I'm so happy.

Coolcombination
September 19th, 2013, 04:30 AM
My layers are quite short, the shortest being chin, I want to grow them to apl. I still want to keep them because they bring out my curl. I've never had trouble with them in updos, they just make my braids thin. I want them longer for thickness mostly.