PDA

View Full Version : LOTR-lovers!

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Miasen
October 10th, 2014, 12:37 PM
Woo, tickets for the premiere of The Battle of the Five Armies have been bought, as have tickets for the annual LOTR marathon one of the movie theatres in the city host, and tomorrow I'm going shopping for supplies for my Smaug costume. YAY!

fiðrildi
October 14th, 2014, 01:26 PM
Anyone is going for the premiere in London? I want to go with my sister, but I don't know where to get the tickets! :(

Haybop
November 24th, 2014, 01:05 AM
I'm not going to the premiere BUT I am going to the Hobbit Marathon at my local cinema! The first two films then a break and then, at around midnight, the final film! I need to do something with my hair for this - I have gorgeous looking hair beads on their way so a few plaits & things will be incorporated.... rather excited now :D

Entangled
November 24th, 2014, 06:46 AM
I need to buckle down and make my elf ears. I've had the supplies sitting around in my room for ages, but I've been too intimidated to actually make them.

CaranDulin
November 24th, 2014, 06:53 AM
I need to buckle down and make my elf ears. I've had the supplies sitting around in my room for ages, but I've been too intimidated to actually make them.

That sounds like a lot of fun, actually!

I don't have the money to get new fabric for a costume this year, so I'll probably end up wearing my cloak and doing my hair nice, and call it good.

fiðrildi
November 24th, 2014, 09:37 AM
How do you get the premiere tickets? I've been looking for them like nuts, but I can't seem to find any :(
Is there any online website that sells the primere ticket? Or maybe there isn't any premiere where I live? I'm feeling so frustrated.

Nightshade
November 24th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Now that I have my Tauriel costume squared away, I'll be wearing that ^_^

CaranDulin
November 24th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Now that I have my Tauriel costume squared away, I'll be wearing that ^_^
Oh my gosh, I bet it's gorgeous!

Nightshade
November 24th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Oh my gosh, I bet it's gorgeous!

Here's some pictures from Halloween. I couldn't wear my ear prosthetics as I didn't realize my spirit gum was bad, but ah well :)

I'm sorry I don't have a full length shot, but I promise the boots and leggings looked cool, too! (And yes I know she doesn't wear an Evenstar, but I don't have Tauriel's necklace.)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-8425OYl3Oa4/VFeXngmaFtI/AAAAAAAAKT4/Efzy5-sHFwo/s512/Tauriel-4.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ZYLZqJ5q2pA/VFeXm-xkK9I/AAAAAAAAKTY/R_G9QAeazBs/s512/Tauriel-1.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-lLW3UmULYEI/VFeXm7Z4OyI/AAAAAAAAKTk/YlH62OMJ4MY/s512/Tauriel-2.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-BVemLRYSVUE/VFeXm6vSi0I/AAAAAAAAKTo/PbKDQHmPIxc/s512/Tauriel-3.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-84gbijSt6DU/VFeXoMMPS9I/AAAAAAAAKT0/uXlUuJ5iOxQ/s512/Tauriel-7.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-2U0lJ0SNR0E/VFeXpCYAleI/AAAAAAAAKUA/JBjNPQPBPYQ/s512/Tauriel-5.jpg

ETA: The cool wintery light washes my hair out, but I promise it is flaming orange XD

Quasiquixotic
November 24th, 2014, 11:01 AM
I love it nightshade! Evangeline Lilly has nothing on you!!

Ocelan
November 24th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Your costume looks excellent, Nightshade!

I'm going to the premiere with a big group of friends and a couple days before that we will watch the previous movies as a kind of a marathon. I don't think I'll be dressing up for the movie, but I'll be sure to wear something slightly Middle Earth inspired. :)

Entangled
November 24th, 2014, 12:07 PM
I have a fellowship-ish cloak, an Eowyn-inspired dress, and am making elf ears. Go figure. Hair will probably be in a half up, possibly with beads.

Anyways, as for the ears, I'm super excited about the possibility of having my own, but I'm going to have to make casts of my own ears, which seems tricky and I'm the resident artist, so I don't know if I can trust somebody else to brush the alginate into my ears and not miss air bubbles.

ETA: Nightshade, your costume and hair are FANTASTIC! You really nailed it. Someday I'll get together a proper costume for a single person.

fiðrildi
November 24th, 2014, 12:17 PM
All your costume ideas sound amazing :)

Please, anyone could tell me where did you get your premiere tickets? I've been looking for them for weeks, with no luck :(
I guess all of them must be sold out by now, but I would be really grateful if you could let me know where did you get yours. Thanks!

alishaxmarie
November 24th, 2014, 12:37 PM

Please, anyone could tell me where did you get your premiere tickets? I've been looking for them for weeks, with no luck :(
I guess all of them must be sold out by now, but I would be really grateful if you could let me know where did you get yours. Thanks!

Perhaps, it is too early to get them in your area? Does your country have their own Fandango (website not affiliated with an actual theatre but sells tickets for all the theatres in your area when you type the city/zip or postal code)? Other than that, I'd go to the actual theatre you plan to attend if you have only been searching online. I'm not really sure how premieres work in Europe so I'm sorry if I'm not much help...

My boyfriend and I are planning to go as Tauriel and Kili! :D He's not allowed to shave his beard until the premiere and then I'm just going to try to get clothes that are similar to the characters, as long as they're the same color then that's good enough for me since I'm a poor college student and have no idea how to make my own costume :lol: I have a dark forest-y green shirt of my mom's in mind (it should be long on me but I haven't seen it in awhile so I'm not sure how long) and then I need to get some leggings that will match. Maybe I'll be able to find/afford some other goodies as well but we shall just have to wait and see. I figure my hair is the most important part anyways!

chelsea89ms
November 24th, 2014, 12:51 PM
What a wonderful group of people! Its so refreshing to see other Tolkien fans, all my friends and family are indifferent about LOTR. They think its hilarious that I get excited when talking about it.

A marathon that they play the first two movies then the final one sounds like a dream, I will have to see if they have something like that in my area. I have thought of dressing up as my favorite character Bilbo but only because of this http://www.lostateminor.com/2014/03/04/characters-hobbit-just-got-gender-swapped/ they all look so cute, especially the little hobbit :)

Haybop
November 24th, 2014, 02:01 PM
Nightshade your outfit is amazing! I wish I could dress up but as I'll be going straight from work and then be sat in the cinema for a total running time of 505 minutes I think the hair is enough for me (plus I'll be having to take the beads etc out at something like 3am... anything more than that is just not going to happen :S

Wish I could help with the premiere thoughts but my nearest one's in London and that's probably not helpful.

Miasen
November 25th, 2014, 12:06 PM

Well, I dunno where you live, but here they put the tickets up for sale weeks ago. People slept outside the cinema for up to two weeks beforehand, and when all of those people had gotten their tickets the rest were put up for normal online sale. I guess it all depends on your local cinema, I would check with them. :)

fiðrildi
November 25th, 2014, 12:58 PM
Thank you, alishaxmarie and Miasen :)

I don't live in the capital of my country (it's just a small city), so I guess here it is just not possible to buy the premiere tickets beforehand. I have contacted the biggest cinema of my region (waiting for the reply), and I will try to find the tickets elsewhere if I don't get them. I really want to go to the premiere, and I promised it to my sister we would go together, so I'll do my best! :wink:

thebacontree
November 26th, 2014, 10:06 AM
Here's some pictures from Halloween. I couldn't wear my ear prosthetics as I didn't realize my spirit gum was bad, but ah well :)

I'm sorry I don't have a full length shot, but I promise the boots and leggings looked cool, too! (And yes I know she doesn't wear an Evenstar, but I don't have Tauriel's necklace.)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-8425OYl3Oa4/VFeXngmaFtI/AAAAAAAAKT4/Efzy5-sHFwo/s512/Tauriel-4.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ZYLZqJ5q2pA/VFeXm-xkK9I/AAAAAAAAKTY/R_G9QAeazBs/s512/Tauriel-1.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-lLW3UmULYEI/VFeXm7Z4OyI/AAAAAAAAKTk/YlH62OMJ4MY/s512/Tauriel-2.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-BVemLRYSVUE/VFeXm6vSi0I/AAAAAAAAKTo/PbKDQHmPIxc/s512/Tauriel-3.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-84gbijSt6DU/VFeXoMMPS9I/AAAAAAAAKT0/uXlUuJ5iOxQ/s512/Tauriel-7.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-2U0lJ0SNR0E/VFeXpCYAleI/AAAAAAAAKUA/JBjNPQPBPYQ/s512/Tauriel-5.jpg

ETA: The cool wintery light washes my hair out, but I promise it is flaming orange XD

Oh my, that costume is so cool,

Miasen
November 26th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Thank you, alishaxmarie and Miasen :)

I don't live in the capital of my country (it's just a small city), so I guess here it is just not possible to buy the premiere tickets beforehand. I have contacted the biggest cinema of my region (waiting for the reply), and I will try to find the tickets elsewhere if I don't get them. I really want to go to the premiere, and I promised it to my sister we would go together, so I'll do my best! :wink:

Good luck! Hope you'll find some tickets! :D

Nightshade
November 26th, 2014, 07:46 PM
I love it nightshade! Evangeline Lilly has nothing on you!!

Your costume looks excellent, Nightshade!

I'm going to the premiere with a big group of friends and a couple days before that we will watch the previous movies as a kind of a marathon. I don't think I'll be dressing up for the movie, but I'll be sure to wear something slightly Middle Earth inspired. :)

I have a fellowship-ish cloak, an Eowyn-inspired dress, and am making elf ears. Go figure. Hair will probably be in a half up, possibly with beads.

Anyways, as for the ears, I'm super excited about the possibility of having my own, but I'm going to have to make casts of my own ears, which seems tricky and I'm the resident artist, so I don't know if I can trust somebody else to brush the alginate into my ears and not miss air bubbles.

ETA: Nightshade, your costume and hair are FANTASTIC! You really nailed it. Someday I'll get together a proper costume for a single person.

Nightshade your outfit is amazing! I wish I could dress up but as I'll be going straight from work and then be sat in the cinema for a total running time of 505 minutes I think the hair is enough for me (plus I'll be having to take the beads etc out at something like 3am... anything more than that is just not going to happen :S

Wish I could help with the premiere thoughts but my nearest one's in London and that's probably not helpful.

Thank you guys :) I have SO much fun wearing it, and the woman who made it for me is immensely talented!

neko_kawaii
November 30th, 2014, 08:11 PM
One of my friends is going to the preview of the new Hobbit tonight. *cry*

Catatafish
November 30th, 2014, 08:56 PM
I LOVE the costume Nightshade!

Also, do you mind me asking where you got your phone case? It looks lovely :)

Bambi
December 1st, 2014, 01:15 AM
Gorgeous costume and hair Nightshade!!!!

fiðrildi
December 6th, 2014, 05:28 PM
I finally got the tickets for the premiere of The Battle of the Five Armies, yay!!! There were tickets available for the marathon the day before as well, but that was too much for my sister (who is clearly not as geeky as me, yet the geekiest person I know living in this town: my friends are kind of blah about the whole thing, and the rest live too far away). I'm not going to dress up either, because my sister said I would embarrass her (teenagers... :lol). This town is rather boring, sadly no one dresses up for Hobbit premieres.

The tickets were expensive as hell, and it's going to be in 3D (which I don't like any bit), but anyways :o
So far I have only read bad reviews... I just hope I'm not too disappointed.

Nebulae
December 7th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Whenever I go see the next movie.. I'll wear my sting hair sword! Others might call it a letter opener, but when I saw a bunch of them at a sci-fi convention last week my first thought was "yay, hair swords!" :p

AmberJewel
December 7th, 2014, 06:22 PM
I want a hair-sword!

fiðrildi
December 7th, 2014, 06:39 PM
That's a great idea, Nebulae ^^
I'm going to wear my Sting hair sword as well (it will be the first time that I'll wear it in public!). Though my sword is the fake, cheap version of Sting --it's still really cool ;)

Ocelan
December 8th, 2014, 01:07 AM
I've seen some of those (actually letter opener) hair swords around here on the forums and would love to have one myself! It had better be really dull though so I wouldn't accidentally chop my hair off with it. :P

We watched the extended editions of the two first Hobbit movies yesterday with a group of friends. It was fun and now I have it all freshly on my mind for Wednesday, when I'm going to see the last one. There's going to be a big bunch of us there aswell. Others are not dressing up in any way, but I was thinking if it's too obvious if I do my hair like Tauriel? I know atleast one of my friends might notice and appreciate it, but will the other people think I'm trying to play Tauriel even though it's not my intention? My hair isn't quite as long as hers anyway and only henna red at the very bottom. Oh, screw it, I think I'm going to do it no matter what. :)

Nebulae
December 8th, 2014, 04:40 PM
That's a great idea, Nebulae ^^
I'm going to wear my Sting hair sword as well (it will be the first time that I'll wear it in public!). Though my sword is the fake, cheap version of Sting --it's still really cool ;)

Haven't worn mine either, so you're not alone in that! :) Mine is pretty cheap too when you look closely, but at least it's metal and parts are going to be hidden in my hair anyway!

I've seen some of those (actually letter opener) hair swords around here on the forums and would love to have one myself! It had better be really dull though so I wouldn't accidentally chop my hair off with it. :P

The edges of mine are dull, it's only the very tip that is sharp so I have to pay attention to that when inserting the stic.. eh sword ;) in my bun so I don't scratch/cut my scalp! But even though I have pretty fragile hair I don't think it will harm it. The shape of Sting is actually great for hold! :)

Clea
December 8th, 2014, 04:49 PM
I'd love to do something elvish with my hair when I go see the movie but I don't think I have the coordination! I love Tauriel's hairstyle but I don't think I could pull that off :p I didn't know you could get hair swords. I want one!

Nebulae
December 9th, 2014, 02:46 PM
I didn't know you could get hair swords. I want one!

They're actually letter openers! Hair swords just sound a lot cooler.. 8) I think most people found theirs on ebay, I was lucky to find one locally. There are also a couple people on etsy that makes actual hair sticks in the shape of swords!

missblueeyes
December 9th, 2014, 03:30 PM
They're actually letter openers! Hair swords just sound a lot cooler.. 8) I think most people found theirs on ebay, I was lucky to find one locally. There are also a couple people on etsy that makes actual hair sticks in the shape of swords!

If they're letter openers, are they blunt enough not to cut any hair? :S

fiðrildi
December 9th, 2014, 03:36 PM

I didn't know you could get hair swords. I want one!

Here: http://www.dx.com/s/sword+letter+opener

Incredibly cheap, and free shipping. I feel like I've posted this link a thousand times already, but I'm happy to help others find their hair swords :wink:
Here's this one (http://www.dx.com/p/sword-shaped-stainless-steel-zinc-alloy-letter-opener-68470) in my hair:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14239&d=1415726718

fiðrildi
December 9th, 2014, 03:37 PM
If they're letter openers, are they blunt enough not to cut any hair? :S

Yes. They are kind of sharp, but won't cut off your hair :wink:
At least, not the cheap version of it!

Clea
December 9th, 2014, 07:39 PM
Letter openers! I would never have thought of putting one of those in my hair :p I'm definitely getting one!

Ocelan
December 10th, 2014, 12:26 AM
I think my next problem would be that I already poke people with my hair items... now I'd do it with an actual sword. I'll see if I'll get one. If not for hair, then as a letter opener. Or both! :D

missblueeyes
December 10th, 2014, 12:34 AM
Yes. They are kind of sharp, but won't cut off your hair :wink:
At least, not the cheap version of it!

Well, in that case, I'm getting one! :D

Nebulae
December 10th, 2014, 06:22 AM
fiðrildi, that looks exactly like mine!

And I agree - they're not sharp enough to cut your hair. Just don't stab your scalp with the tip! :)

Ocelan
December 10th, 2014, 07:46 AM
Well well well, in 3,5 hours I'll be watching the last Hobbit! It's kind of sad though, not having anything to look forward to anymore, well, until the extended edition comes out of course. :)

Miasen
December 10th, 2014, 11:31 AM
Saw it last night, am totally going to see it again soon! (I get into the local movie theatre for free, so yeah, definitely seeing it more times. XD)

Here's my costume! I went as dwarf. :D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14763&d=1418235947

fiðrildi
December 10th, 2014, 11:32 AM
Well well well, in 3,5 hours I'll be watching the last Hobbit! It's kind of sad though, not having anything to look forward to anymore, well, until the extended edition comes out of course. :)

Lucky you! Hope that you'll let us know what you thought about it ;)
Here we have to wait until 17th december for the release... not fair! :p

fiðrildi
December 10th, 2014, 11:34 AM
Saw it last night, am totally going to see it again soon! (I get into the local movie theatre for free, so yeah, definitely seeing it more times. XD)

Here's my costume! I went as dwarf. :D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14763&d=1418235947

Woooooo, love your costume!!! That's so cool!

Nightshade
December 10th, 2014, 12:05 PM
Oh that costume is fantastic, Maisen! I love the key!

Ocelan
December 10th, 2014, 03:21 PM
Well I saw it and I must say it was quite a rumble. It's been about 15 years since I read the book and I have to say I didn't remember much of things that happened in the movie, so it was all new to me. I got to be on the edge of my seat pretty much the whole time. I saw it in 3D and sadly I missed the first 10 minutes of the movie experience (which would have been nice to see) as about 7 of our group got faulty glasses, me being one of them.

Either way, it was fun to see, but it was a lot different than I thought it would have been. I'll have to see it again to wrap my head around it better. :)

Bambi
December 11th, 2014, 02:29 PM
I have Thranduil's sword as a hair sword, highly recommend it, very elegant and sleek:).

Miasen
December 11th, 2014, 02:45 PM
Thank you, Fiðrildi and Nightshade! :D

missblueeyes
December 12th, 2014, 05:27 AM
I attempted an elves inspired hairstyle, today! I'm going to wear this to work as I can't make it to the Hobbit premiere. :(
http://i58.tinypic.com/15mzigi.jpg

fiðrildi
December 12th, 2014, 05:34 AM
missblueeyes, that halfup is very pretty! If you'd like it to make it look even more elven, these kind of beads look really cool: https://www.etsy.com/listing/150187725/dori-kit-dwarvish-beardhair-bead-kit?ref=shop_home_feat_3

missblueeyes
December 12th, 2014, 05:37 AM
missblueeyes, that halfup is very pretty! If you'd like it to make it look even more elven, these kind of beads look really cool: https://www.etsy.com/listing/150187725/dori-kit-dwarvish-beardhair-bead-kit?ref=shop_home_feat_3

Thank you! I've had my eyes on these for a while but I never got them because I thought I couldn't pull off a half up. I'm growing out my bangs and I'm super surprised that they stay where I put them. I guess 4th day hair has its perks. :)

Xavien_Grey
December 14th, 2014, 10:11 PM
Oh hmm. This is the first I've heard about the animal dealio.. I'm not that tuned in to the media though. I do know that PETA just loves attention, and I seriously doubt the LOTR production would do anything to harm anything. They've always been very caring and respectful.

I'm definitely going to see the movie!

I will be wearing my hair down with braid waves and a fishtail braid behind each ear and my circlet :).

Must practice fishtail..

I have to agree, it seems out of character for a production crew of that size with the amount of training they'd of had to undergo for not only this, but the other films, to cause harm to animals on loan to them.

This business aside, i'll be going Legolas style, sans fishtail. Never could do one, so itll be a low half ponytail with some simple braids coming down behind the ol' ears. Kinda wish i still had my ears from my DnD days.

fiðrildi
December 18th, 2014, 03:09 AM
Went to the release... not sure what to think of it. It was a little better than I expected, but I'm kinda disappointed.

fiðrildi
December 18th, 2014, 03:24 AM
I saw it in 3D and sadly I missed the first 10 minutes of the movie experience (which would have been nice to see) as about 7 of our group got faulty glasses, me being one of them.

You missed the best part of the movie! You definitely need to watch it again (so do I). My sister hasn't read the book, and none of my friends have seen it yet, but I need to talk about it with someone... so much to comment!

morrigan*
December 18th, 2014, 03:35 AM
I'm joining here :D I don't know how i missed this thread, i'm lotr and hobbit fan.
Went to see last part of hobbit yesterday and i really like it, except one part, but not because of story but rather because of poor graphics it seems like poorly designed video game. However they did better job at retouching legolas than in first movie.
I definitely want to go again. Can't wait for extended version.

fiðrildi
December 18th, 2014, 10:12 AM
I discovered this video today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X3WnHOEkX8&feature=youtu.be

It's an amazing cat litter box (hobbit hole) and scratching post (Eye of Sauron). WANT!

CaranDulin
December 18th, 2014, 10:25 AM
I discovered this video today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X3WnHOEkX8&feature=youtu.be

It's an amazing cat litter box (hobbit hole) and scratching post (Eye of Sauron). WANT!

That was great! Thanks for sharing, haha!

I also went to see the new Hobbit movie. There were some parts where it got super cheesy, but that's okay- the Hobbit is supposed to be more lighthearted than the Lord of the Rings anyway!

missblueeyes
December 18th, 2014, 02:42 PM
I finally managed to get my butt to the cinema and watch the last Hobbit. There was just one thing that really bothered me, but it was just a small detail. I don't want to spoil anything, though, so I'm keeping it to myself for now. :P
I also thought that they did a little too much retouching on Legolas, he looked like a plastic doll in some sequences. I usually find him quite attractive but that was too much haha. :rolleyes:

CaranDulin
December 18th, 2014, 03:48 PM
I finally managed to get my butt to the cinema and watch the last Hobbit. There was just one thing that really bothered me, but it was just a small detail. I don't want to spoil anything, though, so I'm keeping it to myself for now. :P
I also thought that they did a little too much retouching on Legolas, he looked like a plastic doll in some sequences. I usually find him quite attractive but that was too much haha. :rolleyes:

Yeah, he didn't look real at times, did he? I enjoyed how Thranduil looked and moved, however. So majestic!

morrigan*
December 19th, 2014, 01:37 AM
snip....I also thought that they did a little too much retouching on Legolas, he looked like a plastic doll in some sequences. I usually find him quite attractive but that was too much haha. :rolleyes:

He was still heavilly retouched, but there was a scene in first movie when it was even worse.

missblueeyes
December 20th, 2014, 04:30 AM
Yeah, he didn't look real at times, did he? I enjoyed how Thranduil looked and moved, however. So majestic!

YES!! Thranduil was the best.

Halliday
December 20th, 2014, 05:43 AM
the Hobbit is supposed to be more lighthearted than the Lord of the Rings anyway!

Definitely so. I prefer LOTR because somehow the Hobbit storyline seems too hard for me to follow (brain lapse?!). But I haven't seen the Hobbit movie yet.

Quixii
December 20th, 2014, 08:49 PM
I've just returned from watching the third Hobbit movie. It wasn't my favourite, but, well, the "trilogy" is over.

Wildcat Diva
December 20th, 2014, 08:53 PM
I'm on the way home now. Lots of action, but bittersweet. Ah, Thorin!

Aurum
December 20th, 2014, 09:11 PM
Just saw The Hobbit today, and my reaction was pretty "meh." I reread the book this summer so I knew everything that was going to happen and I ended up mentally picking the movie apart the whole time instead of enjoying it. I just feel that splitting one small book into three movies was a bad move. Book-splitting was justified with the last Harry Potter book, as it had something like 700 pages. The Hobbit was much shorter, so Peter Jackson had to add in so much to the entire "trilogy" that wasn't from the book. It was a money grab, unfortunately. Still, it was nice to have resolution at the end of a movie for once instead of having to wait a year for Part X. I'm looking at you, Mockingjay.

I probably enjoyed the costumes and visuals (outside of the video game quality battles) the most. Lee Pace's Thranduil is so so majestic with his long flowing hair, and I just love Galadriel's circlet. Applause for the hair/makeup and costume teams. :D

Quixii
December 20th, 2014, 09:40 PM
Yeah, I felt like it was hard as a fan of the book to enjoy, because there was so much added that really didn't belong, and being split into three was so weird. And I don't tend to enjoy entire books or movies about battles/war, so I'm not surprised that a whole movie focussing on that, with random additions of non-book, was not my favourite.
Also I laughed out loud at some of the ridiculousness with the CGI and Legolas (in particular). Meh.

missblueeyes
December 21st, 2014, 04:06 AM
I'm going to be honest, I haven't read the book prior to watching the Hobbit and I'm kinda glad I didn't. It was probably much easier to enjoy. ;) Anyway, I have a question for those of you who have read it. SPOILER ALERT if you haven't seen the movie: These Earthworms that came with the first army of orcs during the battle. Why didn't they attack? It just doesn't make any sense to me as someone who hasn't read it.

neko_kawaii
December 21st, 2014, 04:51 AM
Earthworms? Um, has Jackson been reading Dune in his spare time?

fiðrildi
December 21st, 2014, 05:55 AM
I'm going to be honest, I haven't read the book prior to watching the Hobbit and I'm kinda glad I didn't. It was probably much easier to enjoy. ;) Anyway, I have a question for those of you who have read it. SPOILER ALERT if you haven't seen the movie: These Earthworms that came with the first army of orcs during the battle. Why didn't they attack? It just doesn't make any sense to me as someone who hasn't read it.

That was just another of Jackson's inventions :p

missblueeyes
December 21st, 2014, 09:08 AM
That was just another of Jackson's inventions :p

Ah okay. I was so confused because of that scene hahahaha. Seriously though, if the orcs had a bunch of earthworms (or whatever they were called in English, I only saw it in German so far) why wouldn't they use them? It doesn't make any sense. :brickwall Whelp, the epic elk scene made up for it. :P I blame my Thranduil obsession on his hair, seriously.

Ocelan
December 21st, 2014, 12:00 PM
The "earthworms" did make me laugh too. It immediately reminded me of not only The Dune, but the Kevin Bacon movie(s) Tremors. The creatures were nearly identical, just bigger (than in Tremors). And I think they didn't attack because they only needed them for other purposes (which you see in the movie). And yes, mainly because they were a Jackson's invention.

The fact that bothered me in the last Hobbit movie was that in this one the laws of physics applied even less than in the previous ones. In the original LotR movies the laws applied fairly well, then in the other Hobbit movies not too well anymore (the goblin cave for example, with the bridge collapsing and falling down, and the rapids and barrels scene with tons of CGI), and now in this last one the stone tower turning into bridge... you know what I mean. It's as if their world had changed between the movies too much.

missblueeyes
December 21st, 2014, 02:06 PM
The "earthworms" did make me laugh too. It immediately reminded me of not only The Dune, but the Kevin Bacon movie(s) Tremors. The creatures were nearly identical, just bigger (than in Tremors). And I think they didn't attack because they only needed them for other purposes (which you see in the movie). And yes, mainly because they were a Jackson's invention.

The fact that bothered me in the last Hobbit movie was that in this one the laws of physics applied even less than in the previous ones. In the original LotR movies the laws applied fairly well, then in the other Hobbit movies not too well anymore (the goblin cave for example, with the bridge collapsing and falling down, and the rapids and barrels scene with tons of CGI), and now in this last one the stone tower turning into bridge... you know what I mean. It's as if their world had changed between the movies too much.

Yeah, the Physics were really far off. I was thinking that the tower would break down immediately once the orc fell onto it if it even crumbled under Legolas but it seemed like they weighed the same in that sequence.

fiðrildi
December 21st, 2014, 04:48 PM
I still love the trilogy, and will enjoy watching the movies many times in the future... but I can't help to feel disappointed. The Hobbit is a great book, and to me, P.J. has "polluted" it, somehow. I'm not surprised that Christopher Tolkien is so angry at him.
I didn't like many things in the trilogy, but yet, they are good movies. They won't disappoint you that much if you haven't read the book, or if you expect a masterpiece similar to LOTR trilogy. The thing that bothered me the most was the over excessive use of CGI.

Quixii
December 21st, 2014, 11:08 PM
Has anyone seen the extended versions [of the Hobbit]? I saw someone say that they thought those were so much better and really added back a lot of what had been weirdly left out of the movies. I've only seen each one once when it was in theatres, though, so I don't know first-hand.

Elven_Escapist
December 22nd, 2014, 01:37 AM
I saw most of the extended scenes on youtube and some of them did add things from the book that were missing in the theatrical version.

Entangled
December 22nd, 2014, 11:15 AM
Is there an article that talks about Christopher's reaction? I'm curious.

fiðrildi
December 22nd, 2014, 11:32 AM
Is there an article that talks about Christopher's reaction? I'm curious.

This is the only article I know (from "Le Monde", July 2012): http://www.worldcrunch.com/culture-society/my-father-039-s-quot-eviscerated-quot-work-son-of-hobbit-scribe-j.r.r.-tolkien-finally-speaks-out/hobbit-silmarillion-lord-of-rings/c3s10299/

Kizuna
December 23rd, 2014, 02:08 PM
For our viewing of the last Hobbit movie I did my hair like Tauriels. I really liked this style because it was quite easy to make and held up really well. :)
It's two dutch braids in the front (not picking up more hair on the outer side) that's joined together in a regular braid. Then you make two "ropes" on either side and use a clear elastic to fasten them together with the braid. I'm definitely gonna make this hairstyle more often.

http://linnarvidsson.se/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Taurielhair4.jpg

http://linnarvidsson.se/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Taurielhair1.jpg

http://linnarvidsson.se/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Taurielhair2.jpg

The movie was better than I expected it to be, so that's a plus too. We did not see it in 3D because all they offered was 3D with high frame rate or 2D. I do now enjoy high frame rate at all, so we chose 2D which as usual looks like a movie should :).

FrostedLoki
December 25th, 2014, 05:48 PM
Kizuna that is beautiful!!!! :) Did it take a long time to do? Also, the curl at the bottom is adorable, that's my favourite part of Tauriel's hairstyle.

missblueeyes, I agree on the physics being off. There were some Legolas scenes I wanted to gag at!

Does anybody else measure hair growth by comparing it to which LOTR character their hair is closest to at the moment? (Okay, I cosplay as well so perhaps that's why I do it)
When I had my big oops too much taken off shaggy layered haircut two years back, I joked that I had Aragorn's hair. Aiming for Tauriel's or Arwen's length although I seem to be in the Thranduil phase at the moment, which isn't bad.

Cinnamonagouti
December 26th, 2014, 05:45 AM
Does anybody else measure hair growth by comparing it to which LOTR character their hair is closest to at the moment? (Okay, I cosplay as well so perhaps that's why I do it)
When I had my big oops too much taken off shaggy layered haircut two years back, I joked that I had Aragorn's hair. Aiming for Tauriel's or Arwen's length although I seem to be in the Thranduil phase at the moment, which isn't bad.
I don't know, is there anyone with MBL-ish hair?? It seems like there's Legolas at BSL, and Thranduil an Éowyn at waist, but no one in between. And of course the Elf women with hip or longer... However, I have wurly hair so I don't really feel it's accurate comparing myself to an elf - maybe I'm just a hobbit girl with unusual long hair ;)

Any suggestion what I can do with my hair for watching the movie on new year's day?? :) I'm going to do my sister's hair like Tauriel (like Kizuna - very pretty - but with an fishtail braid "in between" the lace braids and rope braids, instead).

Éowyn_GreyEyes
December 26th, 2014, 09:43 AM
Any suggestion what I can do with my hair for watching the movie on new year's day?? :) I'm going to do my sister's hair like Tauriel (like Kizuna - very pretty - but with an fishtail braid "in between" the lace braids and rope braids, instead).

Have you looked at maybe doing Fili's hair? I think it caters to thicker and more textured hair types. I tried but it just looked elvish because my hair is so straight XP

Hahaha sorry about this being a gif but it really shows off the hair nicely...
https://31.media.tumblr.com/2e0281f71c6ea4ba7f0530540376302b/tumblr_inline_ndpyt0garD1rmp0ui.gif

Cinnamonagouti
December 26th, 2014, 10:06 AM
Have you looked at maybe doing Fili's hair? I think it caters to thicker and more textured hair types. I tried but it just looked elvish because my hair is so straight XP

Hahaha sorry about this being a gif but it really shows off the hair nicely...
https://31.media.tumblr.com/2e0281f71c6ea4ba7f0530540376302b/tumblr_inline_ndpyt0garD1rmp0ui.gif
That's a good idea! I won't be able to have a moustache, though :P lol
I was also thinking of doing one of Éowyn's hairstyles, but as she's not in the movie, maybe it would be more fun to do Fili's. I'll see :P

And, btw - one thing I envy the type 1's is that you're able to do all these beautiful elvish hairstyles... doesn't always look as good (and definitely not as elvish) on curly hair :)

FrostedLoki
December 26th, 2014, 12:26 PM
I don't know, is there anyone with MBL-ish hair?? It seems like there's Legolas at BSL, and Thranduil an Éowyn at waist, but no one in between. And of course the Elf women with hip or longer... However, I have wurly hair so I don't really feel it's accurate comparing myself to an elf - maybe I'm just a hobbit girl with unusual long hair ;)

MBL... yeah that's a hard one. Haldir, perhaps? His seems shorter than Elrond/Thranduil but longer than Legolas? And I agree on trying Fili's hair style with your type as well. Could be cute! Or put ribbons in your hair Rosie Cotton style?
As far as hair type goes I figure that the 1s are best suited for Elvish hair, 2 for Dwarves, and 3 for Hobbits but at the end of the day - do what you like and have fun with it as we're all geeks loving hair! :)

Éowyn_GreyEyes
December 26th, 2014, 10:53 PM
That's a good idea! I won't be able to have a moustache, though :P lol
I was also thinking of doing one of Éowyn's hairstyles, but as she's not in the movie, maybe it would be more fun to do Fili's. I'll see :P

And, btw - one thing I envy the type 1's is that you're able to do all these beautiful elvish hairstyles... doesn't always look as good (and definitely not as elvish) on curly hair :)

You may be right, but I think there's ups and down to every type ;) I really wanted to do Fili's but can't really, and hobbit hair is so cute but that'll never happen sooooo XD love for all hair <3

As far as hair type goes I figure that the 1s are best suited for Elvish hair, 2 for Dwarves, and 3 for Hobbits but at the end of the day - do what you like and have fun with it as we're all geeks loving hair! :)

Agreed! All it is is fun :D

Cinnamonagouti
December 27th, 2014, 03:26 AM
Well, mostly I'm happy with my hair type - at least the frizz makes it easier for updos to stay in place ;)... and braids - I can lose my hair tie without realising for the whole day, it will stay braided either way :P. But still, I would rather have it either a bit straighter or a bit curlier. Oh well, I guess you're never really happy with what you have... :rolleyes: However my hair was straight-ish (1c?) until I was 12 yo, so I, too have had my Elven days :P

(sorry... OT!)

FrostedLoki
December 27th, 2014, 06:08 AM
No worries about OT Cinnamon. My hair was 1a back in the day before I cut it short and then let the layers grow themselves out. And as soon as I lose my hairtie, my whole braid comes undone pretty quick so I'm a bit jealous there.

Also, does anyone want to just stroke Thranduil's hair? It's so smooth and pretty!!! (Yes I'm a perv when it comes to hair :P )

http://41.media.tumblr.com/437f65c2c3a4ef6f682f508e05f43bd5/tumblr_nh5ml458ML1qhlfm8o1_500.jpg

Éowyn_GreyEyes
December 27th, 2014, 08:06 AM
Ugh tell me about it... I can have two in the same place and they'll still slide off...

Who's not a perv here when it comes to hair?! Especially Thranduils hair :rolleyes: there's something about Thranduils above the rest that seems so much more strokable :p (btw that's a gorgeous picture I have never seen :eek:)

Cinnamonagouti
December 27th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Haha, I agree on Thranduil's hair, Loki... I've noticed, since I started growing my hair out, the only thing I think about while watching the movies, is the hair and hairstyles of the characters. Well not the only thing, but you get the point :P. And sometimes I try to type their hair... Which I sometimes do with friends, classmates, strangers, too... creep :rolleyes:

FrostedLoki
December 27th, 2014, 04:37 PM
Eowyn I agree that Thranduil's hair seems more strokable than anybody else's. I'm assuming it to be because unlike the other male Elves, it's all down rather than a half-updo and that it's a 1a, unlike the 1b Elrond seems to have. And the way it flows... NOBODY has hair that flows that well and it just seems extra soft and strokable because of that.
^ Yeah, I hair type characters as well Cinnamon. I still can't figure out what type Aragorn would be, drove me nuts watching Fellowship today!

Seriously... need to make myself a Thranduil plushie and just stroke it's hair, perv style. :P Guess we're all hair pervs here!

Cinnamonagouti
December 27th, 2014, 05:25 PM
For the wet-look Aragorn has for most of the movies, I would say 2b, almost 2c maybe? And when it finally dries, more like 2a. Medium texture and ii thickness? haha :P

I crocheted a Gandalf the other day, can't help stroking his beard all the time... and it looks so fluffy and soft in the movies :D

ashke50
December 27th, 2014, 06:44 PM
I did my hair in an Elvish inspired style to see the Hobbit, with plaits and a small flexi to hold them together. I love the styles in this thread that have properly re-created some of the film styles! I did spend a lot of the film distracted by the elf hair!

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/ashke50/225a7a2f-2c0e-454c-b172-288ab6e0bc2c_zps792bf0fa.jpg (http://s87.photobucket.com/user/ashke50/media/225a7a2f-2c0e-454c-b172-288ab6e0bc2c_zps792bf0fa.jpg.html)

Quixii
December 27th, 2014, 08:22 PM
Lovely, ashke50!

fiðrildi
December 28th, 2014, 03:04 AM
I did my hair in an Elvish inspired style to see the Hobbit, with plaits and a small flexi to hold them together. I love the styles in this thread that have properly re-created some of the film styles! I did spend a lot of the film distracted by the elf hair!

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/ashke50/225a7a2f-2c0e-454c-b172-288ab6e0bc2c_zps792bf0fa.jpg (http://s87.photobucket.com/user/ashke50/media/225a7a2f-2c0e-454c-b172-288ab6e0bc2c_zps792bf0fa.jpg.html)

Wow ashke50, that's amazing! So beautiful :crush:

FrostedLoki
December 28th, 2014, 06:38 AM
ashke50 that braid is absolutely gorgeous!!! Love how you incorporated smaller braids into it and the green you're wearing has an Elven feel too. Well done indeed! :)

For the wet-look Aragorn has for most of the movies, I would say 2b, almost 2c maybe? And when it finally dries, more like 2a. Medium texture and ii thickness? haha :P

I crocheted a Gandalf the other day, can't help stroking his beard all the time... and it looks so fluffy and soft in the movies :DAwwww crochet Gandalf!!! :D Don't get me started on them beards in LOTR!
And I think you got Aragorn's hair right, it does seem far less wavy when it finally gets cleaned up at the end. Although I prefer his Ranger hair over his King hair... it's FAR sexier! :P

Cinnamonagouti
December 28th, 2014, 07:56 AM
Wow, absolutely beautiful!! Love your hair, so shiny and an amazing colour!

Agreed, Loki... I prefer his Ranger hair, too. So maybe he is a 2b/c but then he brushes out the waves when he becomes king and feels he must clean himself up a bit :P

Elven_Escapist
December 28th, 2014, 09:17 PM

Your hair is gorgeous! I love the braids woven into the main braid. :D

ashke50
December 30th, 2014, 01:10 PM
Lovely, ashke50!

Wow ashke50, that's amazing! So beautiful :crush:

ashke50 that braid is absolutely gorgeous!!! Love how you incorporated smaller braids into it and the green you're wearing has an Elven feel too. Well done indeed! :)

Wow, absolutely beautiful!! Love your hair, so shiny and an amazing colour!

Your hair is gorgeous! I love the braids woven into the main braid. :D

Thank you all! :flower: I love how small plaits in one strand of a larger plait looks so intricate, but is so easy to do.

The green dress I'm wearing is one of my favourites, and I paired it with brown leggings and boots to make it even more Elvish for the Hobbit, and then with red tights and green slippers for Christmas!

AdaClare
December 30th, 2014, 04:28 PM
So envious of everyone's braids - they look fantastic!! :) The best I can do is Eowyn's hair when it's down, since my hair is a similar color and wave pattern... :P

FrostedLoki
December 30th, 2014, 06:02 PM
I LOVE Eowyn's colour and wave pattern, it's gorgeous!!!

I feel like I ought to attempt Elrond's hairstyles at some point and take pictures, because I'm at the same length and similar colour. But those twisty things in the front look super hard to do! I can't wait till it gets longer so I can finally get cracking on my Luthien costume (I'm convinced her hair was an epic thing of majestic beauty and it's an inspiration to me!).

SwordWomanRiona
January 1st, 2015, 04:27 PM

Gorgeous!! :inlove: Both the hair and the tunic :)

SwordWomanRiona
January 1st, 2015, 04:30 PM
I went to the Hobbit première cosplaying an Elven ranger :). I wore my hair loose in a half-up with a leaf-ribbon and a circlet:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7493/16102459335_c9022019f4_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7564/16100565371_8e75c7e96d_c.jpg
Loved the film, my mum and I have seen it five times already :)

Entangled
January 2nd, 2015, 10:04 AM
Amazing, SwordWomanRiona, as usual! I love the circlet and bow!

As for me, I finally managed to see it, and I didn't get to wear anything special other than my One Ring. My dad, though, wore his bearded Viking helm that I crocheted him for Christmas. He got a lot of stares! It was quite fun. I wanted to wear my cloak, but I haven't found time to re-sew the clasp on yet.

fiðrildi
January 2nd, 2015, 12:05 PM
SwordWomanRiona, you and your mum are the coolest! Love both of your costumes (and love the fact that you're wearing an arrow inside your boot!).
I would like to see the Gandalf that's behind you, hehehe. And wow, 5 times... I want to see it a second time in the original version when I arrive in Iceland. I really dislike watching the dubbed version.

luvlonghair75
January 2nd, 2015, 12:47 PM
I love all the long-haired characters in LOTR and The Hobbit!! Even Thorin's hair.... sigh.... :)

SwordWomanRiona
January 2nd, 2015, 02:50 PM
Thanks, Entangled and fiðrildi :)! The arrow in the boot is what happens when you don't have a quiver yet :lol: They did keep them there as well, so no harm done :)

I would like to see the Gandalf that's behind you, hehehe. And wow, 5 times... I want to see it a second time in the original version when I arrive in Iceland. I really dislike watching the dubbed version.

Here he is :):
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7482/16100537811_42d500dc0f.jpg

I usually prefer VOS films as well, although I think the Hobbit films are rather well dubbed in Spanish. The LOTRA films, not so much, imo.

SwordWomanRiona
January 2nd, 2015, 02:51 PM
I love all the long-haired characters in LOTR and The Hobbit!! Even Thorin's hair.... sigh.... :)

Me too! Especially Thorin, Tauriel and Thranduil. I love Bilbo's curls as well. And Galadriel, of course.

fiðrildi
January 2nd, 2015, 03:09 PM
I usually prefer VOS films as well, although I think the Hobbit films are rather well dubbed in Spanish. The LOTRA films, not so much, imo. [/COLOR]

Yes, I love Bilbo's and Smaug's dubbed voices (and Gandalf's, of course). But still, there's nothing like watching films in VOS ;)

Thanks for sharing the Gandalf picture! He looks divine! :lol:

ashke50
January 3rd, 2015, 01:21 PM
Thanks SwordWomanRiona :)

Fantastic outfit you have there, and I love that your mum cosplays with you (and she makes an excellent Bilbo!)

squirrrel
January 4th, 2015, 12:46 AM
I'm loving all the outfits in this thread... Have been looking through it for inspiration... Next year one of the places I work is putting on a party for the people who use our services, and the theme is to be oscars... I'm wondering about maybe going as a tolkien elf... Just need to see if I can get hold of some elvish wear - and find something to do with my hair - need to make sure that it doesn't maim anyone when am on the dancefloor, and is somewhat protected though...

Ah well, I have 11 or so months to sort it! :)

Éowyn_GreyEyes
January 4th, 2015, 01:01 AM
That sounds like so much fun squirrrel! Hope it turns out how you hope! ... I always am concerned about tangling up in my own hair when dancing let alone other people around me hahaha

And a HAPPY BIRTHDAY to our most beloved professor Tolkien! A toast and celebrating with my third time to The Battle of the Five Armies! Who else plans to go five times? Hehehe

squirrrel
January 4th, 2015, 01:14 AM
Thanks Eowyn_GreyEyes. Think I'm going to have lots of fun preparing for it. And if I end up doing something else on the day, I'll just have to be an elf on my own time! ;-) So far I haven't had to worry about my hair when at one of these parties - it got chopped to pixie level in 2010 as I'd hurt an arm pretty badly and couldn't look after it properly... Plus, I only started going to these parties in around 2012... Hair currently hovering around BSL, but it seems possible that it could grow to somewhere around waist or even hip length by the time party arrives (hairdresser did say hair grew pretty quickly when I kept it short - she was always stunned by how much it had grown from appt to appt, think am 4 inches to waist, and maybe around 8 to hip). Guess I could do a somewhat protective style for use in general, and whip it into some kind of updo when the dancing begins...

Tolkien's birthday? Fab! Happy Birthday Sir! :) Enjoy the film... :)

missblueeyes
January 4th, 2015, 04:46 AM
I just found this really funny pic (http://www.pinterest.com/pin/80642649550846116/) on pinterest and I thought you'd appreciate it. :grin:

SwordWomanRiona
January 4th, 2015, 07:12 AM
That sounds like so much fun squirrrel! Hope it turns out how you hope! ... I always am concerned about tangling up in my own hair when dancing let alone other people around me hahaha

And a HAPPY BIRTHDAY to our most beloved professor Tolkien! A toast and celebrating with my third time to The Battle of the Five Armies! Who else plans to go five times? Hehehe

Happy (belated) birthday to Tolkien :)!

My mum and I have seen it five times, and we're definitely planning more trips to the cinema xD (our cinema credentials are FotR=5 times; The Two Towers= 7 times; RotK= 7-8 times (I think); A Unexpected Journey= 15 times (yeah...xD); Desolation=10 times (I think); BoFA= 5 times for now -> So we have to beat at least the Two Towers!).

SwordWomanRiona
January 4th, 2015, 07:14 AM
Fantastic outfit you have there, and I love that your mum cosplays with you (and she makes an excellent Bilbo!)

gustavonut
January 4th, 2015, 08:51 AM
Who else was disappointed by the new hobbit movie?

Éowyn_GreyEyes
January 4th, 2015, 09:28 AM
Happy (belated) birthday to Tolkien :)!

My mum and I have seen it five times, and we're definitely planning more trips to the cinema xD (our cinema credentials are FotR=5 times; The Two Towers= 7 times; RotK= 7-8 times (I think); A Unexpected Journey= 15 times (yeah...xD); Desolation=10 times (I think); BoFA= 5 times for now -> So we have to beat at least the Two Towers!).

WOW! That is fantastic! I think I was around five or six when Fellowship came out... My dad rented it from Blockbuster and I tried to watch it with him... I could handle everything until the first wraithshowed up hahaha So I ended up watching them six years later with my stepdad :) we saw AUJ twice, and DoS twice... Each on their primere and then another time after. I just want to see BotFA five times, once for each army hahaha

Who else was disappointed by the new hobbit movie?

I am SO disappointed with lots of things from An Unexpected Journey through to The Battle of the Five Armies (not to mention LotR) and could rant for hours about all my complaints... But like The Lord of the Rings I think I (and I hope most other people) will forgive the nature cinematography many years down the road and accept P Jacksons saga as an awesome adaptation. I remember watching The Lord of theRings and then reading the books. I was simply heartbroken at the vast differences between the two. But now I hope to appreciate that they are two sides to the same coin. I am a book lover first and foremost, but also an artist who loves to see my favourite world on screen at the hands of so many talented people.:blossom:

askan
January 4th, 2015, 01:34 PM
I went to see The battle of five armies this Saturday with my little brother. Unfortunately I didn't have time to do my hair in any special way since it was a very spontaneous idea. I liked the movie - I think the exaggerated special effects (legolas running on the falling stones and making a backflip off the guy he just killed for example) slightly kills the solemnity and epicness, but I love Martin Freeman and Gandalf and the dragon making chaos was really really cool.

Anyway, I'm going again on Tuesday with a couple of friends so I will try and do something elvish with my hair. I had a leaf-of-lothlorien-broche but I think I have lost if unfortunately, but flexi8s are great for an elvish look!
I ill definitely look through this thread for inspiration, there are such beautiful hairdos in here!

SnowbirdRose
January 4th, 2015, 04:35 PM
I am SO disappointed with lots of things from An Unexpected Journey through to The Battle of the Five Armies (not to mention LotR) and could rant for hours about all my complaints... But like The Lord of the Rings I think I (and I hope most other people) will forgive the nature cinematography many years down the road and accept P Jacksons saga as an awesome adaptation. I remember watching The Lord of theRings and then reading the books. I was simply heartbroken at the vast differences between the two. But now I hope to appreciate that they are two sides to the same coin. I am a book lover first and foremost, but also an artist who loves to see my favourite world on screen at the hands of so many talented people.:blossom:[/QUOTE]

I totally agree! Be honest, would the movies have been as popular if they were strictly canon? I would have cringed if some poor actors had to sing "Tra la la lally come back to the valley" Blech!

Lady melissa
January 5th, 2015, 05:15 AM
There are lots of things wrong with the new Hobbit movies, but still, any trip to Middle-Earth is okay by me...and i'm especially happy there are so many elves in it :)...i went to see it for the 2nd time yesterday and i think i noticed much more details i could appreciate now, especially concerning Tauriel and Thranduil...(i think i have a crush on Thranduil now - i loved especially the scene where he's all alone surrounded by the orcs in the city of Dale in the last movie - and also his arrogance in the tent with Bard and Gandalf)

FrostedLoki
January 5th, 2015, 09:44 AM
Lady melissa, Thranduil MADE that film for me. Seriously. I love how he got a whole bunch of orcs/goblins/filth on his elk and simultaneously beheaded all of them. Pure genius! Lee Pace did such a terrific job portraying him, the way he moved alone was brilliant and yes to the tent arrogance. Even though I love me some Bard too!

Elven_Escapist
January 6th, 2015, 12:57 AM
I just found this really funny pic (http://www.pinterest.com/pin/80642649550846116/) on pinterest and I thought you'd appreciate it. :grin:

Haha, I could definitely see Thranduil doing this and mumbling the whole time about how awful dwarves are.

Lady melissa
January 6th, 2015, 03:15 AM
In the end of the movie, Thranduil becomes almost human and you see beyond his arrogance, you see the pain about the loss of his death wife...my poor heart...sigh

sjlaurence
January 6th, 2015, 05:01 AM
...I had a leaf-of-lothlorien-broche but I think I have lost if unfortunately..

Not idly do the leaves of Lorien fall. (Sorry I had too :o)

Lady melissa
January 6th, 2015, 07:30 AM

hahaha - i wore mine sunday to go to the cinema and watch it for the second time and yesterday i wore my brooch to work

Éowyn_GreyEyes
January 6th, 2015, 08:42 AM

Brilliant! hahaha the only time I 'lost' my leaf brooch was when I took it off and set it down and could't remember where! Its now stitched onto my fellowship cloak.... Its going nowhere any time soon :P

Éowyn_GreyEyes
January 7th, 2015, 08:26 PM
Hi Tolkien fans! I'm just beginning a weekly book study on The Silmarillion with the local Tolkien Society I'm a member of... Would anyone here be interested in seeing notes, and discussion comments? I'm thinking of including it in with my blog entries if a few people are interested. Perhaps if theres lots of us we could do our own group here (and when I mean here I don't mean this specific thread...) and go through the reading schedule together. This week the readings are Ainulindalë and Valaquenta.
Let me know if your interested in seeing in my blog and I will stick a link in my siggy :)

Key
January 7th, 2015, 08:39 PM
BotFA had me tearing up like three times.

I have two friends that are twins that dress as Fili and Kili, so it was hard to watch.

There's a bit of emptiness knowing that there likely won't be any more Middle Earth stories told in movie form, but I at least look forward to playing Shadows of Mordor. The nemesis system looks really sophisticated.

squirrrel
January 8th, 2015, 01:59 AM
Oooh! I'd be interested in that I think Éowyn_GreyEyes. Not too sure if I still have a copy of the book, nor do I remember managing to get through it once I had it, but I would definitely be interested in at least hearing about your discussions. :)

fiðrildi
January 8th, 2015, 02:54 AM
Éowyn_GreyEyes, that sounds very interesting, but sadly I'm still reading the Fellowship of the Ring and won't go into the Silmarillion until I have finished the trilogy :P

I think a lot of people would be interested in your discussions, so don't hesitate to stick a link :)

Lady melissa
January 8th, 2015, 03:44 AM
i'd love to see these discussions too :)

Éowyn_GreyEyes
January 8th, 2015, 08:41 AM
That great everyone! I will add my blog to my siggy then. I will probably be posting the notes first (will do those for tomorrows blog) and discussion later (for an entry on Monday). I will have my notes ready but the next discussion isn't until Monday hahaha hope you guys enjoy, and don't hesitate to ask questions or comment on anything, I would love to bring questions to the discussion group!

FrostedLoki
January 8th, 2015, 05:50 PM
Hi Tolkien fans! I'm just beginning a weekly book study on The Silmarillion with the local Tolkien Society I'm a member of... Would anyone here be interested in seeing notes, and discussion comments? I'm thinking of including it in with my blog entries if a few people are interested. Perhaps if theres lots of us we could do our own group here (and when I mean here I don't mean this specific thread...) and go through the reading schedule together. This week the readings are Ainulindalë and Valaquenta.
Let me know if your interested in seeing in my blog and I will stick a link in my siggy :)
Count me in! I have just read the first two chapters of the Silmarillion (read it a few years ago and now I want to reread it proper after lots of skimming) and would happily go along with you for the rest of the journey. :D

Also, do share the Silmarillion Reader's Guide with your group. It's super helpful! Here! (http://askmiddlearth.tumblr.com/guides)

Gotta say, get ready for browsing DeviantArt for hours to perv over Elf boys and their pretty hair. I think I'm swooning over Maedhros like I'm in puberty all over again! Long hair red.... yum!

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2014/056/3/0/the_best_creation_of_feanor_by_theroiz-d77yskj.png
^ And that's just the start of it. Elven boys, sigh! :crush::heartbeat:heartbeat:heartbeat

Éowyn_GreyEyes
January 8th, 2015, 05:55 PM
Count me in! I have just read the first two chapters of the Silmarillion (read it a few years ago and now I want to reread it proper after lots of skimming) and would happily go along with you for the rest of the journey. :D

Also, do share the Silmarillion Reader's Guide with your group. It's super helpful! Here! (http://askmiddlearth.tumblr.com/guides)

Gotta say, get ready for browsing DeviantArt for hours to perv over Elf boys and their pretty hair. I think I'm swooning over Maedhros like I'm in puberty all over again! Long hair red.... yum!

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2014/056/3/0/the_best_creation_of_feanor_by_theroiz-d77yskj.png
^ And that's just the start of it. Elven boys, sigh! :crush::heartbeat:heartbeat:heartbeat

I love reading the Silmarillion but only ever made it halfway through (about three times) because school has always taken over... But now that I'm in a book study I HAVE to focus... and now have time for notes.

Thank you so much for the link I will have to take a look at it!

Hahaha love his hair! I will probably be going to draw quite a bit this time around, so excited!!!

LiftItNaked
January 8th, 2015, 06:16 PM
So hubby and I finally got to see the new Hobbit movie (it's hard to find a babysitter for the little one so it's not often that we make it to the movies) and after checking this thread, I'm disappointed that I didn't think to dress up for it! The pictures everyone has posted look amazing!

While there are major differences in the books and the movies, I do have to say (as a total D&D nerd) that they nailed the dragon. I thought the dragon was spot on with his intelligence, ego, and everything else.

Éowyn_GreyEyes
January 8th, 2015, 07:47 PM
So hubby and I finally got to see the new Hobbit movie (it's hard to find a babysitter for the little one so it's not often that we make it to the movies) and after checking this thread, I'm disappointed that I didn't think to dress up for it! The pictures everyone has posted look amazing!

While there are major differences in the books and the movies, I do have to say (as a total D&D nerd) that they nailed the dragon. I thought the dragon was spot on with his intelligence, ego, and everything else.

Benedict Cumberbatch plays a fantasic dragon and his voice is 100% perfect! I agree that Smaug's performance was amazing!

Entangled
January 8th, 2015, 08:57 PM
Yes, I think the interplay was one of the strong parts in retrospect. When I first watched 2, I was disappointed that so much of the journey and quirky adventure tone was sacrificed for loud Smaug-ness, but overall those scenes were very well done. Some of my other favorites: Laketown in general, Bard and his family, and anything Bilbo. Some puzzling things were the giant earth chewer worms, Tauriel-Kili, Legolas spurning physics and defying gravity, and the strange Galadriel-Gandalf scene. Some upsetting things: gaining entry into Beorn's house, the Goblin cave chase, and the extremely short journey. One other thing that was mildly annoying: I'm not really much of a feminist, but it rankled a little that even though Tauriel and Galadriel were clearly competent, Galadriel spent all of her 'power' scene incapacitated and looking weak. Tauriel needs help in any important fight scene, even though she should have been clearly equipped to deal with it. None of the male characters dealt with this ( though Gandalf spent a lot of time lookng helpless, but at least he did something). That was not necessary, film makers! I'm fine with Tolkien's women and their roles. However, the filmmakers seem to use crutches like damsel moments and dish dirt on Tolkien and his work, making him look much more chauvinist and racist than he was.

However, overall I had a great foray into Middle Earth, and enjoyed the loud fight scenes and Thorin's character development; as well as the tent scene. There was lots of great stuff, and lots of not-so-great stuff. I'm excited for the extended addition.

missblueeyes
January 9th, 2015, 03:16 AM

:yumm::inlove: I need more of where this comes from. <3 (high value comment.)

Lady melissa
January 9th, 2015, 05:26 AM
Legolas spurning physics and defying gravity

LOL - Didn't you see the LOTR-movies??? I just loved it to see him kick ass :D

http://youtu.be/tMTYFeAbTEk

Ani Ta
January 9th, 2015, 05:49 AM
In the end of the movie, Thranduil becomes almost human and you see beyond his arrogance, you see the pain about the loss of his death wife...my poor heart...sigh

Indeed!!! I did not like him at the beginning but this part is heart-tearing and so touching! It changed my mind completely! I'm totally looking forward to seeing the movie for the third time in the cinema tomorrow :)

Éowyn_GreyEyes, it would be fantastic if you could share! Do you mean with blog your blog here in the forums or do you have a separate blog outside of the LHC?

Éowyn_GreyEyes
January 9th, 2015, 08:35 AM
Indeed!!! I did not like him at the beginning but this part is heart-tearing and so touching! It changed my mind completely! I'm totally looking forward to seeing the movie for the third time in the cinema tomorrow :)

Éowyn_GreyEyes, it would be fantastic if you could share! Do you mean with blog your blog here in the forums or do you have a separate blog outside of the LHC?

I always blab about Tolkien on my blog here, so now it will just be longer :) although I have though many times about doing a site blog.... I don't think I could keep up with one hahaha

Elven_Escapist
January 9th, 2015, 05:11 PM

Maedhros is my favorite from the Silmarillion :3 Not just because he's beautiful, though that doesn't hurt one bit ;)

Yes, I think the interplay was one of the strong parts in retrospect. When I first watched 2, I was disappointed that so much of the journey and quirky adventure tone was sacrificed for loud Smaug-ness, but overall those scenes were very well done. Some of my other favorites: Laketown in general, Bard and his family, and anything Bilbo. Some puzzling things were the giant earth chewer worms, Tauriel-Kili, Legolas spurning physics and defying gravity, and the strange Galadriel-Gandalf scene. Some upsetting things: gaining entry into Beorn's house, the Goblin cave chase, and the extremely short journey. One other thing that was mildly annoying: I'm not really much of a feminist, but it rankled a little that even though Tauriel and Galadriel were clearly competent, Galadriel spent all of her 'power' scene incapacitated and looking weak. Tauriel needs help in any important fight scene, even though she should have been clearly equipped to deal with it. None of the male characters dealt with this ( though Gandalf spent a lot of time lookng helpless, but at least he did something). That was not necessary, film makers! I'm fine with Tolkien's women and their roles. However, the filmmakers seem to use crutches like damsel moments and dish dirt on Tolkien and his work, making him look much more chauvinist and racist than he was.

However, overall I had a great foray into Middle Earth, and enjoyed the loud fight scenes and Thorin's character development; as well as the tent scene. There was lots of great stuff, and lots of not-so-great stuff. I'm excited for the extended addition.

I agree, I really do not like how they added Tauriel for a strong female character and then turned her into just another girl-in-love character. I wasn't too keen on Tauriel being added in the first place, but if they had played it right I'm sure her character would have grown on me. But I still don't like her... Plus if they wanted a strong female character they could have definitely added more Galadriel and not made her seem so weak and fragile after using her "powers". I mean really, Galadriel survived the crossing of the Helcaraxë when many did not. XP

FrostedLoki
January 9th, 2015, 06:04 PM
:yumm::inlove: I need more of where this comes from. <3 (high value comment.)

DeviantArt... which I know ain't helpful but a search for "Maedhros" at one point had me scrolling left and right and this was the yummiest thing that I ever saw. Granted I'm also a huge fan of kimberly80's art there and my friend also has a Pinterest board with loads of cute Elven boys, their hair, and often shirtlessness (double points if their Noldor physiques are done justice!). Here is the board of yum (https://www.pinterest.com/spicedwine/tolkien-characters-~-canon-and-original/)

Eleven_Escapist I love me some Maedhros too. Luthien and Beren are my favourite by a long shot (I'm trying to nag my fiance into cosplaying Beren for me!) but Maedhros is definitely up there in my fave few. :)

Entangled
January 9th, 2015, 06:14 PM
LOL - Didn't you see the LOTR-movies??? I just loved it to see him kick ass :D

Yep, saw that in RotK. Movie Legolas exists to provide eye candy and decipher the plot if you're lost by restating the obvious. I'm not fond of his disregard for physics.

ETA: Of course, I'm still fond of him. He's just somewhat of a running joke with my friends and I.

Entangled
January 9th, 2015, 06:23 PM
Snip
I agree, I really do not like how they added Tauriel for a strong female character and then turned her into just another girl-in-love character. I wasn't too keen on Tauriel being added in the first place, but if they had played it right I'm sure her character would have grown on me. But I still don't like her... Plus if they wanted a strong female character they could have definitely added more Galadriel and not made her seem so weak and fragile after using her "powers". I mean really, Galadriel survived the crossing of the Helcaraxë when many did not. XP

Exactly! Reading the Silmarillion gave me a new love for Galadriel. Plus, the whole exodus is one of my favorite love/hate stories. How could they burn the ships they KILLED for? I wouldn't have minded after-magic weakness if she had been fighting before, but she didn't. She just watched with a helpless expression. I didn't like Saruman's comments one bit. It was like she was a needy child that let out a burst of powerful but accidental and desperate magic and now elves and wizards needed to clean up after her.:/ I mean, I don't like Saruman, but no one stood up to him!

missblueeyes
January 10th, 2015, 05:10 AM
DeviantArt... which I know ain't helpful but a search for "Maedhros" at one point had me scrolling left and right and this was the yummiest thing that I ever saw. Granted I'm also a huge fan of kimberly80's art there and my friend also has a Pinterest board with loads of cute Elven boys, their hair, and often shirtlessness (double points if their Noldor physiques are done justice!). Here is the board of yum (https://www.pinterest.com/spicedwine/tolkien-characters-~-canon-and-original/)

Oh, this is golden! Thank you so much for sharing, Loki! <3 There are so many hair inspirations for me on that board, it's crazy! (and a lot of eye candy, of course :grin:) I also looked up kimberly80 on dA and I gotta say that her paintings are magnificent!

FrostedLoki
January 10th, 2015, 04:16 PM
Oh, this is golden! Thank you so much for sharing, Loki! <3 There are so many hair inspirations for me on that board, it's crazy! (and a lot of eye candy, of course :grin:) I also looked up kimberly80 on dA and I gotta say that her paintings are magnificent!
At your service! *bows* Glad that I could have been of help.
And I totally agree on hair inspiration, I'm dying to get some henna/indigo and go back to black again (geez, thanks Luthien and Feanor!) although also flirting w/the idea of plain red henna as well (glares at Tauriel and Maedhros). DECISIONS!

Also, found a wonky Christmas decoration at home and it reminded me of Thranduil's crown so this is what happened today:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10891463_10153077695156424_6391437590883912465_n.j pg?oh=cb05a96d6f58b7405b0985dd45b8d196&oe=55214614&__gda__=1432995074_3ffde6731e14ef76615bf658e1c995b 7
https://scontent-a-vie.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10933799_10153077695361424_1146434470568037444_n.j pg?oh=ab0ac7e43b52bb2426b264ec118d1e3f&oe=556E68A3

missblueeyes
January 10th, 2015, 04:42 PM
At your service! *bows* Glad that I could have been of help.
And I totally agree on hair inspiration, I'm dying to get some henna/indigo and go back to black again (geez, thanks Luthien and Feanor!) although also flirting w/the idea of plain red henna as well (glares at Tauriel and Maedhros). DECISIONS!

Also, found a wonky Christmas decoration at home and it reminded me of Thranduil's crown so this is what happened today:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10891463_10153077695156424_6391437590883912465_n.j pg?oh=cb05a96d6f58b7405b0985dd45b8d196&oe=55214614&__gda__=1432995074_3ffde6731e14ef76615bf658e1c995b 7
https://scontent-a-vie.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10933799_10153077695361424_1146434470568037444_n.j pg?oh=ab0ac7e43b52bb2426b264ec118d1e3f&oe=556E68A3

That's a hard decision, especially since it's permanent. I think indigo would work best, though, since your ends are already quite dark. Don't quote me on that, I'm by far not a henna expert. Maedhros does have really nice hair, though.
I love the headpiece / christmas decoration! I think Thranduil would totally rock that!

Éowyn_GreyEyes
January 13th, 2015, 08:53 AM
Exactly! Reading the Silmarillion gave me a new love for Galadriel. Plus, the whole exodus is one of my favorite love/hate stories. How could they burn the ships they KILLED for? I wouldn't have minded after-magic weakness if she had been fighting before, but she didn't. She just watched with a helpless expression. I didn't like Saruman's comments one bit. It was like she was a needy child that let out a burst of powerful but accidental and desperate magic and now elves and wizards needed to clean up after her.:/ I mean, I don't like Saruman, but no one stood up to him!

I was also disappointed that her use of power seemed to weaken her so much... But seeing as it comes from Nenya... I don't think that power is limitless, not to mention it is meant for protection, not for violent use. One thing I do wish had been more expanded upon were the Elven Rings of Power and what they were used for. The ring bearers powers played vital roles in The Lord of the Rings as well... and they were only passing glances in the films. The decline of Lórien in accordance with Nenya, or the healing power of Elrond through Vilya...

As for Saruman... Im really going to need some extended film to be content with his "leave Sauron to me" statement...

Elven_Escapist
January 13th, 2015, 03:17 PM

Arwen used to be my favorite (mainly because when I was 12 I had a huge crush on Aragorn) and then I read the Silmarillion and now so many others are definitely my favorite over her. Especially Galadriel, Maedhros, Beleg, and Luthien. :) Anything to do with the Fëanorians is my favorite in the Silmarillion. Didn't he burn the ships to stop Fingolfin and his company from gaining access to Middle Earth? If he was desperate enough to kill in the first place I could see then how he could burn the ships even after killing for them. Also he would have no more use for them anyway, he had nothing to gain from keeping them.

Entangled
January 13th, 2015, 07:23 PM
What was heartbreaking to me was how the sea elves rejected the Feanorians initial request, saying that the ships were as dear as silmarils were to the Noldor. They told the Feanorians that their ships were irreplaceable, and the Feanorians took them regardless and cared not for their value. They killed elves defending their greatest treasures, and then burned them under the orders of an obsessed, half deranged elf and burned the ships and stranded their brothers and sisters. It's agonizing to read, but beautiful.

ETA: Yes, what I read as Feanor's paranoia caused him to order the burning of the ships.

As for the power of rings, I do wish they had been elaborated. I don't mind the toll of magic; I just didn't enjoy its presentation. It would have been nice to see her actively fighting, whether by mind or by might, rather than sitting helplessly and then having an episode in a moment of desperation.

FrostedLoki
January 15th, 2015, 04:56 PM
That's a hard decision, especially since it's permanent. I think indigo would work best, though, since your ends are already quite dark. Don't quote me on that, I'm by far not a henna expert. Maedhros does have really nice hair, though.
I love the headpiece / christmas decoration! I think Thranduil would totally rock that!
Awwww so glad you like my Thranduil headpiece! :)
It's a tough call that's true. Part of me is going "try both the red hue and the black hue with manic panic first" as that dye is washable and doesn't harm your hair. And then decide from there what looks better on me.

Also, for your amusement. Because somewhat Maedhros' hair is STILL swoon-worthy even when Sauron is torturing him. My poor smexy baby! :P
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/239/5/c/prisoner__sauron_x_maedhros__by_the_alef-d7wv52h.jpg

AmberJewel
January 15th, 2015, 06:38 PM
I thought it was Morgoth...?

Éowyn_GreyEyes
January 16th, 2015, 08:38 AM
I thought it was Morgoth...?

Correct...

FrostedLoki
January 16th, 2015, 10:26 AM
My bad folks. This is what happens when you post at 2am. It was Morgoth. That Silmaril crown is proof in and of itself.

Granted, Sauron/Maedhros is a ship in fanfics. And that disturbs me. So much.

Éowyn_GreyEyes
January 16th, 2015, 10:22 PM
My bad folks. This is what happens when you post at 2am. It was Morgoth. That Silmaril crown is proof in and of itself.

Granted, Sauron/Maedhros is a ship in fanfics. And that disturbs me. So much.

I would be surprised if there weren't even more strange ships in fanfic... ;P

missblueeyes
January 17th, 2015, 05:58 AM
I would be surprised if there weren't even more strange ships in fanfic... ;P

Oh, there are, trust me... If you can imagine it, it's out there.
I might have read some Haldir/Legolas the other day.

TwilightShadow
January 24th, 2015, 03:56 PM
Joining this thread to post a picture of the hairstyle I wore for the premiere of BOTFA (I tried to recreate Tauriel's hairstyle, although the fishtail braid isn't very obvious, lol). I actually went to a Hobbit marathon, because it was the last time I had the opportunity to see any new Tolkien movie in the theater; I doubt the Silmarillion will ever become a feature film, at least in the following years.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15233&d=1421254010

Aleahcim
January 24th, 2015, 05:14 PM
Hey, does anyone know of a maker that makes LotTs inspired hair toys?

TwilightShadow
January 25th, 2015, 01:41 AM
Hey, does anyone know of a maker that makes LotTs inspired hair toys?

There are some stores on Etsy, for example:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BeasleysWonders She does custom orders as well; if you look at her sales, she has done some headdresses inspired by Arwen's coronation circlet.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/NightBlooming If you look at custom orders, she has Evenstar hairsticks. I also saw some time ago a One Ring hairstick.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/AKCWoodworking?ref=l2-shop-info-name I have a sword hairstick from this shop; you can find lots of sword hairsticks, some dwarf axe hairsticks, a wizard's staff hairstick, etc.

Elven_Escapist
January 25th, 2015, 11:13 PM
Joining this thread to post a picture of the hairstyle I wore for the premiere of BOTFA (I tried to recreate Tauriel's hairstyle, although the fishtail braid isn't very obvious, lol). I actually went to a Hobbit marathon, because it was the last time I had the opportunity to see any new Tolkien movie in the theater; I doubt the Silmarillion will ever become a feature film, at least in the following years.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15233&d=1421254010
I really like the sleeves on your dress :p and your hair is pretty too :)

TwilightShadow
January 25th, 2015, 11:47 PM
Thank you, Elven_Escapist. :) In case you're interested in buying one, it's this dress: http://armstreet.com/store/medieval-clothing/medieval-dress-fantasy-tunic-costume

Éowyn_GreyEyes
January 26th, 2015, 08:55 PM
Oooooooh so pretty!!!! I would totally wear that just about anywhere... Hahaha

Quixii
January 26th, 2015, 11:23 PM
:hmm: Would it be weird to name a future child Lorien? (And if not would it be better to be Lórien?)

Lindenare
January 26th, 2015, 11:32 PM
:hmm: Would it be weird to name a future child Lorien? (And if not would it be better to be Lórien?)

When I was around 8-9, the wife of my church's youth pastor was named Lorien. I have no idea if she wrote it with the accent or not, though it would be more proper to have it. Now, though, I think of it more as a male name because of Irmo.

Éowyn_GreyEyes
January 27th, 2015, 08:08 AM

Well... I would love to name a daughter Galadriel or Éowyn so.... Hahaha Lorien/Lórien just sounds exotic sort of. People might not recognize it right away as Tolkien related whereas straight up names from super recognizable movies....

Elven_Escapist
January 27th, 2015, 07:29 PM
Thank you, Elven_Escapist. :) In case you're interested in buying one, it's this dress: http://armstreet.com/store/medieval-clothing/medieval-dress-fantasy-tunic-costume

Thank you for the link, I saved it just in case :)

If I ever have children I am pretty sure they will end up with Tolkien inspired names. I think Lorien is close enough to Lauren to not sound too out there. I personally like it better with the accent.

My dad often jokes saying that if I have children I will name them Frodo, Bilbo, Sauron, Smeagol, etc. XD

Quixii
January 28th, 2015, 12:16 AM
I mean, I've pretty much decided that at some point I'll get two cats and name them Merry and Pippin. :rolling: I am a fan of LOTR names.
I just keep thinking lately how Lórien is such a pretty name (well, so is Lothlórien) depicting such a pretty place, and it's not so direct a reference that would run into issues with that and said child could go by something like Lori if she wanted a more "normal" name.

TwilightShadow
January 28th, 2015, 09:47 AM
I mean, I've pretty much decided that at some point I'll get two cats and name them Merry and Pippin. :rolling: I am a fan of LOTR names.

That's a fantastic idea!

Lindenare
January 28th, 2015, 03:46 PM
I mean, I've pretty much decided that at some point I'll get two cats and name them Merry and Pippin.

My last two cats were Pippin and Merry, in that order. I will say that if you name a tom Merry, everyone will think he's a female named Mary.

Nadine <3
January 28th, 2015, 05:35 PM
I'm kinda new to this...My boyfriend forced me to sit and watch LOTR (to be fair, I made him sit and watch Harry Potter lol) and now I'm working my way through The Fellowship of the ring for my first time. I usually stick with more modern novels, and I've had to google a few terms while reading so it's taking me awhile to read, but so far I am enjoying it! It's just different from what I'm used to :) Hi everyone!

Éowyn_GreyEyes
January 28th, 2015, 05:51 PM
I'm kinda new to this...My boyfriend forced me to sit and watch LOTR (to be fair, I made him sit and watch Harry Potter lol) and now I'm working my way through The Fellowship of the ring for my first time. I usually stick with more modern novels, and I've had to google a few terms while reading so it's taking me awhile to read, but so far I am enjoying it! It's just different from what I'm used to :) Hi everyone!

Yay congrats! I think Tolkien is slow for any first reader :) i started Fellowship in grade seven and it took me a year to finish Two Towers and Return of the King. Just go slow and take it all in in time! I know for me once I read it it made reading classics and older literature so much more enjoyable.

AmberJewel
January 28th, 2015, 06:23 PM
Congratulations to both you and your boyfriend! I talked at least two friends into reading the books when I was in college. (Tried not to be too annoying about it, but hey, I'm obsessed!) I first read them when I was 12 or 13. Didn't understand everything, but absolutely LOVED them! Hope you enjoy reading. :)

sjlaurence
January 29th, 2015, 05:00 AM
... :) Hi everyone!

Hi! Welcome aboard :)

LeMimi13
January 29th, 2015, 06:27 AM
Omg THIS TOPIC

Eraisuithiel
January 29th, 2015, 07:33 AM
This is the best topic ever. I love the ideas people have had. I usually just go with lace braids from my ears back held together with a brown ribbon or bit of rawhide, so the others seem very pretty.

TwilightShadow
January 29th, 2015, 05:33 PM

Welcome abord, Nadine! Don't worry about the language, in time maybe you'll find you like older novels just as well as newer ones.

Quixii
January 29th, 2015, 07:38 PM
See, I was a bit the reverse. As a life-long fan of Greek and Roman mythology who is now a Classics major partly because I loved the Odyssey so much, LOTR reminded me of the fun aspects of the old classics while being new and fresh in its own way. :)

Lindenare
January 29th, 2015, 09:22 PM
I grew up reading Greek and Norse mythology and fairy tales in equal measure. Still love all of those, too. Tolkien was added to the mix when I was ten - Dad read The Hobbit aloud to my brother and I, then LotR when we begged for more. I read the Silmarillion a year or so after we finished and spent ages trying to get him to read it to us, too.

TwilightShadow
January 31st, 2015, 10:39 AM
Oooooooh so pretty!!!! I would totally wear that just about anywhere... Hahaha

Thanks. I actually wore it a few times besides the Hobbit premieres: this Halloween; at a piano concert; and on an evening out at a medieval restaurant. Last year, I went to the Hobbit:DOG premiere after work, so I went to work all dressed up. I received a lot of compliments that day. :)

FrostedLoki
January 31st, 2015, 11:48 AM
Welcome aboard, Nadine! And don't worry about the language, I didn't understand it the greatest my first time through but after a while it grows on you.

Also, more Noldor boys and their pretty hair. Because I'm a hair perv. Maedhros with his long red hair and Celegorm with his fair hair here (how sickeningly perfect are those curls?).... yum!!!
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/055/1/c/1ce55d50b75fe40e938c8d0fdf7b1f77-d4qso76.jpg

Echileruwen
January 31st, 2015, 12:00 PM
Agreed. How do they manage to run around fighting in the wind and everything else and have their hair remain perfect? It must be an elf thing.

I just had an idea for elvish hair. Elves are elegant. I try to make the house look a bit like Lothlorien or Rivendell, and use fake ivy vines as tie backs on the curtains in my kitchen and dining room. Maybe a small ivy type vine wound around a long ponytail would look elvish during a LOTR movie.

FrostedLoki
January 31st, 2015, 12:09 PM
Agreed. How do they manage to run around fighting in the wind and everything else and have their hair remain perfect? It must be an elf thing.

I just had an idea for elvish hair. Elves are elegant. I try to make the house look a bit like Lothlorien or Rivendell, and use fake ivy vines as tie backs on the curtains in my kitchen and dining room. Maybe a small ivy type vine wound around a long ponytail would look elvish during a LOTR movie.
You know how Thranduil in the Desolation of Smaug shows his dragon burns to Thorin but hides it with a "glamour" again afterwards? I have a head cannon that elves DO get their hair all sweaty and tangled and whatnot just like the rest of us but they just use a glamour of sorts to hide it. Their hair appears perfect to all others and when they get home they can brush it out and make it all pretty again w/o publicly humiliating themselves.

I like your Elvish hair idea too! :) And once I move in with my fiance we are planning on making our home look like Rivendell as well.

Eraisuithiel
January 31st, 2015, 12:33 PM
You know how Thranduil in the Desolation of Smaug shows his dragon burns to Thorin but hides it with a "glamour" again afterwards? I have a head cannon that elves DO get their hair all sweaty and tangled and whatnot just like the rest of us but they just use a glamour of sorts to hide it. Their hair appears perfect to all others and when they get home they can brush it out and make it all pretty again w/o publicly humiliating themselves.

That's the best theory I've ever heard for perfect elvish hair. No fair that we can't all do that!

Echileruwen
January 31st, 2015, 02:48 PM

I like your Elvish hair idea too! :) And once I move in with my fiance we are planning on making our home look like Rivendell as well.

So that's how they do it! :)

AmberJewel
January 31st, 2015, 03:31 PM
The movies do make you wonder how they can always manage to look so flawless. The books never really mentioned specifics about elvish appearances (that I can remember). Except maybe for the part about them being "fair", and Legolas was the only one well-rested after their long, three-day run. The books seem to dwell more on the eyes. But I do love the above theory! Is there any Tolkien reference to "glamour"?

FrostedLoki
January 31st, 2015, 05:20 PM
I'm so happy you guys like my theory! :cheese: *dances*

There is NO official Tolkien reference regarding it, or "glamours" to my knowledge, but I'm sticking to my headcannon. :) And boy do I wish I could use that trick on my own hair. Sigh.

AmberJewel, the books do dwell more on the eyes. As for Legolas being well-rested after a three-day run... I want Elven stamina too. Sadly running for half an hour kills me, yet alone three days!

missblueeyes
February 1st, 2015, 02:39 AM
I love the 'glamour' theory! Too bad there is no official reference.
But if I'm honest, I think I'd prefer nice and sleek hair instead of hidden, muddled up and sweaty hair, haha. But I would like to make it appear as if it were 'down' if it's in an updo. That'd be great.
I'd just not go to war / do any fighting if I were an elf... I'd probably be terrible with a bow anyways, let alone swords.

Lady melissa
February 2nd, 2015, 03:43 AM
I try to make the house look a bit like Lothlorien or Rivendell, and use fake ivy vines as tie backs on the curtains in my kitchen and dining room. Maybe a small ivy type vine wound around a long ponytail would look elvish during a LOTR movie.

i also wanted to do that in my home, but don't know where to start, yours is a very good idea :)
For the moment my house looks a bit victorian - i have a preference for that period, but also for art nouveau which is very elvenlike, but not affordable LOL

missblueeyes
February 2nd, 2015, 09:27 AM
I've been googling a little and stumbled upon an explanation for Thranduil's non-canon Dragon burns / scars in the Hobbit. I would love your opinion on that!

Thrandiul’s sudden cars reflect a little emphasized of Tolkien’s lore: elves’ “Fëar” (a metaphysical concept analogous translatable as “soul”) occasionally influences the “Hröa” (the fleshly, physical body), particularly under moments of extreme stress. This can manifest as extreme physical changes that reflect the mind’s state, in this case deep war scars.

Source (http://askmiddlearth.tumblr.com/post/71302074745/whats-up-with-thranduils-face-in-desolation-of) (and a couple more theories)

EDIT: Forgot to mention this in the post but this "canon" apparently only exists in the movie-verse and not in the books. Well, at least it's something.

Lady melissa
February 2nd, 2015, 12:57 PM
cool missblueeyes :)

Lindenare
February 2nd, 2015, 05:21 PM
I've been googling a little and stumbled upon an explanation for Thranduil's non-canon Dragon burns / scars in the Hobbit. I would love your opinion on that!

Source (http://askmiddlearth.tumblr.com/post/71302074745/whats-up-with-thranduils-face-in-desolation-of) (and a couple more theories)

EDIT: Forgot to mention this in the post but this "canon" apparently only exists in the movie-verse and not in the books. Well, at least it's something.

This is an almost correct version of an actual concept from the books. As was mentioned, fëa (plural fëar) and hröa (plural hröar) are Quenya words that can be roughly translated "soul" and "body", respectively. That much is correct, although simplified. The rest is likely derived from the concept that Elves' fëar are more dominant over their hröar than Men's are. However, this was never linked to appearance but rather to physical characteristics such as durability. So an Elf would be much harder to kill than a Man and could recover from more severe wounds because of this difference. The closest thing to a "glamour" in the books is the case of Finrod Felagund disguising himself and his companions as a band of orcs or the disguises Beren and Luthien wore on their way to Angband. Both cases were definitely related to the fëa, but neither seem to be something Elves did normally. It's also worth a note that both Finrod and Luthien were powerful Elves; most Elves may not have been capable of such a thing.

Gaelic Girl
July 11th, 2015, 09:37 AM
AKC Woodworking has some new amazing stuff.....must be strong.....

https://www.etsy.com/shop/AKCWoodworking?ref=listing-shop-header-item-count&order=date_desc&page=1

Cinnamonagouti
August 5th, 2015, 01:36 PM

https://www.etsy.com/shop/AKCWoodworking?ref=listing-shop-header-item-count&order=date_desc&page=1

Ooh these are wonderful! I like the deathly hallows-stick, too. :p And just look at that Gandalf's staff!!

TwilightShadow
August 5th, 2015, 11:32 PM

OMG! I just looked! I must refrain... I already have a sword hair stick from the shop and I really like it.

Wildcat Diva
August 5th, 2015, 11:58 PM
Watching LOTR in Spanish is super funny sounding to a non-Spanish speaking person, especially Gollum's parts.

SwordWomanRiona
August 7th, 2015, 04:06 AM
Watching LOTR in Spanish is super funny sounding to a non-Spanish speaking person, especially Gollum's parts.

Gollum's parts in Spanish are also super funny to a Spanish-speaking person, I assure you :D ('¿Qué es un Hobbits, tesssoro, qué esss?' xD) Apart from that, I do prefer the English version (I never watch dubbed films unless I have to), although I think the Hobbit films are pretty well dubbed, way better than the LOTR ones (I find some voices and pronunciations very grating in those, such as Éowyn's voice or the infamous RivenDEL wrong pronunciation).

flickm
August 7th, 2015, 06:13 AM
You're serious? You all go to see the films dressed in LOTR outfits? Wow! I wonder what Tolkien would have made of it, crusty old carmudgeon that he was. I live in Oxford, so Tolkien history is all around. It's a pity they left Tom Bombadil out of the original movies, because Goldberry would have been a rich source of material: she wore a gown "green as young reeds, shot with silver like beads of dew; and her belt was of gold, shaped like a chain of flag-lilies set with the pale-blue eyes of forget-me-nots."

Lady melissa
August 11th, 2015, 05:27 AM
Just watched the whole LOTR trilogy in extended version.....sigh....i cried again....even though i've seen those movies a hunderd times....and now, again, i want to decorate my house entirely like Rivendell LOL

TwilightShadow
August 11th, 2015, 06:09 AM
Just watched the whole LOTR trilogy in extended version.....sigh....i cried again....even though i've seen those movies a hunderd times....and now, again, i want to decorate my house entirely like Rivendell LOL

Hahaha, I can totally relate. I remember I've seen ROTK in the theater over 15 times. Once in a while, there's time for another LOTR marathon.

SwordWomanRiona
August 11th, 2015, 07:34 AM
i want to decorate my house entirely like Rivendell LOL

Oh, me too :D! But with glass panels on the windows :lol: (in the book Rivendell does have glass in the windows, though, so I'd be canon :D)

goneJackal
August 11th, 2015, 09:53 AM
Watching (for the n-est time) the extended cut these last few days, too!
Sometimes I just like to let it play and watch it with the corner of my eyes while I'm working.

NorthernLorelei
August 26th, 2015, 06:32 PM
Watching (for the n-est time) the extended cut these last few days, too!
Sometimes I just like to let it play and watch it with the corner of my eyes while I'm working.

I wouldn't have the self-control to do that! Anytime the TV plays them, I'm instantly glued to the screen.

Gaelic Girl
August 26th, 2015, 07:48 PM
duplicate post :(

Gaelic Girl
August 26th, 2015, 07:49 PM

LOL Will have to try this!!! :henny:

NorthernLorelei
September 8th, 2015, 01:53 PM
I found a ... uh .. interesting hair tutorial that I figured an LHC lotr thread would be the only appropriate place to post it to:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/alannaokun/this-is-how-to-braid-your-hair-into-a-gimli-beard#.wp3omAzKz

I will definitely try this some time, since I don't think I'm quite cut out for lovely, dignified elvish hairstyles. ;)

Belle Paix
September 8th, 2015, 02:25 PM
I CAN NOT WAIT until my hair is long enough to try some of the more elvish styles...sigh

NorthernLorelei
September 8th, 2015, 03:29 PM
I CAN NOT WAIT until my hair is long enough to try some of the more elvish styles...sigh

I love them, especially since that's why I started growing my hair a while back!

I don't think it will be long though. While most of the elves' hair is SL+, the styles are usually just a two temple braids (NO idea what they're proper name is) that connect in the back, and maybe some accent ones. You should be able to do that any time now, especially if you just use strands without braiding!

If you'd like, I can try and dig up some tutorials that would work with your hair now/in the near future.

missblueeyes
September 8th, 2015, 03:43 PM
Elvish braids are one of my main inspiration for growing my hair long, too. :) My hair is probably long enough to look elvish already but I really want to get to TBL and maybe even further to see what it's like because I imagine hair longer than classic feel really ethereal and magical. :)

NorthernLorelei
September 8th, 2015, 03:52 PM
A fellow elf! :D

Your hair is lovely, and such a pretty color! At TBL you would look like Galadriel I think. (praying a spelled her name right)

Christine_O
September 8th, 2015, 04:56 PM
You're serious? You all go to see the films dressed in LOTR outfits? Wow! I wonder what Tolkien would have made of it, crusty old carmudgeon that he was. I live in Oxford, so Tolkien history is all around. It's a pity they left Tom Bombadil out of the original movies, because Goldberry would have been a rich source of material: she wore a gown "green as young reeds, shot with silver like beads of dew; and her belt was of gold, shaped like a chain of flag-lilies set with the pale-blue eyes of forget-me-nots."

My son also missed Tom Bombadil in the movies. It's been longer than I care to admit since the last time I read the Hobbit and the trilogy. I am currently trying to work my way through a Russian translation though.

missblueeyes
September 9th, 2015, 03:25 AM
A fellow elf! :D

Your hair is lovely, and such a pretty color! At TBL you would look like Galadriel I think. (praying a spelled her name right)

Aww, you're too nice! :blushing:
I can't wait until my hair is only my natural colour, though. Two-toned elvish braids don't actually look that cool.

Aleahcim
September 9th, 2015, 06:21 AM
I am a huge LotRs fan, and I have always loved the long hair in the movies. Doing the braided hairstyles was one of the main reasons I wanted my hair to grow. While I will never be able to have blonde flowing hair, my dark hair might just look well enough at longer lengths, even more so if I can get it to look super silky.

Entangled
February 13th, 2016, 12:54 PM
A little off topic, this article is really neat. It's not about hair, but definitely of interest to LotR fans. It has a recording of Tolkien singing Sam's troll song and another of him reading exerpts. It wasn't related enough to the elf hair page, so I'm posting it here.
http://m.mentalfloss.com/article.php?id=73909

Hair related...
I remember reading on Dreamweaver Braids that fishtail/herringbone braids were considered more masculine (they definitely are in my mind) so I thought it appropriate they were used mainly for the men in the LotR movies.

Also, which race/species do you think would have blonette hair?

HeartofHaleth
February 13th, 2016, 10:05 PM

Personally, I would go for the good old hobbits for that. The elves seem to be at either extreme, i. e. the very fair Sindar or the black-haired Noldor (not sure where Tauriel is supposed to fit in... I find the idea of a redheaded elf very suspect). The dwarves also seem to have darker or more vivid hair. Hobbits, on the other hand, are usually portrayed as having light-to-medium coloring, generally in the blond-to-brown range. Some of the various groups of Men would also work.

Note: I don't actually know much about Tauriel or her ancestry, since I'm still rather miffed at Mr. Jackson and do not wish to go see the Hobbit movies. There may well be a justification for her hair color.

Elven_Escapist
February 14th, 2016, 01:09 AM
Personally, I would go for the good old hobbits for that. The elves seem to be at either extreme, i. e. the very fair Sindar or the black-haired Noldor (not sure where Tauriel is supposed to fit in... I find the idea of a redheaded elf very suspect). The dwarves also seem to have darker or more vivid hair. Hobbits, on the other hand, are usually portrayed as having light-to-medium coloring, generally in the blond-to-brown range. Some of the various groups of Men would also work.

Note: I don't actually know much about Tauriel or her ancestry, since I'm still rather miffed at Mr. Jackson and do not wish to go see the Hobbit movies. There may well be a justification for her hair color.

There is no justification for her hair color, as far as I know. I really don't think she should have red/auburn hair as it seemed to be a very rare occurence for elves to have such a hair color. The only elves mentioned to have red hair were all descended from Mahtan, Nerdanel's father.

jazzhands
February 18th, 2016, 07:30 PM
Not much is known about her since she's just a random character insert. I wish PJ'd at least respected the late author and gave us a lore-friendly backstory or something.

HeartofHaleth
February 18th, 2016, 07:55 PM
Not much is known about her since she's just a random character insert. I wish PJ'd at least respected the late author and gave us a lore-friendly backstory or something.

Really? It's that bad? Ouch.... Anyways, hair is cool and elf hair is also cool and I'm totally staying on topic! :hmm:

jazzhands
February 18th, 2016, 08:39 PM
Really? It's that bad? Ouch.... Anyways, hair is cool and elf hair is also cool and I'm totally staying on topic! :hmm:

Haha no, I do love her hair, I just have a lot of feelings re: the film :grin:

Wish I could find more tutorials on how to do elf braids, they're always so pretty!

missblueeyes
February 19th, 2016, 05:24 PM
I wore Tauriel's half-up the other day so I thought I'd share it. :) Worked really well on my APL+ hair. The tutorial I followed is by silvousplaits on YouTube. I couldn't lace-braid before this so I guess she must explain it really well! :lol:

http://i64.tinypic.com/2uro8xl.jpg

Vrindi
February 22nd, 2016, 10:26 AM
I wore Tauriel's half-up the other day so I thought I'd share it. :) Worked really well on my APL+ hair. The tutorial I followed is by silvousplaits on YouTube. I couldn't lace-braid before this so I guess she must explain it really well! :lol:

http://i64.tinypic.com/2uro8xl.jpg

That is beautiful. I've been trying to do this hairstyle since the movie came out, and even though I have no problems lace-braiding, I can't get the hang of the angle of it to save my life. You did an excellent job! I'll check out that tutorial and see if it makes it easier for me too.

mary*rose
February 25th, 2016, 09:53 AM

No please go off into rants about lore and background stories!

I've read the Silmarillion so I'm familiar with some of the lore and ancestry but I'm not fluent in it and I love hearing people's theories :)

(I DID write a 20-page feminist paper about the Valier, so I guess I'm kind of an expert...?)

mary*rose
February 25th, 2016, 09:55 AM
A little off topic, this article is really neat. It's not about hair, but definitely of interest to LotR fans. It has a recording of Tolkien singing Sam's troll song and another of him reading exerpts. It wasn't related enough to the elf hair page, so I'm posting it here.

Hair related...
I remember reading on Dreamweaver Braids that fishtail/herringbone braids were considered more masculine (they definitely are in my mind) so I thought it appropriate they were used mainly for the men in the LotR movies.

I love this link! I think my SO found recordings of Tolkien reading the whole series... It was off the internet, so perhaps not actually...

Entangled
April 9th, 2016, 02:05 PM
I was re-reading the series recently and notice hair descriptions much more than I did last time...LHC is affecting me! I think the parts the movies did best on was casting and costuming, scenery, props, etc (the things to create the movies's feel) but I have to say one thing that's messing with me. The one group of characters that actually have braids wear completely loose hair, more so than any other species or people! The people of Rohan are repeatedly described as having braids or braided hair, but their hair is completely loose without accent braids or anything, and with one exception (Eowyn's funeral updo), even the women seem to have hair loose, as far as I remember. I wonder why? Everyone else excepting the men of Gondor get some braids or updos, but not the one group associated with braided hair in the books.

I need to make a new costume...

iYaap
April 10th, 2016, 06:59 AM
My next Nailed it picture! (Sorry I found a new hobby :cheese:)

http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s428/Yaapy/Legolas%20en%20Jaap%202.jpg

SwordWomanRiona
April 14th, 2016, 03:12 PM
Lovely, missblueeyes :)!

Hair related...

Tauriel, Arwen (Chase Outfit (http://www.geocities.ws/princessrhiannon2005/costumes/fantasy/arwen_chase_5.jpg), Rose dress (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/f4/31/4c/f4314c0aa77f2875e6de2a514ed3a547.jpg), Farewell dress (http://www.costumersguide.com/farewell/ref9.jpg), and any time she's seen with braids, except for the Helm's Deep multi-braid) and female Elven extras (Rivendell, Mirkwood) wear herringbone braids, though, so that's the majority of Elven women in the films ;) (and Galadriel doesn't wear braids, so in this case she doesn't 'count'). Elven males are also seen with three-strand and other braid types (Elrond, mainly), so I guess they just thought the herringbone braid looked 'Elvish' and so they used it on the majority of characters? Because, as far as I know, both genders wear mainly herringbone braids :). I tend to see braids as an agender thing, anyway, as a non-binary person I don't quite understand why 'gendered braids' (or practically gendered-anything xD) are even necessary...

Lindenare
April 14th, 2016, 08:29 PM
Galadriel doesn't wear braids, so in this case she doesn't 'count'

This makes me chuckle, as she definitely did wear braids in the books! I am glad they remembered Arwen's braids.

Lisa Long4Life
April 15th, 2016, 12:44 PM
I went as Arwen for world book day :D

I can't do fishtail plaits yet though

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/12804696_10153473019348435_3303017685732430086_n.j pg?oh=d0efd32d59834af98c2280ee3bdc4954&oe=577A6824

SwordWomanRiona
April 15th, 2016, 02:02 PM
Lovely, Lisa Long4Life :)!

This makes me chuckle, as she definitely did wear braids in the books! I am glad they remembered Arwen's braids.

Very true, yes, quite a few Elven women wear braids in the books :D! But seeing as we were talking about the films, I had to say she never wears braids :/ :lol:

humble_knight
April 15th, 2016, 04:16 PM
My next Nailed it picture! (Sorry I found a new hobby :cheese:)

http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s428/Yaapy/Legolas%20en%20Jaap%202.jpg

Great effort! Will you try Eowyn next, or Galadriel when your hair is longer?

Lindenare
April 15th, 2016, 07:57 PM
Very true, yes, quite a few Elven women wear braids in the books :D! But seeing as we were talking about the films, I had to say she never wears braids :/ :lol:

Yeah, she definitely doesn't in the films. I love her hair in the movies and don't nitpick unless I'm in the right mood (there are better things to nitpick on most of the time, anyway). Part of me would have loved to see her in braids, though. As an aside, I tend to imagine a young Galadriel wearing a crown or coronet braid, mostly due to her name.

Lisa Long4Life
April 16th, 2016, 04:27 AM
Lovely, Lisa Long4Life :)!

[/COLOR]

Thanks, it went down well at school although some of them weren't sure who I was. :) My partner* & I have discussed having a LOTR inspired wedding but I don't think we will go for a theme in the end, it's only going to be an intimate ceremony. Maybe the reception/UK party could have a theme instead.

*Not my fiancé yet (well he is in a way). I proposed to him on 29th February (leap year day, it's a tradition here) - and he said yes. But he wants to propose to me himself.

Sorry I've gone off topic.

SwordWomanRiona
April 16th, 2016, 03:39 PM
Yeah, she definitely doesn't in the films. I love her hair in the movies and don't nitpick unless I'm in the right mood (there are better things to nitpick on most of the time, anyway). Part of me would have loved to see her in braids, though. As an aside, I tend to imagine a young Galadriel wearing a crown or coronet braid, mostly due to her name.

Yes, Cate Blanchett as Galadriel with braids would have been awesome, I agree (even though I really like her hair as it is already)! And Galadriel did wear crown-braids when she was young in Valinor - and especially when she was taking part in athletic activities -, so that's 100% canon and it's amazing :D :D

Lindenare
April 16th, 2016, 04:25 PM
Yes, Cate Blanchett as Galadriel with braids would have been awesome, I agree (even though I really like her hair as it is already)! And Galadriel did wear crown-braids when she was young in Valinor - and especially when she was taking part in athletic activities -, so that's 100% canon and it's amazing :D :D

I need to get my hands on The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien now. So many lovely tidbits. I hadn't realized he'd stated that she did wear crown braids!

My brain has now decided that Elven hairpins would be so much more awesome than the ones I can get. And can you imagine the hair sticks and forks?

Gaelic Girl
April 16th, 2016, 04:54 PM

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/12804696_10153473019348435_3303017685732430086_n.j pg?oh=d0efd32d59834af98c2280ee3bdc4954&oe=577A6824

STUNNING!! Did you make this beautiful costume? Looks glorious! :thud:

hobbitlocks
April 16th, 2016, 05:13 PM
I need to get my hands on The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien now. So many lovely tidbits. I hadn't realized he'd stated that she did wear crown braids!

My brain has now decided that Elven hairpins would be so much more awesome than the ones I can get. And can you imagine the hair sticks and forks?

I'm imagining the hair toy hoards! They would definitely have the time to amass some beautiful collections. I'm wearing a crown braid today, hopefully I can channel Galadriel a bit :)

Lisa Long4Life - you look so beautiful! I love the whole ensemble!

SwordWomanRiona
April 16th, 2016, 07:01 PM

Yes, he mentions it in one of his letters :)

Oh yes, all the Elven hairtoys :D :inlove:!

Lisa Long4Life
April 17th, 2016, 05:16 AM
STUNNING!! Did you make this beautiful costume? Looks glorious! :thud:

Thank you :)
No I bought it - it's by a company called Elbenwald (based in Germany) but they sell on Amazon too. I was going to order direct from them but I have Amazon prime so it was cheaper with delivery iirc (and I was worried about customs).

Thank you hobbitlocks ​also! :D

FantasyBoudicca
April 17th, 2016, 06:42 AM
Yes, he mentions it in one of his letters :)

Oh yes, all the Elven hairtoys :D :inlove:!

Can you imagine how much stuff they'd need to manage their hair though? I need something like eight (old school) pins and a hairtie to keep my bun firmly in place while running, and my hair is barely past BSL.

I just had this mental image of Legolas going around with a hair fork in his hair, or using a bit of broken arrow to put it up (so it doesn't snag on his arrow and leave his scalp at something like 150 mph). Just casually snapping off a piece of an arrow from an Orc and using that to get his hair out of the way before going back to shooting. Or Elrond using a spare quill to haul his hair out of the way while reading.

On the other end of the spectrum, there's our favourite glam-queens Ladies Galadriel and Arwen. Better yet, Arwen is Galadriel's granddaughter, so it's entirely possible she has a couple combs from Valinor itself or something stashed away. *spirals off into rant about Feanor and him making beautiful stuff* ELVEN HAIR TOYS. YES.

mary*rose
April 17th, 2016, 04:10 PM
Can you imagine how much stuff they'd need to manage their hair though? I need something like eight (old school) pins and a hairtie to keep my bun firmly in place while running, and my hair is barely past BSL.

I just had this mental image of Legolas going around with a hair fork in his hair, or using a bit of broken arrow to put it up (so it doesn't snag on his arrow and leave his scalp at something like 150 mph). Just casually snapping off a piece of an arrow from an Orc and using that to get his hair out of the way before going back to shooting. Or Elrond using a spare quill to haul his hair out of the way while reading.

On the other end of the spectrum, there's our favourite glam-queens Ladies Galadriel and Arwen. Better yet, Arwen is Galadriel's granddaughter, so it's entirely possible she has a couple combs from Valinor itself or something stashed away. *spirals off into rant about Feanor and him making beautiful stuff* ELVEN HAIR TOYS. YES.

I really like these mental images.

Dovahkiin
April 17th, 2016, 10:32 PM

OT, but your blunt bangs are fabulous.

Lizzie.torp
April 18th, 2016, 12:15 AM
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this already, but there's a Youtuber called SilvousPlaits and she does many amazing tutorials on LOTR hair. (And also GoT and Vikings) I binged watched them for days and feel like I can do anything.

Lisa Long4Life
April 18th, 2016, 02:03 PM
OT, but your blunt bangs are fabulous.

Thanks, not quite true to Arwen but pinning them out of the way wasn't working!

SwordWomanRiona
May 4th, 2016, 07:46 AM
Sharing a few pics of my Noldorin Rivendell Elf OC cosplay during a Tolkien convention this past weekend :)

And talking about Noldorin women and hair, I favour braided updos for this outfit (crown-style, mostly, and with parandas or ribbons). Both my personal headcanon and some Tolkien references describe Noldorin ladies as wearing braided updos (crown braids or other), and bejewelled hairnets and tressures. I particularly like the headcanon of Noldorin women favouring hairstyles ressembling Italian Renaissance updos (hair taping and the like).

http://pre14.deviantart.net/f93d/th/pre/i/2016/125/3/2/noldorin_elf_cosplay___purple_dress_ii_by_arwendel uhtiene-da1desr.jpg

http://pre00.deviantart.net/21d3/th/pre/i/2016/125/7/f/noldorin_elf_cosplay___purple_dress_braided_updo_b y_arwendeluhtiene-da1dfw5.jpg

http://orig07.deviantart.net/3bd5/f/2016/125/5/2/untitled_by_arwendeluhtiene-da1dfuc.jpg

long-hair-lover
May 7th, 2016, 07:03 AM
Sharing a few pics of my Noldorin Rivendell Elf OC cosplay during a Tolkien convention this past weekend :)

And talking about Noldorin women and hair, I favour braided updos for this outfit (crown-style, mostly, and with parandas or ribbons). Both my personal headcanon and some Tolkien references describe Noldorin ladies as wearing braided updos (crown braids or other), and bejewelled hairnets and tressures. I particularly like the headcanon of Noldorin women favouring hairstyles ressembling Italian Renaissance updos (hair taping and the like).

http://pre14.deviantart.net/f93d/th/pre/i/2016/125/3/2/noldorin_elf_cosplay___purple_dress_ii_by_arwendel uhtiene-da1desr.jpg

http://pre00.deviantart.net/21d3/th/pre/i/2016/125/7/f/noldorin_elf_cosplay___purple_dress_braided_updo_b y_arwendeluhtiene-da1dfw5.jpg

http://orig07.deviantart.net/3bd5/f/2016/125/5/2/untitled_by_arwendeluhtiene-da1dfuc.jpg

Absolutely beautiful!

Vrindi
May 7th, 2016, 09:50 AM
That's really beautiful SwordWoman!

RebekahE
May 7th, 2016, 04:11 PM
I have to agree, it is gorgeous!!!

A quick sidenote: I stumbled across this site about a month ago and found it very interesting, it has a lot of medieval type clothes and they even have a dress that is the same style as the one Arwen wore when the life of the Eldar was leaving her (The square necked one). http://holyclothing.com/index.php/dresses.html

SwordWomanRiona
May 8th, 2016, 06:13 AM
Thank you, long-hair-lover, Vrindi and RebekahE :flower: :cloud9: ^^!

RebekahE, the HolyClothing Arwen dress is just the one I was wearing in those pics :D Not the same style as the Blood-Red Dress (http://www.farfarawaysite.com/section/lotr/gallery5/hires/2.jpg) (the fading scene you were referring to - love the dress, dislike the scene xD), though, but the neckline and sleeves are reminicent of Rivendell styles as seen in the films :) (Arwen doesn't usually wear square necklines, but the sleeve construction is similar to the ones in her Farewell (http://www.costumersguide.com/farewell/ref3.jpg)and Rose (http://www.costumersguide.com/rose/rose_concept.jpg) dresses)

SwordWomanRiona
June 10th, 2016, 06:47 AM
Kinda both Tolkien and hair pics (Lúthien Tinúviel cosplay from September 2015), so thought I'd share here :)

http://67.media.tumblr.com/1c48a5628a4440edf450d895000f71ff/tumblr_o8gbdhjeR31u5l0iho2_500.jpg

http://66.media.tumblr.com/61b3c8811a280f1b5732dd9277ff1d22/tumblr_o8gbdhjeR31u5l0iho1_500.jpg

Calypso
July 1st, 2016, 03:13 AM
SwordWomanRiona, I'm in awe of both your stunning hair and your beautiful elven dresses!

SwordWomanRiona
July 4th, 2016, 07:33 AM
Thanks, Calypso :flower:!

enting
July 4th, 2016, 10:02 AM
SWR, your Tolkien cosplays are always stunning!

For those that mentioned wanting to decorate their homes elvish-style, Council of Elrond has a section on house decorating tips: http://www.councilofelrond.com/craft/

As far as Entangled's question about blonette haired races, I would guess that any of the human races would have blonette hair, though probably less common in those of Numenorian descent, I would guess those to be more dark-haired. A blend of Rohirrim and Numenoreans or Gondorians could easily lead to blonette, the sons and daughters of Eorl being fair haired, I think. Hobbits didn't have blond hair much until after the restoration of the Shire, but browns they did have aplenty, and blonette was probably a represented shade, even before then. After the restoration blonette was probably a bit more common though, due to the increase in blonds, I would guess.