Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Citric acid rinses

Length
    2"/22.5"/30+
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Citric acid rinses

Quote Originally Posted by jeanniet View Post
    I've been using citric acid rinses after every wash for over two years now to combat the effects of my hard well water. CA rinses can be very mild and very effective, but your solution was really strong and I honestly don't know what would happen if you kept up with that strength. It sounds like your hair needed a good chelating, though, so probably no harm done with one try. I use 1/4 teaspoon in a gallon of water for a final rinse, and that seems strong enough to keep my hair feeling good.
    Would one expect any different results with citric acid compared to a lemon juice rinse?

Length
    waist/TB/long

Quote Originally Posted by goldloli View Post
    wait, so this doesnt dry hair if left in like lemon rinse?

oooo
    No. It does not dry my hair at all.

Length
    waist/TB/long

...I use 1/4 teaspoon in a gallon of water for a final rinse, and that seems strong enough to keep my hair feeling good.
    I have used the citric acid rinse for a couple of years now too. I find 1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon in a quart if icy water works best for me. It's not too strong at all. It leaves my hair feeling as though I had used conditioner, but I don't use any. Weaker than that doesn't do anything for my hair.

Length
    24BSL/35TBL/42 CL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

I haven't heard of ACV leaving a reddish tint. I guess my hair is too dark for it to show up in.

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lmfbs View Post
    I haven't heard of ACV leaving a reddish tint. I guess my hair is too dark for it to show up in.
    I know when my hair was all virgin it made my hair get redder hues after a while, though I like how soft it makes my hair. The citric acid is the best I've tried, my hair is naturally soft anyway but this even softened my sliver streak and no strangely no sticky up hairs, I'm in love
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    I have used the citric acid rinse for a couple of years now too. I find 1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon in a quart if icy water works best for me. It's not too strong at all. It leaves my hair feeling as though I had used conditioner, but I don't use any. Weaker than that doesn't do anything for my hair.

There is no way I'm pouring icy water on my head! I've just never had a need to make the concentration stronger, so I don't. It keeps my hair clean enough that I only bother clarifying a few times a year. Usually I go months without clarifying.

Length
    24BSL/35TBL/42 CL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I know when my hair was all virgin it made my hair get redder hues after a while, though I like how soft it makes my hair. The citric acid is the best I've tried, my hair is naturally soft anyway but this even softened my sliver streak and no strangely no sticky up hairs, I'm in love
    Guess I'm picking some up at the supermarket tomorrow! Thanks

Length
    Waist/Chin/Neck
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I use citric acid rinse as the final rinse after every wash. I don't rinse it out. I use about 1/20th of a teaspoon of citric acid to 1 litre of tap water. I measured the pH of the solution with pH paper (which unfortunately isn't very exact), it's about 5, which is supposed to be good for hair and skin. The tap water here has pH of about 8,5. I guess how much citric acid you need would depend on the water you're using, but I would start with well diluted rinses to be safe.

Someone asked about lemon rinses - lemon rinse has sugar and vitamin C as well as citric acid. The sugar is supposed to give better curl/wave definition.

Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

I use 1/4 teaspoon in a gallon of water for a final rinse, and that seems strong enough to keep my hair feeling good.
    This is what I use as well. I believe it is the Miracle Water recipe from the old LHC. I use distilled water because our well water is very hard and I don't rinse it out. Has worked very well for me.

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

Yes, it's the Miracle Water recipe. That's what I used as a starting point, and I've stayed with that ratio because it's working just fine. London water is much harder than mine, although it may not have all the minerals we do (in addition to the calcium carbonate, that is). I haven't done too much research online, but it might be possible to find a formula for the concentration you'd need based on the hardness of your water. Citric acid seems to be a pretty common chelator.