Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Citric acid rinses

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Default Citric acid rinses

So I purchased some citric acid powder online and did a rinse today with just a tea spoons worth in 600mls of warm water, the results are lovely shiny hair. Just wondering if doing this after every wash would be damaging ? And is my ratio a good one? My hair felt better but just thinking long term.

I do normally use white vinegar but the smell is a bit nauseating at times and acv in the past has added red hues to my hair, which I don't want, just in case any of you are wondering why I chose citric acid, I take it, it won't add no red to my hair?
    TIA
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    APL/Hip +/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Citric acid rinses

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    So I purchased some citric acid powder online and did a rinse today with just a tea spoons worth in 600mls of warm water, the results are lovely shiny hair. Just wondering if doing this after every wash would be damaging ? And is my ratio a good one? My hair felt better but just thinking long term.

I do normally use white vinegar but the smell is a bit nauseating at times and acv in the past has added red hues to my hair, which I don't want, just in case any of you are wondering why I chose citric acid, I take it, it won't add no red to my hair?
    TIA
    Will be watching this Jojo as i do white vinegar rinses to and they make me feel slightly sick to glad i'm not the only one
    APL 2010 BSL JUL 2010 WSL 2011 HIP 2013 Going for Tailbone December 2017

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

*lurks thread*

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by bunzfan View Post
    Will be watching this Jojo as i do white vinegar rinses to and they make me feel slightly sick to glad i'm not the only one
    Yeah your not the only one, the citric acid powder is very cheap on amazon and should last me ages as I use so little. I liked acv the smell isn't quite as nauseating but as I said I don't want any darkening or reddening to my hair,mplus the citric acid leaves no smell at all, just be careful you don't get any in your eyes, it hurts!
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by goldloli View Post
    *lurks thread*
    Don't seem to hear many who use the powder, hopefully somebody will chirp in and advise us!

Length
    waist/TB/long

I much prefer using citric acid compared to any type of vinegar. There's absolutely no smell, and it works at least as well. As a very last thing rinse, I use about 3/4 teaspoon shaken well into a quart of very cold water. Since I have very hard water, I do not rinse it out. This works great for me.

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

1 quart is a litre yeah? Didn't know you didn't have to rinse, will try that next wash and with less citric acid in, it turned out good this time but I don't want to push it with using more than need be, thanks for your input x

Length
    -/Shldr/-
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/iii

I did have some citric acid but "lost" it when I had a rare tidy-up a while ago. It's lurking there somewhere.

The last couple of washes I've used a pint of Brita filtered water with 1/8 teaspoon Holland & Barrett vitamin C powder (ascorbic acid - a chelator) plus 1/4 teaspoon of white vinegar (I always have plenty as I use it instead of fabric softener in the washing machine).

My hair has felt really silky and shiny afterwards, and I normally find shine difficult to achieve.

There is a slight smell of vinegar at the time of rinsing, plus a metallic whiff from the vit C chelating the iron in our water, I think (limescale goes pale orange). But once the hair is dry, no smell at all.

I'm so happy with this that I plan to keep doing it every wash. London water is horrible, hard and chlorine-y.

© GRD, 3 March 2007

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    1 quart is a litre yeah? Didn't know you didn't have to rinse, will try that next wash and with less citric acid in, it turned out good this time but I don't want to push it with using more than need be, thanks for your input x
    wait, so this doesnt dry hair if left in like lemon rinse?

oooo

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

I've been using citric acid rinses after every wash for over two years now to combat the effects of my hard well water. CA rinses can be very mild and very effective, but your solution was really strong and I honestly don't know what would happen if you kept up with that strength. It sounds like your hair needed a good chelating, though, so probably no harm done with one try. I use 1/4 teaspoon in a gallon of water for a final rinse, and that seems strong enough to keep my hair feeling good.