Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How bad is Amodimethicone?

Length
    22/26/33
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default How bad is Amodimethicone?

I heard somewhere that while 'cones can prevent hair from getting moisture, amodimethicone isn't as bad as the other ones. Is this true, and why?

Length
    Bob/Bob/???
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Default Re: How bad is Amodimethicone?

-Cones aren't necessarily bad in the first place. It's all about preference. Some people get dried up velcro ends on -cones while others get hair like a sheet of glass with them. I think Amodimethcone is water soluble while many others need surfactants to be removed.
    Last edited by Mairéad; February 23rd, 2012 at 02:07 PM.
    Well, that's one year down since pixie. I have been knighted as 'turbo grower.'

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

The reason it typically isn't seen as being so bad is that amodimethicone doesn't seem to stick to itself. It'll form a layer on hair, but it won't continue to build up past that point.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Type
    1b/F/M/ii/iii

Quite surprising that amodimethicone wouldn't be as bad as the other cones. My hair stands cones in some extent very well, but amodimethicone makes it even flatter looking than normal. It's also very hard to make any updos for hair coated with that. Even one condition time makes the limp and greasy feeling. For example, the dimethicone and cyclopentasiloxane won't act like that.

But like it's already been said, it's up to your head. Someone can handle cones or even needs them desperately to cope, and someone can't use these ingredients at all. My hair acts like between those categories.

Length
    hip/hip/hurra
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Amodimethicone is my favourite cone of all! \(^(oo)^)/

Unlike other types of silicone, amodimethicone carries a positive charge, which results in targeted conditioning of damaged areas and the formation of a shine-enhancing nanostructure (ETA: Formation of nanostructure on hair surface, Journal of Cosmetic Science). Once deposited, the positive charge helps repel further deposition, so amodimethicone does not build up on the hair.
    Last edited by luxepiggy; February 23rd, 2012 at 06:48 PM.
    I'm a little piggy! (^(oo)^)v

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by luxepiggy View Post
    Amodimethicone is my favourite cone of all! \(^(oo)^)/

Unlike other types of silicone, amodimethicone carries a positive charge, which results in targeted conditioning of damaged areas and the formation of a shine-enhancing nanostructure (ETA: Formation of nanostructure on hair surface, Journal of Cosmetic Science). Once deposited, the positive charge helps repel further deposition, so amodimethicone does not build up on the hair.
    luxepiggy: Is there a good coney serum and conditioner that contains just amodimethicone? My hair can live with or without cones but I would like to find a good one to use in winter.
    Last edited by Tia2010; February 23rd, 2012 at 07:02 PM.

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Cones are neither good nor bad, or if they are one, they are both. They're good because they seal moisture in. They're also bad because they can also seal moisture out.

Amodimethicone is one of my favorite cones, too.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    shldr/tbl/long
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I use an amodimeticone conditioner. Sometimes I CO wash with it and other times I use it with a very mild shampoo. It has never built up on my hair, but makes the hair moisturized

Maybe it will eventually build up, but I haven't experienced for months

Length
    12/32/35
    Type
    2b/F/ii

The reason it doesn't build up is because it is water soluble. You are always washing the old stuff away.
    Started growing at 42. Always admired and wanted long hair. Thrilled to find waves!!!

2b-F-ii

Type
    1b/F/M/ii/iii

Reviving this....
    Ive been super natural for well over 2 years, no cones, no sulfates, nothing. My hair is in fantastic shape..... I ran out of my Justnaturals spray detangled, so I used this.....(use to use it on and off long ago)

http://www.sephora.com/prep-P280528

And wow. My hair is like silk. Its usually almost like silk, but this is crazy. Just wondering, by the list of ingredients, does anybody see anything tat would be harmful to my hair? The only cone is water soluble.... and I don't spray it on my scalp. My hair is free of tangles and holy moly. Can I use this mostly all the time as my leave in without any negatives? My hair seems to love it! besides shampoo and conditioner, spray detanglers are the only thing I use besides oils on my ends. Will it block all my oils I put on? Am i being counter productive to all the goodness Ive been doing the last few years?