Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair seasons

Slightly Frosted FrozenBritannia's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TB/45+
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Default Hair seasons

Or rather, does your hair change with the seasons in how it responds to various treatments and methods of care?

Which season is the best for your hair, and why?
    Lady Britannia of Mergatroyd, Seer of the Dancing Lights, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.

Length
    22"/hip/tb
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Hair seasons

Interesting question! I look forward to hearing other's answers. For me, autumn is by far the best season for my hair. Dry + very low humidity= happy. Spring and summer are damp/humid, and my hair has a tendency to rebel in those conditions. Winter is tough because the woodstove can really dry my hair out. So yeah, it's definitely autumn for me!
    *******Firefly*******
    2a/F-M/ii ~~ Hip

Length
    24???/38?/37
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

I think my hair does best in the spring/summer. It is very humid here, my hair is wavy, and I don't have to worry so much about moisture. I did BS/acv for 2 months straight last summer, no conditioner. Now, if I was to be swimming a lot, that would be different. Then I would add in some conditioner. When the heater turns on and humidity drops, my hair needs a lot more moisture, so I bring in bottles of conditioner and some shea butter. My scalp also gets upset because the air is dry, shampoo can dry it out, but conditioner irritates my scalp, and working out makes it get sweaty and gross. My waves need more "help" in dry conditions and static can become an issue. Plus, I have to wear a hood or knit headband to keep my ears/head warm and that just messes with my 'do!

Account Closed by Member Request

I think my hair is at its best in Autumn and Spring. Wintertime means that my hair gets greasy more quickly, which I find annoying. In Summertime, the weather gets very hot and my hair gets lots of frizz.

Type
    1a/F/ii

I'm with Firefly- autumn is when my hair tends to behave the best. Curls hold better because of reduced humidity but there isn't too much static issues as pop up in Winter.
    ( Honestly, I haven't been oiling long enough to see how my hair responds to the season.)

Length
    BSL/BSL+/Waist
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Late Summer.

I get so caught up in the activities and "busy-ness" of summer that I fail to notice any new growth until around late summer. In all my pictures it always seems end-of-summer that my hair looks the longest for that year.

Length
    18.5/22/25.5
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

I live in Melbourne, so I tend to notice problem times which relate more to where our weather is coming from rather than an actual season, although the effect of the Southern Ocean is more noticeable from May to September. Sometimes we get all four 'seasons' in one day. This can weird out any visitors!

In most years:
    Cold weather, mostly in winter (and I use the word 'mostly' in a provisional way) means most weather coming from the Southern Ocean (Southerlies, very cold and very windy), or Southern Indian Ocean, (South westerlies, cold and windy), and occasional from the West (across the inland, not as cold). This is means flyaways getting very tangled and straggly due to high speed winds and having to wear hair up due to the coat collar factor. Washing also becomes a little less enjoyable in a bathroom without heating. Frizz is not that much of a problem, as the Southern Ocean is cold and windy, rather than really humid. (Remember folks, Antarctica is a dessert- very little precipitation.)

Hot weather generally comes from the west (across the Australian desert, and from October to April the Southern Indian Ocean), and dryness on ends and greasy scalp are the major problems due to the combination of dry, hot winds (especially north-westerlies) and high temperatures (=sweat). Hot days, from my perspective, are between 32 and 37 degrees centigrade, sometimes reaching 40s a few days during our summer (90-99F and occasionally 104-111F). Solved through treatment on ends (eg leave in conditioner, oil etc) and regular washing.

This year is La Nina, however, so my problem is humidity with warmth and little wind because our weather is frequently coming from the east (Pacific), which still feels odd. Hot days equal 30 to 34 degrees centigrade (only had two plus 35 days so far I think) of which there are relatively few, but more importantly- Less wind, high humidity! This equals frizz. Grrrrrr! I find this the most difficult type of weather to deal with hair wise. Although going home on the train the other night I felt better, because everyone had the frizz problem, not just me, so I didn't feel so bad.

El Nino years are like normal years in terms of weather direction, but because the Pacific is exerting a weaker effect on us than usual, it gets ramped up. This makes for noticeably dryer months during the May to November period (note- most our rain falls August to October in normal years) and VERY HOT!!!! summers. Most days are Hot days in summer as opposed to about half half during normal years, and Extreme temperatures more common (ie +40C or +104F). High winds also common. They are hot too! Very drying on the hair, which due to the heat at night frequently gets water only rinse before bed, not for my hair, but to make sleeping bearable!

Type
    2a/F/ii

My hair is generally best during the spring and summer. My hair has more waves and they are more defined, plus I love how the sun makes my hair more auburn. And my hair is more moisturized in general. Although my hair does tend to get greasy faster once it gets really hot and humid outside, and I do have to watch for frizz (although I don't really care that much about a little bit of frizz so meh). Once I have to start putting the heater on in mid-autumn, my hair and scalp freak out. My ends get super dry and sometimes split, and my scalp will get dandruff for a while. Unfortunately the weather has been all over the place this winter, so my hair and scalp have never had a chance to calm down.
    Last edited by amantha; February 18th, 2012 at 08:17 PM. Reason: added info

Length
    28/tlb/tlb
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii

Late spring and early summer is the best time for my hair and scalp. Winter is ok if a bit staticky for hair but my scalp does funky things. Plus with the cold I don't want to wear it down and it takes days to dry if I put it up damp. I shed from late summer through half of autumn so that's not a fun time.

Indian Herb Article Wstern Herb Article 2b/C/ii/iii .
    Lady Aes Cyprium, Potionmaker and Alchemist to the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I would say Autumn... I get pretty waves and calm hair.

The beginning of Spring is OK too. Summer's humidity = crazy PUFFY hair! And Winter tends to dry out my ends more than any other season due to indoor heat and pellet stoves..plus the static I get in winter is annoying!