Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Double Rose Buns

Length
    tb/tb+/clssc
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Default Double Rose Buns Tutorial

I've had some lovely comments in my album about this style and a request for a tutorial (capelli lunghi!) ... so here it is.

(Assuming prior knowledge of rope braids and rose buns!)

*Part hair in the middle
    *Make two small rope braids using front sections of hair - one on each side. Braid each to the end.
    *Divide the rest of the hair into two (or extend the middle parting down the back of the head).
    *Make two more rope braids at the back - one on the left and one on the right.
    *Coil each of the back rope braids into a rose bun and secure with a hairstick - try and get them symmetrical!
    *One at a time, bring the small front braids down the side of the head, and wrap around the rose bun from the middle to the outside, weaving under the hairsticks - be careful! In other words, wrap the left braid around the left bun clockwise; and wrap the right braid around the right bun anti-clockwise.

I think this would look better if you used a lacing technique with the front braids. You know, adding sections of hair from the side as you braid down. You could also try wrapping the small braids around the rose buns in a figure-8 style.

Have fun!

Last edited by AprilElf; March 20th, 2008 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Fixed bad image link

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

*THUD*

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil

Length
    APL/Hip/class
    Type
    1a/M/C/ii/iii

WOW! Gorgeous! I will definately be trying this.

Length
    50"/60"/floor
    Type
    1c/2a/F/iii

Wow, gorgeous!! Thanks so much for the tutorial!! I totally understand the concept, but yours are just shockingly perfect! I'd love to see pictures of anyone else who tries this style!

Edited:
    To the others who have been asking questions - I believe a rose bun is pretty similar to a regular bun, as far as I know the only difference is that it's done with a rope braid rather than a 3 strand (english?). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

When I do a rope braid I don't do the twirling of each section all at once. I do it with each cross over. So it's like wind, wind, cross, wind, wind, cross (did that make any sense at all?) Also someone else, I wish I remembered who....could it have been Ccheck? gave a tip on rose buns that *really* helped me. When you wind it, sort of tighten it as you go. Otherwise mine will sort of unwind as I go.

Here's my attempt. I added the lace braid as you suggested and I think it worked pretty well. I also sorta wrapped a figure 8 with the small braids

Last edited by Airmide; March 14th, 2008 at 11:18 PM.

Length
    5"/Class/Class
    Type
    1a/F/ii

It just that a single one of your double buns is a tad larger than my one and only bun. Baby fine hair compresses to nothing!
    <a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/homekeepinggran/ChineseBun.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ChineseBun.jpg</a> But if a woman have long hair it is a glory to her. ~ I Cor. 11:15

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Wow!!!! So cute!!!!! Please come over and do my hair!! :-)

Length
    21"/25/29
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Your hair is stunning so glossy! That style is lovely, very classic.

Very nice!

I can't do many of these fancier updos with my current length but I sure do admire them! (Someday . . . someday.)

But when I see a new technique that I just can't wait to try until my hair grows longer, I simply take a smaller section of my hair, with less volume one doesn't need all the length. So even though I can't possibly wear my hair like this right now, I can apply some of this to a half-updo. Can't wait to try it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Curlsgirl View Post
    *THUD*
    Gurk! (which I claim is the new thud....)

That's, that's, that's....

Thud!
    "Always better to not fight. But if must fight...win"
    Mr Miyagi

Length
    2/29/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

So pretty. I'm all thumbs when it comes to braids and updos. Thanks for sharing.
    Its not the destination, its the journey.
    May 2007