Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Iron deficiency and hair...

Length
    WL/hip/TB
    Type
    1a/C/ii

Default Re: Iron deficiency and hair...

My hair sheds a lot and I have a few other characteristics that could be symptoms of anemia. I've been told a few times in the past that I might be anemic, but that was a long time ago.

Recently I had blood work done and nothing unusual came up. Apparently I am perfectly normal and healthy.

On one hand, that's great news... on the other hand I can't just say "oh, it's probably anemia!" and talk to my doctor about taking supplements and hope that'll fix my shedding. The cause of my shedding might be hard to figure out

Length
    16"/33/????
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Yame View Post
    My hair sheds a lot and I have a few other characteristics that could be symptoms of anemia. I've been told a few times in the past that I might be anemic, but that was a long time ago.

Recently I had blood work done and nothing unusual came up. Apparently I am perfectly normal and healthy.

On one hand, that's great news... on the other hand I can't just say "oh, it's probably anemia!" and talk to my doctor about taking supplements and hope that'll fix my shedding. The cause of my shedding might be hard to figure out
    I was anemic and neutropenic for a very long time(20 years), and the doctor who ran the tests always said I was fine, and I didn't question it. Only when I became seriously ill and my new doctor wanted copies of any old blood work did I realize that I was not fine. I had chronic low red blood cell counts as well as chronic low white blood cell counts. I had a weird type of anemia--macrocytic anemia. My ferritin was in normal range at 22, but to regrow hair it is said that ferritin needs to be around 90. What I'm trying to say is that it depends on the doctor. What one doctor thinks is fine, another doctor may not think so. Always ask for copies of your lab tests.
    ​Babyfine and superrrrr thin. Growing long anyway!
    Lady Kan-Yu, Lawspeaker of Heaven and Earth in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    29/32/40+
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii/iii

Who in the world says ferritin is OK at 22?!

The only decent doctor I had told me I need to be at at least 80, and I'd do best around 90-95. The rest, as shody as they are with some things, still realize my iron is too low until it reaches at least close to that.
    But in the meantime I've got it hard - second floor living without a yard
    It may be years until the day - my dreams will match up with my pay

Length
    1.5/32.5/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

It can take a but of time to build iron back up in the system. I would suggest taking a b vitimin complex that includes b 12. This works for me. But you should also try to get iron more from your diet. Do you eat meat? If you do, I would suggest having red meat 1 to 2 times a day. I feel best when I do this. It is one of the things that keeps my anemia at bay. Are you having any digestive problems? Maybe have a yogurt with cultures or some of this keffir stuff. But do not have calcium at the same time you eat your iron. They battle eachother for absorbsion. If your iron deficiency is causing the shedding, it will probably take a month to clear up. And it may take as much as 3 months because of the way hair works. Health affecting your hair usually shows up about 3 months later. Don't worry. It will get better.

Length
    2/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Wow this thread is enlightening , i have been exhausted this past year. I had thought it was normal as i am a kind of older mama. Finally I went to the Dr and he ordered a full blood panel, my hemocrit came back at 43 before my period. I am thinking on my own that it has to be even lower after my period, I know women don't hold on to their iron as well as men . I have to go back to the Dr for the analysis but I'll bet I will be put on some supplements.

Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by WinterButterfly View Post
    It can take a but of time to build iron back up in the system. I would suggest taking a b vitimin complex that includes b 12. This works for me. But you should also try to get iron more from your diet. Do you eat meat? If you do, I would suggest having red meat 1 to 2 times a day. I feel best when I do this. It is one of the things that keeps my anemia at bay. Are you having any digestive problems? Maybe have a yogurt with cultures or some of this keffir stuff. But do not have calcium at the same time you eat your iron. They battle eachother for absorbsion. If your iron deficiency is causing the shedding, it will probably take a month to clear up. And it may take as much as 3 months because of the way hair works. Health affecting your hair usually shows up about 3 months later. Don't worry. It will get better.
    Hi WinterButterfly! Thanks for giving me some hope! I think I just had the worst shed I've ever had this morning. One handful of hair lost in the shower...another handful lost when using my seamless, extremely wide-tooth comb (WTF?). I know it being autumn is making the shedding even worse, but still...it shouldn't be THIS bad. Hopefully I'll notice a difference within the next month because my hair is getting significantly thinner and it's making me so sad. I'm tempted to cut it all off but I don't think I will unless if it's really terrible.

I do eat red meat, however not very often. And the only red meat I like is ground beef. I don't like steak or anything (the texture creeps me out). I do like chicken, sausage, and fish a lot though. Unfortunately those aren't red meats. I do take my iron supplement with my multivitamin that has like 300-500% of all the B vitamins, including B12. So I hope that is enough. Do you think the calcium in my multivitamin would counteract the iron supplement if I take them at the same time? I think it only has about 50% daily allowance of calcium.

And yeah I'm totally having digestive problems from taking Metformin, which I really think is the culprit. I think I need to start eating yogurt on a daily basis again....and probably take some probiotics as well. Thanks to chenille's link, I'm going to only get good food for my hair when I go grocery shopping this weekend.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    APL/&#914/WL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by amantha View Post
    So I was recently diagnosed as being iron deficient (not anemic yet though, whew!). I was told to take 2 pills of ferrous sulfate every day and go back in 3 months to get more blood work done.

Before I was diagnosed, I had noticed that my hair has been shedding like crazy since April or May..and I'm pretty sure I've lost a significant amount of thickness (especially around the crown of my head and temples). I know that iron deficiency can make one lose their hair. I was wondering if anyone else on here who is/was iron deficient/anemic noticed a difference in the amount that their hair shed after taking iron supplements. Also, how long did you have to take the supplements to notice a difference? I've only been taking them about a week, but I'm still shedding like crazy and I'm impatient! And taking a shower and seeing a handful of long hairs come out always makes me so depressed.

I was also thinking of taking MSM to decrease shedding and was wondering if anyone has had any success with it. Are there any side effects? How long did you have to take it to notice a decrease (if any) in shedding?

I should note that I take GNC's women's ultra mega active daily multivitamin, magnesium, B2, one fish oil capsule, and alpha lipoic acid on a daily basis. I don't even know why I'm iron deficient in the first place considering that my GNC multivitamin has 100% daily allowance of iron in it.

Looking forward to hearing any advice!
    I had major shedding due to iron deficiency and after I started taking iron tablets (two a day) I noticed a 50% decrease in 3-4 weeks.. It takes time!

Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Tsopana View Post
    I had major shedding due to iron deficiency and after I started taking iron tablets (two a day) I noticed a 50% decrease in 3-4 weeks.. It takes time!
    YES. I'm taking 2 a day and I'm already one week down. I can wait another month. I just don't want it to take like...6 or 7 months with the same amount of shedding or I'll be bald!

Length
    artis/20 in/neck
    Type
    1b/F/M/i

anemia changed my life from roots.
    I changed my food totally and my trully wish was to beat deficiency, and lot of readings about iron deficiency nad hair loss, especially my hair was horrible

Anemia in pregnancy was horrible experience and i'm scaring of talking of that, that was really horrible.
    My little monica is healthy little girl thanks to god of that!

People, try to live healthy, health is only what we need!

I was on 2 x 200 mg ferrous sulphate daily for about 10 years because of low ferritin (caused by heavy periods). It did make a huge difference to my shedding - took about 2-3 months to see improvement. Hang in there amantha! I really hope the iron tabs help you.