Thread: how do I protect my hair from chlorine?

Length
    18/22.5/36+
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Default how do I protect my hair from chlorine?

I want to start swimming laps a few mornings every week, but I'm worried about the damage to my hair. I've read suggestions to first wet your hair so it doesn't soak up as much chlorine and to put a leave-in conditioner on it before getting in as well. But what about afterwards? Should I use a claryifying shampoo every time?
    ...All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Length
    hip/hip/hurra
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Default Re: how do I protect my hair from chlorine?

I would actually recommend putting in a rinse-off rather than a leave-in conditioner. Definitely no need for clarifying shampoo; in fact, since chlorine is so drying I might recommend CO washing afterwards instead of shampoo. If you do use shampoo you definitely want to use plenty of conditioner afterwards!
    I'm a little piggy! (^(oo)^)v

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Wet hair first, apply oil, braid snugly. Add a swim cap if you can tolerate it (I can't).

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    Wet hair first, apply oil, braid snugly. Add a swim cap if you can tolerate it (I can't).
    Ditto. Wash it afterwards before it has a chance to dry, too, and have your heaviest conditioners and deep moisture treatments at the ready, your hair will need them.

Length
    24/30/~
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...e&articleid=42
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&articleid=115

There you go!

I swim daily and besides turning slightly imaginary green I haven't noticed dry or crispy hair. I recommend keeping it braided and at least a rinse (water or club soda) every time.
    I found 1 coarse hair on my head!

Length
    18/22.5/36+
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Thanks for all the great advice!
    ...All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Length
    CBL/WL/CL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I do this all summer and it seems to work. I cant get up the courage to use a swim cap so I always soak my hair with the hose first so hair will absorb water instead of just jumping right in and it absorbing chlorine. Then when I am done swimming I rinse with the hose again and use a conditioner. ( or just take a shower while its still wet since the hose water is likely to be freezing!) I always go out to the pool with a comb and a bottle of conditioner...my family thought I was crazy at first, now they are used to it and even my Aunt has taken up my strategy.

Length
    27"/29"/36"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

ACV works wonders. It feels like I'm rinsing all of the chlorine out

Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

My method of protecting my hair sounds similar to all of the other ones up there ^

I first use my boar bristle brush to get out any tangles and put it into a ponytail. I then dampen my roots and ends with my spray bottle. Then I take some Suave conditioner (Ocean Breeze is my fave!) and smooth it onto my roots, and then slather even more onto my length (sometimes I put some olive oil too). Then just braid it carefully and tightly and swim with that. (Swim cap would be best D

When I'm done swimming I go in the shower, get the water to tepid, and rinse my hair with the braided ponytail still in. I then remove the elastic at the bottom of my braid, and put some more conditioner in it. Let it sit for a minute, then rinse carefully (this ensures there are NO tangles, and it works AMAZING!!!) I then take out the first elastic and lightly condition my roots, then rinse. THEN I deep condition. (I do not wash at all after I swim, it dries out my hair like crazy!)

Wow it seems really long when I type it out, but it works wonders, and my hair feels just the same as it did before I started swimming at my boyfriend's house this summer!