Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tea Tree oil lifted the henna from my nails?

Length
    BSL/waist/term!
    Type
    1b/F/ii/iii

Default Tea Tree oil lifted the henna from my nails?

Long story short, I have some fungal issues (ew, TMI, I know) with my nails, due to being on IV steroids. I keep it at bay with tea tree oil, a few drops on each nail, during flares. It works, for the record.

I also henna my nails (which is good for that problem as well). I've found that the henna stain does not stay when I'm treating with tea tree oil. This makes me wonder if a good strong diluted tea tree oil--in a carrier oil but with plenty of essential oil--would remove some henna from the hair as well?

This seems counter-intuitive, since tea tree's a terp (isn't it? I don't terp hair henna). Anyone know?

(I don't want to remove my henna; I love it. But I know there are people who do.)

Last of the Brunnen-G kwaniesiam's Avatar
    Length
    bald/mop/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

Default Re: Tea Tree oil lifted the henna from my nails?

Save some shed hair and soak it in your tea tree oil to find out then let us know!
    Your neighborhood LHC-friendly hair stylist Anyone is always free to PM me if they have any questions they think I might be able to help with, hair or otherwise!

Length
    BSL/waist/term!
    Type
    1b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by kwaniesiam View Post
    Save some shed hair and soak it in your tea tree oil to find out then let us know!
    Ooh, that's an idea. I may not be the best candidate, though--I have really dark hair that's been henna'ed over (redder on the ends where it was once dyed medium brown.) Would a natural blonde want to try this trick?

Length
    12"/41"/41"
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Very interesting observation. A good friend of mine who has been using henna for years actually used some TT EO neat on her scalp because of problems with dandruff. The treatment left little white spots on the roots in the area where she applied the TT. Of course she stopped doing it but always wondered if the TT did that or something else.

Since it happened on your fingernails it would be interesting to see what happens when you do test it on shed hair. Thanks so much for sharing. I will tell my friend what you discovered on your nails.

Length
    28/42.5/???
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i

This could be a good method to remove henna stain from your forehead, ears, nape, or whatever you've accidentally coloured during application
    ...procrastinating the new signature...

Length
    bsl/chin/tlb
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

I know this thread has been pretty dead for a while now but I saw a thread pop up about tea tree oil mixed in shampoo and how it removed henna pretty well. I just wanted to make a note of it over here too! I'm going to try it on my next wash and see what happens

Length
    Chin/APL/BSL/W
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by TheMechaGinger View Post
    I know this thread has been pretty dead for a while now but I saw a thread pop up about tea tree oil mixed in shampoo and how it removed henna pretty well. I just wanted to make a note of it over here too! I'm going to try it on my next wash and see what happens
    Thanks for the tip! I might give it a try!
    Lady Scarlet of the Whispering Philosophes in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    pixie/Hip/n/a
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Tea Tree Oil is so pretty strong stuff. The amount used to lift from the nails would be a lot less than the amount needed to lift it from a whole head of hair.

Quote Originally Posted by mz_butterfly View Post
    Tea Tree Oil is so pretty strong stuff. The amount used to lift from the nails would be a lot less than the amount needed to lift it from a whole head of hair.
    I mixed 1/4 - 1/2 tsp of TTO with shampoo and let it sit on my hair for a few minutes (2-4 minutes). I did that three times over the course of a week. My henna is two shades lighter. If I wasn't so thrilled with the color right now, I'd be tempted to do it again and leave it in much longer just to see what happens.

Length
    SL/CL+/WL+
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Oh wow. The conditioner I just got to do my CO washes has tea tree oil in it as part of the conditioner (Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle). Do you think it will lighten my henna? There's not enough in there to smell the tea tree, even though it's the second ingredient on the list! I really don't want it to. Though I have so many layers of henna on my length that I'm not sure it would be noticeable if it did (I henna once a month or so.)

ETA: It never even OCCURRED to me that it would possibly lighten my henna! nothing budges henna! I thought...

Shoulder--APL--BSL--Waist--Tailbone+
    Disc bun tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1YzsZ_s-U4