Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair care on a boat ???!! Advice needed please.

Length
    20"/MBL/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Question Hair care on a boat ???!! Advice needed please.

Oh boy. I have a trip coming up and I have no idea what to take hair wise or how to deal with my hair while I am there.

(My dream come true is this trip !!!!!!!! I hope my hair survives it !)

I am going to be on a catamaran in the Bahamas for 14 days, snorkeling and exploring. Lots of salt water in my hair ! And bathing is done with a 2gallon bucket and a big sponge. How will I wash all my hair ? How will I rinse all my hair with such a small amount of water compared to what I am used to ???? The fresh water tank must be used sparingly so it lasts.
    When snorkeling I usually just french braid my hair but it gets tangled once in a while in the clip that connects the snorkel to my mask strap. Any other suggestions for wearing my hair in the water ?

How will I protect my hair from sun and salt water and yet minimally take care of it and pack lightly ???!?!?!?!?!

And suggestions or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Default Re: Hair care on a boat ???!! Advice needed please.

A white cotton scarf to protect your head from the sun. You sure don't want a sunburned scalp!

Last of the Brunnen-G kwaniesiam's Avatar
    Length
    bald/mop/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

Would oiling and lots of small braids kept in for a long time work for you? Keep your scalp covered with a scarf during the day to prevent sunburn. That way you wouldn't have to wash your hair much, if at all depending on how well they stayed in. You could also use a swim cap to keep the exposure to the salt water at a minimum.
    Your neighborhood LHC-friendly hair stylist Anyone is always free to PM me if they have any questions they think I might be able to help with, hair or otherwise!

I would oil it, and let it go. Keep it in a protective style as much as possible, make sure that you don't get your scalp sunburnt, and enjoy yourself.

It is your dream trip! Enjoy it!
    There is no passion to be found in playing small, in settling for a life that is less than what you are capable of living- Nelson Mandela. My blog: http://www.ibleedlipstick.com

Length
    20"/MBL/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by kwaniesiam View Post
    Would oiling and lots of small braids kept in for a long time work for you? Keep your scalp covered with a scarf during the day to prevent sunburn. That way you wouldn't have to wash your hair much, if at all depending on how well they stayed in. You could also use a swim cap to keep the exposure to the salt water at a minimum.
    I have the Speedo long hair swim cap and my hair does not fit under it. I have tried everything. Tightly bunning, braiding, clipping, there is just no way. Plus my head is big to begin with, lol ! My daughter is a competitive swimmer and a swim cap has never kept her hair dry, just contained.

I have never had lots of small braids before. Might be interesting ! Wonder if all my layers would make it more difficult ......

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by kwaniesiam View Post
    Agreed; I did something similar for three and a half weeks last summer. During that time they got drenched with sea water a few times, just rinsed out with fresh water afterwards; no product whatsoever (mostly because I forgot my toiletries bag... shh ). It's quite labour-intensive to put them in (and more so to take them out), but in between the care is really easy, you can braid them back, and you can enjoy that feeling of having hair on your back without worrying about detangling before bed. It took a few washes (and a couple of deep conditioning treatments) to get my hair back to normal afterwards, and a small trim helped, but besides that, no problems.

Lucky you! I wish I could go there... Maybe you could go shopping and ask for men's swimming cap. I bet they are bigger and probably your hair will fit under it, too.

Length
    APL/Clsc/Clsc
    Type
    1b/F/ii

*happily contemplates a Christmas holiday a few years back which was spent on a boat sailing among the Whitsunday Islands*
    First, braids are your friends. If your hair is in braids, you can - and hopefully will - forget about them. And when the hair is braided, it doesn't need to be combed or otherwise messed with. And see if you can find a hat or something to plop onto your head as much as possible.
    Also, forget about neatness - and I hope you are not the sort that is dependent on washing her hair daily? When you are on a boat, there is a lot of water available - all around it, and all full of salt. Fresh water tends to be reserved for drinking, and at most a very skimpy rinse - of your body only. Real washing and showering will happen ashore.
    That holiday was in my pre-LHC days - nowadays I would pack a big jar of coconut oil for my hair. Definitely look into something protective for your hair.
    There is likely to be some damage to your hair from the sun and salt water, but that is not a reason to forego the real pleasures of this sort of holiday. The sun and the sea are there to be enjoyed, after all! You can promise your hair some long SMT soaks when you get home.
    And pack a lot of SPF 30+ sunscreen, and apply often.
    Lady Northern Lights, Keeper of the Gates of Dawn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    20"/MBL/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Thanks for all the great replies !

I guess I should add that I am not new to adventures involving tropical locations, I have taken one yearly for the last 4 years. I have managed so far to not get sunburnt, I wear a long sleeved surfing rash guard with built in SPF while snorkeling or diving, so I only have to worry about my face, legs, hands and feet. It is one of my best purchases ever ! I usually spend hours in the water and, like I stated before, keep my hair french braided.
    The boat is the part that throws me a bit off. I have only spend a day on a boat before, not two full weeks. We will probably only go ashore twice during that time. (To a real harbor or marina. We will be exploring the Exumas and going ashore the many uninhabited islands, but that means no ammenities obviously) I am used to diving or snorkeling all day and then going back to a hotel room and jumping in a shower. My hair has always been rinsed thoroughly after gettting out of the ocean and washed and conditioned once back at the hotel. My hair has looked great after each vacation and I am just wondering if this one will take it's toll.

I should add that this is a nice boat and there is fresh water for drinking, cooking with, washing dishes and clothes, etc. Hair is just probably not a priority. Except to me

Length
    0"/Pixie/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

I think I remember a member here saying she was protecting her hair from the heat by applying a lot of shea butter and then putting it in braid.

I think maybe I misunderstood you, but do you mean to say you won't really have shampoo on this trip? Maybe that'll help protect it from saltwater and so forth.

(I come from a frozen tundra, so I feel like I'm not being a huge help right now. )
    Bald Guru Tries Again 2k15 (journal)
    Shaved
    | Pixie | Ear | Jaw | Chin | Collar | Shoulder | APL