Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Frizz Buster Gel

Length
    19"/43"/40"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default Frizz Buster Gel

This gel has been the single greatest contributor to my defeat of frizz.

It works for me, a 2C with curly wavy seriously frizzy hair.
    It works for my daughter's Botticelli curls. It gives good definition and moisture.

I think the reason it works so well is that the aloe provides moisture and the oil seals it in. Also, the aloe allows the oil to be spread very evenly.

What can I say, it just works.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

Frizz Buster Gel
    I mix this as I use it, I don't mix a bunch of it ahead.

In a small medicine cup (like a Nyquil Cup) put:
    scant 1/8 tsp Oil (Fractionated or Unrefined coconut oil, jojoba, or Ojon)
    (If it is humid, add a drop or two of castor oil)
    3/4 tsp Aloe Gel (Fruit of the Earth or Food Grade)
    Swish in with finger (this warms it enough to mix well)

note: if you use unrefined coconut oil, you can put it in the cup first and breath on it to melt it.

Application:
    Just put a dollop in your palm, rub your hands together a little and apply to length with flats of hands.

Any excess is great on your legs and arms.

Notes on Oil:
    Monoi, Fractionated or Unrefined Coconut Oil, Ojon Restorative, and Jojoba all work well.

For Scented Hair Oil, I mix 1 imp of BPAL with 2oz. of Fractionated coconut oil to make wonderful scented oil. This works with jojoba also.
    I usually apply about 1/2-3/4 the recipe after I take off my microfiber towel onto damp hair. Then I comb well. (The rest on my legs.)

I use it at night then sleep with my hair in a bun right on the very top of my head. In the morning, I just shake it down and finger comb. This gives me really nice bun waves.

Food grade aloe gel doesn't have a copolymer added so it is less gel-like, but you have to refrigerate after opening.

FOTE has a copolymer added (It only takes a tiny amount to create a room temp gel so they don't often list it.) It will rinse out of your hair easily.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +
    After a LOT of perusing of my hair lab notebook. I've noticed that I get much better results with coconut oil than any other oil. In fact, I've been using it almost exclusively for the last 6 months or so.

Also, I put this on my warm wet hair while I'm still in the shower. Then I comb well. It leaves my hair shiny and almost completely without frizz.
    Last edited by Gladtobemom; February 6th, 2011 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Fix formatting problem
    [/URL]

Length
    13/30.5/36
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

This sounds great! Have you ever tried applying it on dry hair? Or do you always apply to damp hair?
    1st Mini Goal: SL (MET!!) 2nd Mini-Goal: APL (MET!), 3rd Mini Goal: BSL (Done), 4th Mini Goal: Waist(And DONE!!), Goal: Hip Length
    Lady Cliodna of the Otherworlds in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Tapioca

I've been using something very similar to this for about a month or two. I mix it in my hand as I use it.
    2-3 drops jojoba oil
    A small glob aloe (I get a brand at the health food store that has chamomile and comfrey in it.)
    Mix together, and apply to towel-dried hair, then comb through.
    I also use it as a facial moisturizer! My face *adores* it. I've never used anything that keeps my face from drying out by the end of the day without feeling greasy. Until now!
    I've been thinking of trying to make up more than a day's use at a time, though. I'll have to experiment, if I can find a small container.
    The BPAL sounds great, but I don't think I'd want it on my face. Besides, I love how my conditioner leaves my hair smelling. (Suave Vanilla Floral.)

For several months now I've been taking a bottle of FOTE & mixing it with Jojoba oil. The easiest way is to take a bottle that is 1/2 to 3/4 full and squirt some Jojoba oil into the bottle and then shake. It mixes easily and stays mixed. I put it in a small pump bottle that I leave in the bathroom. (I think I use a smaller proportion of oil to aloe than is listed here. But I don't measure, I just eyeball it and then rub some on my hands after mixing. I start light on the oil and add more until I get the amount of oiliness that I'm looking for. Not too much, just a nice sheen.)
    My husband uses this mix on his face after shaving and on his hair as a leave in after showering. He is balding on top and the hair he has can be quite dry and flyaway. This both tames and conditions his hair. It took me a bit of finessing to get him turned on to this combination but now that he has he loves it. The last time he traveled he asked me to make him up some more so that he would have enough to take on his trip.

Tapioca

I made up about a week's worth in a small tupperware container, and it worked great! (My husband calls it my tub o'snot, since it kinda looks like it...) It didn't separate, didn't go bad, and didn't smell funny. I just made up some more, and I didn't measure this time. Just filled the container half full with aloe and added some jojoba oil. Mixed with my finger, added some more oil, and repeat. As soon as it looked right, I stopped.

Length
    19"/43"/40"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default Tub O' Snot, hair was frizzy, now its NOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
    I made up about a week's worth in a small tupperware container, and it worked great! (My husband calls it my tub o'snot . . .
    Can't you just hear the jingle in your head?

Tub O' Snot, hair was frizzy, now its NOT.
    [/URL]

Tapioca

But you have to repeat the first line twice.

Tub O'Snot,
    Tub O'Snot.
    Hair was frizzy
    Now it's not.

Hmm. Think we can turn it into a Haiku for the Haiku thread?

Length
    19"/43"/40"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Frizz Buster Gel, adding castor oil

I have an improvement.

I've put castor oil and fractionated coconut oil into a dripper bottle. 4 oz. coconut oil, 1.5 tsp castor oil.

I shake well and add 9 drops of the oil mixture to about 1 tsp. of the aloe gel. Then I mix with my finger in alittle medicine cup.

The castor oil really makes a difference.

I get more shine and even less frizz.
    [/URL]

Length
    chin/30.5/44+?
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Default Re: Frizz Buster Gel

I've been using castor in this for a few months and I really like it.
    Some people have a way with words. Others, oh. . . no. . . have. . . way. --Steve Martin

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Frizz Buster Gel

GTBM, how long have you been using the castor oil for?
    I've read that it might darken hair, did you notice something like that happening to your hair?

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!