Page 1 of 77 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Discuss Oil Shampoo

Growing by Benign Neglect In2wishin's Avatar
    Length
    15/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Discuss Oil Shampoo

While we are waiting for the original thread to be reopened I would like to start this for those of us who are continuing, or want to start with, the oil shampoo method originally started by Ktani.

I have been using it for a month now and really love the method. The advantages I have found so far are:

1. less of a hassle (I mix up a couple of weeks worth at a time)
    2. fewer products (therefore less money)
    3. Use much less water in the shower (shampoo once, rinse, and go)

I love that I have "wash and wear" hair again like when I was a child. It is even better because I no longer have the winter static. Even as a kid I needed what was then known as a creme rinse to calm the static. I need nothing except my shampoo/oil mix now.

For anyone who may be interested in starting, the steps are simple (condensed from Ktani's original recommendations):

• clarify your hair (do this only the first time)
    • mix coconut oil(or oil from other palm type trees like babassu, palm, murumuru) with a simple shampoo (the milder the better). start with equal parts and adjust as you go
    • While the shampoo is in your hair, add a small amount of additional oil to the ends if needed
    • Rinse
    • Follow up with an acidic rinse if needed because of hard water or a soap-based shampoo like castile or shampoo bars
    • Additionally, you can use oils, light conditioners, etc. as long as they will wash out with the next shampoo

Thank you, Finoriel for suggesting we open another thread.

Length
    PIXIE/CHIN/BSL
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: Discuss Oil Shampoo

Yes thank you for opening another thread. I will be reading all of the posts as I would really like to try this.

Length
    18/18/36
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/ii/iii

Each of my trials are detailed here.

Since then, I've done pretty-much the same, except I eliminated the first club-soda-presoak. I've done the following twice since I last updated my blog:

(Aussie Aussome Volume shampoo / Harvest Bay Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, 1:1 ratio, 5 ml each)

Began by saturating my hair with distilled water. Then I applied half of the oil-shampoo to my scalp only and lathered it up, then I applied the rest to my length and lathered THAT up.

Once all my hair was covered with the lather, I didn't let it sit at all, just rinsed it out quickly with tap water. (I actually counted the seconds, beginning the moment my scalp was fully lathered. My scalp was covered in the oil-shampoo for a total of twenty seconds, my length about fifteen seconds. I'm keeping track of this because, in the original article, Carole Lombard's stylist said that during filming, her hair required daily shampooing, but it was also specified that it was a 'quick soaping'. Who knows, maybe there was good reason? I thought I'd see if I could find out).

I followed up with the 8 oz of club soda to compensate for my hard water, & massaged & let it drip for while I did other showerly things, and finished with a final rinse using 8 oz distilled water.

Results both times were still wonderful. Even though I HATE drip-drying in cold weather, these past 2 attempts, I bit the bullet and let my curls do their thang, to see how this method effects them. They DEFINITELY like this! Even days 2 & 3, all I have to do once I take my hair down in the morning (I do the 'Pebbles Flintstone' thing to sleep) is rake my fingers up from my nape through the length, lightly mist and re-arrange the canopy, and by the time I'm done with my first cup of coffee, all is well in my world.
    No rival will steal away my sure love; that glory will be my gray hair.
    ~ Sextus Propertius

Length
    short/short/long
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii/iii

So you can use any mild shampoo? Is there a list of shampoos that work well with this method?

Thanks

Type
    1a/M/ii

If you want to try this method I would advise you to look at the original thread http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=57025
    Ktani put so much information in it! On the first post there is also a link to Optimal and Final Optimal Results Shampoos, so check it out.

Length
    short/short/long
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by brelj View Post
    If you want to try this method I would advise you to look at the original thread http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=57025
    Ktani put so much information in it! On the first post there is also a link to Optimal and Final Optimal Results Shampoos, so check it out.

Thank You! I've been reading through the thread but did not see where to look for the shampoos used.

Length
    pixie/APL/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

For those Renegreys doing this method, I thought I'd mention that the Movie Star shampoo method has gradually stopped making my silver hair as bright as it once did. My hair now looks dingy grey after just one shampoo with oil added, following two shampoos without oil, so I'm going back to shampoo and conditioner at least for a while. Maybe I can alternate this method with other methods in cycles and let it desaturate so that I can start the process again.

My scalp also has a lot of flaky build-up in some places, so I'm thinking I need a change.
    ~* Official Renegrey *~* shimmerglisten *~
    "Hair is a little bit of artwork that we all carry around with us." - Brian Eno

Length
    15/26.5/37
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

I recently puchased an organic olive oil shampoo called "Olive Oil creamy Aloe Shampoo" that I'm really happy with. I was afraid it would leave my hair greasy but I use it once or a twice a week at the most and it leaves my hair very soft. It smells great as well. I have other hair mixtures that I make before doing my hair so I didn't want to be bothered with making a shampoo as well. This one has worked great for me so far.
    <*26.5*--> BSL 27"- WSL 31" TB 37">

Length
    18/18/36
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/ii/iii

Olive Oil creamy Aloe Shampoo (if it's the one by Organic Root Stimulator) is supposed to work well as a chelating shampoo as well, eliminating calcium buildup if you have hard water.
    No rival will steal away my sure love; that glory will be my gray hair.
    ~ Sextus Propertius

Length
    24/22/34-44
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by AerithMoon View Post
    I recently puchased an organic olive oil shampoo called "Olive Oil creamy Aloe Shampoo" that I'm really happy with. I was afraid it would leave my hair greasy but I use it once or a twice a week at the most and it leaves my hair very soft. It smells great as well. I have other hair mixtures that I make before doing my hair so I didn't want to be bothered with making a shampoo as well. This one has worked great for me so far.

That's the second commercial oil shampoo I've seen around. I got nice results with Avalon Organics Olive and Grapeseed moisturizing shampoo as well, very shiny hair. You can see the oil separating toward the top, which is probably a formulary flaw but which proves it's in there in some quantity at least. However, I still needed a conditioner afterwards.

The straight coconut and no-buildup shampoo together work a little differently, in that the shampoo allows the lauric acid in the coconut to go right into the cortex of your hair (obviously I am parotting Ktani here). I haven't needed conditioner at all since I started doing this! Even when the Prell started making my ends a tad dry, a few drops of Tamanu oil were enough to solve the problem.

Boomtownrat--I'm curious about how long you've been doing this. Post-saturation hair care is still rather mysterious to me.