Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can smoking damage hair

Type
    1c/M/ii

Default can smoking damage hair

i used to smoke and i enjoyed smoking and thank goodness i wasnt adicted ...but one day i heard smoking can make hair fall out so i quit .. i didnt want to sabatage my hair because i wanted it to grow long again but since im here with hair experts i thought i would see what you guys have to say?let me say i wasnt smoking before 18 i had tried it once or twice but i decided to be legal about it lol..

Length
    pixie/Nape/25+
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: can smoking damage hair

I dont know about making it fall out. I smoke and my hair is not falling out, and I've smoked for many years...It does make it smell, and I'm sure it can dry the hair out.
    We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves. - Dalai Lama

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

If you can stay away from the cigarettes, you'll be so much better off in so many ways. I'm sure hair is affected at some point or another. When you undermine your health, nonessentials like hair get less circulation, which means less nutrition to the follicles. So while your hair might not fall out, it could certainly get more dull and limp and thin.

Length
    neck/waist/term
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Anything you do that is detrimental to your health is detrimental to your hair. I smoked most of my adult life and quit 1 year ago cold turkey. I had a lump in my breast and I was scared silly. It was non-cancerous but at the time, I did not know that. It was like a wake up call. We cannot keep doing all these things that are bad for us and expect to be the ones who do not have to pay for them in the long run. I want to be a healthy 100 year old. I want to be here for my 4 children and 5 grand children. So I quit smoking. It was very difficult, to be honest. But I did it.

a new journey begins

Type
    1c/M/C/ii/iii

Smoking overall is bad. My abuelo died of lung cancer in his 50's and my mom is a chimney. There are no true benefits that I can think of. My mom's hair was beautiful during her periods of being smoke free. But when she smokes, she smells gross and her hair looks dry, which is especially bad for her curly hair.

Follow my hair journey on tumblr
    http://jensnaturalhairjourney.tumblr.com/

Banned
    Type
    1a/C/iii

Smoking is just bad for your health overall. Whether there is a direct relationship on whether smoking alone is bad for your hair I'm not entirely sure about, but as everyone is well aware smoking very often contributes to lung cancer and emphysema and a whole host of other preventable diseases. Smoking also shortens your lifespan, so knowing all that I think its safe to say that smoking certainly can't be beneficial to your hair.

Length
    Pixie/Pixie/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I smoke, so I am not going to lecture!
    I do know it's bad for overall health and it depletes the body of vitamins.
    I do try to compensate for my nasty habit by eating well, drinking a lot of water and taking supplements. I know it's no substitute for quitting.
    My overall hair/nail health is pretty good if you ask me.
    I think if the rest of your dietary habits/exercise are good, it can make up for the smoking. Also, depends on how much you smoke. If you are smoking a pack a day or more, you may want to look in to cutting down or if you can, quitting. I really want to stop, but it is hard.
    Good luck to you!
    The Wild Beast From The Land of Hair That Cannot Be Tamed
    Pixie - Chin- Shoulder - APL - BSL - Waist - TBL

Length
    neck/waist/term
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

"I think if the rest of your dietary habits/exercise are good, it can make up for the smoking."

Tell that to the lung cancer patients that I sat with as they painfully gasp and struggled for their last breaths of air. Tell that to all the nurses like me who held the hands of the dieing.

a new journey begins

Length
    CB/CB/BL
    Type
    3b/3c/F/ii

Smoking is bad for your health. So, if you quit smoking you'll be healthier and maybe it will reflect in your hair

Length
    Pixie/Pixie/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by feralnature View Post
    "I think if the rest of your dietary habits/exercise are good, it can make up for the smoking."

Tell that to the lung cancer patients that I sat with as they painfully gasp and struggled for their last breaths of air. Tell that to all the nurses like me who held the hands of the dieing.
    I was referring to hair health, not lung cancer!
    The Wild Beast From The Land of Hair That Cannot Be Tamed
    Pixie - Chin- Shoulder - APL - BSL - Waist - TBL