Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Help on removing henna/indigo from hair?

Default Re: Help on removing henna/indigo from hair?

Thank you Ktani for all your useful information! You have so much knowledge about hair I look forward to being able to use the honey treatment once my hair is more one toned!

So I decided to take the leap and use Sun-In. I ordered it online, so when it comes I'll see what the strand tests say!

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by KaliC714 View Post
    Thank you Ktani for all your useful information! You have so much knowledge about hair I look forward to being able to use the honey treatment once my hair is more one toned!
    My pleasure and thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by KaliC714 View Post
    So I decided to take the leap and use Sun-In. I ordered it online, so when it comes I'll see what the strand tests say!
    When I researched it online, Sun-In is 3% or 10 volume peroxide. There is a 6% or 20 volume peroxide Sun-In, or there was one available online. The volume of peroxide was stated on the box. Conventional peroxide has been reported to turn henndigoed hair greenish. Your strand tests will show what it can do.

The honey lightning won't work with one treatment...everyone that has done honey lightening (olive oil, honey, cinnamon-unheated), had to do the procedure a few time to see any results.

Quote Originally Posted by bumblebums View Post
    Yeah, but she was using henndigo, not just henna...bleach can turn indigo green.

Length
    18/20.5/30
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i

DON'T BLEACH!! I only used indigo in my hair 2x, and it turned green when I bleached it. Dying ash brown over it didn't really cover it either. My ends are still darker than the rest of my hair.

Quote Originally Posted by little_cherry View Post
    The honey lightning won't work with one treatment...everyone that has done honey lightening (olive oil, honey, cinnamon-unheated), had to do the procedure a few time to see any results.

Yeah, but she was using henndigo, not just henna...bleach can turn indigo green.
    Well, I have registered my opinion on this issue in the henna hater thread... Henna is generally thought to be a "forever" kind of thing. But since people say they managed to get the color to budge somewhat with Sun-In, I thought I'd mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by bumblebums View Post
    Well, I have registered my opinion on this issue in the henna hater thread... Henna is generally thought to be a "forever" kind of thing. But since people say they managed to get the color to budge somewhat with Sun-In, I thought I'd mention it.
    And you are right! Sun-In or 10 volume peroxide can work great on lightening henna, as well as can honey lightening. It is the indigo that is the problem with using conventional peroxide and bleach.

This falls under curiosity more than anything else. See "Fast Fade jeans" here, http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/FAQ/dis...hemicals.shtml.

The MSDS on sodium dichloroisocyanurate is to be taken seriously, http://www.johnsondiversey.cz/apps/m...TAB_D4_TAB.pdf.

I have not found an MSDS sheet for Dylon Easy Bleach yet. One would have to read the label very, very carefully on cautions. ETA: I do not think it is on the market any longer.
    Last edited by ktani; October 5th, 2010 at 03:03 PM. Reason: ETA

Quote Originally Posted by little_cherry View Post

I know, but it lightened my less dark pieces drastically in my strand tests, and the color variations in my hair are too random to just put honey treatment in one area. i.e., several pieces are two different colors, and the back of my head has the majority of light pieces--however, even with those, there are many spots that are much darker.

DON'T BLEACH!! I only used indigo in my hair 2x, and it turned green when I bleached it. Dying ash brown over it didn't really cover it either. My ends are still darker than the rest of my hair.

Don't worry, I don't plan on bleaching If I were to, it would be a very last resort option.

I know there's a possibility Sun-In can turn indigo green, but since it's so inexpensive I figured it would be well worth trying it out on my strand tests. It would be much easier to spray on the darker pieces than to do honey treatments on them so I figure it's worth trying. I still have the honey that worked well, and I'm considering just doing multiple strand tests on the dark hair to see how many treatments it will take before it begins to lighten, but it would be a lot of work and would need at least one other person to help in order to get it on the dark pieces only, so even though it may be better for my hair/less risky, it would also be so much more time consuming. Plus, I used to use Sun-In quite a bit when I was a teenager, and remember it working pretty well on my hair when I used to use Lush's henna bar mixtures--though I'm fairly sure those were henna, not indigo (but then again, I can't be positive!). Anyway, if the Sun-In does anything--including turning my hair green--I'll report back for anyone interested. I also purchased some La Bella lightening gel that I also used to use as a kid. It's basically the same as Sun-In, except that the peroxide amount is higher and it's a gel. It has more chemicals, I think, but it was cheap as well and if I can get the colors to be more even, I can use it in place of my regular gel as I use gel for my curls.

Thanks once again for the advice and feedback!