Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brushing VS Not Brushing?

Length
    12/12/25
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii

Default Brushing VS Not Brushing?

Hi everyone! So when trying to grow out my hair, I am a bit confused at to whether or not I should brush/comb (I use a wide toothed comb) my hair frequently? Some say that it distributes the natural oils? Some say it causes breakage? What would you recommend and how frequently do you brush or comb your hair? Thanks and happy growing : ) !!

Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Brushing VS Not Brushing?

If you use a wide tooth comb and a BBB (Boar bristle brush) there would be no breakage. I comb my hair before making an updo (1-2 times per day) and I brush 1-2 times per day, once before going to bed and the second time (if at all) when I feel I need it to smooth my hair.
    Don't be afraid of brushing/combing. Use good products- seamless wide tooth comb and a BBB, be gentle with your moves, and everything would be ok. Detangled, smooth hair and no breakage

Length
    BSL/Chin/?
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

I comb mine when I'm in the shower, when it's full of conditioner.
    I shower anywhere from once a day to twice a week XD. This is better for me since my hair doesn't really tangle too much, and combing it a lot makes it less wavy, and I love my waves.
    I couldn't say whether it causes breakage or not, because I am always shedding and therefore losing hair.

Length
    14in/27in/40in
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Personally I fingercomb in the morning and comb with a wide toothed comb at night and after i wash my hair. I am honestly not sure what in 'best' for hair, I think it completely depends on your hair. If it works for you then stick with it i guess...

Rodent Of Unusual Size Capybara's Avatar
    Length
    chin/BCL/clsc
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

It depends. Whatever works for you, do it

Many members here swear by a certain brush or comb, or even finger combing exclusively. I think that, if something works for you then by all means do it. It may be helpful, in your case, to experiment with different brushes and combs.

Personally, I use a wide toothed shower comb in the morning (if my hair wasn't braided the night before - if it was, I don't brush or comb), and only use the BBB at night to distribute oils. It's up to you

ETA: you may wish to ask some of the curly haired members for advice as well. My routine works for my hair, but it mint not work for you
    I feel like a longhair again! Retire Your Ruler for 90 Days!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

With curls, I'd recommend you NEVER use a brush EXCEPT very carefully just before washing your hair if you really want to. Combing conditioner through in the shower and then hands off results in the best curl formation in my experience.

Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    With curls, I'd recommend you NEVER use a brush EXCEPT very carefully just before washing your hair if you really want to. Combing conditioner through in the shower and then hands off results in the best curl formation in my experience.
    Shhhh... I should have checked your hairtype before giving you any advice. Sorry. Indeed, brushing curls is not a good idea, unless you hate them.

Onward and Upward GoddesJourney's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL!/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

I agree, brushing curls is typically not a good plan. However, if you want to distribute oils before a wash or before bed or something, a brush is a good way to do it. A BBB is fine for some people. I find it does not penetrate my hair in the least. I found a wooden paddle brush and it is my favorite thing ever. You may or may not like something like that.

For cool tips on life, check out my blog, How to Be Awesome, For Free, a survival guide for surviving in style.

Length
    12/25/35
    Type
    2a/M/i/ii

I prefer combing to brushing.

You should experiment with your hair, see how it reacts to brushing and then see how it reacts to combing although with curly hair you may find your hair prefers the comb or neither!
    Chin - Shoulder - APL - BSL - Waist - Hip - Tailbone
    - No Heat - Veggie Dyes - No Cuts -

Type
    3a/M/ii

I'm a bit less curly (I have wavy middles and curly ends) and I comb in the shower, which seems to work well to distribute oil, as it removes loose hairs, which spread the oil down. I don't brush. I find tangles by the comb stopping; if I used a brush, it wouldn't stop as hard, or it might stop when one of the inner pins reached the tangle.
    Pyerre Mehendi Mage in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    My name is Indigo Montoya. You terped my henna. Prepare to dye!
    Pic by Renarok