Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yak Combs

Length
    na/44/na
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Yak Combs

I have both horn and bone combs as well as a japanese boxwood one.

The bone comb from hairsense (actually a bakelite detangler rake) is my favorite and works better than anything else I have. I also bought the wide-tooth detangler for post-cassia cleanup but I never use it. They feel brittle, but mine has been dropped in the shower many times and is still in perfect shape. They look a little crude in person but mine came perfectly smooth and ready to use.

I use the boxwood comb for tsubaki (camellia) oil and that only comes out once every few weeks. The horn combs can't stay wet for any length of time or they can delaminate (or rot if they're forgotten in a wet place). Mine are all pretty, but nowhere near as practical as the bakelite 'bone' combs. They sit unused, even DH prefers the bone comb.

FWIW.

Queen of Apathy HairColoredHair's Avatar
    Length
    short/knee/???
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Yak Combs

Quote Originally Posted by rapunzhell13 View Post
    Where did you get yours? Did they come seam-free or did you have to sand them down or anything? I am a horn comb n00b.
    Mine are both from Heavenly Harvest. One was completely perfect on arrival, one had a slightly sharper point to the tines, but has become perfect. I oil mine when I get them and then my hair tends to keep them in condition.
    Fav Products: Honey and Horn Combs! Current Length: Just above knee (a 'little' trim)
    Goal: Uh... Moo!