Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Yak Combs

  1. #1
    Member Purdy Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    London UK
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,675

    Default Yak Combs

    I found a lot of Yak combs on Ebay, made from their horn. Are they any good?

    Does anyone know how they are made? I wouldnt like to get one if the animals suffer (ie like the Rhino) in any way.

    Much Thanks
    Purdy

  2. #2
    Growing by Benign Neglect In2wishin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,093
    Length
    15/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

    Default Re: Yak Combs

    Quote Originally Posted by Purdy Bear View Post
    I found a lot of Yak combs on Ebay, made from their horn. Are they any good?

    Does anyone know how they are made? I wouldnt like to get one if the animals suffer (ie like the Rhino) in any way.

    Much Thanks
    Purdy
    Purdy,
    Think of Yaks like cows that live in high altitudes. They are raised as beasts of burden but also for their meat, milk, hair, skin (leather), and every other part that can be used, including the horns. Yak Horn is a byproduct of a "farmed" animal so you can use it without guilt unless you are personally against killing animals for use.

    As to whether or not they are good....I was wondering that myself since I am trying to get away from plastic combs.

  3. #3
    Queen of Apathy HairColoredHair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,834
    Length
    short/knee/???
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

    Default Re: Yak Combs

    I love my horn combs. They've really eliminated most of my static and mine are smooth and nice to use.
    Fav Products: Honey and Horn Combs! Current Length: Just above knee (a 'little' trim)
    Goal: Uh... Moo!

  4. #4
    In Narnia. BRB. Heavenly Locks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Yokosuka, Japan
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,243
    Length
    22/37/34 +
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

    Default Re: Yak Combs

    Quote Originally Posted by HairColoredHair View Post
    I love my horn combs. They've really eliminated most of my static and mine are smooth and nice to use.
    What she said!

    The hair is the richest ornament of women.~Martin Luther Avatar photo Oct 2008, Signature Sept. 2011

  5. #5
    Member Purdy Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    London UK
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,675

    Default Re: Yak Combs

    Thanks I feel a lot better getting one now. I just need the hair to go with it! LOL!

  6. #6
    Cat in a Human Disguise rapunzhell13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Black Lagoon
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,118
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

    Default Re: Yak Combs

    Quote Originally Posted by HairColoredHair View Post
    I love my horn combs. They've really eliminated most of my static and mine are smooth and nice to use.
    Where did you get yours? Did they come seam-free or did you have to sand them down or anything? I am a horn comb n00b.


  7. #7
    In Narnia. BRB. Heavenly Locks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Yokosuka, Japan
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,243
    Length
    22/37/34 +
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

    Default Re: Yak Combs

    Quote Originally Posted by rapunzhell13 View Post
    Where did you get yours? Did they come seam-free or did you have to sand them down or anything? I am a horn comb n00b.
    I got my horn comb from TSTSNBN (the site that shall not be named) BUT I hear that the Heavenly Harvest ones are just as nice.

    I did not have to sand mine at all, it came beautifully smooth. Most of the photos of horn combs I see are very similar in smoothness. Including the ones on ebay and the ones by quecraft. Although, it looks like quecraft's shop doesn't have anything listed there now. I saw a very nice horn comb by them for 5 dollars!

    HTH.

    PS. TSTSNBN is such because they contacted LCH and were upset with some of the reviews they were getting from us here and now we don't speak negatively, nicely or at all about them!

    The hair is the richest ornament of women.~Martin Luther Avatar photo Oct 2008, Signature Sept. 2011

  8. #8
    Member GuinevereMay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Riding the Eastern Wind on my broomstick
    Age
    32
    Posts
    630
    Length
    SL/40"/??
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

    Default Re: Yak Combs

    I get mine from qllp2000 on Ebay. I love their combs. So smooth. I own several different kinds of horn combs and those are my favorite.

  9. #9
    Cat in a Human Disguise rapunzhell13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Black Lagoon
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,118
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

    Default Re: Yak Combs

    Quote Originally Posted by Heavenly Locks View Post
    I got my horn comb from TSTSNBN (the site that shall not be named) BUT I hear that the Heavenly Harvest ones are just as nice.

    I did not have to sand mine at all, it came beautifully smooth. Most of the photos of horn combs I see are very similar in smoothness. Including the ones on ebay and the ones by quecraft. Although, it looks like quecraft's shop doesn't have anything listed there now. I saw a very nice horn comb by them for 5 dollars!

    HTH.

    PS. TSTSNBN is such because they contacted LCH and were upset with some of the reviews they were getting from us here and now we don't speak negatively, nicely or at all about them!
    Thanks for replying. These things get me so curious! Would it be permissable to PM me the name of the company? Although by the sounds of it I'm not sure it's a company I'd like to support. Checking out Heavenly Harvest as we speak...


  10. #10
    Member deviantkitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Army base in Germany
    Age
    32
    Posts
    558
    Length
    33/33/class
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

    Default Re: Yak Combs

    I got mine off eBay as well. I use my Bath and Body wooden comb for detangling, and the horn comb has tines that are closer together for smoothing and for my scalp. I looooove it! Mine has a raw horn edge as well. It looks very organic, and awesome. It was very seamless, so i did not have to do any sanding or altering. I switched to combing only, but was missing that lovely/weird scalp scritching I got from brushing, so I got a horn comb, and it feels soooo gooood on my scalp! And it smooths styles and distributes oils just as well as my brush did.
    Lady Grainne
    Handmaiden to the Goddess Morrigan
    In the Order of the Long Haired Nights

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •