Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: breakup haircuts

Length
    shldr/tlbn/fgrtp
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Default Re: breakup haircuts

I haven't had a break up hair cut, but I did chop off my hair after my grandpa died. I didn't even go the barber, I just had my aunt cut off from waist to APL.
    Even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like day. Search me, God, and know my heart...And lead me in the way everlasting. -Psalm 139

Account Closed by Member Request

I've cut my hair after breakups to cut out the memories. Hair grows out of your head (mind) so it carries all the memories with it. When you hack it off, you only have the newest ones and those will be trimmed off till the person is gone forever.

Length
    36/42/42+
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I cut a fringe into my hair shortly before breaking up with my ex fiancé. It was during the time I was finding myself and realising he was a total jerk. So the hair changed, then not long after I'd moved out and taken the furniture with me. So kinda similar to a break up haircut. It's a new image for a new phase of life I guess.
    On the long journey past Classic length onto Knee length and happy hair....
    Heat free | La Riche Directions for Colour

Length
    17"/tb/term
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I cut my hair (in a few quick phases) during a really stressful time in my life, around 2007. I had a lot going on and felt that I didn't have control over a lot of it. Looking back, I think it was the control thing that gave me the idea to cut it, though I didn't really realize that at the time. I cut it in two (or three?) large chops from below BSL to chin length and then started growing it out again after a short maintaining period.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    shldr/shldr/shldr

A breakup has never caused me to cut my hair or change anything else about my appearance.

Length
    Chin/APL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii/iii

I've done it with job changes, part of wanting a 'fresh start' from company to company. I think its a visible sign of moving on for me, this crazy impulse to dye, cut or perm my hair so i look 'different', that i'm not the same as i was when i was miserable. See...not miserable now, i have purple permed hair! hehehehe

If only i didn't have to maintain a professional air, i'd have big chunky streaks of dark purple in my normal brunette with grey .
    "My religion is kindness." --the Dalai Lama

Lady Neaera of the Sunlit Skies in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    19/21/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I didn't do anything to my hair after the first boyfriend broke up with me. After the second I had it professionally highlighted and dyed red (I had dyed it black for him and hated it, after we broke up I really needed that memory of him gone). I was let go from my job in January and cut my past-BSL hair up to nearly shoulder-length to get rid of most of the black dye that was left over. Losing that job really felt like a breakup, for some reason.

Banned
    Type
    1a/C/iii

I don't do haircuts. I treasure my hard earned length too much to ever cut my hair shorter.

I do however do an all over complete color change. Or I go back and forth between cutting in long, side swept bangs and then growing them out again. And it doesn't even have to be because of a bad event in my life, actually lately I've been on a happy, positive streak. I'm discovering myself, and with each new quirk I find out about myself I feel like I want to visibly display that. And what better canvas to display that than my own hair!

Type
    2a/M/iii

I've never cut my hair, but my highschool boyfriend cut his (gorgeous, past-shoulder length, straight brown) hair after we broke up. Not only did he cut it, he shaved it to create a mini mohawk. It was heartbreaking all over again. I LOVED his hair, and him cutting it was like a slap in the face. We were in the same 5-person German class and I couldn't look at him for a month, which made class a bit difficult.
    I guess he did the same thing all of you are talking about - changing something to get a fresh start, separating himself from his memories of me, rebelling against my love of his hair - all I know is that it hurt more than anything to see him afterwards. I would never do that to someone else...but I'd never cut my hair, so it's a moot point.

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Every man I've ever known with very few exceptions has thought he was perfect anyway. Men seem to have healthier self esteem than women.
    ... or are more out of touch with reality

To answer your question, I never have had a big haircut in response to a breakup. I was tempted to chop to pixie when I found out that a boy I was quite enamored with did not reciprocate my feelings. I remember thinking that, well I don't have to worry about being attractive to him anymore, so I can do whatever I like. A sadder spin on the independence-chop.