Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning Cream

fightin' in satin tights Kuchen's Avatar
    Length
    18/27/34
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Default Re: Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning Cream

I just made some, having remembered that this stuff was pretty good. I think it might be the thing that saves my hair from the Berlin winter and water.

Length
    Short/27"/34"
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Just found this recipe from another thread so made some up today as I've been looking for a good leave-in. I was very hesitant, though, since straight shea makes my hair look terrible (crunchy and sticky).

I made it using teaspoons (2 shea, 1 coconut, 2 no-cone condish) and it turned out fine in a hot water bath to melt the shea/coconut.

After CO and a catnip rinse, I divided my hair into two sections - put the leave-in on both sides, then Boots Curling Cream on one section over the leave-in. I over applied, unfortunately, but decided to blow dry to speed up dry time (on low and cool). Once I started, I opted to use my straightening brush and found that my hair easily blew out. This was a pretty cool development because I normally have a really hard time getting my hair to behave when drying. Without some sort of thermal protector (generally hate them as they build up), my hair is always frizzy when styling but not this time.

I will be using less (3 finger dots per side vs. the 3 finger dots twice applied) whether I air or blow dry from now on. Oh, for the over oiliness, I used a natural cornstarch powder that I have and it fixed it right up perfectly.

Length goal - 32" (waist) by July 2009

Length
    13/hip/?
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

This stuff is the best hair stuff I've ever tried. I used the proportions in the OP and used Kiss My Face Whenever for the conditioner part.

My dry ends love it. It soaks in without being greasy at all. I think the biggest problem is going to be not going through it so quickly!

I might even try it with AO Honeysuckle Rose - I don't think it'll mold if I use it all up first!

A leave-in I can use on DRY HAIR!!! This is seriously the one thing I'd missed since giving up the cones. It soaks in so much better than plain oil, too. Coconut is my favorite of the hair oils, and even that alone isn't as nice as this blend!

Type
    1b/C/iii

I love this recipe. I use unrefined sheabutter with sweet almond oil, "apricotkern oil" or coconut oil and several hair conditioners.

Length
    nape/BSL/BCL?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

i went with the basic recipe, using "ion conditioning miracle packet" from sally's as the conditioner (i love how it smells and it's mostly herbal), but i also added 1/2 part honey.

my hair really likes it! but i have only used it in heavy doses overnight and washed in the morning (or next day). my hair so far refuses to absorb oil in any quantity--plus the honey makes it sticky--so i don't use it as a leave-in like many others do.
    i wish i had used olaplex BEFORE i bleached. sigh.

...henna will be my friend again someday

Daughter of the King WritingPrincess's Avatar
    South of the cheese, not quite out of the corn.
    Length
    SL/41"/Knee
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Where do I find shea butter or cocoa butter?
    "Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more."
    ~ John 8:11

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by WritingPrincess View Post
    Where do I find shea butter or cocoa butter?

I order my shea from here and it's always top notch stuff The Frank & Myrrh is my favorite, though the lavender chamomile smells heavenly too. I THINK they carry cocoa butter as well.

I've seem both at my local Hippie Mart as well, but the shea isn't nearly comparable in quality.

Length
    APL/BSL/tlb
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Mountain Rose Herbs is also another source for good quality shea butter and cocoa butter. The stuff at my supplement store did not compare to what I got from MRH.

Length
    Pixie/TBL/Fins
    Type
    2b/M/iii

I couldn't find Shea butter around here and I can't justify spending some on the internet right now. After my vacation or if I get some "because I love you" money from my mom, I will order some if this works.

I made the same recipe on the front page but with cocoa butter and not shea. I used cone-free moisturizing conditioner from VO5 with strawberries scent and milk in it, and coconut oil. It is taking a lot I have not to taste it because it smells so good.

Can't wait to try this tonight!

Length
    26.5"/46.5"/...."
    Type
    2a/2b/C/ii/iii

uk shea butter and oil link
    just ordered some and will trail it out.