Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can my Terminal Length be this short? Help!

Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Default Can my Terminal Length be this short? Help!

Hello!

I'm new here..I've got BSL-ish 3A/B hair. I''ve been growing it out since last July 2009 with some trims for bad split ends and It seems as though my hair isn't growing! I've had about 2 inches of growth since July and I'm starting to wonder if something is wrong. I'd like to eventually get my hair down to mid-back but I need to grow out all of my layers and go from a V hemline to a very soft U bluntish hemline. I assumed this would only take about a year. I was clearly very wrong.
    I'm a vegetarian, but I eat fish and eggs. I take folic acid and b12 vitamins. I regularly deep condition and oil my hair so it's not like I'm not taking care of my hair. help!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Can my Terminal Length be this short? Help!

I'm sorry to tell you, but it can be, yes. Years ago I had a roommate whose hair never grew past BSL. She didn't abuse it, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't breaking off on the ends, and she didn't get it trimmed very often, either. She wanted to grow it out very long, but it didn't work out for her. I was in contact with her for 8 years, and her hair stayed the same length.

Length
    bob/WL+/WL+
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

Maybe. But some people have very slow-growing hair. Are you taking any vitamins?

I am a vegetarian, too. Actually I am almost vegan. My hair only grew 1/4" in March, but that is not typical for me. I am hoping for better growth once the weather improves. I personally do not think 10 or so months is long enough to really give yourself a shot at growing looooong hair. Don't get too discouraged and maybe get some hair vitamins, MSM, and biotin.
    January 2012

Type
    3b/F/M/ii

I've grown my hair out to waist before.. maybe I'm just impatient
    I'm taking folic acid and b12 vitamins..I'm starting to wonder if the climate here (maritime canada) is not so great for hair growth, especially in winter..we dont get much sun, or heat until june.

thanks for the replies!

Account Closed by Member Request

I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian. I take vitamins and get my protein from beans, eggs, some nuts, and soy. My hair is growing well. Are you eating enough protein?

Length
    waist/knee/knee
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/iii

I agree with Speckla. Are you getting enough protein? Hair is mostly made of protein, so not getting enough would inhibit hair growth. If you are having issues with getting enough protein, you could always try buying egg protein powder. Egg protein should only be made of egg and will not contain milk (if you are not a dairy drinker). Putting a spoonful or two in a fruit smoothie is delicious.

Also, you should check that you are also getting some sunshine and exercise daily. I find that my hair grows faster when I'm being more physically active.

Also, I see that you are typed as 3b? Are you measuring your hair when it is pulled straight, or when it is curly? Curly hair is notorious for taking much much longer than straighter hair in reaching observable goal lengths.

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

BSL is a very hard length to pass. I think I've been BSL for nearly a year! (at least it feels that way).

You're in the no man's land of your back, so small changes aren't very noticeable, and BSL is very damaging. Unless you wear your hair up all the time, it's getting pretty beat up. I know that's my problem because I enjoy having my hair down and know what kind of havoc is being wreaked.

It's really just time to put it up and ignore it, then one day you will see it change. It is possible it's your terminal length, but I feel that's unlikely and probably very rare for people to not be able to grow longer than that.

Length
    fried/WL35/48-tm
    Type
    1b/M/i/ii

If it is at terminal length, I feel you. Sometimes I wonder if this (or maybe another 2") might be it for me, too.
    Any time is a good time for coffee time!
    ++++++.++++++.++++++

Length
    ??/TB/40"
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by LilyLu View Post
    I've grown my hair out to waist before.. maybe I'm just impatient
    I'm taking folic acid and b12 vitamins..I'm starting to wonder if the climate here (maritime canada) is not so great for hair growth, especially in winter..we dont get much sun, or heat until june.

thanks for the replies!
    Interesting. I'm in Dartmouth, NS right now.

My hair is growing painfully slow right now. If you've grown it to waist before, you're probably safe.
    )°•.Lady Elenwë of the Shining Stars in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!.°(

Length
    APL/WL/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

Maybe you could try to NOT trim your hair at ALL and intake more protein. Also, what was the longest your hair has ever been?