View Poll Results: Which mix do you think would look best?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • All cassia

12 11.76%
  • 20 parts cassia to 1 part henna

6 5.88%
  • 2/3 cassia to 1/3 henna

25 24.51%
  • 1/2 henna and 1/2 cassia

14 13.73%
  • 2/3 henna to 1/3 cassia

22 21.57%
  • All henna

23 22.55%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me choose a henna mix! (Photos)

Length
    28"/35.7"/45"
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Post Help me choose a henna mix! (Photos)

So I spent most of the summer in Delhi, India and brought a lot of Indian herbs home with me, including henna and cassia. After reading about the benefits of both henna and cassia, I became quite interested in trying them. It's just a matter of choosing how red I want to go.

I collected hair from my brush and made test strips. For each sample, I mixed the powders, added enough lime juice to create a thick paste and allowed the mixtures to sit at room temperature for about 20 hours. The hair strips then sat in the pastes for about 4 hours. I've also let them rest for a couple of days to allow for oxidation.

I really like the rich red color and softness that was achieved using all henna, but knowing that henna is permanent, I might feel more confident with some feedback before going all the way!

Also, if I were to choose one of the redder mixes, would it continue to get darker with following full-head applications? What is the best way to go about doing root touch-ups?

On a side note, I have green eyes and my wardrobe consists of earth tones - browns, olive greens, burnt oranges, earthy reds, and a lot of black (mostly skirts and pants). I also sometimes wear plums, neutral blues and turquoises. For eye-makeup, I generally wear browns, coppers, greens and sometimes purple.

First of all, here is a photo of my length and natural hair colour. For those of you who have applied henna or cassia before, looking at my length, would I need 500g, like the Mehandi site recommends, or would less be sufficient? Also, are they recommending 500g of just powder or 500g of powder and liquid?

Here are the test strips in direct sunlight.

And here, indoors, with sunlight coming through a window. The strip of hair at the bottom is my natural colour.

And here are the test strips against my hair, the samples follow the same order as above. The left photo was taken with the sun behind me and the right photo with the sun in front of me.

Length
    29"/35/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Help me choose a henna mix! (Photos)

I love the colour of the pure henna, but for you I think the 2/3 henna 1/3 cassia would look great.
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

Length
    SL/HIP/CLSC
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty89 View Post
    I love the colour of the pure henna, but for you I think the 2/3 henna 1/3 cassia would look great.
    agreed! though I accidently voted for 2/3 cassia and 1/3 henna I meant the other way around! lol

Lady Ardwinna of the Blessed Soil in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    24/24/38
    Type
    2b/C/iii

I love the colour of the full henna

I like both the 2/3 henna and the full but think starting with the 2/3 henna might be good because you can always do more if you want.

Also the henna will get dark with each full head app... if you like your color i would say stick roots only touch up with a henna gloss everyone once in a blue moon..

Post pictures when your done!

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Yes, I would stick more to the Cassia end of it at first. The color will build up eventually and that will give you some leaway. BTW - Your natural color is beautiful just a nice Cassia gloss with a touch of henna would probably do the trick.
    All Shall Be Well,
    And All Shall Be Well,
    And All Manner of Things Shall Be Well.

Length
    20"/24"/30"
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I also love the colour of pure henna.

I voted for 2/3 henna & 1/3 cassia though as it's probably best to start off a little lighter as you can always go darker later. I think red hair will suit your colouring really well.

Good luck

Length
    22/29/42
    Type
    2a/M/ii

First let me say: You are sooo cute!!!

Second: I vote 2/3 henna and 1/3 cassia.

Lady Temperance, Keeper of the Border between Night and Day in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    3/16/40
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I love the all henna colour, but I'd say start with some cassia, too, because you can always change to all henna later on. But you can't take the henna out... I voted 2/3 henna, 1/3 cassia I think. And then if you really like it as a full head thing, you can add more henna, or do all henna the next time.

I would say less than 500g. I haven't personally use BAQ henna (only LUSH). I have asked here how much to use (my hair is not far off of yours in thickness and length) and most people with the same amount of hair said they used about 200-300g. As far as my calculations went with the LUSH, I was using just over 200g for my hair.

It will get darker the more you apply it. Personally, I don't do root touch ups, I just do my whole head. It's good for my hair, makes it feel great, helps with split ends so I don't worry much about doing my whole head. Usually every 3 or 4 months I do a henna session. When I did it last, I didn't have much LUSH henna left so I did a henna gloss which helped blend my roots. They didn't exactly match my length obviously, but my roots didn't stick out so much.

I hope that answered most of what you wanted to know. I'm hoping to do another henna tomorrow (with Henna Sooq stuff, first time using BAQ stuff! Very excited!). Make sure you take pictures afterwards to show us all.

Type
    4a/F/M/ii/iii

I vote for the 3rd mix: 2/3rds cassia and 1/3rd henna. Just a hint of color and you could always go darker later. Mind you, this is coming from someone who usually dyes their hair by only 1/2 shade, just in case . But still- it's permanent and if you're not sure you might as well be conservative. Good luck- it'll be gorgeous no matter which one you choose.