Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about a coconut oil soak/treatment

Question Questions about a coconut oil soak/treatment

I've searched the forums, picked though posts on this subject as well as read the articles, I'm sure these particular questions have been covered at some point but I'm unable to locate the answers

I've read about doing an oiling treatment with coconut oil (leave in for a few hours as opposed to just adding some to leave in for the day after a shower.) But I need some specifics which elude me.

If you're going to treat your hair with coconut oil do you wash your hair first before you do it or do you want your natural hair oils on your hair as well? If you're supposed to wash first, do you use shampoo? (I'm doing CO for the last month so I don't even use shampoo.) Or if no shampoo a CWC, just CW? Or do I leave it naturally oily and add coconut oil to that? If I don't need to condition or shampoo first, should my hair be wet or dry when adding the coconut oil?

Also, how long should you leave coconut oil in? Is there no time limit? I don't plan on sleeping with it in but I could put it on at the start of the day and wash it out at a later time.

And finally, when you rinse it out, do you want to make sure it's all rinsed out or leave some? Do you use conditioner after? Or are there no "rules" in this area and you do whatever your hair feels like it needs?

I appreciate any answers or links to answers that I receive in this matter, thank you!

Length
    0 ''/26.5"/.....

Default Re: Questions about a coconut oil soak/treatment

When my husband and I honeymooned in Kauai some 10 years ago, I was talking with this couple who both had really long hair. They said they put the coconut oil in their hair and left it in being as they were both surfers. They didn't say what they did on days they didn't surf.

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Lately I've been doing deep oilings while working out. Mainly because it's convenient. My hair will be pulled back into a bun the whole time and my hair will get plastered with sweat pretty quick anyway, so what difference does being plastered down with oil make?

I do a pretty heavy oiling with coconut oil when I do this. My hair will look wet. Then I shove it up into a bun with a hairtie and go exercise. When I'm done I need a shower anyway, so I shampoo it out. It seems to leave my ends softer than normal which is kinda nice.

Length
    0 ''/26.5"/.....

Well, that's a great idea! How often do you exercize? I try to exercize ever day... would that be too much?

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I don't wash my hair before doing a heavy oiling, so it would be a combination of my natural sebum near the scalp and coconut oil over the rest. I can almost always wash it out with a diluted shampoo. If I notice absolutely no lather the first time, I will repeat. This usually isn't necessary.

You should leave the oil in at least one hour to give it a chance to soak in as much as possible.

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by merseaone View Post
    Well, that's a great idea! How often do you exercize? I try to exercize ever day... would that be too much?
    I exercise a few times a week, but I probably only do a deep oiling 1-2 times a month. I suppose you could do it everyday... but it seems a little overkill.

Length
    bsl/waist/??
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

I don't shampoo before oiling.

I do a heavy oiling about once a week before a wash. Its a great way to detangle for me. I oil, and take a comb and very carefully comb my hair. Gets the tangles out, and spreads the oil. Then I braid or bun, and wash my hair at my earliest convenience.

Length
    22/28/waist
    Type
    2a/M/iii

I apply it dry...leave it in for at least an hour (usually more, like when I'm being lazy around the house) and wash it out with conditioner. I don't have as much luck using shampoo to remove the oil.
    Lady Elphaba, The Wicked Witch of the West in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    35 in/39 in/43 in
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

alright, I'm not expert on this but I do use coconut oil from time to time. For starters I would recommend using a cold-pressed, unrefined organic coconut oil. I have this large jar of Nutivia, purchased off amazon.com:
    http://www.amazon.com/Nutiva-Organic...0114596&sr=8-1

Prior to this I had used coconut oil in England (Superdrug brand) which was refined and did not even smell like real coconut oil. Trying the real pure stuff made all the difference to me and my hair I should also add that they do have smaller sizes of Nutivia coconut oil on amazon. If you do purchase the large jar keep it refrigerated and just keep a smaller amount in a small jar at room temperature (this way you can avoid it going off). Coconut oil is very stiff and hard when cold but when kept at room temperature it is easy to apply by rubbing your hands... it practically melts in your hands. I wanted to make sure I use unrefined oils as I have heard refined oils can possibly lighten hair and I don't want that.

Ok, as far as how to use it I sometimes do heavy overnight oilings with it or I mix it with other oils over night (Ojon, sweet almond, jojoba, Nightshades hair and scalp oil). In the morning I use a little bit of shampoo and a lot of clarifying Suave conditioner and it will usually all come out OK.

Recently, I have started to think that oiling should be done AFTER a deep moisturizing treatment. I am feeling this way because, to the best of my knowledge, oils in general do not ADD moisture to the hair but rather seal in moisture. I could be wrong on this though so someone please correct me if I am. Going on this assumption I have been trying to use the oil following a deep treatment or sometimes I mix in some coconut oil to my deep treatment. I'm just one person with one opinion though... I could have it all wrong

Oh, regarding the surfers using coconut oil in their hair that would make a lot of sense to me as from my research of trying to find ways to protect my hair from pools or ocean water I have heard people say oiling it can help to keep the bad stuff from getting in (makes sense to me especially if it is true that the oil seals things in). Therefore, oiling their hair would help keep the damage the harsh saltwater to a minimum as their hair would have a protective seal on it so to speak.

Hope this helps!

Lady Arduinna, Keeper of the North Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    35 in/39 in/43 in
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Mary View Post
    If I don't need to condition or shampoo first, should my hair be wet or dry when adding the coconut oil?
    mine works better when I apply it damp (and I usually do so after a conditioning treatment)

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Mary View Post
    when you rinse it out, do you want to make sure it's all rinsed out or leave some? Do you use conditioner after? Or are there no "rules" in this area and you do whatever your hair feels like it needs?
    I have to make sure it's all rinsed out or else my hair looks very piecey, greasy, and dirty. I use a natural shampoo (as little as possible) such as JASON Jojoba shampoo or Aubrey Organics or sometimes I just use a little bit of cheap Suave shampoo. However, I try to rinse it out mainly with Suave Clarifying conditioner.

Also, I tend to see more hair loss in the shower drain when I do this (even though I try to be gentle).

Lady Arduinna, Keeper of the North Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!