Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Me Find a 'Do for My Wedding?

Length
    buzz/33"/37"
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Help Me Find a 'Do for My Wedding?

I'm getting married in three months. I haven't figured out what to do with my hair for the wedding. I stumbled across LHC originally looking for updo instructions that would work for long hair The forums and various instructional pages and videos linked to have been very helpful, and I've since learned to A)put up a bun with bobby pins, and B) Dutch braid my own hair, neither of which I knew how to do before! Still, my skill level and volume of hair are not equal to some of the cooler styles I've found here. How do y'all dress your hair up for special occasions? Any tips for managing updos with fine 1a/1b hair that sheds barrettes and clips as soon as they're put in?

I may or may not wear a veil. The only major requirement for my hair is that it can't be piled on top of my head, because in part of the ceremony, the priest is going to take crowns on and off of our heads a few times.

Here's what my hair looks like after a wash, air-dried, and then combed (i.e. waist length, no curl):

And here's my little standard bun which is how I usually wear it:

What can I do with this that would look wedding-ish? I'd love to put a comb or pin in it with kanzashi flowers (look it up in etsy, they're really cute!) but haven't the foggiest Idea how to do that. It doesn't even really need to be an updo, just something I don't do with it every day. Suggestions?
    Last edited by Aunteater; June 26th, 2009 at 06:00 PM.

Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Default Re: Help Me Find a 'Do for My Wedding?

Hmm...

Perhaps your standard bun, held with pins rather than claw-clips (so the tools are not visable), and then get some white rosebuds, and arrange them in a row/semicircle so they are nested behind/above the top of your bun? Either fresh rosebuds or good quality silk ones.
    I am opting out of the "Friends" system. All requests will be declined.
    Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice
    Ezekiel 23:20

Length
    10 in/35 in/47in
    Type
    1b/M/C/iii

How are your braiding or french twisting skills? Are you going for a fairytale wedding or modern?

My Etsy shop!

Length
    SL/HIP/CLSC
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Twist buns are also very pretty and you could use decorative pins to hold and add a little sparkle or decoration to the bun... I am also a big fan of twist/fans..

Lady Ardwinna of the Blessed Soil in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Since you mentioned that you can now Dutch braid - I do something I call a "Dutch braid base braided bun."

You do a single dutch braid, with a fairly short "Dutch" section, and wrap the length of the braid around the dutch-braid base, and pin. This creates a bun that looks as if it is elaborately braided/woven, and is very, very stable.

You might try this, and dress it up, as I mentioned before, with flowers.
    I am opting out of the "Friends" system. All requests will be declined.
    Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice
    Ezekiel 23:20

Length
    SL/HIP/CLSC
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

oops forgot to link the twist bun lol, this pic only a section of the hair is done but you get the idea.

I vote for a Gibson Tuck--where you make a nape ponytail, open up a 'pocket' in the hair, and flip the ends into it. (There's a way better description of it around here somewhere). It makes a flattering shape, low on the neck, is soft and romantic, and has automatic 'insert cool hairtoy here' space--you could either use a glittery barrette over the top or insert some satin flowers or something.

If your hair is too long to stay in the pocket (it may be), pull it all the way through (like a topsy-tail) and then braid, and retuck. I think Torrin Paige has a style like this on her YouTube channel, except she does three braids. You could show off your Mad Braidin' Skillz that way!

HK

Length
    buzz/33"/37"
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Thanks for all the ideas! That gives me stuff to experiment with, anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherry_Sprinkle View Post
    oops forgot to link the twist bun lol, this pic only a section of the hair is done but you get the idea.
    That is pretty wild looking! I don't know if I can do that, but it might be fun to try...

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    Perhaps your standard bun, held with pins rather than claw-clips (so the tools are not visable), and then get some white rosebuds, and arrange them in a row/semicircle so they are nested behind/above the top of your bun? Either fresh rosebuds or good quality silk ones.
    I could totally do that! Maybe I can try that out this weekend and see how it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia1013 View Post
    How are your braiding or french twisting skills? Are you going for a fairytale wedding or modern?
    I can manage a dutch braid creditably, and regular english braids are easy. I have not yet attempted a french twist. Wedding will be small and as simple as we can make it. I'm sewing my own dress, so that won't be anything complicated A fairly simple hairdo would probably suit best.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    Since you mentioned that you can now Dutch braid - I do something I call a "Dutch braid base braided bun."

You do a single dutch braid, with a fairly short "Dutch" section, and wrap the length of the braid around the dutch-braid base, and pin. This creates a bun that looks as if it is elaborately braided/woven, and is very, very stable.

You might try this, and dress it up, as I mentioned before, with flowers.
    I think I understand that. I'm wearing something similar now, where I've dutch-braided my hair and then pulled the end up, tucked it into the top of the braid at my crown, and pinned it there. I will work with that, take some pictures, and see how it looks.

Length
    SL/HIP/CLSC
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Aunteater View Post
    That is pretty wild looking! I don't know if I can do that, but it might be fun to try...
    It's really quite easy.. ponytail your hair, then separate it off in small sections and twist like a rope braid and continue to twist until it folds up all into itself and pin the ends voila! You'd have a lot of pins but it is also a good hair-do for making it look like you have more hair than you actually do also cause it can cover quite a large area of head.. (I need all the help I can get with that! lol)

Length
    buzz/33"/37"
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by hellkitty View Post
    I vote for a Gibson Tuck....If your hair is too long to stay in the pocket (it may be), pull it all the way through (like a topsy-tail) and then braid, and retuck. I think Torrin Paige has a style like this on her YouTube channel, except she does three braids. You could show off your Mad Braidin' Skillz that way!

HK
    Lightbulb! I have tried the Gibson thing with the three braids before, and it just didn't look right. But pulling it through once first and then braiding it... that just might work. (adds to my things-to-try list)