Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: CinnamonCurls "Vortex" bun tutorial and videos

Length
    ??/39"/term.
    Type
    3a/3b/C/iii

Default CinnamonCurls "Vortex" bun tutorial and videos

Sooo, I got some photos take of my "basic" ballet bun, and did a few videos (which I CANNOT get to upload for the life of me, and yes I have to admit, I've never uploaded video before)

Anyways, I am curious if this style already has a nice name....the only ones I can think of would be "Cinnamany" or "Cinnamon swirl" or something since it doesn't use only one strand to create...Well, thing is this was my BASIC ballet bun, since my hair was SO thick. In ballet you want your bun to kinda extend the lines of your shoulders, neck and head, so a huge door knob or what you guys call Bee butt bun is a MASSIVE NO NO....Cinnabuns are prefered, and I took it a few steps beyond them to flatten out my hair even more...These photos are technically too low of a bun to please my old Artistic Director, he wanted the pony right at the apex of the crown, and 50% of hair n the back of the head, and 50% on the top...I used to even RUN OUT of scalp hair in the back when my hair was really long...

Here is a 3 strand...

And here is 4 strand....

And the 4 veiwed from the side....you can see how it is MUCH too low for my old AD's ballet standards, as it doesn't follow the lines of my head, or neck, or shoulders! (Well, you all probably think it looks fantastic, and it does look good, but depending on the dance style, a lower or much higher bun is needed, based on the lines the AD wants to see...)(*gasp* I hope none of my old ballet mates see this bad bun....I was sooo tired that night!!), but you can see how it's not a huge LUMP coming off the head and destroying the lines of your shoulders and neck...

I am hoping someone KNOWS the name of this multistranded Cinnabun bun, or can help me come up with a less pathetic name for it if it is technically un-named. All I know is I'd rotate between 2, 3, 4, and 5 strands cinnabun for an average work day, depending on how much time I had to get ready, or how much attention I wanted on my hair, etc....

I have a rather nice video tutorial on the 4 strand, but I cannot upload it!!! Anywhere!!

I would be willing to write out the instructions (there is a special way to tuck in the tails, so there is ONLY ONE tail to actually tuck in, etc, and if you have highly tapered hair, you have to VERY careful as it can end up massively off center)

- So please either post here with what it is already named...
    - or please help me find a less pathetic name if it is indeed "unnamed"...again my lame ideas are "Cinnamany" or something like "CinnamonSwirls"
    - or please help me figure out how to upload my video...
    - or be somewhat patient for the instructions as to how to tuck ALL the tails, and such...

In my "non hair" photo albumn, the one with me bending over and pretending to be tying my pointe shoes, with the special Snow Flake tutu, you can see this bun, sorta, but it is much thicker (standing out from my head) than it should be, so I probably only did a 2 strand, which makes it much smaller in diameter, but much thicker, as in how much it protrudes from your head....If I really wanted a gorgeous streamlined bun for certain choreography being performed that night I'd do a 5, 6, or 7 strand so it just barely protruded from my head....however with this many strands it is a SERIOUS case of "bun eating woman's head" as I usually ran out of hair at the nape of my neck to continue pinning. So it's UTTERLY important to put the pony tail RIGHT at the apex of the crown, not on the top, and not on the back if you have lots of hair.....those of you with huge tapers will have to play with where the first coils are placed...as in I start mine with a 3 o'clock counter-clockwsie twist on the first one...you might have to begin the coil a 9 o'clock to help it not end up 60% on the right side of your head, and 40% on the left...then it's sooo obviously off center....

Oh, one last heads up...in my video, I used about 1/2 or 2/3rds of the pins I'd normally use for a REAL work day of pirrouette after pirrouette, and a few rounds of 32 fouettes, but it did hold rather nice for a non-ballet day, and I could even get the fork in the 3 strand additionally....but to estimate I used 50 or so hair pins, believe it or not...I've tried this without a hair elastic, and the 2 strand gets a bit funny, I can't figure out at all how to do a 3...since there are just SO many coils, there are SO many pins...(I've tried to make it with 10% of the pins, but then to slide in the fork makes it look like a flat tire, or a letter D due to the pressure of sliding in the fork changes all the coils shapes) but if you use the shorter pins, and place them perpendicular to the scalp hair, the "stack" doesn't hurt (if you're pinning at 12 o'clock, insert the pin at 12, but slide it towards 3 or 9, so it catches as much scalp hair as possible)

Oh, ONE more critique about my rather sleepy atttempt...you should NOT be able to see the hair elastic as you can in my 4 strand...but I was too tired the other night, so you can see my copper colored elastic....this is to be avoided unless you've got great matching elastics.
    Last edited by CinnamonCurls; June 10th, 2009 at 11:32 PM. Reason: grammar edits...too tired

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Help me name this updo/bun, or can someone tell me if it already has a name?

WOW! It's awesome looking. I would call it a hypno-bun (it's hypnotizing!) but I believe that name is already taken

ETA: It also looks like a giant lollipop!! Maybe a lolli-bun?

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: Help me name this updo/bun, or can someone tell me if it already has a name?

I can't see it. Is that because I'm under 25 posts?

Mad SCIENTIST!
    Length
    1/26.5/35
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Bonny619 View Post
    I can't see it. Is that because I'm under 25 posts?
    Possibly. It looks like the giant lollipop Manderly posted, but in nice shiny hair, stuck on the back of someone's head.

Length
    17/24/32
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

That is a beautiful bun! Maybe you could call it a pinwheel bun? But I also like lollypop bun

Length
    chin/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

@Bonny- yep, come back when you've chattered more- it's really pretty!

AFAIK it's not an official named style- I do rather like CinnamonSwirls.

A similar bun was my standard style the last time I had my hair long; I would usually only use 2 or 3 strands, as I didn't have an AD breathing down my neck. Splitting the hair up really makes a more graceful bun for us monster-haired types IMO.

I'm interested to see your video!

Length
    ??/39"/term.
    Type
    3a/3b/C/iii

Oooh, Manderly...."lollypop" does seem fun!...although technically it's just a really THIN Cinnabun, and it doens't show that it's a mulitple strand Cinnabun....but I do like the name!!! Sigh, Hypno-bun would really work, since those black and white circular images usually have many black and white stripes, all going into the center...I think based on the technique, and the look of a those black/white striped circle things, it's a perfect match....fooey someone took it!! (gunna go research what those black and white spiral circles are really called) Thanks for the great ideas!!

Thanks!!

Bonny, sorry you can't see it...maybe I can find a way to show you a link?

SpecialKitty - ooohhh, a pinwheel!! That is normally a toy/shape that has many spoke/curl type things, all twirled together to achieve the perfect effect, but it is made up of more than one piece....
    ....haha, reminds me of my old "bicycle spoke" bun that I thought was utterly cool, but everyone called it a "worm bun"!! I should attempt to recreate that one....I used it for YEARS until one year I saw a photo that someone had taken of the back of my head, and my reaction was, "whhhaaa, it looks like that??!?!?"...yeah, never did it again...but it might suit the cool and funky personalities of somepeople on here, as it really looks like a bicycle wheel and spokes, I thought it was fantastically cool until I saw a shot of me standing in the wings, waiting to go on stage, and I never did it after that night.

Length
    ??/39"/term.
    Type
    3a/3b/C/iii

Bonnie! I just made it as my avatar...you should see a TINY picture of it now!

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Oh thank you! It's beautiful and I love the color!

Type
    3a/F/ii

Oh yes I agree it looks like one of those giant lolly pops! Especially in the first picture, your hair toy accentuates it very nicely. It looks awesome, good work!