Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Floor length hair is dirty and gross"

Length
    17/22/30
    Type
    3a/M/ii

Default "Floor length hair is dirty and gross"

So, I was at my friend's house and we all had our laptops. One of my friends was looking at youtube videos, and came across a video of a girl with floor length hair. The first thing I heard was "ew". I looked at the screen, and I was overpowered by the length.. I definitely got jealous, whereas my other friends were making a bunch of comments about how gross it was that her hair was THAT long. To them, it's as disgusting as having 3 ft fingernails. Surely that girl doesn't walk down the street with her hair dragging behind her. She probably just let her hair down for the video, and plus, it's nice having your hair down every once in a while.

Hearing the COUNTLESS negative things that people say about long hair sometimes makes me wonder what I'm getting myself into.
    Lady Lirr of the Heart-Stirring Song in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    2c/3a/C/iii

When my aunt was younger she always kept her hair floor length +. She had literally at least 2 feet of hair that would drag on the floor behind her when she let it down. I remember being so awe struck the few times I'd get to see her hair down like that. It was rare for her to have it down, and when she did it was only at home right before bed, after she'd washed it, let it dry then combed it out. She'd usually braid it right back up again but occasionally she'd leave it loose while finishing up a few little things around her house before braiding it again and going to bed.

She keeps it about hip/tailbone length now though but still always has braided or in a braided bun except those rare times before bed. Even though it's lot shorter now it's always been stunningly beautiful.

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Gloss View Post

Hearing the COUNTLESS negative things that people say about long hair sometimes makes me wonder what I'm getting myself into.
    I'm not sure what you mean by that comment.

If you're not sure you're going to be able to handle the occasional "ews" at longer lengths, the constant badgering to donate your hair, and (heaven forbid!) criticism of your hair care routine (should you ever share it), are you sure long hair is for you?
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    17/22/30
    Type
    3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by akurah View Post

If you're not sure you're going to be able to handle the occasional "ews" at longer lengths, the constant badgering to donate your hair, and (heaven forbid!) criticism of your hair care routine (should you ever share it), are you sure long hair is for you?
    Hm, I definitely don't mind people putting things as bluntly as possible (honesty is love), but excess amounts are never a good thing for anyone. =) I used to love short hair, but a few years back I gained an appreciation and a longingness for long hair. We'll just have to wait and see how my tolerance of the negative comments goes, since my hair still is rather short in my eyes. =) I always focus on the good things, but the bad sometimes can be a bit triggering momentarily.
    Lady Lirr of the Heart-Stirring Song in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Last of the Brunnen-G kwaniesiam's Avatar
    Length
    bald/mop/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

I can totally relate, not a length issue for me however. Most people see dreadlocks and automatically assume dirty, doesn't wash their hair, or into drugs. I wash my hair every 5-7 days, and for most normal people that does seem like quite a stretch, but on LHC it's fairly average (and there's nothing wrong with more or less frequent washings either). I'd say the best thing to do is once your hair gets longer, show them exactly how pretty and clean long hair can be. Besides, most of those comments were probably made out of jealousy. Every little girl wants ridiculously long (in a good way!) princess hair at some point
    Your neighborhood LHC-friendly hair stylist Anyone is always free to PM me if they have any questions they think I might be able to help with, hair or otherwise!

Length
    spike/48"CL/floor

floor length hair is so beautiful and yes I agree I would be jealous too. I would love my hair that long but it probably wont get that long. If people don't like it thats their problem.

Length
    long/55.5/long
    Type
    2c/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by akurah View Post

That approach is a bit harsh akurah. I almost sense an accusation to the OP for feeling that way. I can't help but agree with Neon Gloss, I hate those kinds of comments too. Who are they to judge how we wear our hair! And even my hair isn't floor length it's still very long and I got a lot of stares and comments everywhere I go and sometimes get sick of them. But to give something to cheer us up, the positive comments and compliments definately overcome the negative ones. And you find yourself getting used to them over time. Someone with shorter hair might find it terrifying and especially if it's an introvert person but long hair takes a lot of attention and you'll learn to live with it. And if you don't like the whole lot of looks,you'll just wear it up and forget about it...You don't need to question yourself or others f they're suitable for long hair or not! She should at least try and see, don't you think?

Length
    Bob/Waist/Ankle
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Gloss View Post
    excess amounts are never a good thing for anyone. =)

I've seen people with "excess amounts" of hair, and it seems like a good thing to them.

Or did you mean excess amounts aren't always a good thing for everyone?
    Last edited by AmandaPanda; April 6th, 2008 at 10:28 AM.

45.5" - mid-thigh
    Here I Grow Again
    Amanda

Length
    chin/33/TB
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaPanda View Post
    I've seen people with "excess amounts" of hair, and it seems like a good thing to them.

Or did you mean excess amounts aren't always a good thing for everyone?
    I thought she meant excess amounts of negativity--such as the comments some of her friends were making. And I get that, I'm fine if someone disagrees with me, but if someone goes on and on about how bad something is, and it's something I like, it makes me uncomfortable.

Length
    long/55.5/long
    Type
    2c/C/iii

I think excess amounts aren't a good thing for anyone too. But just it lies in the eyes of what that person relates to as "excess amount". For example I think floor length is very beautiful and not excess at all I mean if someone feels they have something too much and are not happy with it they shouldn't be judged why they think it's excess right? ETA: They can be judged by putting their thoughts to words by being mean though. I might understand someone who will think my hair is too long but wouldn't like it if they come insult me saying eeeew.
    Neon Gloss, do you find floor length hair excess amount? Because I got confused if you agree with your friends or not.Or did you mean the excess amount of comments?
    Last edited by zift; April 6th, 2008 at 10:38 AM.