Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scalp problem: Should I be using a Clarifying shampoo or a Dandruff shampoo?

Length
    20/Knee/Ankle
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Default Scalp problem: Should I be using a Clarifying shampoo or a Dandruff shampoo?

To make a long story short, I have some serious hard water buildup on my scalp. (2 years worth). This is also combined with dead skin, clogged pores, and sebum plugs coming out left and right. Some severe hairloss has happened as well.

So my question is, do I keep using the Clarifying shampoo and just give myself scalp massages to loosen things up before a shower. Or, would a Dandruff shampoo serve my purposes better because it would chemically help scrape the layers of crud off of my scalp.

Kinda confused on this one.

Type
    1a/1b/F/iii

Default Re: Scalp problem: Should I be using a Clarifying shampoo or a Dandruff shampoo?

other people having been having problems like this and it seems dandruff shampoo isn't helping them. i would try a clarifying shampoo (but only once) and then maybe use a more cleansing shampoo than you have been doing to get all the hard water muck out of your hair. but nothing too stripping as this could have the complete opposite effect. i'm not sure if its true for hard water but using natural shampoo really worked for me x

Length
    Chin/Apl+/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Scalp problem: Should I be using a Clarifying shampoo or a Dandruff shampoo?

I had this issue because I was putting conditioner on my damn scalp. So I did an oil and massage treatments; then took some baking soda and poo mix and scraped the hell out of my scalp with my nails. So far so good and no funky buildup. I just have to keep conditioner off my scalp. All these years of gunk could have bee avoided.
    Starting over current length: APL+.. GOAL: BACK TO HIP

Length
    20/Knee/Ankle
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Hmm interesting. Problem is that I've been shampooing and scraping for a few weeks. Granted its better but, when I run my nail over my scalp, its still rough feeling. (Think running your finger over some toasted bread.)

As for the no conditioner on scalp thing, my scalp was at its happiest when I did do that. I think the problem was that I lived in Europe for roughly 3 years and never thought about what kind of water I was using. In the beginning I was using the same Clarifyer Im using now because it made my hair so nice. But after it ran out, the buildup began and hairloss ensued.

I was thinking I might have some sort of yeast or fungal infection underneath because my actual scalp hasn't had air in years but, it doesn't itch, smell, or act funky other than being crispy or flakey. (Some of those flakes have been yellow/orangeish, ironically like the calcium buildup I had to clean up off of the shower every 2 weeks.)

Length
    Chin/Apl+/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Eryka View Post
    Hmm interesting. Problem is that I've been shampooing and scraping for a few weeks. Granted its better but, when I run my nail over my scalp, its still rough feeling. (Think running your finger over some toasted bread.)

As for the no conditioner on scalp thing, my scalp was at its happiest when I did do that. I think the problem was that I lived in Europe for roughly 3 years and never thought about what kind of water I was using. In the beginning I was using the same Clarifyer Im using now because it made my hair so nice. But after it ran out, the buildup began and hairloss ensued.

I was thinking I might have some sort of yeast or fungal infection underneath because my actual scalp hasn't had air in years but, it doesn't itch, smell, or act funky other than being crispy or flakey. (Some of those flakes have been yellow/orangeish, ironically like the calcium buildup I had to clean up off of the shower every 2 weeks.)
    Have you tried a shower filter to help get rid of some of the crap in the water? Also try applying monistat to the scalp for a week and see fi that helps. Heck you may get growth out of it. If all else fails and you have ins goto a dermatologist.
    Starting over current length: APL+.. GOAL: BACK TO HIP

Length
    20/Knee/Ankle
    Type
    1c/M/iii

The hard water problem was only when I lived in Europe. I moved back to the US on Dec 1st. No hard water here, but its not as clean either.

Type
    1b/F/i/ii

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure chelating shampoo is useful for removing hard water deposits. It's supposed to remove calcium and minerals. Maybe give that a try?

Length
    neck/shld/APL
    Type
    3b/3c/F/M/i

I normally CO wash, and I get conditioner on my scalp all the time with no probs. Mayyyybe once a year, my scalp itches, I have flakes, my roots hurt. It's not my conditioners or the fact that they touch my scalp, because I've been through many rounds of my conditioner rotation by that time. So I will use Selsun Blue Moisturizing Shampoo once, followed by conditioner and that clears it up for me. I keep it in the house until it expires because I never know when I am going to need it. I would not hesitate to use that stuff a few times if I needed to, to clear things up, but that's just me. Normally one application keeps me good for a very long time (at least a year).
    May 2010

Agressively friendly. MadPirateBippy's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

When I need to clarify I use baking soda- you might want to make a baking soda/asprin paste and scrub your scalp with it, and then rinse VERY carefully and do a vinegar rinse (the PH for baking soda is harsh on your hair, so the acid rinse is nice to get it back to where it should be).

The thing about the dandruff shampoos is they contain anti fungals. If your scalp isn't suffering from fungus, it won't really help you.

Length
    SL/SL/dunno
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I am having this same problem. I have an itchy scalp that no matter how little or how often or what shampoo or conditioner I use it has been itchy and has these sebum plug things that pop out and is massively shedding!

I finally went and got some Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Oil Shampoo and am going to use the Oyin Frank Juice Leave in and see if that helps.

I hope with good product in my haiir it will make my scalp happy and not make me break out.

KJ