Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Indigo: Some can become itchy or break out

Located in Elkridge, Maryland (USA) and Toronto, Ontario (Canada)

Default Indigo: Some can become itchy or break out

Just wanted to let you all know that while many love indigo and it works so well. I have found a small percentage of people, usually those using a majority of indigo in their henna/hair recipe, found that they were itchy or broke out a bit, along the hair lines or scalp area.

So just be aware that there is a possibility, even though a small percentage, it is best to always do spot tests if you are more sensitive then others or do have allergies in general.

If this has happened to you, please share your experience with us.

I actually *did* get a bit of the scalp itchies from my henndigo treatment. It wasn't terrible, but I definitely wasn't expecting it. It felt rather like I'd been in a hot shower for too long. It probably lasted a day to a day and a half, and I could feel a raised area where it was especially itchy. I didn't get this with straight henna.

Located in Elkridge, Maryland (USA) and Toronto, Ontario (Canada)

thanks elfling that is a good share. Because I feel that this is a real issue amongst some people and would like to collect proper information regarding it.

Length
    18/24/28
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Sorry I was slow to reply. Yes, I itch after Indigo, and always have done, whether I've done onestep/twostep process. All my Indigo is Catherines stuff.

I think I get a similar reaction with the henna alone, but am not entirely sure about that as I generally indigo at the same time or very shortly afterwards.

That's why I'm considering going back to synthetic types of hairdyes, because they're quicker acting (a bit plus for 'grey' people, believe me!).

Length
    pixie/22.5/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Me too Khadija - I never get itchy from straight henna, even when I used henna powder mixed with straight lemon juice. However, indigo in my henna mix made me very itchy. I didnt break out though, thank goodness.
    1" (03/13), 18" (05/14); 6yrs off LHC, pixied 10/17, now 22”
    Maybe goals: BSL 28, WL 36, TB 42, CL 50, Knee 62

Length
    85"/47"/47"
    Type
    1c/C/iii

Hey Celebrian, I'm with you on the temptation to turn to standard dye.

This isn't a case of mild discomfort for me, I'm doing deep breathing and putting cold washcloths on my neck to refocus from the itching. It sucks, and I'm no wuss.

I do requent touch-ups for grey root coverage so the idea of only dedicating a half-hour to the process is mighty tempting ...

but then, my hair is so much healthier now ... and I hate to ruin that.

Aggh.

There's got to be an answer to this...

Length
    85"/47"/47"
    Type
    1c/C/iii

Oops. Forgot the point somewhere ...

I never have any breakouts from the indigo, or residual itching after its rinsed out either. I have instant relief once I run water over my scalp.

I also never have had any issues with straight henna. I love the henna part of my two-step process by comparison.

Length
    18/24/28
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Well, my itching seems to continue for a good 24 hours - despite much rinsing, shampooing and conditioning. I usually have to re-wash etc. again the next day for further relief!

Have you seen my 'goodbye henindigo: hallo PPD dye' thread? You might like it - we're a mixed bunch; some wanting to stay with henna and stuff, and others breaking away towards synthetics!!

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    pixie/pixie/waist
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/iii

Default Re: Indigo: Some can become itchy or break out

Bumping this up!
    I just had an experience like this. I had used indigo 3 times before with no problem at all, no itch, no sensitivity.
    This time, however, all along my hairline and my ears (gaaah! they were the worst!) were so itchy. I noticed faint purplely red marks, too (not quite like welts, but just marks). After I washed my hair for the second time, the marks and the itch went away.

I'm kinda scared that this is a sign I should stop using indigo...but I LOVE using indigo

Any insight?

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Indigo: Some can become itchy or break out

Yes, I have itchiness with indigo. It is quite bad at my ears, but the scalp is bad too. It lasts for quite a few days afterward, even when I shampoo it out.

I have not noticed this problem with straight henna or with katam.