Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How To Determine Your Hair Color and Shade?

Length
    21.5/23.5/35
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Default How To Determine Your Hair Color and Shade?

I was not able to find a hair colour guide in the LHC articles. So I have some questions about hair colour:
    1) Is there a standard guide for the names of various shades of natural hair colours? For example, I am a brunette, but is there a specific name for my specific shade of brown?
    2) I'm also curious to know what the spectrum of colours within black, blond, brown, red or even grey and white. What about the difference between light/medium/dark shades? Or if a hair colour appears to be between two colours, e.g. what is the difference between dark blonde or light brown?
    3) Do hair dye companies accurately name their colours based on real non-dyed hair colours? Most online hair colour guides seem to be based on hair dyes.
    4) How can you determine hair colour if hair colour is changing or more than one colour (e.g. going naturally lighter/darker, sun bleached ends, natural lighter streaks, greying)?
    APL...MBL...WL...HL...TBL

Length
    Chin/BCL/CL

Default Re: How To Determine Your Hair Color and Shade?

I don't know how your hair looks (as far as I recall), but yes, your shade probably has a specific name.
    Also, where you are from may determine how you perceive light and dark colors.
    For example, a very light brown shade but that is still for me as a Swedish person clearly brown, may for people from the other side of the world that is not used to lighter haircolors perceive as dark blonde.
    Last edited by Für immer; January 12th, 2024 at 12:38 PM.
    Lady Moon of the forests of wonderland, in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights
    🧜On instagram: yareach_lhc

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Für immer View Post
    I don't know how your hair looks (as far as I recall), but yes, your shade probably has a specific name.
    Also, where you are from may determine how you perceive light and dark colors.
    For example, a very light brown shade but that is still for me as a Swedish person clearly brown, may for people from the other side of the world that is not used to lighter haircolors perceive as dark blonde.
    I am one of those people. No one in Sweden would call my natural color blond. It's clearly a light brown. But I've been called blond by people from countries, where black and dark brown colors are the norm.

1. Yes there are names for different hair colors. The reason there's no article on LHC, is probably because we're all here for the length. While "mainstream" media and sites probably have a lot more written about this. There's also different names for this in different languages. I'm probably more familiar with the Swedish names.

2. You also have the hair color chart going from 1-10. One is deep black and 10 is the most light blond.

4. Your hair can be more than one color. Both by nature and by choise. There are several ways to describe a hair color. For example it could be "light brown, with blond streaks and a few greys".

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/BCL/CL

Quote Originally Posted by TatsuOni View Post
    I am one of those people. No one in Sweden would call my natural color blond. It's clearly a light brown. But I've been called blond by people from countries, where black and dark brown colors are the norm.
    I've seen pictures of your natural color, and, yeah, I can't understand how people can't tell it's brown, but then again I am Swedish, so.
    And like I told you before, my family/relatives go from blond, to brunettes, red heads and even black hair, so.

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I've seen pictures of your natural color, and, yeah, I can't understand how people can't tell it's brown, but then again I am Swedish, so.
    And like I told you before, my family/relatives go from blond, to brunettes, red heads and even black hair, so.
    My father had black hair before turning grey (and blue eyes) and my mother has a light brown shade, that turns blond in the sun. So during the winter she has both brown and blond hair.

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/BCL/CL

My father had black hair before turning grey (and blue eyes) and my mother has a light brown shade, that turns blond in the sun. So during the winter she has both brown and blond hair.
    That's really cool!

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

That's really cool!
    I feel like we're totally stealing the thread here, but I thought about how my hair must have more/stronger pigment in it than my mothers. While I both dye (henna and indigo) and cover my hair now. I used to spend a lot of time in the sun when I was younger and I didn't really turn blond. Otherwise my hair is very similar to my mothers. Pretty much the same natural color and texture.

Length
    Chin/BCL/CL

I feel like we're totally stealing the thread here, but I thought about how my hair must have more/stronger pigment in it than my mothers. While I both dye (henna and indigo) and cover my hair now. I used to spend a lot of time in the sun when I was younger and I didn't really turn blond. Otherwise my hair is very similar to my mothers. Pretty much the same natural color and texture.
    Yeah, that's easy to do when we start chatting away.

sounds like that could be it.

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Yeah, that's easy to do when we start chatting away.

sounds like that could be it.
    But I also do find the subject interesting!

My brother who has both the same mother and father as I, also has similar hair. But unlike me, he was born with the lightest shade of blond, that then got darker. He's usually wearing a baseballcap in the summer, so I don't know what would happen if he got sun on it.

Length
    Chin/BCL/CL

But I also do find the subject interesting!

My brother who has both the same mother and father as I, also has similar hair. But unlike me, he was born with the lightest shade of blond, that then got darker. He's usually wearing a baseballcap in the summer, so I don't know what would happen if he got sun on it.
    Hmm, perhaps the same shade as I when I was growing up? Was more white than blond.