Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello!

Default Hello!

I'm a male Egyptian who has been a lurker here for a few months.

I have never really taken care of my hair until about a year ago. I just used a regular shampoo (Clear Men shampoo) and my hair really never complained.

Last March, however, I have tried L'oreal Pro Longer shampoo and all hell broke loose. My scalp was incredibly irritated almost immediately, started developing huge amount of dandruff that I never really had, and started to fall in lumps.

I'm not quite sure if this is the shampoo, it might be a mere correlation and not necessarily a causation, but this all started back then.

My hair is still falling in a scary rate to this day. I even shaved my hair to 2mm and the small hairs keeps falling whenever I wash my hair.

I do not currently have any sign dandruff or irritation and my scalp looks healthy.

I went to several dermatologists, but unfortunately dermatologists here are just scammers who want to give you LaserCap/Plasma/etc sessions without even looking at my scalp well or even asking for my history.

One of the dermatologists told me that I have increased antibodies when looking at my scalp with a dermascope and suggested that I take supplements (I already take Solgar Male Multiple) and use shampoo called Capixy, which did nothing.

I'm just not sure what to do anymore.

I'm sorry if this is not pertinent to this forum.

Thank you.

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Hello!

Welcome here, good to have you with us!

Important question: did you go back to your usual shampoo and hair routine after the bad experience? It has been quite a while since you used the supposedly problematic shampoo, so I think your scalp should have settled down from it already if it was that, granted that you stopped using it.

Did you actually notice your hair thinning, or is it possible you just started paying more attention to shedding after the scalp reaction?

A real pity about the scamming dermatologists over there, but even over where I am, they can be very frustrating to deal with. My sister went to see one for 15 minutes, paid €100 for the visit (private doctor). The derm only had a quick glance at her scalp and the problem didn't get fixed.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by mustapha View Post
    I'm a male Egyptian who has been a lurker here for a few months.

I have never really taken care of my hair until about a year ago. I just used a regular shampoo (Clear Men shampoo) and my hair really never complained.

Last March, however, I have tried L'oreal Pro Longer shampoo and all hell broke loose. My scalp was incredibly irritated almost immediately, started developing huge amount of dandruff that I never really had, and started to fall in lumps.

I'm not quite sure if this is the shampoo, it might be a mere correlation and not necessarily a causation, but this all started back then.

My hair is still falling in a scary rate to this day. I even shaved my hair to 2mm and the small hairs keeps falling whenever I wash my hair.

I do not currently have any sign dandruff or irritation and my scalp looks healthy.

I went to several dermatologists, but unfortunately dermatologists here are just scammers who want to give you LaserCap/Plasma/etc sessions without even looking at my scalp well or even asking for my history.

One of the dermatologists told me that I have increased antibodies when looking at my scalp with a dermascope and suggested that I take supplements (I already take Solgar Male Multiple) and use shampoo called Capixy, which did nothing.

I'm just not sure what to do anymore.

I'm sorry if this is not pertinent to this forum.

Thank you.
    Howdy! I'm afraid I don't have good advice for you since I have never dealt with hairfall like that, except to say that hairfall can be affected by your overall health (stress, sleep, nutrition, etc.) apart from specific scalp irritations.

I grew up in the U.S. but my mother's family is from Cairo. Nice to have another Egyptian on the site : )

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    Welcome here, good to have you with us!

Important question: did you go back to your usual shampoo and hair routine after the bad experience? It has been quite a while since you used the supposedly problematic shampoo, so I think your scalp should have settled down from it already if it was that, granted that you stopped using it.

Did you actually notice your hair thinning, or is it possible you just started paying more attention to shedding after the scalp reaction?

A real pity about the scamming dermatologists over there, but even over where I am, they can be very frustrating to deal with. My sister went to see one for 15 minutes, paid €100 for the visit (private doctor). The derm only had a quick glance at her scalp and the problem didn't get fixed.
    Thank you for the warm welcome

I did after about 3rd use of the shampoo within approximately two days. I'm not quite sure really, and my scalp is ostensibly OK, which makes me think there is an internal problem and I'm not really sure where to start.

Unlikely, because the shedding is extremely noticeable—think scratching your hair and having quite a few hairs come out— the sink, the floor, the brush, my forehead all have hairs when I brush.

This is extremely infuriating, I'm sorry she had to go through this. This is almost exactly what happened to me: quick look with a dermascope, and some even without, and they have magically "diagnosed" the issue.
    I hope she does not have to go to them again.

Thank you so much for your input Ylva, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by shelomit View Post
    Howdy! I'm afraid I don't have good advice for you since I have never dealt with hairfall like that, except to say that hairfall can be affected by your overall health (stress, sleep, nutrition, etc.) apart from specific scalp irritations.

I grew up in the U.S. but my mother's family is from Cairo. Nice to have another Egyptian on the site : )
    That is actually quite a good advice, I do not have any scalp irritation and my scalp is ostensibly healthy, which makes me think there are other internal problems. I'm just not sure where to start. Though, there are no change in my sleep pattern or nutrition, although there is some stress.

That is awesome! A fellow Egyptian! I'm glad to have met you too!

Thanks so much for your input!

Length
    15/40/tbd
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Thank you for the warm welcome

I did after about 3rd use of the shampoo within approximately two days. I'm not quite sure really, and my scalp is ostensibly OK, which makes me think there is an internal problem and I'm not really sure where to start.

Unlikely, because the shedding is extremely noticeable—think scratching your hair and having quite a few hairs come out— the sink, the floor, the brush, my forehead all have hairs when I brush.

This is extremely infuriating, I'm sorry she had to go through this. This is almost exactly what happened to me: quick look with a dermascope, and some even without, and they have magically "diagnosed" the issue.
    I hope she does not have to go to them again.

Thank you so much for your input Ylva, much appreciated.
    Welcome!

I also wonder if more than one thing is happening here. Sometimes when our bodies experience a stressor - whether physical or psychological - we can experience a period of intense shedding. It can be a delayed reaction of a few months, even, from the event (long enough to not notice a correlation). Was there any thing going on in the months prior to your experience such as having covid or another illness, a life event of some sort?

If you're still experiencing hairfall after only using the product for a few days I can't imagine that's the cause of this experience! Have you seen your GP and done a full blood panel? Vitamin/mineral deficiencies, thyroid imbalances, all sorts of other issues can have hairfall as a symptom. I wish you good luck getting this sorted out!
    Lady Daybreak, keeper of the Stars & Sea ☽︎ artist, lover, general mystic

Quote Originally Posted by baanoo View Post
    Welcome!

I also wonder if more than one thing is happening here. Sometimes when our bodies experience a stressor - whether physical or psychological - we can experience a period of intense shedding. It can be a delayed reaction of a few months, even, from the event (long enough to not notice a correlation). Was there any thing going on in the months prior to your experience such as having covid or another illness, a life event of some sort?

If you're still experiencing hairfall after only using the product for a few days I can't imagine that's the cause of this experience! Have you seen your GP and done a full blood panel? Vitamin/mineral deficiencies, thyroid imbalances, all sorts of other issues can have hairfall as a symptom. I wish you good luck getting this sorted out!
    Thinking about it, the entire past year has been relatively stressful (some life events).

I'm going to visit my GP next week and do the tests you mentioned.

Thank you so much for your input and good wishes!

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Welcome!

I think some blood tests and trying to eliminate stress, as best as you can is a good place to start.

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Quote Originally Posted by TatsuOni View Post
    Welcome!

I think some blood tests and trying to eliminate stress, as best as you can is a good place to start.
    Thank you I'm going to do the tests next week and pay a visit to my GP. Thanks so much for your input.

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Thank you I'm going to do the tests next week and pay a visit to my GP. Thanks so much for your input.
    Feel free to update us about how it goes

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights