Page 504 of 529 FirstFirst ... 4404454494502503504505506514 ... LastLast
Results 5,031 to 5,040 of 5285

Thread: Honey thread - from TBB and bits from old LHC

Length
    pixie/bsl/waist
    Type
    1c/F/i/ii

Default Re: Honey thread - from TBB and bits from old LHC

I just thought I'd post with an update on my honey lightening routine. I've been using Colour B4 to remove my chemical dye, so I've been using a modified honey mask mostly to condition but also to lift the colour a little. I swapped out the distilled water for coconut milk, which I believe is PH neutral. I've also been measuring by volume instead of weight.

I mix up 25ml honey, 100ml coconut milk and 1 tbsp olive oil in a hair dye applicator bottle, shake to combine and let it sit for an hour. Then I squirt it all over my dry hair, bag it, let it 'cook' for an hour or so and shampoo and condition.

I haven't been taking photos, but I do notice it's been toning down the copper in my hair, and it's been working wonders for the condition of my hair. I also find the coconut milk makes the mix just viscous enough to not be as drippy.

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Amber_Maiden View Post
    Here you go ktani! As promised:

Before honey lightening- Herbal dark brown dye (which ended up black, pretty much). Under that there was 2 applications of indigo and henna. Then tons of applications of henna- which went too dark.

As of Feb 21st- at application #9:

What a beautiful results! You really see a good process! How long do you leave the recipe on?

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Thank you. The middle picture was the closest I could get to my original colour- the last picture. I left it on about four hours at a time.
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

Amber_Maiden, this is great result! i wish mine will be like that, i have the exact starting color!!
    i did a strand test to check if my honey is good but it did nothing, so i will try to order jarrah honey and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodRouge View Post
    Just wondering if anyone knows whether leaving honey on hair for 7 hours in one go, or putting honey on hair for 1 hour, rinsing out, and putting another honey treatment on the hair for another hour rinsing out, and repeating for 7 hours would achieve a lighter result faster?
    Im thinking maybe the second option, because then more peroxide is being produced?
    Because doesn't honey produce most of the peroxide (the thing that actually lightens the hair) in the first hour? Then progressively slows?
    ...anyone?

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodRouge View Post
    ...anyone?
    The second option for one hour has been reported to work well. Seven hours is unnecessary, in my opinion. You can leave a treatment on the hair more than one hour if you like.

Different honeys have different peak and decline times. For those who prefer a longer time, two hours has also been reported to work well. However, as I said, one hour has been reported to work just fine.

ETA: If someone wants to leave a treatment on the hair for seven hours they can. I just see no point to it, with the new recipes.

ETA:2 For the new recipes, one can leave the treatment to sit for one hour before application to develop the peroxide value, and do a one hour timing on the hair as well.

ETA:3 While conditioner, coconut cream and coconut milk can work for honey lightening, they are no longer recommended because from the first post link,

"8. Conditioner is no longer recommended to be included in honey lightening recipes. Conditioner is too acidic for most honeys and the spices, (it can reduce the optimal pH needed for a honey to produce peroxide), can contain ingredients that interfere with honey lightening, and its water content (most conditioners are 70-90% water), if used as part of the new dilution, can effectively reduce the amount of water needed. The same applies to coconut cream and milk (they contain minerals, are acidic and contain Vitamin C, as well as not enough water). You can use conditioner only, to wash out a honey lightening treatment, instead of using shampoo or just rinse a treatment out. If there is honey residue, shampoo is recommended and has been reported to easily resolve the problem."

They take longer to work and may not work as well.
    Last edited by ktani; March 22nd, 2012 at 06:19 AM. Reason: ETA and ETA:2 and 3

Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Well, I've now done the honey treatment on my hair nine times and have definitely seen a difference in color. As to the condition; it feels the same, but looks shinier.

My hair has henna/cassia on the top few inches and just henna on the rest, so it's darker and redder on the length. I'd like to make it lighter overall and get rid of as much of the red as I can (I know it will still have a lot of red, but I want a more golden subtle look)

I have a couple of questions I'd love some opinions on!

1) Has anyone done a lot more than nine or ten treatments (I've done nine so far) and continued to see a noticeable lightening?
    I think I can still see a gradual change, but, of course, it's pretty subtle and I'm not sure exactly how much difference I'm seeing in the last few attempts.

2) I'm thinking of using Sun In or the similar John Freida lightening spray to lighten it up even more.
    Would the fact I've already honey lightened (even though it's so gentle) make my hair even more likely to be damaged by using a spray like this?
    And if I do try this, should I take a break from the honey lightening before I do it?
    I've been using the honey almost every wash (which is every three days) with no ill effects so far!

Quote Originally Posted by MonaMayfair View Post
    Well, I've now done the honey treatment on my hair nine times and have definitely seen a difference in color. As to the condition; it feels the same, but looks shinier.

My hair has henna/cassia on the top few inches and just henna on the rest, so it's darker and redder on the length. I'd like to make it lighter overall and get rid of as much of the red as I can (I know it will still have a lot of red, but I want a more golden subtle look)

I have a couple of questions I'd love some opinions on!

1) Has anyone done a lot more than nine or ten treatments (I've done nine so far) and continued to see a noticeable lightening?
    I think I can still see a gradual change, but, of course, it's pretty subtle and I'm not sure exactly how much difference I'm seeing in the last few attempts.

2) I'm thinking of using Sun In or the similar John Freida lightening spray to lighten it up even more.
    Would the fact I've already honey lightened (even though it's so gentle) make my hair even more likely to be damaged by using a spray like this?
    And if I do try this, should I take a break from the honey lightening before I do it?
    I've been using the honey almost every wash (which is every three days) with no ill effects so far!
    2) There is no reason I can think of why it should make your hair more likely to be damaged.

You can takes steps to help prevent Sun-In damage though.

The protective mechanisims in honey and the other honey lightening recipe ingredients have been "translated" to help protect hair from conventional peroxide damage, without losing lightening, http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.ca/20...nnovative.html

See also the first page of the thread linked in the blog post. You can do a pre-treatment with coconut oil before using the Sun-In.

Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Thankyou for replying ktani. I'd read about the coconut oil before bleaching, but hadn't thought of it in relation to Sun In!

Any thoughts on whether doing another ten or so honey treatments would result in continued lightening?

Quote Originally Posted by MonaMayfair View Post
    Thankyou for replying ktani. I'd read about the coconut oil before bleaching, but hadn't thought of it in relation to Sun In!

Any thoughts on whether doing another ten or so honey treatments would result in continued lightening?
    You are very welcome.

People here in this thread have done over 9 treatments with continued lightening and no reported damage.

In older threads, months of honey lightening resulted in continued lightening and no hair damage and one person did one almost every day.

The difference is that with the new recipes, lightening has been reported to be faster, more consistent and better.