Page 2 of 307 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Honey thread - from TBB and bits from old LHC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Honey thread

Meli

See if you can find a sulphate free shampoo locally - is there a health food store somewhere near you outside of your town but near enough? - if SLES is a problem - either would be gentler on your hair IMO than baking soda and more efficient at removing coatings than CO. Shampoo bars in general have a higher pH than baking soda and can leave a residue unless you use a vinegar rinse afterwards.

If finding an SLES free shampoo is a problem or expensive - you would only need to use the SLES shampoo occassionally - and you can dilute it.
    Last edited by ktani; March 18th, 2008 at 01:17 PM. Reason: added text

Located in Elkridge, Maryland (USA) and Toronto, Ontario (Canada)

After years of using only henna and being fussy I guess in my pregnancy I decided to try this recipe to tone down some of my reddish tones and keep myself a freshening up

Used 50 % cassia obovata
    50% honey
    and my liquid was a strong chamomile tea. I don't measure much but I use about 200 grams of powder usually.

So anyhow I mixed my chamomile with my cassia and let that sit (after the chamomile was brewed and cooled some) for about an hour or 2.
    Then I added my honey which also added more liquid which I didn't realize the first time around. So I recommend just doing it slowly a bit a time when adding any liquid. Mixed well.

Then I applied and left that on my hair for like 2 hours and washed out thoroughly as possible. I felt refreshed for sure.

So now I am going to do that one more time, and then switching to yemen and see how the change goes. I just don't want my hair too dark-ish looking from henna build-up.

Default Honey thread

Henna Sooq

First - congratulations on the pregnancy - I did not know about it.

Second - thank you for your recipe - did you get any lightening and how was the condition of your hair?

Hennaed hair can be more resistant to the honey lightening treatments - that is why there are specific recipes for hair with multiple layers of henna - there have been reports of the tomato and the coconut cream recipes being successful.
    Last edited by ktani; March 28th, 2008 at 05:00 PM. Reason: grammar

Length
    11/12/20
    Type
    1b/M/i

Default Re: Honey thread - from TBB and bits from old LHC

I use a small dollap of honey mixed with conditioner to condition every time I shampoo. It makes my hair smoother and more bodiful. I'm not currently coloring my hair, but my question is: does honey strip out hair color (not henna, but regular permanent color?). Sometimes I like to go darker, but it seems my hair doesn't hold hair color for very long. Could the honey in my condish be contributing to this, or am I not using enough to make a difference? I use just a pea sized amount well mixed into conditioner.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterInBlue View Post
    I use a small dollap of honey mixed with conditioner to condition every time I shampoo. It makes my hair smoother and more bodiful. I'm not currently coloring my hair, but my question is: does honey strip out hair color (not henna, but regular permanent color?). Sometimes I like to go darker, but it seems my hair doesn't hold hair color for very long. Could the honey in my condish be contributing to this, or am I not using enough to make a difference? I use just a pea sized amount well mixed into conditioner.
    It should not but it depends on how long that you leave it on your hair.

Honey and conditioner can lighten hair, but it is usually gradual. The recommended time for using this combination is a minimum of 1 hour. You can microwave the honey first separately, for 30 seconds to under 1 minute, to prevent the possibility of lightening.

Length
    27/13/20
    Type
    1a/F/i

I do not have distilled water, but i have a water softener... will that work? for the honey and water?

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Akville View Post
    Hi!

what happens if I have 1:1 honey and water should it be exactly 1:4??

I mean if its honey that makes peroxide the more honey the better results or???
    I'd also be interested to know an answer to this, especially as with the 1:4 ratio the mixture is way too drippy to be at all manageable, I've found...

Length
    chin/waist/TB
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: honey

I'm sort of new here and don't want to start out by damaging my hair, so my question: since the lightening effect is produced by peroxide, which is that horrible, damaging, evil and wicked (slight sarcasm intended) chemical, does honey damage similarly, only on a smaller scale? Or does the fact that it's honey and not a 30% or 40% solution of pure chemical reduce the damage to the point that it's not noticeable even after several treatments?

Quote Originally Posted by QueenOfTheSkye View Post
    I'm sort of new here and don't want to start out by damaging my hair, so my question: since the lightening effect is produced by peroxide, which is that horrible, damaging, evil and wicked (slight sarcasm intended) chemical, does honey damage similarly, only on a smaller scale? Or does the fact that it's honey and not a 30% or 40% solution of pure chemical reduce the damage to the point that it's not noticeable even after several treatments?
    Please see this post, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=122 and the first post of this thread for further information, here http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=1096 # 11. It contains a link to more information.

Please also see this thread, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=10495.

Length
    chin/waist/TB
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

Thanks for soothing my worries!