Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suspicious Hair Breakage...

Type
    1a/1b/F/i

Default Suspicious Hair Breakage...

I took a recent length picture and I’m happy my hair seems to keep growing, but judging by the photos it appears I’m getting some suspicious breakage in the middle of my back.
    Whats curious about this is that I rarely, if ever, wear my hair down. So I don’t believe it’s being caused by me sitting against my hair...
    Could this be caused by the buns I wear? Anyone have similar experiences?

Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

Default Re: Suspicious Hair Breakage...

Have you ever had your hair longer? I wonder if you have a short terminal length? Looks like it's the nape of your neck- do you wear ponytails/hair elastics? Could also be your hair rubbing on your shirt if your texture is fine, it probably breaks easily.
    Pixie..Chin length...Shoulder length...APL...BSL...WL ​I reached my hair goal!
    Lady Undine Waverunner of the Azure Seas in the Order of the Longhaired Knights

Type
    1a/1b/F/i

The length it is right now is the longest it’s ever been. Usually somewhere between APL & BSL I get squirrelly and cut it back.

I typically wear my hair bunned and secured with a claw clip. At night sometimes I will wear a satin scrunchie. Maybe that’s what’s causing the damage.

What’s confusing me is that it seems between the 1st photo and today’s photo (8 months difference) the middle part of my hair has almost completely broken away and I’ve been caring for it better now than ever before. Hmmm... something’s causing it I just need to determine what!

Type
    1b/F/M/ii

My first guess would've been rubbing against chair backs or straps but you did say you wear your hair up most of the time. My next guess as above might be hair elastics.

What kind of buns do you wear? Do you constantly wear the same one in the same position or do you switch things up? I could only vaguely suggest that constant if gentle tension in one direction might cause some breakage.

24 - 25 - 26 - 27 - 28 - 29 - 30 - 31 - 32 - 33 - 34

Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I think your December picture still looks good, I only start to notice it in the February picture. I would think it might be a bit more recent change. How long have you been wearing your hair up?

Also, do you dye your hair? That's exactly what the ends of my hair looked like for a while as I grew bleach out. The dyed ends weren't strong enough to last past a few years of wear and tear without breaking off.
    Last edited by divinedobbie; February 5th, 2018 at 07:49 PM.

24 - 25 - 26 - 27 - 28 - 29 - 30 - 31 - 32 - 33 - 34

Type
    1a/1b/F/i

I usually twist my hair to the right, and clip it up. Nothing fancy and almost always the same. So yeah, maybe that’s causing the damage.

I am growing out bleach, yeah! My ends are very weak but this breakage pattern threw me for a loop!

Length
    MBL/TBL/Class
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Between Dec and Feb it looks thinner or thinned out during that time. It appears it happened rapidly. Running your fingers gently through your hair 5 times...does hair come loose each time? If so, maybe hair loss? Has your diet changed or any medical conditions?

Save your hair vitamin money and put into a retirement fund. That's growth.

Type
    1a/1b/F/i

I just ran my fingers through my hair and no hair came out. So that seems promising.

No dietary changes, but there has been a ton of illnesses run through our house this winter. Colds, flu, bronchitis... perhaps that’s had an effect.

Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

I think it has more to do with the growing out bleach. I grew out bleach too, and it would always reach a point and just break off. I ended up maintaining around collarbone for nearly a year doing frequent trims until all the bleach was gone- and then my taper disappeared and my hair grew rapidly from there. I didn't realize that you had colored your hair, though looking at your avatar picture I can see the length is much darker than your roots. I would try to rule out mechanical damage and health issues, but it may just be a waiting game for the bleach to grow out and get trimmed off.
    Pixie..Chin length...Shoulder length...APL...BSL...WL ​I reached my hair goal!
    Lady Undine Waverunner of the Azure Seas in the Order of the Longhaired Knights

The Cheery Raggamuffin AutobotsAttack's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/40in/FTL
    Type
    3c/4a/F/iii

Can I ask how do you do any parts, or sectioning when you go to put your hair up? Do you tend to part or section in the same general area all the time? My hair is doing the exact same thing, and it’s mostly due to always parting or sectioning my hair in a certain spot all the time. Considering your diet is in check, and no hairs come out when you run your fingers through them, and along with the growing out some color, I think the newer hairs towards your roots are able to hold up the mechanical stress, and as the longer colored parts get older they can’t really match up. There may just be broken hairs you’re not seeing. Like when you go to shower, and detangle, and maybe some hairs break while fastened up in your hairstyles. I have this exact same issue.
    “A Wizard is never late! He arrives precisely when he means to!”
    Chin>Neck>SL>BSL>WL>HL>BCL>TBL>Classic>Upper Thigh
    I was the only one who wasn’t King Fu Fighting.