Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ?? Cinnamon ??

Length
    12"/25"/48"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Wink ?? Cinnamon ??

I'm nuts about the fragrance of cinnamon, but understand it's bad for the skin especially EO. It says not "get on skin".

I'd love to make my own soap bar with a cinnamon fragrance , for body washing, not hair. But I don't know how. I know it's safe to do this because Philosophy has a cinnamon body wash which smells great but is way too expensive.

Any thoughts or cinnamon recipes that you may have, please share.

Length
    17/37.5/53
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: ?? Cinnamon ??

I imagine there are some synthetic fragrance oils out there that are cinnamon-scented that wouldn't be dangerous to use in soap. Note that while it probably won't smell exactly like the essential oil, as it isn't actually made from cinnamon, it should smell close enough to be satisfying. Check around on sites that sell fragrance oils for cinnamon scented ones. Saveonscents.com has some for reasonable prices and tips on usage rates, etc. I hope this helps!

The middle of My Forest, where fairies dwell.
    Length
    17in/tb/50in
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Cinnamon maybe used if diluted enough with another oil like grapeseed as a carrier oil. But I would try using the actual cinnamon, not oil. The fake oils, IMHO is harsher than the real. The main thing is that it is an irritant. I have used cinnamon in my henna mix before and the issue was that you must not use very much at all. Treat it as you would a pepper oil and you should do fine. Failing that use a Scent oil not an EO to get the smell that you want. I will check with a friend, she makes homemade soaps and she could recommend what to do.
    Last edited by Redheaded Raven; October 29th, 2008 at 11:07 PM. Reason: clarity
    ............ ....... ....................

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by jera View Post
    I'm nuts about the fragrance of cinnamon, but understand it's bad for the skin especially EO. It says not "get on skin".

I'd love to make my own soap bar with a cinnamon fragrance , for body washing, not hair. But I don't know how. I know it's safe to do this because Philosophy has a cinnamon body wash which smells great but is way too expensive.

Any thoughts or cinnamon recipes that you may have, please share.
    I would patch test cinnamon as well. Even though you may eat it with no problems, you may be sensitive to any cinnamon on your skin.

In Honey, it is the amount primarily that causes problems.

Diluted in a soap mixture, you should be ok with ground cinnamon, provided that you are not allergic to it and you do not add to much to your soap recipe.

Type
    2a/M/iii

I used cinnamon om my hair some time ago, with some lemon and conditioner i think. It was runny and ran down my face, my skin itched and got red. Didn't know that it wasn't good for skin back then. I'll never use it again..

Just thought i'd share my experience

Type
    1a/F/ii/iii

I've been using 1 Tbs cinnamon as a "booster" in Ktani's honey lightening mixture.

I looooove the smell, and find that the fragrance even lasts through several washings! I'll admit that it does make my scalp feel "warm," but since it doesn't stay in my hair or longer than an hour, it isn't that bad. Bear in mind that I have very sensitive skin (SD and Rosacea).

I've thought about adding it to a low/no fragrance conditioner that I would put just on the ends of my hair, although I've not yet tried it.

Length
    12"/25"/48"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Wink Re: ?? Cinnamon ??

Cinnamon doesn't bother the palms of my hands. I use it to scent odorless candles because I love it. I sprinkle some into my palms and then rub it all over the candle. This has never bothered my skin even if I touch my face without washing my hands afterwards. I've been doing this for years. I never knew cinnamon could cause skin reactions until I went to buy some cinnamon EO at Isis and saw the warning. I guess I'll have to do some more research on this.

I'd love a cinnamon fragrance shampoo, but have never used cinnamon on my hair. It sounds lovely though, and it must make hair smell heavenly.

Length
    Chin/Apl+/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I believe cassia EO would work or am I wrong? it smells just like cinnamon or is this also cinnamon EO?
    Starting over current length: APL+.. GOAL: BACK TO HIP

Length
    12/24/38

Quote Originally Posted by lora410 View Post
    I believe cassia EO would work or am I wrong? it smells just like cinnamon or is this also cinnamon EO?
    Cassia is a type of cinnamon; the two types are Cassia and Ceylon. (http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...scinnamon.html) I imagine it would require the same use of caution.

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

I had no idea cinnamon might be bad for skin... so I added a generous amount to my henna/plant dye mixture, together with yoghurt and honey. My hair came out great, it still smells a bit like a cinnamon cookie, and I think I will use it again. But in less copious amounts ;-)
    1b F ii/iii
    92cm/36.2"