Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On hair goals and timing

Length
    buzz/MBL/?
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Default On hair goals and timing

More often than not I see people stating "I will be at X length on Y date", or "my final goal is Z". While I can understand and appreciate the thought behind it, it's also something that can lull us into a false sense of security.

Because we never know for sure what our growth rate will be, we might not reach X at Y, it might be a lot later than what we originally thought. And we can never be sure where our own terminal length will be, or for that matter if we find that something before terminal is quite enough for us.

Hair growing is something where we are at the mercy of our own body, it decides when we get to a goal we have set up for ourselves, it decides whether we can even get to that goal or not. Don't stop setting goals for yourselves, but be humble and acknowledge that if and when that goal is reached is not up to us, it's up to factors that we have little to no control over.
    Student of the arts of simplicity and benign neglect
    BBB, Madora comb, GM Cream Shampoo/Rinse/Biosilk every 5-7 days, buns and braids
    buzzcut/MBL/where it stops or where it feels comfortable

Length
    SL/KL/KL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: On hair goals and timing

Interesting POV I tend to guess when I'll make a goal, but obviously growth rates change slightly month to month, so I don't actually expect to be right where I want to be at a specific date. The best thing is to appreciate our hair at all lengths and conditions, instead of always just focusing on the final goal. I don't think it hurts to dream a bit though
    mbl - wl - hl - bcl - tbl - cl - ftl - mtl -kl

54"

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I avoided anticipating at which times I'd reach which lengths. My hair growth was too erratic - like a weed one month, barely changing at all another month. Or the right side would grow like crazy and look so weird that I'd have to cut it back (because I like symmetry). It always amuses me to see posts that go something like "I'll reach tailbone in March!" I'm always thinking "right ... let us know how that works out for you."

Length
    shoul/waist/40
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/i/ii

Dreams are free

It's just estimation; most realize that I think and accept what is when the time comes.
    In those times when my growth slowed I just moved the goal date; no biggie.
    It gives you purpose and hope for the journey.
    As long as you ENJOY the journey at every stage...using the styles and hair toys you can to bling it up. HAVE FUN

Type
    2b/F/ii/iii

I think working a few months ahead (3 or 6) is fine, but when people plan multiple years (in 3/4/5 years time I will be at X) in advance I wonder a little. Because there is so much that can happen in such a long period of time, like an illness that stops or slows growth, or having to trim a large amount due to accidental damage.
    Maintaining at classic in 2017

I don't think people usually set goals presumptuously, rather they are simply doing the math based on they know to be their growth rate, to estimate where they may be in a certain time frame. Personally, I wrote down when each milestone should happen, and that note which is now two years old, has been exactly right down to the month all along. I haven't trimmed so it's easy to estimate. I based it on the average half inch growth rate and it's been very accurate for me. I find it very encouraging to do the math to check how long it will be in a certain time frame or by a certain event.

Length
    0"/39.75/40"
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

I have never personally set a goal or made a prediction that I would be a certain length by a certain time. A long time ago, I realized I was in it to see where my terminal length would be. I do find it a bit crazy the predictions you see people make.
    Lady of the Lake

Most here anyway seem to take it a landmark at a time, with an end goal in sight years down the road (I know I did over my 4 year journey)...but the landmark goals keep them realistic while hopeful, and occasionally some do encounter stalls (for whatever reason) and some have frustrations.

When it becomes an obsession vs a fun process...then you have a problem....and some do!
    Last edited by Groovy Granny; March 17th, 2017 at 09:32 PM.

Length
    CBL/WL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I do it because I find it fun. I don't really care if I get there in time, I'm just going to see if I do. There are estimated times between each goal and I fix the markers as I grow. Again, for fun. So far I've been off 1 month, but ahead of schedule by 1 month. There will be times that I will be behind.