Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Olive oil?

Length
    BSL/Waist/TB
    Type
    2c/3a/C/ii/iii

Default Olive oil?

Does putting olive oil in your hair for an hour before washing it hold any benefits?

I'm Not Back! ;)
    Length
    18/18/28
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Olive oil?

Yes, olive oil locks in moisture. It, to a degree, will reduce the drying effect of using shampoo, when applied to the hair beforehand.
    Longhair in the making. I've got a bit of a ways to go but it's only a matter of time. 2nd try.

Olive oil is not the most penetrating oil, as it only goes slightly beyond the outer cuticle layer. It is better to be used to seal, coat, and lubricate the hair to prevent moisture loss and increase softness. Olive oil has a decent amount of short-chain triglycerides that will seep into the hair, but its molecules aren't polar, so it isn't interacting electrostatically, or being physically pulled into the hair shaft. Use it in combination with an extremely penetrating, polar oil to get the core and the scales of the hair shaft conditioned and then olive oils shellacking goodness on the outside of the shaft to keep the moisture in. If your hair is already very moisturized and you're just doing preventative maintenance, olive oil is an excellent choice.
    Last edited by triumphator!; August 30th, 2016 at 07:28 AM. Reason: sorry i rewrote this like 3 times

Length
    SL/mbl/???
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I like using olive oil over the top of coconut oil for an overnight soak. Makes hair feel great the next day.
    Last edited by diddiedaisy; August 30th, 2016 at 07:50 AM.
    shoulder 16" - apl 20" - bsb 24" -mbl 25" - waist 28" - hip 32" - bcl 36"

Length
    BSL/Waist/TB
    Type
    2c/3a/C/ii/iii

I use coconut oil after a shower and soak for an hour before s shower in olive oil, I just wondered if it was actually doing anything

Length
    BSL/Hip/?
    Type
    3c/4a/M/ii/iii

I use it in winter on damp hair in place of coconut oil or some times I'll use both then almond oil.
    Kay , BSL > MBL > Waist > Hip

Length
    24/31/37
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Ponymad21 View Post
    I use coconut oil after a shower and soak for an hour before s shower in olive oil, I just wondered if it was actually doing anything
    Triumphator explained it really well. It's just trial and error with oils, really. I like jojoba oil more as a pre-poo treatment than coconut oil for instance, even though coconut is a really good penetrating oil and jojoba oil isn't. Just figure our what your hair likes.

I'm Not Back! ;)
    Length
    18/18/28
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Ponymad21 View Post
    Yes, it's doing something. Just not a whole lot (the olive oil).
    If you notice using it is giving you better results than not using the pre-shower olive oil, keep doing it.

To simplify what umphie is saying - olive oil is more of a protectant than a moisture-maker.
    Longhair in the making. I've got a bit of a ways to go but it's only a matter of time. 2nd try.

Length
    4.7/22/26
    Type
    2c/F/ii

According to this pre oiling can prevent swelling of the hair? Triumphator probably explained exactly this. But I admit I didn't understand it very well

I should probably do this more often, as I liked olive oil. But I wasn't sure if it did anything.

CL/SL/CBL/APL/BSL/WAIST

Length
    birth/CLASS/long
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Olive oil works excellent for me, I also love it mixed with honey before a wash, it really does my hair a ton of good better than coconut oil but olive oil I buy is pretty pricey and I only use it sparingly now T_T

How can I control my life when I can't even control my hair!