Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Text-based Hair Tutorials

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Text-based Hair Tutorials

Vortex Bun

A multi strand cinnamon bun. Gather hair into a ponytail and secure with a hair tie. Create sections, the number depends on your thickness. Twist one section and wrap 1/2 turn around ponytail base and pin. Twist next section outside the first, not quite as far and pin. Continue until all sections have started. Pick up first section and wrap outside bun that has already formed until you reach the last pinned portion of the last section. Continue with each section, twisting and pinning around the exterior of the pinned bun until all length is bunned.

Some with thicker hair find this sectioning allows for better distribution that a single section cinnamon bun. Resulting bun is also flatter than a cinnamon bun.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Woven Bun

From: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ead.php?t=5502
    What you need:

Metal-free hair band
    2 hairsticks
    Hair pins (whatever you usually use to pin your hair will do)

Instructions:

Ponytail your hair and fasten with a metal-free hair band.
    Place the 2 sticks in an X shape (the sticks need to form 90° angles) behind the hair band in your hair.
    We will name the 4 ends of the shape “X” formed by the sticks like this: upper-left is A, lower-left is B, lower-right is C and upper-right is D. The X in the ‘diagram’ represents the 2 sticks.

AOOOD
    OOXOO
    BOOOC

Now, divide your hair in 4 equal-sized sections by first parting the ponytail in a vertical way, like this: l; then parting both halfs horizontally, like this: __. Once you have finished the style, you will see a plus-shape (+) in your bun.
    Number the strands: upper-left is 1, lower-left is 2, lower-right is 3, upper-left is 4.

1OlO4
    -------
    2OlO3

Now we will start the weaving. Take strand 1 (upper-left) and bring it UNDER point A (again, upper-left), OVER point B, UNDER point C, OVER point D, … Repeat this alternating under-over-movement until you run out of hair. Tuck the ends in and pin your first strand in place.
    Pick up strand 2. Bring it under B, over C, under D, over A, … Tuck and pin your second strand in place.
    Now pick up strand 3. Bring it under C, over D, under A, over B, … Tuck and pin the third strand in place.
    Pick up your last strand. Bring it under D, over A, under B, over C, … Tuck and pin the final strand in place.
    Done! Admire your work. Take a pic

So, the general pattern is: bring the strand under the nearest stick-end (1A, 2B, 3C, 4D), over the next, under-over-under-over-under-over-…
    If the instructions don't seem to make any sense at first, I suggest you just try it out. When I first saw the original ones, I was a bit confused, but as soon as I tried it, the pieces fell into place

Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Bump - how to add volume to the front without a bump-it

From Nightshade:
    Although being a member of the Tight-Bunned Mean Ladies Club is fun, sometimes a gentler, softer look is wanted.

This has been annoying me for awhile, that if I get a bit of lift at the front of my hair, the updo tends to be loose enough that it just pulls it flat again with the weight. So after some experimentation, I think I've struck on a method to get that lift while still meeting my must-have criteria:

When finished the updo must have-

No additional bobby pins, clips, rats/etc. Just one fork/stick.
    Needed to be fast and easy
    No product

Step 1- Make a half-up:
    Taking a section of hair at the crown of the head, I made a half-up and held the mini-ponytail at the top of the back of my head. Then I gave it a few twists (still holding it).

Then I pushed the twist up a bit, until a had a more soft lifted look at the front (don't worry if it looks a bit malformed at this stage, we'll fix that later).

To secure this (just for a bit) get either a bobby pin or a tiny claw clip. Secure the twist in the back.

Step 2- Make a Bun
    I've only tried this with buns that start with a twisted rope, such as a cinnabun or a Gibraltar bun, but I imagine it would work well for other variations as well. Being careful not to mess up the bobby pin too much, I gather all of the hair (halfup tail included) into a ponytail just below the point where the bobby pin is, and twist. Then make a bun and secure it with a stick, leaving the bobby pin/clip in place.

Step 3- Remove the Pin & Adjust Top/Front of Updo
    Take the pin out, and the uber-poof you had going is will relax a bit. Then, with your fingers, you can adust the top of the updo so the lift is more uniform. The halfup twist will stay in the same location at the back of your head, so unlike just a loose bun, it won't slouch backwards and pull your hair tight to your skull.

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

KarenLynn (KL) Knot Bun

From: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=18183
    You make a loop around two fingers, then wrap the length all the way clockwise around the base of loop, and then pull the length part way through forming a loop. Insert stick in one loop and out the other. Wrap the length around behind the stick.

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Celtic Knot Bun

With the celtic knot, you wrap the hair around two fingers and then pull only PART of the length through, so you end up with three loops: One from wrapping hair around two fingers, second one pulled part through the first loop, and the third from wrapping around the base. Wrap length behind as one hand holds these three loops. Secure with fork through first two loops and out third, or two hair sticks, one each through upper loops and both out third at bottom.

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Pretzel Bun

Gather hair into a ponytail, wrap up over hand and down, then around base clockwise, twice (may vary with length/thickness), then pull remaining length through loop around hand, pull length up and tuck behind bun. Secure on the sides with claw clips.

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Scarf Bun

From: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=102628
    STEP 1.
    -Start with making a pony. It doesn't have to be so high up if you don't want it to.
    -Tie a little scarf somewhere in the middle of your pony's length. Make sure that it ties all the layers together. The knot should face forward (facing your forehead)

Wrap the length of the bottom half of the ponytail around the scarf, near the knot. Then roll the scarf and hair up the ponytail, towards your head. All the length should now be wrapped like a tube around the scarf.

STEP 2
    When everything is rolled up, tie the ends of the scarf around behind the bun to secure it. Then tuck the ends of the scarf round inside the ends of the 'tube' of rolled hair.

STEP 3
    -place Amish/bobby pins to combine two parts of the roll at the bottom. It doesn't have to be perfect.
    -"spread" it well and adjust anything that might stick out.
    -it should resemble a sock bun at this point

STEP 4
    -either tie a decorative scarf/wide band/ribbon around it or use a scrunchie to hide any imperfections.
    And you're ready to go!

*Thank you to MusicalSpoons for contributions to this post! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...=1#post3518906
    Last edited by neko_kawaii; March 5th, 2018 at 09:26 PM.

mythical equestrian Lady Godiva's Avatar
    Length
    54in./77in./74in.
    Type
    1a/F/iii

In my original Log Roll tutorial from ages ago (2005/06/07?) at the old forums, there was no initial twisting as described here and in the YouTube video. I simply did just one initial twist of my hair at the nape, twisting the hair against itself and then moving onto the repeated wraps, also never twisted. The benefit is that multiple twists in one direction only become something that has to be untwisted after dropping the Log Roll (at least for super long hair), while twisting hair just one time against itself literally undoes all twisting upon dropping the Log Roll. As a related aside, this is why I never do rope braids; all that untwisting is a heck of a task to remove. Maybe it's my very fine hair, but just one twist in the Log Roll, and boom, the whole thing it nearly already detangled.
    Last edited by Lady Godiva; March 17th, 2024 at 12:00 PM. Reason: add Log Roll at the beginning
    My Articles: Log Roll Tutorial, Infinity Bun Tutorial - original site

Floor Length Hair: 1a F iii --- avatar: Lady Godiva by John Collier, 1898